HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-12-2013, 11:22 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 999
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seguino View Post
I can hear Ryan Whitney clapping from here
I would say Ryan Smyth, too, but he's already taken his pills and gone to bed long ago.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
People can overlook "luck" etc., but the reality is that our offense will pick up sooner or later. People can point to whatever factors they want, but I just can't see this team being a bottom 5 offensive team in this league.
Ina 48 game season if they don't get it figured out we are lost. Also we are getting NOTHING from lines 3 and 4 and haven't all year.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
I'd be willing to bet whatever you want to bet that Eberle doesn't finish with anything higher than 12% at the end of the year. If he started scoring at least years pace the rest of the way, he'd finish WELL ahead of 12%. But he won't, because an 18.9% rate is an aberration (just like lost of us were saying all off season).
Sure 1 month avatar bet as long as he plays 35+ games. I'm not losing the bet in the event that he might get hurt not all that long from now.

CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Yeah, karma isn't a real thing. This team has ZERO offensive ability, *ZEEEEEEEERO*.

RNH looks like a guy who will be lucky to finish the year with 3 goals. The big three scored a goal tonight even, and they were still only shooting 5.5%. Simply pathetic.

All those "Eberle unsustainable" jokes aren't so funny NOW are they? People said that he would regress to the mean, and that is exactly what is happening. RNH just seems to have no confidence at all, and seems really weak on the puck. Could be his shoulder injury is screwing up his shooting I suppose.
Did you watch the same game that i did? RNH was great tonight, strong on the puck, skating well, setting up his teammates nicely. The lack of finish is frustrating but he had a great game otherwise, the best game that he has played this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
RNH was pretty terrible.
I think i need to rewatch this game because i'm not sure how you guys can say that he was terrible.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
CopperBlue2794

Lol, Bad Medicine must be the dude who commented on OilersNation claiming to have posted data about New Age System and that Jarrett Stoll found it and implemented it into the Kings system and that was the sole reason they won the Cup.

CopperBlue2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:24 PM
Asher

Quote:
I actually don't think they trade him anytime soon, teams will want to wait until the deadline to make moves. Also, Tambo isn't exactly known for making moves during the season, now is he? lol
I think Tambo will wait until the deadline. In fact, i think that's been the plan all along.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I thought that Gagner had a good game and then he took that tripping penalty and the wheels came off. Either we're saving all of our goals for a playoff push or we are in deep ****.
Gagner was fighting to create something on the pk with the game winding down anyway. Not like it cost us the game. Jaromir actually scored on the 4 on 4 anyway.

hate to say this again but N Schultz is NOT what people advertised here. Which is what I said all along.

This guy is not a shutdown D and not even close. Gets completely owned, bent over, and schooled on the last Dallas goal as he flails away getting beat to the net.

Thats our shutdown D isolated folks. Without J Schultz, a rookie carrying him it would be ugly. No accident that Tambo covers this botched trade by pairing the best D we've had in years with N Schultz to try to pretty up the pig.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Ina 48 game season if they don't get it figured out we are lost. Also we are getting NOTHING from lines 3 and 4 and haven't all year.
They need to get it figured out and soon. I also agree that our bottom 6 has given us VERY little offense as has our defense with the exception of J. Schultz.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
seguino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
is it a slow clap after which he sips Wisers rye?
Most definitely!

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by seguino View Post
I can hear Ryan Whitney clapping from here
Whitney probably didn't even watch the game. Horc and Smytty were, Whitney busy doing what? Watching game film...

Old
02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Did you watch the same game that i did? RNH was great tonight, strong on the puck, skating well, setting up his teammates nicely. The lack of finish is frustrating but he had a great game otherwise, the best game that he has played this season.

I think i need to rewatch this game because i'm not sure how you guys can say that he was terrible.
I agree whole heartedly. Every time Nuge was on the ice, the puck was his.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagner was fighting to create something on the pk with the game winding down anyway. Not like it cost us the game. Jaromir actually scored on the 4 on 4 anyway.

hate to say this again but N Schultz is NOT what people advertised here. Which is what I said all along.

This guy is not a shutdown D and not even close. Gets completely owned, bent over, and schooled on the last Dallas goal as he flails away getting beat to the net.

Thats our shutdown D isolated folks. Without J Schultz, a rookie carrying him it would be ugly. No accident that Tambo covers this botched trade by pairing the best D we've had in years with N Schultz.
We still had time left and you almost never should be happy about a penalty that far from your goal especially when it negates the PP. And it created the 4 on 4 which killed us, was Jagr killing penalties? If not then he wouldn't have seen the ice there.

N. Schultz made a bad play and it put us even deeper in the hole, but let's be honest, the Jagr goal put the game out of reach. It seemed pretty well out of reach once our PP got cut short and prior to that things looked already grim.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
Aside from Dubnyk, I thought only the 4th line played well. The first line, I don't care how well you hem the opposition, you aren't getting it done...aka scoring. Hall scored but it was a weak goal on Lehtonen's part.

2nd line was a dud. Third line as well.

Defensively, J. Schultz and Fistric, IMO, were the only 2 that showed up though the former also had a few gaffes here and there.

Pathetic. Doesn't matter if you put A+++ effort when you don't win. No win = no points = no playoffs. If we're gonna lose, at least lose in the extra frame FFS.
Hall had 9 shots. The top line should have had at least 3 goals if it wasn't for Lehtonen's insane play.

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Maybe being at the game is different but I thought Gagner was mostly invisible, Hemsky was invisible, and Yakupov had a poor game.

I actually mostly saw some really great stick work by the Dallas D.

Yeah there were some ticky-tack penalties called on the Oilers and there were probably a couple calls they could have made on Dallas in the third they called on us earlier - Hall a couple of times was clearly held.

But I felt the top line and the PRV-Belanger-Harti line were the only ones being effective.

4th line especially Eager was good but as someone pointed out, you never got the feeling the 3rd or 4th lines were anywhere close to scoring.

Our top line was the most dangerous for sure.

I thought the PP overall was better. A little less cross-ice passes and more shots on net.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Asher

Quote:
They need to get it figured out and soon. I also agree that our bottom 6 has given us VERY little offense as has our defense with the exception of J. Schultz.
And that's the biggest problem as I see it. As an example, with the exception of Jagr all of Dallas' goals were scored by role players. Fluky or not, you need that sometimes to win.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Crobby

Criticism of a few players

Hall - was flying and then started trying to make too many cute plays. Compare his goal to his play on our PP in the 3rd. Flying down wing with puck, has the defender beat wide even more on this play. Can shoot or cut to net but instead circles it and runs out of space and tries to dangle....loses puck and its a turnover.

Nuge - weak on the puck. Had chances, completely snake bitten. Shoulder must be sore still because when he gets the puck and has to bare down on it it looks like hes shooting wrong handed

Petry - havent been too impressed. Looks lost and hesitant in the offensive zone. Hasn't been terrible defensively but i was expecting a lot more this year. No one seems to be on him...0 points and -4 so far

Yakupov - play died on his stick all game. He's been making weird plays where he tries a move that wont benefit him at his spot on the ice. Toe-drag a guy at our blue line isnt necessary when you have support with you breaking out. Make the simple play there and use your creativity when u get to skate over the line into the O zone...every time now he holds up and tries to pass. In the KHL he was flying in and ripping lasers top cheese or trying moves on the defender.

Anyways, lots more i could cherry pick i guess. 2 flukey goals on their part but we still only scored once. Appreciate the effort but lots of frustrating things this game.

Last edited by Crobby: 02-12-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:31 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
One thing I've noticed, and correct me if I am wrong, but we are good at setting up the cycle (first line). However, we can't get shots off. It's always too messy, and it slow's down the flow when they bobble passes.

Furthermore, when other teams do it, they have a guy float into the high slot, but teams who play us press that area. This means we need to get a guy down low, and then they wont be able to press up so easily. The problem is we have no one on that line who can outmuscle the D in front of the net without getting their stick tied when the pass comes. I've noticed the only time we can get a shot off is if we are quicker, not necessarily stronger, than the opposition (infrequently).
Very good post they need to break the top six into 3 lines imo with eager Mps and Hartikainen on each line.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I agree whole heartedly. Every time Nuge was on the ice, the puck was his.
Ok, i'm not going crazy then. I thought i was watching a different game based on some posters assessment of Nuge's game tonight. I couldn't help but be encouraged by his play tonight.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MettleOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Act like losers and applaud like trained seals? Some of you guys just don't get it. Everyone on this forum wants the oilers to succeed, to win, to play well and to win a cup. You sure as hell don't have to pat the team and the organization on the ass after each loss though. Thee Oilers could be out of the playoffs for another 3 years to make it an even 10 years and some would be happy as clams.

It's utterly absurd that this team can't score more than a goal or two per game. Ridiculous.

If the Oilers don't sweep the next 4 games at home they are toast heading into a 9 game 16 day road trip.
Your only a loser if you quit. Don't lump me up with your self loathing in what this team should be, and the fact you would call people who support them trained seals after a loss just speaks loads of your arrogance. I want this team to win and dominate just as much as everyone else, and I share as much passion for the victory as you do but don't weaken the resolve of people willing to still support this team through the crap that fans are ready to unload on them because there are too many fans eager to do so and not enough defending them. So keep it up, spew your venom at me, rather then my oilers.

MettleOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Expatriate

vCash: 50
I'm frustraed about this lose but not mad. We outplayed Dallas but are just snakebit against them. We lost this game on 2 fluky goals. RNH and Eb's are going to light it up soon enough. We're going to have a game where the flood gates open.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yeah, karma isn't a real thing. This team has ZERO offensive ability, *ZEEEEEEEERO*.

RNH looks like a guy who will be lucky to finish the year with 3 goals. The big three scored a goal tonight even, and they were still only shooting 5.5%. Simply pathetic.

All those "Eberle unsustainable" jokes aren't so funny NOW are they? People said that he would regress to the mean, and that is exactly what is happening. RNH just seems to have no confidence at all, and seems really weak on the puck. Could be his shoulder injury is screwing up his shooting I suppose.

If we don't get goals from Eberle, Hall and RNH, we don't win, end of story. Our bottom 6 has no offensive ability whatsoever, even when they have a great possession game, as they did tonight, you know they aren't going to provide a goal. This team is only going to go as far as the big 3 take them, and that doesn't look very far at all.
The topline were developing bad country club habits down on the farm, looking lazy, unmotivated, and turning up the occasional offensive display against usually the worst opponents. They weren't bearing down and I said so at the time. looks like bad habits are catching up to them. Hope they enjoyed the long holiday when they were supposed to be playing games.

Thus instead of being ahead of the game and with a jump on other NHLers that didn't play during the lockout they look one step slow in timing. Never getting anything off before NHL opponents close on em.

Without Hall this line is looking like a complete cluster**** right now. Eberle at least had scoring chances. I don't recall Nuge even getting one.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:32 PM
seguino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Whitney probably didn't even watch the game. Horc and Smytty were, Whitney busy doing what? Watching game film...
I'm sure he jumped out of his seat and screamed "YES" when Dallas scored
Oilers looked good ish.
But many before me said it best "drive for show (dangle around and look pretty)
Putt for dough (effing bury one)
Lol

seguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
We still had time left and you almost never should be happy about a penalty that far from your goal especially when it negates the PP. And it created the 4 on 4 which killed us, was Jagr killing penalties? If not then he wouldn't have seen the ice there.

N. Schultz made a bad play and it put us even deeper in the hole, but let's be honest, the Jagr goal put the game out of reach. It seemed pretty well out of reach once our PP got cut short and prior to that things looked already grim.
The game was over likely when it was 2-1. Tbh it looked like we could've played 3 more periods without scoring a goal. you disagree?

Old
02-12-2013, 11:35 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Hall had 9 shots. The top line should have had at least 3 goals if it wasn't for Lehtonen's insane play.
9 shots and still only 1 goal. I know his S% was never great but still, you would think 1st overall, he could still pot another. Don't get me started on Nuge and Eberle.

Season is closing in soon and team is still in a funk.

frag2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:35 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Ok, i'm not going crazy then. I thought i was watching a different game based on some posters assessment of Nuge's game tonight. I couldn't help but be encouraged by his play tonight.
I shouldn't have said he was terrible. Still problems with faceoffs and shooting, just fighting it. Some very nice passes but he's not dominating games at all like he was the first 30 games last year.

This team has too many similar players. Hall, Hemsky, Yakupov. Eberle, Gagner, RNH.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote