HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Bryz/Goaltending Thread #7

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  #776
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yeah he seems to be losing interest/focus a bit ...at least the last two games but he's still much better than last year. I mean at some point I think he's going to pull a Chechmanek if they don't provide more goal support. He already wigged out on G on the ice and told him to "calm down" ....flailing his stick and arms
i agree with that. this team really sucks tho. i don't think he's been weaker lately based off the goal totals which would just be too obvious to blame. "he let in 4 he's weak". the goals against from carolina and toronto for the most part were insanely ridiculous coverage breakdowns or turnovers and in one instance an insane goal by skinner top right corner with about 3 inches to shoot at. a little more rebound control would be nice but same time you need guys there to clear. bryzgalov is just gonna have to battle through and kick it up a notch cause we blow. i also never thought i'd say grossmann sucks but he's been a little rough these last couple games.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 05:47 PM
  #777
FlyingHigh28*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i agree with that. this team really sucks tho. i don't think he's been weaker lately based off the goal totals which would just be too obvious to blame. "he let in 4 he's weak". the goals against from carolina and toronto for the most part were insanely ridiculous coverage breakdowns or turnovers and in one instance an insane goal by skinner top right corner with about 3 inches to shoot at. a little more rebound control would be nice but same time you need guys there to clear. bryzgalov is just gonna have to battle through and kick it up a notch cause we blow. i also never thought i'd say grossmann sucks but he's been a little rough these last couple games.
You don't acquire stud defensemen at the age of 27 for only a 2nd round draft pick. He's a decent defensive defenseman, but he offers less than nothing on the offensive end. And even in his better half of the ice, he's not a shutdown master. He's an OK defenseman. Anyone who makes him out to be more is kidding themselves.

People around here do the same type of overhyping with Braydon Coburn. "Well if he could just bring it in the regular season like he does in the playoffs". "He shows signs of good offense, one of these days he's going to put it all together". Well, no, he's not. He is what he is. Braydon Coburn is a mediocre #2 or more likely a good #3 on a championship team.

FlyingHigh28* is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 05:58 PM
  #778
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
You don't acquire stud defensemen at the age of 27 for only a 2nd round draft pick. He's a decent defensive defenseman, but he offers less than nothing on the offensive end. And even in his better half of the ice, he's not a shutdown master. He's an OK defenseman. Anyone who makes him out to be more is kidding themselves.

People around here do the same type of overhyping with Braydon Coburn. "Well if he could just bring it in the regular season like he does in the playoffs". "He shows signs of good offense, one of these days he's going to put it all together". Well, no, he's not. He is what he is. Braydon Coburn is a mediocre #2 or more likely a good #3 on a championship team.
We do that a lot here in Philly and it starts from the top (GM) down (fans). We tend to overrate our players sometimes and pin labels on them or put them in roles/categories that are not best suited to what they truly are....Richards and Carter were made to be cornerstones of this team and compared to Crosby and Malkin. We made them elite when really they were just very good complementary players. I agree with your assessments of Grossmann and Coburn....they already are what they are as players. Expecting more is just setting yourself up for disappointment not to mention discord from a team chemistry perspective.

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
  #779
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHigh28 View Post
You don't acquire stud defensemen at the age of 27 for only a 2nd round draft pick. He's a decent defensive defenseman, but he offers less than nothing on the offensive end. And even in his better half of the ice, he's not a shutdown master. He's an OK defenseman. Anyone who makes him out to be more is kidding themselves.

