HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs fans' opinons of Bulis

Old
07-07-2006, 11:26 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Habs fans' opinons of Bulis

So here's the deal:

San Jose could probably use a new LW for the first line since Ekman has been good, but not great. When I was browsing the FA list, Jan Bulis seemed to jump out at me as a possibility. So I looked up the TSN/Sportsnet player page (they use exactly the same info now) and got this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSN & Sportsnet
Assets -Has a strong lower body and is difficult to knock off the puck. Is defensively responsible, skates well and complements scoring forwards well.

Flaws -Needs to use his shot more. Must improve his consistency. The jury is still out on whether he can score enough to be a top-six forward.

Career potential -Two-way left-winger.
Would you guys say this is an accurate representation of Bulis? Judging by that, I would think that playing with both a quality assist man (Joe) and a pure goal-scorer (Cheechoo) might force Bulis to make full use of all his skills, and the line could surely benefit from Bulis' two-way efficiency.

Of course, that's just going by what I know of Bulis (which I admit is very little) and what TSN/Sportsnet's scouting report says. If you think this isn't a proper description of him, please fill me in on the mistakes.

Also, what would you think it might take to sign Bulis? He made a little over $1 million last year if I'm not mistaken, and hasn't seen significant growth in his point production in the last few seasons. Would a 3 year contract at somewhere in the $1.5 million neighbourhood be fair value?

Thanks.

The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:32 PM
MasterD

Bulis has shown signs of talent, but on most nights he shows no finish... creates lots of chances for himself, can rarely put the final touch to it though. Has some passing skills, but nothing stunning.

He's out of here because he says he can play an offensive role and wasnt given that chance here (although he HAS played a lot in the top 6 in the last few season, and you see his points totals...)

If you can tolerate having a 40-50 points guy on your first line, then yes he's your guy... And I think if you up your salary just a little it would be fair value.. 1.8/year for 3 years seems good to me.

Actually, in short, I agree with that TSN resume...

EDIT: I would think Ekman is better suited for 1st line duties, but I havent seen him play all that often... Bulis might be better on the backcheck, but I think Ekman has more offensive upside/skills

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:32 PM
DerekT

If last year is any judge, Bulis might have some flashes of brilliance, but otherwise his hands of stone will end more scoring chances without a goal than you'd like.

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:35 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Good PKer, has speed and is reliable on defence.
Lacks character, grit, effort and finish.

1.5M is fair but I don't sse any indication that fairness determines the market right now.

sXe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:39 PM
Riggins

Bulis is solid as a 3rd line LW. Good speed and he'll get his chances but his hands are pretty brutal. After his season in the Czech Republic during the lockout he thinks he can cut it as a scorer, but you don't want him on a line with Thornton. He would blow so many chances.

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:47 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
Good PKer, has speed and is reliable on defence.
Lacks character, grit, effort and finish.

1.5M is fair but I don't sse any indication that fairness determines the market right now.
Exactly. The biggest issue with Bulis was his reluctance to pay the price to dig the puck out of the corners or in traffic.

Seems terribly affraid to take a body check, although he doesn't mind dishing it out himself.

Super fast, seems to get scoring chances by the dozen but only finishes on a faction.

To me his defensive play took a major nose dive last season. He used to be a reliable PKer - but last season, the Habs PK was terrible until Gainey took over from Julien and took Bulis off the PK. The PK progressively improved from that point on. I can't say if Bulis was the direct cause of the crappy first half-season PK - the change in coaching philosophy may very well have been a larger contributor. And reducing Sundstrom's PK time probably helped too.

In the end Bulis is a good filler to complement most teams as he can play a little everywhere, even if there's not much flash. As long as the salary would be reasonable. sXe's $1.5M figure would be right, but I'm sure he'll cost more in this market.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:53 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfast View Post
Bulis is solid as a 3rd line LW. Good speed and he'll get his chances but his hands are pretty brutal. After his season in the Czech Republic during the lockout he thinks he can cut it as a scorer, but you don't want him on a line with Thornton. He would blow so many chances.
True. How you been man? Still working in Lansdowne?

KOMO_ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:55 PM
centsfan

I'va always liked Bulis. He's quite fast and reliable in his own zone. Creates lot of opportunities. OK, he misses most them, but when it works, you will see 4 goals games, as against Philly.

As it was said, he doesn't like being hit. That sad. Might very well be the reason lots of people don't like him much. Remember that lots of other players don't like that too!

Also, you are talking about a guy who had his best season out there. He was, at a time, 2nd scorer in Montreal (OK, that doesn't mean anything, anybody can be the Habs 2nd scorer ). I'd give him 1.8, what means he'll get 2.2-2.5

centsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Bulis on the left side of Thornton and Cheechoo??

Hello career year!

Although, you could put a garbage can on the left side and it could probably get 100 points

Owen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:02 AM
centsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post

Hello career year!

Although, you could put a garbage can on the left side and it could probably get 100 points
... until playoffs come!

centsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:04 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Wilson View Post

Hello career year!

Not necessarily. Ekman is supposed to have a little bit of offense in him and he finished last year with 57 points, which looks miniscule next to Joe and Cheech's totals. My thought was that Bulis might have a little more offensive potential in him, and that playing with Thornton and Cheechoo could open that up a little.

Thanks for the input everyone.

The Nemesis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:12 AM
StanAjax

There's another thread called just "Jan Bulis" with more answers if you make a quick search and want more people giving their opinions on Bulis.

I'm not sure he would be better thant Ekman, but I don't know this guy that much.

I believe you may have better solutions than Bulis in your own team.

I wouldn't hope for much better stats than Ekman's, especially considering that Thornton was not there for the first month or two.

StanAjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Would you guys say this is an accurate representation of Bulis? Judging by that, I would think that playing with both a quality assist man (Joe) and a pure goal-scorer (Cheechoo) might force Bulis to make full use of all his skills, and the line could surely benefit from Bulis' two-way efficiency.

Of course, that's just going by what I know of Bulis (which I admit is very little) and what TSN/Sportsnet's scouting report says. If you think this isn't a proper description of him, please fill me in on the mistakes.
Some good answers already but I'll just give my quick thoughts on Bulis. The report is pretty accurate in describing what he brings to the table.

Very fast, hard working player who plays well in all zones. Offensive instincts are good but he lacks finish. What I mean is he can work hard and create some chances but he'll rarely bury them. In terms of passing abilities he's decent, nothing great but he's got pretty good vision.

He's good on the PK and won't make many mistakes in his own zone. He's a good skater and he'll backcheck hard but the corners are the big worry. He seems to really like to hit and he's really layed some people out. However, he often times seems reluctant to go into the corners if he knows he'll get hit, choosing to give up the puck rather than take a hit.

Basically a frustatring player. You see the skill, but he rarely produces and thus ends up being a decent 3rd liner when he could be a very solid two way guy if he buried more of his chances and was more agressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
Also, what would you think it might take to sign Bulis? He made a little over $1 million last year if I'm not mistaken, and hasn't seen significant growth in his point production in the last few seasons. Would a 3 year contract at somewhere in the $1.5 million neighbourhood be fair value?

Thanks.
Imo (and I really have no clue how the market will work for him) I think it's a pretty good offer. Maybe something like 3 years 1.5, 1.75, 2.0 million. He's only 28, which means he's still young enough but likely won't improve much as a player.

Would he be a good fit in SJ? I think he could work there. That's a fast team and Bulis could thrive with all that speed. Would he be a good fit on the top lines? I don't know. With Thornton and Cheechoo almost anyone could look good, but I don't know if Bulis actually good enough to be a asset to a line like that or if he'd rather just be filling a spot.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:15 AM
znk

I used to really like Bulis but 2nd half of last year I didnt like him verry much.

Here's one thing you'll here alot. "And Bulis fans on the shot!"

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:20 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

He definately lack consistency. He's a whiner and easily gets knocked off the puck.. He loses almost all of his battles for looses pucks... He's good to carry it into the offensive zone but after that he usually make a bad play or lose it when it gets physical.

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Complaining Customer

He'd get 30/35 goals playing with Thornton IMO. And he can be of great use in other situations.

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
Exactly. The biggest issue with Bulis was his reluctance to pay the price to dig the puck out of the corners or in traffic.

Seems terribly affraid to take a body check, although he doesn't mind dishing it out himself.

Super fast, seems to get scoring chances by the dozen but only finishes on a faction.

To me his defensive play took a major nose dive last season. He used to be a reliable PKer - but last season, the Habs PK was terrible until Gainey took over from Julien and took Bulis off the PK. The PK progressively improved from that point on. I can't say if Bulis was the direct cause of the crappy first half-season PK - the change in coaching philosophy may very well have been a larger contributor. And reducing Sundstrom's PK time probably helped too.

In the end Bulis is a good filler to complement most teams as he can play a little everywhere, even if there's not much flash. As long as the salary would be reasonable. sXe's $1.5M figure would be right, but I'm sure he'll cost more in this market.
I think you guys ask too much of your smaller players. See what not having a big center man does. The last time I checked his stats at NHL.com he was up there in hits on the team. He does apply himself unless that is another blown up stat.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE CHARGERS View Post
I think you guys ask too much of your smaller players. See what not having a big center man does. The last time I checked his stats at NHL.com he was up there in hits on the team. He does apply himself unless that is another blown up stat.
You have it right- he does hit. Pretty good checks too usually. Like I said "he likes dishing it out himself".

His major flaw is his unwillingness to pay the price if it means taking the hit from another player to obtain puck possession. He also lacks character and has so far never shown up in the playoffs.

On the other hand my "he can play a little everywhere" comment is a plus - I mean he's a useful player that can contribute offensively at times, can play center or wing, or can be used as a PKer in a defensive role. He's also played PP but didn't look very good at that.

His main asset is his speed which results in many scoring chances - but he also has hands of stone so he only converts on a small fraction of them.

I think I gave a pretty fair & balanced assessment in my previous post. He's a very useful player to have on your team. But that depends on how much you want to pay for a guy that's average at everything he does. I'm guessing he's asking too much at this point, which is possibly why he hasn't signed anywhere yet.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:55 AM
boomboom

If it was not for Pleck., Higgins... I thing Bulis would have signed with the Habs again. He is a great PK, fast, can score...but always played with crapy line mates (Sundstrom, Juneau, Dackel...) This year, he got a few tries on the first and second line and got 20 goals. keep in mind that everyone got a crapy year, so Bulis 20 goals could have been 30. But again, he is scared of getting hit and complains...
Still, good NHL player with some experience (only 27 or 28 and has been playing for 9 years now)

boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote