HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 06:09 PM
Hawkey Town 18

vCash: 500
This trade needs to be processed...

To Cincinnati Fireworks (markrander87): 294, 358
To Chicago Shamrocks (Hawkey Town 18): 268, 413

Old
02-12-2013, 06:30 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
Pittsburgh will select RW, Steve Larmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
It was him or Cecil Dillon for me, Dillon having the better accolade resume I went with the former. Nice pick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Nice choice. He was a favorite of mine growing up in Chicago. Your second line is looking like it will be a real threat to score...

Schriner - Morris - Larmer
I'm not even a Chicago fan but I'm a Larmer fan. Real class act and just a great hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Larmer is a very good choice to finish off that line. He's not the most talented player available here, but I think you made the right move. Schriner/Morris bring a lot of scoring ability, but they desperately need the other things that Larmer brings.
Right, Larmer is one of those guys who just does everything well but not much outstanding (besides his durability) which is why he was under the radar somewhat for a guy who scored 1000 points in the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I like Larmer a lot as a defensive conscience for a scoring line who isn't going to drag down the line offensively. As a physical presence, he's not going to scare anyone though, which may or may not be a problem. The Denis Savard - Steve Larmer line usually had a brute of some sort on LW, right?
He wouldn't put the fear of God into anyone, but Larmer wouldn't back down from anyone either.

Quote:
That was the concern honestly, but he's still a hardworking type who will do the dirtywork for a line. He might struggle with fearsome defensive pairs, but Larmer will still take the abuse even if he's overmatched physically.

He played one a line with Goulet on the left side too who wasn't that brute mold.
Larmer is a real worker for sure and I mean 884 straight games has to tell anyone that he has some serious tolerance for absorbing the bumps and bruises along the way.

He can play on my team any day.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
SchultzSquared

This guy keeps falling... but he will be a perfect partner for Lidstrom... Kenora picks Cy Wentworth D.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Player taken earlier in the draft

Richard Martin

Nickname: Rick, Rico
Height: 5'11
Weight: 179 lbs
Position: Left Wing
Shoots: Left
Date of Birth: July 26, 1951
Place of Birth: Verdun, Québec, Canada
Date of Death: March 13, 2011

Stanley Cup Finalist (1975)
Canada Cup Gold Medal (1976)
NHL First All-Star Team (1974, 1975)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1976, 1977)
NHL All-Star Game MVP (1977)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1978)
Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame (October 25th, 2005)
#7 retired by the Buffalo Sabres (November 15th, 1995)

SeasonsGPGAPTSPIM

Top-10 Scoring (6th, 10th)
Top-10 Goalscoring (2nd, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 10th, 12th)

PlayoffsGPGAPTSPIM

Top-10 Playoff Scoring (7th)
Top-10 Playoff Goalscoring (5th)
Top-10 Playoff Assist (8th)

All-Star Voting:

1971-72: 6th position (RW)
1971-72: 4th position (LW)
1972-73: 5th position (LW)
1973-74: 1st position (LW)
1974-75: 8th position (RW)
1974-75: 1st position (LW)
1975-76: 2nd position (LW)
1976-77: 2nd position (LW)
1977-78: 7th position (LW)
1978-79: 12th position (LW)
1979-80: 8th position (LW)

Awards Nomination:

Hart Memorial Trophy:
1973-74: 11th position (Phil Esposito) (1 point)

Lady Bing Trophy:
1973-74: 8th position (Johnny Bucyk) (17 points)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Left-winger Rick Martin was a talented offensive player with speed and a lethal shot. He played nearly 700 games in the 70s and 80s, mostly with the Buffalo Sabres.

In 1971-72, Martin broke teammate Gilbert Perreault's NHL rookie record for goals by firing 44 of his own. A few months later he was picked as a reserve for Team Canada in the historic Summit Series versus the Soviet Union. Martin dipped slightly to 37 goals in 1972-73 but his defensive play improved and he helped Buffalo reach the playoffs in only its third year of existence. More importantly, he formed the dreaded "French Connection" line with XXX and Perreault.

During the 1973-74 season, Martin scored 52 goals though the club sagged when Perreault broke his leg in mid-season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Martin's slapshot was terrifying and struck fear in goalies everywhere.

Rick certainly was the big gun of the Sabres, and the entire NHL for that matter. His scoring resumé is impressive: 44, 37, 52, 52, 49, 36, 28, 32 and 45 goals in consecutive season. All in all Rick scored 384 goals in 685 games which makes him one of the most productive goal scorers per game in NHL history. He was also a four time NHL All-Star on the left wing.

Don't mistake Martin as a one trick pony. His two way game was always overshadowed and over criticized.

Hockey fans who remembered "Rico" can't argue the fact that he was one of hockey's deadliest snipers of all time.

-''I knew I could make the majors some day when I was 13 and I was playing in both bantam and midget leagues at the same time and I was the top scorer in both. I was shooting, shooting, shooting every day. But I liked other sports, too. I was just as good at golf and might have played that professionally. I really wanted to be an engineer. I never thought about playing pro until I was 18. I went to Sir George William University (later renamed Concordia University) in Montreal a year, but dropped out after my freshman year. The financial opportunities in pro hockey were too god for me to pass up.'' - Richard Martin

-''The only reason XXX teamed me with Gil is because XXX said I was the only one on the team at the time that could skate with him.'' - Richard Martin

-''I worked on the defensive part of my game for quite some time. I thought by the time XXX left the team (78-79) I was playing good two-way hockey for the team. But my critics didn't see it that way. I guess that I was never supposed to be in the mold of a two-way hockey player according to them.'' - Richard Martin

-''My chance had finally come to play. I finally realized how much pressure there was playing for your country. Being part of a winning team is something I'll always remember.'' - Richard Martin

-''He hit the blue-lline and he was going to find a way to put it in the net one way or another. He had this fire. Scoring was everything to him, he just lived and died for sticking the puck in the net. - Mike Robitaille, former teammate & broadcaster

-''His eyes lit up when he had those opportunities.'' - Mike Robitaille, former teammate & broadcaster

-''Martin hit me with a shot and I thought it had gone through my skin and stuck in my ribs. He's got a hard, heavy shot and I felt it for a month. It can carry your glove right off your hand.'' - Lyle Carter, former NHL goaltender

-''You make any mistake and he takes it. You let him see the slightest opening and he'll thread something through it.'' - XXX

-''He's got a hair-trigger on his shot. It's uncanny how quick he shoots that puck. It just touches his stick and it's flying at the net. Few are really quick and none are quicker.'' - XXX

- ''Bobby Hull may shoot harder than Rick, but Rick gets his shot away quicker and he's always on target with it.'' - Joe Crozier, former Sabres' Coach

- ''the greatest natural goal scorer I've seen.'' - XXXh

Miscellaneous:

- From the beginning of his career to his freak, knee incident on November 8, 1980 (In a game against the Washington Capitals, Martin was racing in on a breakaway. Capitals forward Ryan Walter managed to trip Martin and no penalty was called. Capitals goalie Mike Palmateer, already way out of his crease, knocked Martin back down by kicking his knee, causing severe cartilage damage that all but ended Martin's career), Martin played 681 of his team 737 regular season games, or 92.4% of his team games

- At 21 years of age, Richard Martin was part of the 1972 Summit Series Canadian Team

- Martin holds the Buffalo Sabres franchise career records for hat tricks, four-goal games, 40-goal seasons, consecutive 40-goal seasons, 50-goal seasons (tied with XXX) and consecutive 50-goal seasons

- Martin died on March 13th, 2011, in Clarence, New York, from a heart attack while driving, a complication of hypertensive arteriosclerotic cardiovascular disease

Videos:

Internet Sites:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...2#.URoaGZan0ng
http://sabreslegends.blogspot.co.uk/...ck-martin.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Martin

Old
02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Martin is one of the best hockey players to ever walk the earth that will likely never get into the HOF.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:14 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Martin is one of the best hockey players to ever walk the earth that will likely never get into the HOF.
Is his name pronounced "Makarov" in Russian?

Old
02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
This guy keeps falling... but he will be a perfect partner for Lidstrom... Kenora picks Cy Wentworth D.
Great pick. He was on that 3 name list I submitted Sunday night.

02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Considered him for Pilote too, but I'm not building my defense entirely out of hobbits. That would be bad. He'll be fine next to the average-sized Lidstrom, in the same role as many of Lidstroms partners.

If he had kept falling for some weird reason, I'd have loved him next to Mantha, and my D-corps would then have two guys name Si and Cy. A very Gangnam Style defense.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Johnny Engine

I would also like having multiple /saj/ on my defense because I minored in Poli-sci...

Ok, I'll stop.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Is his name pronounced "Makarov" in Russian?
I think you skipped a few words. ''one of'' was an important piece of his sentence.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I think you skipped a few words. ''one of'' was an important piece of his sentence.
Seriously, and Makarov is probably getting in eventually anyways. :p

Old
02-12-2013, 08:35 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
I volunteered to take it but never got a PM. Sturminator also volunteered, maybe he has it?
Nope.

edit: I'm an idiot. Yes, he did send me a one name list, which is thankfully still valid. DoMack selects defenseman Jim Neilson (who was one of the best defensemen available, IMO).

Bubba has been PMed.

Last edited by Sturminator: 02-12-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
To be honest, Wentworth was not in my top-5 for BDA at this point, though he'd be in the conversation for #6. I think he has been historically overrated in the ATD, and should fall a bit more. All-star teams didn't exist for the first two years of his NHL career (though this likely makes little to no difference...defensemen just don't get all-star votes as rookies except in the rarest of cases), but the voting record for what we do have is simply not good enough to justify his normal draft position. He has that one great Cup run with the Maroons, but a few weeks don't make a career.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:44 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
To be honest, Wentworth was not in my top-5 for BDA at this point, though he'd be in the conversation for #6. I think he has been historically overrated in the ATD, and should fall a bit more. All-star teams didn't exist for the first two years of his NHL career (though this likely makes little to no difference...defensemen just don't get all-star votes as rookies except in the rarest of cases), but the voting record for what we do have is simply not good enough to justify his normal draft position. He has that one great Cup run with the Maroons, but a few weeks don't make a career.
That was my feeling, I was eying him for my last pick and felt something just did not add up.

02-12-2013, 10:42 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
That's vadim. I believe he argues that since the coach game plans around getting them in ideal situations, they haven't developed the mental edge to be players who excel in all situations - which they have the capability to do. Basically the opposite of the Hitchcock-Modano relationship.

The zone start thing can be overblown as well. It's a much bigger factor in shot-based stats like Corsi than in actually scoring points because offensive zone faceoffs lead to low percentage shots compared to chances off the rush. Stats guys who use Corsi are right to emphasize zone starts. If you look at points it isn't such a big deal, especially since the zone start maximization cuts their TOI.
I'm not sure about this. I think this could be true if there was a switch off from higher icetime to more offensive zone starts. but there wasn't. He went from 18.59 minutes (06-09), or, if you prefer, 19.15 (07-09) to 19.37 (10-13).

Quote:
Nieuwendyk...meh. If you can make good use of him on the powerplay, I guess he's worth it.
agree.

Quote:
Pittsburgh will select RW, Steve Larmer

Selke Voting: 3, 8, T10
Excellent value 81 picks after Propp. Without a doubt I'd take Propp ahead (almost always the catalyst for his line, while Larmer rarely was) but they are very close as players and I'd pass on Propp if I knew I could get Larmer 81 picks later.

Quote:
One of the best 20, sure.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:50 PM
BubbaBoot

I'm passing on a couple or three gunners and a defenseman I really like to select the great 2-way, 4 time Stanley Cup winner and Hall of Fame LW/CTR Bob Pulford.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:05 PM
VanIslander
10 Years of ATDing

Third lines are beginning to be built! There are elite Bottom-6 role players in this draft, though at least one team has decided to have Henrik Sedin as its third line center.

That's it Henrik, take a seat. You haven't the ability to handle the rough stuff. You are top-6 forward or bench, or maybe if a team has two backchecking centers on the 2nd/3rd lines you could see some minutes on the back line of an all-time great squad.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Is anyone going to be around for the next several hours? I may need to leave a list.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Is anyone going to be around for the next several hours? I may need to leave a list.
I'll be around a couple hours.... is that several?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Eskimos selects: Flash Hollett, D

Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
It's longer than I'll be around...list on its way

Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
Hawkman
Deacon Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
When you crash, you can send it to me if you want.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Third lines are beginning to be built! There are elite Bottom-6 role players in this draft, though at least one team has decided to have Henrik Sedin as its third line center.

That's it Henrik, take a seat. You haven't the ability to handle the rough stuff. You are top-6 forward or bench, or maybe if a team has two backchecking centers on the 2nd/3rd lines you could see some minutes on the back line of an all-time great squad.
I get that what Mark's doing doesn't make much sense, but why take a cheapshot at Sedin like that? Not cool man, not cool.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Hawkman
Deacon Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
When you crash, you can send it to me if you want.
Received Hawkey's Town's list from Dreakmur.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Dreakmur

Quote:
I get that what Mark's doing doesn't make much sense, but why take a cheapshot at Sedin like that? Not cool man, not cool.
Mark's using his 1st line a checking line, which allows him to use his 3rd line as a scoring line. How that works out is yet to be determined, but what he is doing definately makes sense.

Why take a cheap-shot at Sedin? Maybe because he's on a team in his own division

Closed Thread