People around here do the same type of overhyping with Braydon Coburn. "Well if he could just bring it in the regular season like he does in the playoffs". "He shows signs of good offense, one of these days he's going to put it all together". Well, no, he's not. He is what he is. Braydon Coburn is a mediocre #2 or more likely a good #3 on a championship team.
You kinda took my comment on grossmann and made a whacked out assumption on what you think mine (and i guess a lot of people's) perception is on him. I don't think anybody think's he's anything more than he is and what you described. a decent defensive defenseman. but i'd add strong and consistent too. He's played a really smart and dependable game for us and has been huge at times especially against top lines and he's just had some rough games recently. i agree about coburn. coburn's hype comes from his size and the draft. I know i'm not confused about what's great and whats just good especially having witnessed greatness up close for the last 2 3 years with pronger. its been startling to watch how fast your system can become worthless when you don't have the right guys to execute it.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:01 PM
  #780
MrHockey1982
Registered User
 
MrHockey1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Can we please get an ILYA ILYA ILYA chant going on at the next home game? He has been unreal

MrHockey1982 is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 11:58 PM
  #781
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Can we please get an ILYA ILYA ILYA chant going on at the next home game? He has been unreal

agreed. Bryz, again, bailed this team out.

clear cut MVP of the Flyers thus far.

in my view, anybody complaining about ANYTHING he has done thus far, has just got an ax to grind with him [or his contract]

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  #782
Flyersfan139
Registered User
 
Flyersfan139's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Exton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Can we please get an ILYA ILYA ILYA chant going on at the next home game? He has been unreal
Yeah this needs to happen!

Flyersfan139 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 AM
  #783
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
This 7th iteration Bryz thread...later modified to include Leighton was begun in early January. If he was playing like trash I wonder if we'd be on the 8th or 9th iteration or more...

Luckily Bryz has been the most consistent player thus far this season otherwise our record right now would be pretty bad....like Columbus/Howson bad....

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:38 AM
  #784
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 32,480
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
agreed. Bryz, again, bailed this team out.

clear cut MVP of the Flyers thus far.

in my view, anybody complaining about ANYTHING he has done thus far, has just got an ax to grind with him [or his contract]
well you know I was one of his detractors last season. But we will leave that where it belongs in the past.
This year hes been fantastic. They likely would only have 1 or 2 wins if it wasnt for him.

GoneFullHextall is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
  #785
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
well you know I was one of his detractors last season. But we will leave that where it belongs in the past.
This year hes been fantastic. They likely would only have 1 or 2 wins if it wasnt for him.
I was doubtful at times in the past, but Bryz has certainly earned his keep so far this season. He just looks so much calmer in there this year. It also doesn't hurt that he's trimmed down and looks much quicker.

flyershockey is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:55 AM
  #786
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,664
vCash: 500
He's following the puck better as well, which was his one glaring weakness at the start of the season.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 03:08 AM
  #787
LohiJ
Registered User
 
LohiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
So happy for Bryz. Takes some mental strength to bounce back from last season.

LohiJ is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
  #788
SAINDON
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The First State
Country: United States
Posts: 1,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Can we please get an ILYA ILYA ILYA chant going on at the next home game? He has been unreal
I'll be the next home game...lets make this happen. It would be epic!

SAINDON is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
  #789
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
This 7th iteration Bryz thread...later modified to include Leighton was begun in early January. If he was playing like trash I wonder if we'd be on the 8th or 9th iteration or more...
try 13th. there is something to be said for the Bryz critics of last year, who are still posting this year, as Bryz excels .... a few are .... very few

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:14 PM
  #790
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,664
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
try 13th. there is something to be said for the Bryz critics of last year, who are still posting this year, as Bryz excels .... a few are .... very few
We've covered this a million times. There's less to talk about when everyone agrees he's doing well. Your attempts to maintain that there's some anti-Bryz cabal are very, very tired and without basis in any reality. People for the most part are anti-bad goaltending. Or more widely, anti-bad playing. People are going to talk and debate more about players doing badly than they will players doing well.


To prove this point, look at discussion for other players. Giroux is still struggling, so he gets discussed a lot. Briere struggles a lot at even strength so he gets discussed. Voracek is doing better, suddenly he's discussed less. Read gets little discussion besides "hey, good job!", Foster and Gervais get mentioned often because they aren't good. Bryzgalov was discussed a lot last year because he was terrible last year, and a terrible goaltender can have a disproportionate impact on the team. He's doing well this year, so he's discussed less..except to say "hey, good job!". Just like every other player who's doing fine. It fits the pattern.

