HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM
seguino

vCash: 500
I can hear Ryan Whitney clapping from here

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Like I said in the thread: I'd rather see the team play well and lose than see them play like crap and grind out at a win this season.
playing well and losing doesn't do much in the standings. look at the last game and this one. give me the choice and I'd pick the crappy game where the Oilers got two points.

If I said I'd prefer the Oilers play well and lose, I'd just be rationalizing yet another loss.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:17 PM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Outhit, Outchanced, Outshot Dallas yet lose a tough one at home. Sounds like late 90s Oilers vs. Dallas.
Good effort but i'm getting really annoyed at the lack of finish. RNH and Eberle in particular absolutely HAS TO finish off some of these chances, these guys are better than that.

The positives of this game is that RNH looked better than he has in a long time, lets hope that it's a sign of things to come. Petry had a tremendous game. He shows flashes of great play like this then ends up having a stinker, more consistency please Jeff and Hall was all over the place although he overhandled on a couple of occasions which killed the play.
J. Schultz is sublime, i'm blown away by his game to game consistency. What a gem.
The bottom 6 looked faster and feistier without Smyth. Can Krueger justify putting him back in the lineup? I'm not so sure.

Ah well, it was payback from the Hockey Gods for the Columbus "win". They just need to move on and build off of a performance like this.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CopperBlue2794

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMedicine View Post
The Oilers have no choice now, they are doing everything right except two things, they seriously need to find and follow the NewAge Hockey Systems Tactical Shooting Program, they need to add a new dimension to their system and they need to do it now so they get rewarded for all the hard work they are putting in every game. Tactical Shooting Program as described within the NewAge Hockey System. This is the final piece they need to initiate their scoring, their transitions and special teams are nice and tight, they are managing the puck well, they are finding a nice volume of shots and rebounds, but they are not finding the twine, its a simple fix, they need something besides the net to shoot at, they require micro-managment and they need the system to catalyse this not their own game instincts, just as our transitions are now consistant and system generated not piecemeal because of better micro-managment our shooting tactics need to be system catalysed the same way.

We are consistantly doing the right things, we just require a new dimension, a new level to elevate our offense to, and we need it right now, this season is slipping away quickly. We need results immediatly , we need the NHSs Tactical Shooting Program in place ASAP.
Nice sales pitch... Yes some technology to improve our shooting is the answer.

I was happy with the effort, we had some tough luck tonight but then again you make your own luck. If we play this way consistently lady luck will be on our side more often than not.

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
What the hell are you talking about?
You don't know what NewAge Hockey Systems Tactical Shooting Programô is?

Niet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Harley

This one really hurts. I think it sinks our playoff hopes actually. We may be in 12th or 13th by the time we play next.

Effort was pretty strong for coming back off the road. Exception being Hemsky who played just a dog of a disinterested game and Yakupov who had nothing.

Sigh. It won't be this year. This is going to be a big learning curve for the kids. They are going to see first hand that if they can't, don't or won't carry the mail we are going absolutely no where. Heavy load for them but thats just the way it is. Whine about the supporting cast all you want but the kids are needed to win games, the supporting cast just keeps you in them. Tonight is the perfect example. We were there, we just needed the goals.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shanahanigans

Man, a win tonight was important because we're in 10th, and have 3 days off. With how quick everything is moving, a few teams may move ahead of us in the standings. We played a good game though. Things in the D zone kind of unraveled in the third, especially after Gagner's penalty. But I liked what I saw from this team today.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:18 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Ever hear of a slump? It's not even 1/2 way through the season, so don't toot your own horn too hard.
I'd be willing to bet whatever you want to bet that Eberle doesn't finish with anything higher than 12% at the end of the year. If he started scoring at least years pace the rest of the way, he'd finish WELL ahead of 12%. But he won't, because an 18.9% rate is an aberration (just like lost of us were saying all off season).

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Alberta tough

The lack of goalscoring is now becoming comical.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by seguino View Post
is it a slow clap after which he sips Wisers rye?

