HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2013, 05:27 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Cam Jansen was waived by Jersey, he's more of a spark plug and will go with anyone.
We should pick him up, and have him compete with Parros, you play hard you play next game, you don't play hard you watch from the press box. What happened to the culture of competition we were all about last year. I still like Parros, I still like the signing, I think hes awesome, but a spade is a spade he has not brought the spark he should have, fighting or not.

Old
01-30-2013, 05:54 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
We should pick him up, and have him compete with Parros, you play hard you play next game, you don't play hard you watch from the press box. What happened to the culture of competition we were all about last year. I still like Parros, I still like the signing, I think hes awesome, but a spade is a spade he has not brought the spark he should have, fighting or not.
This is what I was thinking. But wouldn't we have to send someone down off our roster for this to happen? Certainly not Shore. Could we inturn just put another player on waivers? eg. Santorelli? (even though I'm not ready to give up on him, just everyone else is).

Old
01-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
This is what I was thinking. But wouldn't we have to send someone down off our roster for this to happen? Certainly not Shore. Could we inturn just put another player on waivers? eg. Santorelli? (even though I'm not ready to give up on him, just everyone else is).
Think we would. Why in the world do you not want to rid ourselves of Santo? He's not close to hat he was. I keep hoping with him, but...

01-30-2013, 06:14 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Think we would. Why in the world do you not want to rid ourselves of Santo? He's not close to hat he was. I keep hoping with him, but...
I know, I know... if he is the next player to go, then so be it. I guess I just keep optomisticly hoping for him to come out of this shell he always seems to have.

He has above average speed, which is always nice to have in a player because its just something you can't teach.

But the more his career drags on the more he reminds me of a poor-mans Novoseltsev, if thats even possible.

Just waiting for that light to click in his head, but I fear the bulb may just be burned out ...

Old
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR View Post
I know, I know... if he is the next player to go, then so be it. I guess I just keep optomisticly hoping for him to come out of this shell he always seems to have.

He has above average speed, which is always nice to have in a player because its just something you can't teach.

But the more his career drags on the more he reminds me of a poor-mans Novoseltsev, if thats even possible.

Just waiting for that light to click in his head, but I fear the bulb may just be burned out ...
every so often i hear this myth repeated. you certainly can teach both speed and quickness. pick up (or look up) any hockey-specific training info and see for yourself. heck, usa hockey is even teaching hockey IQ.

for our sake, we better hope someone is working with huby on speed and quickness now.

Old
01-31-2013, 02:22 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
every so often i hear this myth repeated. you certainly can teach both speed and quickness. pick up (or look up) any hockey-specific training info and see for yourself. heck, usa hockey is even teaching hockey IQ.

for our sake, we better hope someone is working with huby on speed and quickness now.
Yea you can probably improve speed by 5-10% through training, and you can probably improve hockey IQ 5-10% through teaching;

But it doesnt matter how much training you or I do, we will never be able to skate as fast as Jack Skille, and we will never know more about the game than Steve Yzerman.

So yes you can improve it slightly, but its far more of a genetic thing than you are claiming.

Old
01-31-2013, 01:06 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
I'm more interested in Zach Boychuk, who the Canes just put on waivers. I wouldn't be surprised if he got picked up by someone.
Penguins claimed him, per TSN

Old
01-31-2013, 06:55 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
Yea you can probably improve speed by 5-10% through training, and you can probably improve hockey IQ 5-10% through teaching;

But it doesnt matter how much training you or I do, we will never be able to skate as fast as Jack Skille, and we will never know more about the game than Steve Yzerman.

So yes you can improve it slightly, but its far more of a genetic thing than you are claiming.
who's talking about turning you or i (neither of us, i assume has ever played professionally) into not only pros but elite pros? we're talking taking a huberdeau and turning him from mediocre skater into a good one. and that's doable, in my opinion.

all i "claimed" was that it can be taught. and there's no debate about that. i don't want to argue numbers unless they are substantiated - as far as i'm aware, there are no studies regarding potential percentage gain through training/technique. if you are aware of some, throw them out; i'd be interested in checking them out. if not, well, i'd just say that based on my own reading and experience, there is more to be gained than 5-10%. if we take your numbers (i don't know what your background is or where you're getting them from), however, that could still be huge, regardless of what level you're at. at the nhl, though, where careers and lots of money is at stake, do you think these guys would turn their nose up at a 10% speed/quickness/agility boost? hell no, that's why the top players are availing themselves of every opportunity, whether it's gary roberts' pre-camp or david booth working with a skating instructor during the summers (would you say, btw, that his jump into the upper echelon of nhl speed thanks to technique improvements was only 5-10%?).

genetics plays a role, certainly but all the innate athleticism in the world isn't going to help you if you have poor technique and/or conditioning.

the effectiveness of the hockey IQ trainer is something that nobody can claim to know yet as the tool usa hockey produced has only been in use for a few years and there have been no studies that i'm aware of. the NTDP is using it though; perhaps one could draw some conclusions from their success of late? and that's just this specific tool - you can certainly develop it other ways. and that was really my point - that these things can be developed.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:12 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
who's talking about turning you or i (neither of us, i assume has ever played professionally) into not only pros but elite pros? we're talking taking a huberdeau and turning him from mediocre skater into a good one. and that's doable, in my opinion.

all i "claimed" was that it can be taught. and there's no debate about that. i don't want to argue numbers unless they are substantiated - as far as i'm aware, there are no studies regarding potential percentage gain through training/technique. if you are aware of some, throw them out; i'd be interested in checking them out. if not, well, i'd just say that based on my own reading and experience, there is more to be gained than 5-10%. if we take your numbers (i don't know what your background is or where you're getting them from), however, that could still be huge, regardless of what level you're at. at the nhl, though, where careers and lots of money is at stake, do you think these guys would turn their nose up at a 10% speed/quickness/agility boost? hell no, that's why the top players are availing themselves of every opportunity, whether it's gary roberts' pre-camp or david booth working with a skating instructor during the summers (would you say, btw, that his jump into the upper echelon of nhl speed thanks to technique improvements was only 5-10%?).

genetics plays a role, certainly but all the innate athleticism in the world isn't going to help you if you have poor technique and/or conditioning.

the effectiveness of the hockey IQ trainer is something that nobody can claim to know yet as the tool usa hockey produced has only been in use for a few years and there have been no studies that i'm aware of. the NTDP is using it though; perhaps one could draw some conclusions from their success of late? and that's just this specific tool - you can certainly develop it other ways. and that was really my point - that these things can be developed.
I pulled those numbers from my arse, so we dont need to debate their accuracy. Just my uninformed opinion. And using u and I to compare to world class athletes is hyperbole, but does it really matter? The point is the same.

Do you think George Parros can magically skate as fast as Jack Skille with a few powerskating classes?

Of course you can improve your skating technique, of course you can improve your stamina, of course you can do these things. But I find it very hard to believe a fundamentally slow player can become a fundamentally fast player. When was the last time you saw this happen?

You say in your last post that "these things can be developed", to which I agree. But what I was originally replying to was "speed and quickness can be taught", which I can't agree with. The overwhelming determining factor in speed is genetics. Your born fast, or your not.

Old
02-01-2013, 02:25 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I pulled those numbers from my arse, so we dont need to debate their accuracy. Just my uninformed opinion. And using u and I to compare to world class athletes is hyperbole, but does it really matter? The point is the same.

Do you think George Parros can magically skate as fast as Jack Skille with a few powerskating classes?

Of course you can improve your skating technique, of course you can improve your stamina, of course you can do these things. But I find it very hard to believe a fundamentally slow player can become a fundamentally fast player. When was the last time you saw this happen?

You say in your last post that "these things can be developed", to which I agree. But what I was originally replying to was "speed and quickness can be taught", which I can't agree with. The overwhelming determining factor in speed is genetics. Your born fast, or your not.
David Booth had questionable skating before he went through an unorthodox on-ice training program, which improved his technique AND speed. Huberdeau will never be Grabner, but with the right training, he absolutely can increase his speed and quickness. Athletes in all sports increase there speed, quickness, agility, etc., so why couldn't Hubby do the same?

Old
02-01-2013, 02:58 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
David Booth had questionable skating before he went through an unorthodox on-ice training program, which improved his technique AND speed. Huberdeau will never be Grabner, but with the right training, he absolutely can increase his speed and quickness. Athletes in all sports increase there speed, quickness, agility, etc., so why couldn't Hubby do the same?
1. As far as I knew, this had nothing to do with Huberdeau.

2. Your basically agreeing with me and/or repeating me. A player can improve, but they will never become a Grabner. Thats exactly what im saying.

Old
02-01-2013, 11:20 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
1. As far as I knew, this had nothing to do with Huberdeau.

2. Your basically agreeing with me and/or repeating me. A player can improve, but they will never become a Grabner. Thats exactly what im saying.
Yeah, but you are saying that while a player may improve stamina or technique, they cant improve speed, but in Booth's case, that was exactly the case. While players like Grabner are born with god given speed, it doesnt mean Huberdeau couldnt improve his. With the right training, a player with Huberdeau's skill set could improve both his speed, acceleration, and quickness.

Old
02-01-2013, 12:44 PM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Yeah, but you are saying that while a player may improve stamina or technique, they cant improve speed, but in Booth's case, that was exactly the case. While players like Grabner are born with god given speed, it doesnt mean Huberdeau couldnt improve his. With the right training, a player with Huberdeau's skill set could improve both his speed, acceleration, and quickness.
True,

I remember Weiss attending power skating classes to improve his overall skating.

When huber starts fills in his frame a bit more and works on his balance, strength and skating I think he is going to be a the playmaker we have been lacing for quite some time.

But that guy has been falling down and losing the puck left and right.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:49 AM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 91
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin...atanens-coffee

Quote:
Vatanen helps himself

The Ducks recalled defenseman Sami Vatanen from Norfolk recently, with Cam Fowler out with an apparent head injury. Vatanen happened to be staying at the Sharks’ team hotel in Anaheim, and decided he wanted a cup of coffee before heading to the rink.

Rather than find a local Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, though, Vatanen waltzed right into the Sharks’ pregame snack room, much to the surprise of several players, many of whom had no idea who he was. He poured a cup for the road, and walked out.

Vatanen, a fourth round pick of the Ducks in 2009, played in his second game in the NHL on Monday. It seems he still has a thing or two to learn about professional decorum.
Classless Finns.

Old
02-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Lol, nice!

Old
02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Trade boards saying multiple sources have verified Tim Thomas to the Isles for a 2nd in either 14 or 15.

Old
02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

Quote:
Trade boards saying multiple sources have verified Tim Thomas to the Isles for a 2nd in either 14 or 15.
Wonder if he would play for them this year? If so, thats a stellar combo in Nabokov & Timmy.

Old
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Would be great for them if he did, what a combo

Old
02-07-2013, 06:38 PM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Sad to say this, but Isles owner Wang is the cheapest **** ever. Thomas won't see a game, won't get paid and Isles get his 5 million caphit to cheat the capfloor.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Sad to say this, but Isles owner Wang is the cheapest **** ever. Thomas won't see a game, won't get paid and Isles get his 5 million caphit to cheat the capfloor.
Yeah, that's all it's about. Willing to give up a 2nd rounder to cheat the cap.

Old
02-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Erick

Quote:
I believe the 2nd rounder is a conditional pick so they really lose nothing. Thomas has to play a game for the Isles for Boston to get that pick.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:37 PM
zeroG

Quote:

i'm late with a response (busy couple of weeks) but here it goes. the thing with genetics is mainly fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle fiber (tho there's also the cardiovascular system) and you can be born with different amounts of each. the theory goes that sprinters are born with more fast twitch, marathoners with more slow twitch. however, the majority of people are not at the extremes and when you're talking about pro athletes, the spread is probably much smaller. additionally, there is some indication you can convert muscle fiber from one type to the other. you can certainly develop each type to its fullest potential. a player with slightly more fast twitch muscle fiber but poor technique and/or conditioning is going to be .... a poor skater.

when we're talking about fast players versus slow hockey players, the overwhelming different maker is conditioning and technique and technique is LEARNED. technique can also be changed. the reason players can't turn their skating around overnight is because it's very difficult - they've all developed their own idiosyncrasies since they were originally taught to skate and, frankly, some were taught by better teachers. also some spent more time over the years keeping their "chops" up, working with skating coaches or being lucky enough to have a hockey coach who could keep them on track. in any case, those techniques are ingrained by the time you reach the NHL. it's all muscle memory. it may take a player several years or more working with a good instructor to achieve any kind of change but it can be done and booth is the example we are all familiar with. could parros do it too? there's no reason why not.

finally, if you read some of the material out there (say, twist's book on conditioning for hockey or blatherwick's codification of the russian's overspeed training methods), you most certainly would come away with the opinion that speed and quickness can and is being taught. these concepts are what is driving training/conditioning in the NHL now and it's why the players and the game have become so much faster in the past 10+ years.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

Jackets new GM, 3rd GM in team history, first European GM ever in NHL history, Jarmo Kekalainen.

All I can say is, damn. Jackets are going to be scary good in the next 5 years if Jarmo works that same magic he did with Blues. Jarmo was involved heavily in choosing the Blues picks (left for Jokerit after the 2010 draft) on the current roster.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
Jackets new GM, 3rd GM in team history, first European GM ever in NHL history, Jarmo Kekalainen.

All I can say is, damn. Jackets are going to be scary good in the next 5 years if Jarmo works that same magic he did with Blues. Jarmo was involved heavily in choosing the Blues picks (left for Jokerit after the 2010 draft) on the current roster.
Nice to see a new face as a GM. I hate when GMs rotate from team to team.

Old
02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
jol

Quote:
it took almost a month for owners to find a way to circumvent the cap.

JOL

Closed Thread