HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly Headed to Offer Sheet or Trade?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 09:18 PM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
When a player holds out it greatly affects their market value. When a player is reportedly "never playing for his team again" it drastically decreases his value. Sure there will be a bidding war, but a bidding war starting at bare minimum is a lot less than a bidding war starting at the market value for a 21 year old 55 point defensively solid C.
Says who, you?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:19 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
Yeah, so he won't be back with the Avs. Yay, you're right on one thing. Internet victory. He has not even been traded for less than market value yet, or to the Leafs. And yeah, 90% of Leafs offers are garbage. Did you see some of the things that were offered? Or did you casually skip over those? And yeah, coming into this thread and rubbing stuff in from the past, makes you come across as an immature idiot, sorry to break it to you. "im so happy it worked out like this gets them down from their high horse. " so obviously trying to incite Avs fans. I think I should go back and rub into Leafs fans every thread they've been wrong it. I'll start with the Phil Kessel one, where they were all insisting those picks would not be lottery picks.
This is how the last one started Every Av's fans where the Leafs are involved, every single one... Sorry but i shared my feelings on a situation and myself and my team were attacked for it. Sorry if it hurts now, but some fans, not saying its you because it probably wasnt, should have respected me from the start and the ill feelings wouldnt be here.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:20 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Says who, you?
Are you seriously going to argue that his value now is equal to what it would be if he werent holding out, wasnt reporting to his team and wasnt demanding 5 million after 1 season worthy?

Old
avsfan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
When a player holds out it greatly affects their market value. When a player is reportedly "never playing for his team again" it drastically decreases his value. Sure there will be a bidding war, but a bidding war starting at bare minimum is a lot less than a bidding war starting at the market value for a 21 year old 55 point defensively solid C.
Why would his value be decreased? He's the same player as you described in the last sentence. The Avs just had an issue with his contract demands and spoiled the relationship between the two.

His value is still that of a 55pt selke level defensive center. Teams are willing to pay alot for that. The Avs have no reason to let him go for less than his worth. He won't sign a offer sheet because if he does, theres a chance the Avs match and he gets stuck in a bad situation. The Avs will wait it out and find the right deal.

Old
Terrence
Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth93 View Post
Why?
Similar value, both young players, deal a player from a position of strength (defensemen) for a position of weakness (centres).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Bozak + Gardiner
I'd consider this. Would do it if the Avs added a D prospect or a 2nd/3rd.

02-12-2013, 09:21 PM
12345*

Quote:
Sure there will be a bidding war, but a bidding war starting at bare minimum is a lot less than a bidding war starting at the market value for a 21 year old 55 point defensively solid C.

One 53 point season doesn't make you a 55 point center, which I'm figuring is Colorado's argument - just like Kulemin isn't a 30 goal scorer.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:22 PM
DesertDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Yup. Avs gonna want a top 5 pick +.
reason to tank to get that top 5 pick and also trade RO'R to further tweak the line-up for next season. Now to think of it, the Avs getting a top 5 pick may be worth more than resigning RO'R this season. It could all be a ploy to get that pick (conspiracy theory)...

Old
02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
His value is still that of a 55pt selke level defensive center.
No its not. That is Patrice Bergeron level. One 55 point season doesn't make you a consummate 55 point scorer.

Old
Avs44

Quote:
Are you seriously going to argue that his value now is equal to what it would be if he werent holding out, wasnt reporting to his team and wasnt demanding 5 million after 1 season worthy?
Don't see where I said that....? I just disagree that the bidding will start out at bare minimum. Minimum seems to imply that teams will start by offering literally nothing. Is that what you are saying?

Old
avsfan09

Quote:
One 53 point season doesn't make you a 55 point center, which I'm figuring is Colorado's argument - just like Kulemin isn't a 30 goal scorer.
No lol but a 55 point season does.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Why would his value be decreased? He's the same player as you described in the last sentence. The Avs just had an issue with his contract demands and spoiled the relationship between the two.

His value is still that of a 55pt selke level defensive center. Teams are willing to pay alot for that. The Avs have no reason to let him go for less than his worth. He won't sign a offer sheet because if he does, theres a chance the Avs match and he gets stuck in a bad situation. The Avs will wait it out and find the right deal.
The Avs may wait it out, however teams will take advantage of a poor situation. As an Av fan would it not be better to get something rather than nothing? Im sure that mentaility is ubiquitous across the league and GM's well start with a low-ball deal that in other circumstances would be laughed at. That would initiate the bidding war and will be the starting point. You also have to factor in that the well known price tag is 5 million, and by that he limits the teams that can fit him under the cap without a dump going back. His situation adds variables that wouldnt normally be there decreasing his value.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Avs44

Quote:
I know its small...but stop saying he only scored 53 points....he scored 55.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:26 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
No its not. That is Patrice Bergeron level. One 55 point season doesn't make you a consummate 55 point scorer.
Bergeron was almost PPG. He's not on his level but he has that potential.

Old
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Don't see where I said that....? I just disagree that the bidding will start out at bare minimum. Minimum seems to imply that teams will start by offering literally nothing. Is that what you are saying?
You cant offer literally nothing, but in a situation like this a lot of offers that would otherwise be laughable may be the initial offer by GMs trying to get a player in a bad situation for under market value. If he was being offered as a 21 year old C whose being dealt because of depth than the offer likely would start at a similar calibre payer of another position or a top prospect +, in this position i highly doubt that'll be the case.

Old
McTank

Sekera(top pairing shutdown D) + Girgensons(14th overall pick in 2012 draft)

Old
02-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
The Avs may wait it out, however teams will take advantage of a poor situation. As an Av fan would it not be better to get something rather than nothing? Im sure that mentaility is ubiquitous across the league and GM's well start with a low-ball deal that in other circumstances would be laughed at. That would initiate the bidding war and will be the starting point. You also have to factor in that the well known price tag is 5 million, and by that he limits the teams that can fit him under the cap without a dump going back. His situation adds variables that wouldnt normally be there decreasing his value.
Link? I havent heard anything about 5 mil. Per season and long-term.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:29 PM
12345*

Quote:
The longer the Avs wait, the less teams will offer. This is a 21 year old not playing games. Young players aren't a sure thing and regression is always a worry. If O'Reilly doesn't play an entire season, I can't see anyone wanting to pay his desired price tag and give up what the Avs want.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshie97 View Post
Ok so you don't move him, take him to arbitration and get a lower salary.... He'll be pissed off and want nothing to do with the organization. Your back to square one and just wasted time. Trade him for the best offer you get and be done with it.
No, you got that wrong.

The Avs don't want a one year contract because they don't want to go to arbitration with him next year.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
The longer the Avs wait, the less teams will offer. This is a 21 year old not playing games. Young players aren't a sure thing and regression is always a worry. If O'Reilly doesn't play an entire season, I can't see anyone wanting to pay his desired price tag and give up what the Avs want.
Have you ever seen Oreilly play? He has great work ethic. No point talking about regression with this guy. He will only get better.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Der Jaeger

Joel Armia and either Mark Pysyk or Andrej Sekera from Buffalo.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:33 PM
12345*

Quote:
Bergeron was almost PPG. He's not on his level but he has that potential.
Hes a 60 point guy post injury, but that's just semantics.

He wants to be paid like Patrice Bergeron even though he isn't there yet. Albeit, Bergeron is on a great contract, probably underpaid by 1-1.5mil

Old
Avs44

Quote:
You cant offer literally nothing, but in a situation like this a lot of offers that would otherwise be laughable may be the initial offer by GMs trying to get a player in a bad situation for under market value. If he was being offered as a 21 year old C whose being dealt because of depth than the offer likely would start at a similar calibre payer of another position or a top prospect +, in this position i highly doubt that'll be the case.
So they are going to lowball? Seems a great way to build good relations around the league, especially when the Avs have named their price. The Avs want a roster player and top prospect. You can think they won't get that all you want, that remains to be seen. A player like O'Reilly will be in high demand. If another GM lowballs, sure, that's great. His offer would probably just get beaten by another team. We might not see overpayment for O'Reilly, but I expect demand will get us a fair return.

Old
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Have you ever seen Oreilly play? He has great work ethic. No point talking about regression with this guy. He will only get better.
If that were the case, why not sign the likely bridge contract similar to Matt Duchene?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Link? I havent heard anything about 5 mil. Per season and long-term.
Quote:
The Avs' contract offers to their leading scorer from last season remain two years at $7 million or five years at about $17 million. While the differences on a two-year deal are much closer than a five-year deal (O'Reilly wants in the neighborhood of $25 million on that one), the Avs appear to have drawn a line in the sand with their offers.
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...fer-sheet-come

Unless things changed in the last 5 days

Old
02-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Crisp Breakout

Quote:
If that were the case, why not sign the likely bridge contract similar to Matt Duchene?
Because he considers that a slap in the face. He feels he's worth more than Duchene the "spoiled shiny toy".

Closed Thread