HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Lefty or righty

Old
06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Joeysallamander

vCash: 500
Lefty or righty

I play goalie and I play out as a forward.
I am wondering if I should switch to lefty stick.
I play righty as a forward and lefty as a goalie.
Any thoughts?
Anyone make the switch? and for what reason?

Joeysallamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Spetzky

Send a message via MSN to Spetzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysallamander
Any thoughts?
play with comfort.

Spetzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
Pick up any hockey stick and hold it using your first instinct...that will be the hand you play.

I never bought into the righties should use left curve sticks and vice versa. I'm a righty, but shoot right, yet when I play pool, I shoot left. Do whatever feels comfortable.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 11:23 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook
Pick up any hockey stick and hold it using your first instinct...that will be the hand you play.

I never bought into the righties should use left curve sticks and vice versa. I'm a righty, but shoot right, yet when I play pool, I shoot left. Do whatever feels comfortable.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Everyone always told me I should shoot right because I'm a natural lefty. But I first picked up a left handed stick and it just felt right. When I play goal, I hold the stick in my left hand too, but that might be because I'm used to wearing a baseball glove on my right hand.

Theories on the "correct" stick handedness are nice, but nothing will make up for it if you don't feel comfortable holding the stick like that.

The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:07 AM
vwg*

My dominate hand is my right hand (I throw and write with it) but I shoot lefty because it's the most natural feeling for me. When I actually started hockey my dad just assumed I was a righty, because he is too, so I had a right handed stick first until my dad and I noticed that I shot awkwardly, then I switched to LH.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:41 AM
bleedgreen

i like the shovel thoery when helping kids decide. whatever way you would shovel snow, you should try to play hockey that way.

bleedgreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 04:46 AM
Wisent

Try what is comfortable. I am a righty and still shoot right.

Wisent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

I have a friend who can play equally well both ways...it is insane.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 09:46 AM
night-timer

I'm left-handed, but I shoot right. I was hoping I'd be as successful ambidextrous shooter, unfortunately not. I'm a right-handed shot now and forever.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer
I'm left-handed, but I shoot right. I was hoping I'd be as successful ambidextrous shooter, unfortunately not. I'm a right-handed shot now and forever.
I'm right-handed and shoot left. I'm a pretty decent player (or used to be, lol) but when I hold the stick right-handed I'm a complete ******, couldn't raise the puck if my life depeneded on it.

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:20 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeysallamander
Any thoughts?
I'm a lefty shooter. I've never played goal but I'd hold the goalie stick with my right. My right hand is stronger so that's my top hand -- I couldn't poke check effectively with just my left. With a glove I could catch with either hand.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 05:32 AM
Catamo
NHL2com League

From what ive seen here is everyone amnidextric!?.. I use my right hand for everything. My left hand is basically for display.

Catamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamo View Post
From what ive seen here is everyone amnidextric!?.. I use my right hand for everything. My left hand is basically for display.
Bump that. My left hand is useless...

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
cujoflutie

Send a message via ICQ to cujoflutie Send a message via Yahoo to cujoflutie
The majority of people hold a hockey stick with their dominant hand on top of the stick. Meaning most lefties shoot right and righties shoot left. It's advantageous if you fall under this category since when you hold the stick in one hand, you'll hold it in your top hand. As well for goaltenders (who should all hold the stick in their dominant hand reguardless of which way they shoot), it is difficult to flip the stick over and shoot the way Theodore and Joseph do.

cujoflutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:35 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
The majority of people hold a hockey stick with their dominant hand on top of the stick. Meaning most lefties shoot right and righties shoot left. It's advantageous if you fall under this category since when you hold the stick in one hand, you'll hold it in your top hand. As well for goaltenders (who should all hold the stick in their dominant hand reguardless of which way they shoot), it is difficult to flip the stick over and shoot the way Theodore and Joseph do.
I've heard that's the Canadian way of teaching, while the US uses the opposite theory.

I've always just gone by comfort. I started with a straight stick, and just went with what I was comfortable with.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I would always recommend that you go with whatever is naturally comfortable for you. I began playing hockey as a goalie and therefore simply got used to playing with the stick in my right hand (because it is my dominant hand) and naturally when I switched to playing out I picked up a left-handed stick and never looked back.

I've tried to use a righty stick on several occasions to see if I could do it, but I have never had any comfort doing so. USA Hockey Magazine had an article on this a couple years ago and in the article they listed the advantages and disadvantages of having your dominant hand on the top of your stick and the same for having your dominant hand on the bottom of the stick. It was a very interesting article and I know I kept it, but since I moved from CT to TN, I have no idea where to begin looking for it right now. If anyone still has the article, it would be interesting to see the listed differences again.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Transported Upstater

I'm right handed, and I used a lefty stick. ("Used" is the accurate word; I've skated once in the past 10 years...)

When I first picked up a straight-bladed stick, I played righty. Loved the way shots felt, but could not handle the puck at all that way. NO stability.
I found that when I turned the stick the other way, I could control the puck much better. While my shot wasn't as good, I rarely shot the puck, and simply felt so much more comfortable.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2006, 06:39 AM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
play whatever feels comfortable. I know quite a few goalies that hold the glove in their left hand but when skating out shoot right, including myself. One benefit is if you lose or break your stick and someone gives you a lefty you can still use it because you know how to shoot lefty, or at least I can(can't puck handle too well thought ).

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote