HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XLIX All talk from around the league here

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hopefully. I like Elelr though I hope we can snag O'Rielly without giving Eller up.
It's either Eller or Desharnais that goes if we get O'Rielly (wishful thinking maybe?)

Say it's Desharnais, you probably also have to add Weber. But I don't think thats enough, what else?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

That's freakin Boston for you. You can say what you want about them. Losing 3-0 in the 3rd and then...it's tied going in OT. Just incredible.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:11 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
That's freakin Boston for you. You can say what you want about them. Losing 3-0 in the 3rd and then...it's tied going in OT. Just incredible.
It is the Rangers though, I believe we had a rather memorable come back against them.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:43 AM
The Right Price

Jarmo Kekalainen is going to be named the new General Manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets in a few hours! First European GM in the NHL! What an achievement! Many congratulations to him!

Old
02-13-2013, 06:35 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right Price View Post
Jarmo Kekalainen is going to be named the new General Manager of the Columbus Blue Jackets in a few hours! First European GM in the NHL! What an achievement! Many congratulations to him!
Agreed. Hopefully there's some light at the end of the tunnel for the Blue Jackets.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:41 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Jarmo is an incredible talent evaluator. Columbus fans should be excited.

02-13-2013, 06:50 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
It's either Eller or Desharnais that goes if we get O'Rielly (wishful thinking maybe?)

Say it's Desharnais, you probably also have to add Weber. But I don't think thats enough, what else?
Yeah it really is wishful thinking but DD + Diaz + 3rd is his value at the moment I think. He's an unsigned RFA and most blockbuster deals recently have been three quarters for a dollar anyway.

If it were up to me I'd trade Gionta and DD for RoR but Gio has a no trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Yeah it really is wishful thinking but DD + Diaz + 3rd is his value at the moment I think. He's an unsigned RFA and most blockbuster deals recently have been three quarters for a dollar anyway.

If it were up to me I'd trade Gionta and DD for RoR but Gio has a no trade.
Lower taxes in Denver, maybe he'd be willing to go.

The 10-15% difference for him could mean ~750,000 for him next year, makes a move worthwhile.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:27 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Lower taxes in Denver, maybe he'd be willing to go.

The 10-15% difference for him could mean ~750,000 for him next year, makes a move worthwhile.
Bergevin might not have the balls to ask Gio to move though. Also Gio might have "intangible" value to the team which we cannot discern and Bergevin finds paramount.

Gio + DD seems like a fair enough trade in terms of value but who really knows.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:58 AM
SnapVirus

Why is O'Reilly so high in everybody's list?

DD had 60pts in his first pro-season.
O'Reilly got 55pts on his 3rd.

He's 6foot, but dont hit. So whats the matter?

Grass is not allways greener on the other side.

If we're to trade Eller or DD, why dont we trade one or the other, for something bigger. Instead of 4 quarters for a dollars.

Eller could easily become as 'good' as O'Reilly.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Rgolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post

If we're to trade Eller or DD, why dont we trade one or the other, for something bigger. Instead of 4 quarters for a dollars.
Misleading stat. Even in OReillys 3rd season, hes still 4 years younger than Desharnais in his first full season. NTM OReilly wasnt blessed with Patches and Cole as linemates

Old
02-13-2013, 08:02 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Eller could easily become as 'good' as O'Reilly.
Because those players aren't going to get us that something bigger unless we add more pieces, prospects and picks

Old
02-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

O'reilly is a nice player. Ideally a #3 on a powerhouse team a la J.Staal, but I don't think a trade for him is worth it...because he will requre an expensive contract that he may struggle to live up to(asking for 5 years 25 mil) plus you have to give up pick/prospect/player assets much like the Kessel deal.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
O'reilly is a nice player. Ideally a #3 on a powerhouse team a la J.Staal, but I don't think a trade for him is worth it...because he will requre an expensive contract that he may struggle to live up to(asking for 5 years 25 mil) plus you have to give up pick/prospect/player assets much like the Kessel deal.
At the same time Desharnais is going to need a contract for next year, so what do we do with him. Is he worth 3.5 4 million a year?

Old
02-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
At the same time Desharnais is going to need a contract for next year, so what do we do with him. Is he worth 3.5 4 million a year?
That depends on how he does the last 36 games. If he is to get that much he'd have to put up around 30 points the last 36 games or have a big playoffs. I see him more in the range that PK and Price got 2 years and around 5-6 mil. That makes him easy to move with good value if needed.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:

You guys really never watched ROR play. Big, fast, skilled and shows up in physical, important games. He's the type of player you go to war with. Comparing his stats to DD is ridiculous. DD can't win faceoffs, is terrible at defensive coverage and gets rolled over by bigger teams. Not sure what DD's home/away stats are but I'm guessing most of his points are at the Bell. The only reason DD is not sitting out right now is because the media would make a huge deal out of it.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

would definitely try to trade for O'Reilly. He is a but hyped cause of the hold out, but he is the type of center every team needs. Great two way center, gritty and had vision.

To those talking about DD going forward, this team can not have him as a top 2 next season if they want to be competitive. Re-signing him IMO is a not an option. (and its not only cause of this season)

Old
02-13-2013, 08:29 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

With Montreal taxes I think he'd want a really big contract, which wouldn't be justified.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
FinnHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Jarmo is an incredible talent evaluator. Columbus fans should be excited.

Columbus made right choice. Gongrats Kekäläinen!

Old
02-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post

You guys really never watched ROR play. Big, fast, skilled and shows up in physical, important games. He's the type of player you go to war with. Comparing his stats to DD is ridiculous. DD can't win faceoffs, is terrible at defensive coverage and gets rolled over by bigger teams. Not sure what DD's home/away stats are but I'm guessing most of his points are at the Bell. The only reason DD is not sitting out right now is because the media would make a huge deal out of it.
I'm not comparing him with DD. Just saying that assuming he will be a #2 on a contender is a mistake. I don't think he is worth what he will cost in contract and assets.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:06 AM
DenverHabsFan

Quote:
I'm not comparing him with DD. Just saying that assuming he will be a #2 on a contender is a mistake. I don't think he is worth what he will cost in contract and assets.
Most contenders don't have Malkin/Crosby as #1/#2 centers so he's a solid #2 on any team imo. I would compare ROR to merging Prust with Pleks. Not sure what contract he's looking for. That could be the real problem. Plus, how could MB break his "bridge" structure to attract him here? It's unlikely to happen but that would be a huge step in the right direction for the Habs. There are just too many soft players still on the team.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
link ?
I said ''likely'', seeing how we never underpaid for UFAs and looking at how much we signed Prust for. Not to mention, Doan has been playing for the same organization since his early days, so I doubt he would come here at a lower cap hit.

Quote:
So what would have happened in this scenario?

CBA is as currently is and gets settled in October with 82 game schedule. You sign Semin 1 year 6 mil.
EXCEPT no compliance buyouts and as per CBA you can't "bury" cap hits in the minors. You end up having to either pay somebody to take Gomez(2nd or 1st rounder) or trade a player you don't WANT to move. Makes no sense to spend over the cap until the CBA parameters are known.
Why would the CBA be as currently is, without compliance buyouts??
That's what we had early on and they readjusted because NHLPA wasn't going to stand for players staying at home for the rest of the year (let alone a full 82game one).
We can't go into what ifs. We had the previous CBA in July, and under it, we could have signed him. Lockout happened, and we signed a new deal, under it, we could have signed Semin as well.

If the CBA remained the same as the last one, then we could have buried someone.

As I said, we should have went after him. All you're talking about are details though. The main issue I had was that Bergevin said he wasn't interested right from the start. So he didn't know how much he would ask, maybe Semin would have agreed to a 2y deal at 5M, instead of 1y 7M, who knows. He was never approached.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Everytime i see the Canucks and Kassian play, damn i'm jealous. He is everything that the Habs need since A LOT of years. He's big, good shot, good top 6 winger, hit like a truck and a good fighter! I wanted him to drop so bad in the draft so that we could have drafted him instead of Leblanc...

I want him!

Last edited by Hannibal: 02-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Et le But

The only way I see us getting ROR is by trading Eller, a defenseman and picks. Plus he wants to get paid. If the Avs organization values him even half as much as HFboards fans do it would take significant overpayment.

Kekalainen was a good choice for the Jackets....his draft record with the Blues is great, looks like nobody is ripping off the Blue Jackets anytime soon.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:13 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I said ''likely'', seeing how we never underpaid for UFAs and looking at how much we signed Prust for. Not to mention, Doan has been playing for the same organization since his early days, so I doubt he would come here at a lower cap hit
So, you just decided to use those numbers without anything of substance to back it up. O.K.

(your previous post, you said Habs were offering more than what he signed for so...)

Closed Thread