On top of that, everyone agrees he's doing fine. Which is different from last year, where the majority could see he wasn't good and a select few refused to see that and defended him in every tiny way possible. One of these things generates more discussion than the other. It's just how it works.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:19 PM
  #791
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LohiJ View Post
So happy for Bryz. Takes some mental strength to bounce back from last season.
i'm happy for US. Flyers fans. we NEED this & deserve this. we've waited TOO long for solid & sometimes spectacular goaltending around here. if he keeps this up, this could be the best netminding since Hexy [round 1]. his play is the key, he's gotta keep it up. his overall quickness, puck tracking, puck handling are noticeably improved. greatly. maybe he lost weight, trained harder, who's to know for sure. he's shown leadership & calmness, as well. I also like how hes been pretty quiet with the media.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:59 PM
  #792
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i'm happy for US. Flyers fans. we NEED this & deserve this. we've waited TOO long for solid & sometimes spectacular goaltending around here. if he keeps this up, this could be the best netminding since Hexy [round 1]. his play is the key, he's gotta keep it up. his overall quickness, puck tracking, puck handling are noticeably improved. greatly. maybe he lost weight, trained harder, who's to know for sure. he's shown leadership & calmness, as well. I also like how hes been pretty quiet with the media.
yea. he's awesome. but the problem is there's no consolation to him being our best player cause our team sucks compared to what we all thought they'd be.

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 06:03 PM
  #793
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 41,664
vCash: 500
It's nice that in his few bad games this year, he's generally been mediocre. Last year if he had a bad game it was generally disastrous. That's a big improvement in consistency and what one would expect from a franchise goaltender.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 06:12 PM
  #794
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
yea. he's awesome. but the problem is there's no consolation to him being our best player cause our team sucks compared to what we all thought they'd be.
i remain hopeful. offense can gel, a player acquired, a system learned to perfection ..... but solid netminding has GOT to be there, as the foundation. it would appear we have that.

they are not too far down in the standings ...

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 06:46 PM
  #795
funghoul
retardo montalbon
 
funghoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: upper drugs
Country: United States
Posts: 1,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
i remain hopeful. offense can gel, a player acquired, a system learned to perfection ..... but solid netminding has GOT to be there, as the foundation. it would appear we have that.

they are not too far down in the standings ...
oh i'm still as big a pyscho as i ever was. that's just genetic at this point. i remember during the 5 years we didn't make the playoffs i was like " yea, if keith acton and norm lacombe play better were definitely makin the finals".

funghoul is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 01:08 AM
  #796
peacepipe
Registered User
 
peacepipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Philadelphia,PA
Posts: 865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post


It was right after a terrible PP sequence leading to a clear...and possibly a scoring chance against?
That didn't look too bad he is an animate person and he was probably just like guy slow it down and regroup

peacepipe is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 08:42 AM
  #797
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
That didn't look too bad
because it wasn't bad. he was showing leadership and trying to settle the team down .... he can do that this year, because of his play and focus.

thrilled to see that from him. putting the team 1st. he could say 'hey, im playing well, my job is done' .... instead, he's trying to help out, lead, settle down the team.

if anything, that was a positive, not a negative

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 09:51 AM
  #798
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 11,143
vCash: 500
Bryz is too skinny!

I suppose since Boosh is back his slurpee machine has been reactivated...they should retrofit it and make it a protein shake machine. Bryz needs to bulk up again like McCrossin made him do last season

FreshPerspective is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  #799
Bernie Parent 1974
Registered User
 
Bernie Parent 1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,240
vCash: 500

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 01:43 PM
  #800
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Haha, when I was watching the game I thought that was intended for Rangers players, trying to phaze them or something, but I guess I totally misinterpreted it

Ryker is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.