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Ever hear of a slump? It's not even 1/2 way through the season, so don't toot your own horn too hard.
jadeddog is just concerned. We all are. This is especially frustrating because goals weren't a problem for the most part last year and the year before.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Man, a win tonight was important because we're in 10th, and have 3 days off. With how quick everything is moving, a few teams may move ahead of us in the standings. We played a good game though. Things in the D zone kind of unraveled in the third, especially after Gagner's penalty. But I liked what I saw from this team today.
Your joking right

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
is it a slow clap after which he sips Wisers rye?
Probably on the plane to his new team.

Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Everything that was making us successful in the 1st and 2nd completely disappeared in the 3rd.

This team continues to be plagued by the inability to play a full 60 minutes.
When you watch a goal go in off shinpad-boards-dubey's back its deflating.
When you're completely stoned on every A++++ scoring chance you generate while the other team chases you skating in circles, its deflating.
When Eric effing Nystrom scores a turn around wrister from the GeeDee'd blueline, its deflating.

If I'm frustrated watching from the couch in my basement, I can only imagine how the guys playing felt. Yeesh.

Groucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
That makes it hurt even more. The (f)Lames will get them on the 2nd game of back to backs. Have we yet played anybody on the 2nd of back to backs?
Nope. We usually get teams first and have way more road back to backs than at home

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguino View Post
If he were playing tonight it would have been 6-1.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
frag2

Aside from Dubnyk, I thought only the 4th line played well. The first line, I don't care how well you hem the opposition, you aren't getting it done...aka scoring. Hall scored but it was a weak goal on Lehtonen's part.

2nd line was a dud. Third line as well.

Defensively, J. Schultz and Fistric, IMO, were the only 2 that showed up though the former also had a few gaffes here and there.

Pathetic. Doesn't matter if you put A+++ effort when you don't win. No win = no points = no playoffs. If we're gonna lose, at least lose in the extra frame FFS.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

People can overlook "luck" etc., but the reality is that our offense will pick up sooner or later. People can point to whatever factors they want, but I just can't see this team being a bottom 5 offensive team in this league.

KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Tough loss. It happens, just gotta hope for better next game.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Probably on the plane to his new team.
I actually don't think they trade him anytime soon, teams will want to wait until the deadline to make moves. Also, Tambo isn't exactly known for making moves during the season, now is he? lol

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Heading back from the game on the train.

Hard to figure this one. Really felt the Oilers were playing well for 2 periods but their first goal was ridiculous and completely undeserved, and once Dubnyk let in that other howler you got the feeling it was not to be.

Hard to figure this team. Good hitting, good forechecking, lots of shots, but only Hall's goal and Lehtonen's robbery on Eberle were the only great chances.

2nd line was completely invisible tonight. RNH was pretty terrible. Liked Eager's energy.

3rd goal? Or 4th, can't remember was on a stupid play by Yakupov. Not a good night for him

Don't like that 2nd goal on Dubnyk but hard to win when your team only scores one goal.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Relax.

I read on the internets that the score doesn't matter nearly as much as scoring chances, zone starts, quality comp, corsi and his relatives, and of course, zone exit/entry.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Agron
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niet View Post
You don't know what NewAge Hockey Systems Tactical Shooting Programô is?
No and I'm not sure if I really wanna find out. I'm not down to read an essay by BadMedicine.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
One thing I've noticed, and correct me if I am wrong, but we are good at setting up the cycle (first line). However, we can't get shots off. It's always too messy, and it slow's down the flow when they bobble passes.

Furthermore, when other teams do it, they have a guy float into the high slot, but teams who play us press that area. This means we need to get a guy down low, and then they wont be able to press up so easily. The problem is we have no one on that line who can outmuscle the D in front of the net without getting their stick tied when the pass comes. I've noticed the only time we can get a shot off is if we are quicker, not necessarily stronger, than the opposition (infrequently).

Matt Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
I actually don't think they trade him anytime soon, teams will want to wait until the deadline to make moves. Also, Tambo isn't exactly known for making moves during the season, now is he? lol
He will play for the Hershey Bears while Tambi figures out what the hell to do with him.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote