HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 PM
  #151
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I thought that particular save was overstated by DeBrusk. Lehtonen was stretched out to make the stop before RNH even got the puck.
He was sprawled out like Loungo likes to, if the puck is 2 feet off the ice its likely a goal. Bottom line there is Nuge was in the right place to score, had most of the cage open and just didn't convert it. Chance was there, he did everything right but a big save kept it out.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 PM
  #152
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Great game? I watched the game closely, iso'ed on Nuge, he did next to nothing and created nothing. Never had a scoring chance in the whole game from what I saw. This isn't being enough people.

Nuge is telegraphing plays, most teams have a firm book on what he's trying to do almost everytime and right now is looking about as effective as Omark.

One of the real problems is when you haven't scored in 25games or so nobody even has to take you, just cover the guys you're trying to pass to. You open up offence when you can actually score yourself and represent a threat.

Nuge right now has a longer cold streak then any forward on this club and completely unacceptable playing on a topline with huge PP minutes.
I didn't watch the whole game but he had a pretty insane behind the back pass which would've been a sure goal if Eberle was ready for it in the 1st as I recall.

RNH is playing hurt though, it's fairly obvious, has been for a while, why else would they yank him from OKC and force him to undergo tests before the WJC? Something is up with that shoulder, he needs surgery is my bet, it's just one of those things they're pushing to the off-season (same deal as Hall).

Oh well. This is karma for the Columbus game we had no business winning.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:49 PM
  #153
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Guess you need a new prescription then. Lehtonen was the difference maker, stopped him point blank when the game was still 2-1 in the third.

Nuge is doing fine. His puck recovery and play in his own end is amazing considering he's 19 and this is his second year of pro hockey. Heads up pass to spring Hall a few times, unlucky to be robbed of a goal. At some point, it's got to go in for him.
Look at Phil Kessel, took over 80 shots before he scored this year. It happens. Nuge is fine.
I hear rumors Nuge actually had a scoring chance. I missed the first few minutes of the 3rd not being in any particuarly hurry to see the carnage. Was that when an alledged scoring chance occurred?

Lehtonen wasn't even required to be particularly good. let in a Hall goal he should have had and stopped muffin shots most of the night. Good saves on Gagner, Eberle, and Petry though.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:50 PM
  #154
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Saw a lot of frustration in the Oilers game in the third

They executed their game plan and didn't deserve to lose.

I thought Harti/MPS looked good. We need more big bodies that can skate and some more veteran leadership on defense. Needed to string some wins here. I hope VV isn't viewed as a long term option.

Sheikyerbouti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  #155
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Nuge was excellent tonight imo, he's not playing Renney minutes. He's facing some tough match-ups and is expected to anchor the line defensively

Sheikyerbouti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  #156
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I hear rumors Nuge actually had a scoring chance. I missed the first few minutes of the 3rd not being in any particuarly hurry to see the carnage. Was that when an alledged scoring chance occurred?

Lehtonen wasn't even required to be particularly good. let in a Hall goal he should have had and stopped muffin shots most of the night. Good saves on Gagner, Eberle, and Petry though.
Lehtonen put on a similar performance to what Dubnyk did to Columbus two days ago. His team was outplayed and he stole the win.

Nuge's chance came from a rebound at the side of the net, I don't remember exactly when it happened in the third but I'm not the only one who saw it.
Also the first line was buzzing for the first 40 minutes and some in the 3rd. Nuge was a huge part of the cycle all night, those ripping on him need to shake their heads, he's not the problem.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
  #157
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
He was sprawled out like Loungo likes to, if the puck is 2 feet off the ice its likely a goal. Bottom line there is Nuge was in the right place to score, had most of the cage open and just didn't convert it. Chance was there, he did everything right but a big save kept it out.
He hasn't scored an NHL goal in nearly a calendar year.

You can quote horseshoes but it isn't convincing.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
  #158
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Great game? I watched the game closely, iso'ed on Nuge, he did next to nothing and created nothing. Never had a scoring chance in the whole game from what I saw. This isn't being enough people.

Nuge is telegraphing plays, most teams have a firm book on what he's trying to do almost everytime and right now is looking about as effective as Omark.

One of the real problems is when you haven't scored in 25games or so nobody even has to take you, just cover the guys you're trying to pass to. You open up offence when you can actually score yourself and represent a threat.

Nuge right now has a longer cold streak then any forward on this club and completely unacceptable playing on a topline with huge PP minutes.
Agree to disagree. Even you have to admit that you have a bias against RNH and Eberle, you have the whole season going back to OKC. Don't get me wrong, some of the criticism is warranted but your assessment of his game tonight is off. He had plenty of dangerous opportunities, set up his teammates very nicely a few times and was a bull on the puck. He just can't finish his scoring chances for whatever reason whether it be shoulder soreness, a young player going through a dry spell or whatever but i can't help but to be encouraged by his game tonight. I think he's ripe for a break out game.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:54 PM
  #159
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
He hasn't scored an NHL goal in nearly a calendar year.

You can quote horseshoes but it isn't convincing.
He hasn't scored since that shoulder injury. I don't think it's coincidence.

I've injured my shoulder just playing beer league and you can play through it, but the ability to generate power on the shot goes to **** (at least in my case, and mine was just an awkward jarring of the shoulder, but it lingered for months).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:55 PM
  #160
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I didn't watch the whole game but he had a pretty insane behind the back pass which would've been a sure goal if Eberle was ready for it in the 1st as I recall.

RNH is playing hurt though, it's fairly obvious, has been for a while, why else would they yank him from OKC and force him to undergo tests before the WJC? Something is up with that shoulder, he needs surgery is my bet, it's just one of those things they're pushing to the off-season (same deal as Hall).

Oh well. This is karma for the Columbus game we had no business winning.
Why do people keep arguing with me on this point? i've been saying it since the start of the year that something is clearly wrong with his shot. This is the worst I've seen him shooting the puck ever. No accuracy, no velocity, no quick release and mostly muffin shots or missing the net completely.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
  #161
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
He hasn't scored since that shoulder injury. I don't think it's coincidence.

I've injured my shoulder just playing beer league and you can play through it, but the ability to generate power on the shot goes to **** (at least in my case, and mine was just an awkward jarring of the shoulder, but it lingered for months).
He scored a goal in one of those games against the Flames late last season. That was probably his last one. I remember it being a wicked wrist shot too.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:56 PM
  #162
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Why do people keep arguing with me on this point? i've been saying it since the start of the year that something is clearly wrong with his shot. This is the worst I've seen him shooting the puck ever. No accuracy, no velocity, no quick release and mostly muffin shots or missing the net completely.
Well why harp on the kid if it's obvious he's hurt?

Anyone who's tried playing hockey with a shoulder injury will tell you, your shot is the first thing it affects.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
  #163
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Agree to disagree. Even you have to admit that you have a bias against RNH and Eberle, you have the whole season going back to OKC. Don't get me wrong, some of the criticism is warranted but your assessment of his game tonight is off. He had plenty of dangerous opportunities, set up his teammates very nicely a few times and was a bull on the puck. He just can't finish his scoring chances for whatever reason whether it be shoulder soreness, a young player going through a dry spell or whatever but i can't help but to be encouraged by his game tonight. I think he's ripe for a break out game.
Not true. I was a big RNH fan, wanted the Oil to draft him, happy when they did, said he was a special thinking mans player with laser precision shot that I loved.

Shoulder has entirely screwed him up. I am a little pissed that he didn't get it fixed like he should've.

Theres simply no way his shoulder is good enough to go right now. Its completely impacting his shot and finish.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
  #164
MIL OIL
Registered User
 
MIL OIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Cochrane AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
Should've drafted landeskog, and galchenyuk, traded eberle last year when his stock was high, the highest it will ever be ..... trade gagner, and hemsky now while their stock is high!!!
C'mon tambo, time to start getting rid of the dead weight, and losers that you have put together and bring in some winners, cuz these guys blow

Who really cares who draft, even if we were to win the lottery again, ...cuz they will suck too!
Had to bite my lip reading thos post. Go cheer for another team cause eberle, hall , and NUG aren't going anywhere. And hemsky and gagner have been nothing futher from dead wieght. I and many others disagre.

MIL OIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
  #165
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
If Nuge's shoulder was as bad as everybody here is saying I would have to think he would shy away from the corners and physical stuff.

Haven't seen that yet.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
  #166
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 50
Nuge should have put that one away....instead he slides a weak one along the ice into lehtonen.
That was more on rnh not getting the job done than a great save.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
  #167
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not true. I was a big RNH fan, wanted the Oil to draft him, happy when they did, said he was a special thinking mans player with laser precision shot that I loved.

Shoulder has entirely screwed him up. I am a little pissed that he didn't get it fixed like he should've.

Theres simply no way his shoulder is good enough to go right now. Its completely impacting his shot and finish.
Unfortunately I think it's one of those things that was borderline, you don't want to go get shoulder surgery unless you 100% for sure need it.

I'm guessing it was reinjured at some point in OKC, because for a stretch there all the kids were racking up huge points including RNH and then all of the sudden his production started to drop but Eberle/Schultz' still stayed the same.

And then shortly there after he's yanked from OKC and put on a flight to Edmonton to have tests on the shoulder.

Something happened in one of the OKC games. Even at the World Juniors I didn't think he looked 100%, he was just so much better than everyone else that he could still rack up big points.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #168
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Well why harp on the kid if it's obvious he's hurt?

Anyone who's tried playing hockey with a shoulder injury will tell you, your shot is the first thing it affects.
Because he didn't get it looked after in a long offseason with an added long lockout. No excuse not to get it fixed and come back healthy for this year.

From the word go this year its been evident he's having problems. First major hit and sure enough it got worse.


His shot hasn't been there since he injured the shoulder last year.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #169
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
You take RNH out of this line-up right now and we are sunk. He's not hurt enough to shy away from contact and he's absolutely been contributing.

I think it's difficult to diagnose a shoulder injury via a goal-less streak. IIRC he went through a similar streak at Red Deer before the injury (like half the season). He's 19 and was playing against kids a dozen games ago.

Sheikyerbouti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
  #170
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
Had to bite my lip reading thos post. Go cheer for another team cause eberle, hall , and NUG aren't going anywhere. And hemsky and gagner have been nothing futher from dead wieght. I and many others disagre.
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #171
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not true. I was a big RNH fan, wanted the Oil to draft him, happy when they did, said he was a special thinking mans player with laser precision shot that I loved.

Shoulder has entirely screwed him up. I am a little pissed that he didn't get it fixed like he should've.

Theres simply no way his shoulder is good enough to go right now. Its completely impacting his shot and finish.
I have been saying all along that something seems wonky with hsi shoulder and it does appear to be affecting his shot but tonight was the first time in a while that i was encouraged by his game. He was skating with purpose, very strong on the puck, good on the cycle, aggressive and made some beauty passes that weren't converted. You seriously need to rewatch the game, he was very good.
Admittedly though, i'm concerned about the lack of finish but if tonight is any indication, he is primed to break out of his slump any game now.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #172
Freudian slips
Registered User
 
Freudian slips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: dogville
Country: Canada
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I hear rumors Nuge actually had a scoring chance. I missed the first few minutes of the 3rd not being in any particuarly hurry to see the carnage. Was that when an alledged scoring chance occurred?

Lehtonen wasn't even required to be particularly good. let in a Hall goal he should have had and stopped muffin shots most of the night. Good saves on Gagner, Eberle, and Petry though.
As one of the posters whom I have respected the most over the yearts Rep, you're way off here...can Nuge be better - sure! But he played a good game and was part of a dominant first line tonight.

He is 19. He is in the dreaded sophmore year. And by my eye, he looks like he's tentative with his shoulder. And despite that, he played a very good game tonight.

It's ok to disagree, but you're unusually combative on this point...

Peace

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #173
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
You take RNH out of this line-up right now and we are sunk. He's not hurt enough to shy away from contact and he's absolutely been contributing.

I think it's difficult to diagnose a shoulder injury via a goal-less streak. IIRC he went through a similar streak at Red Deer before the injury (like half the season). He's 19 and was playing against kids a dozen games ago.
They may have to think about shutting him down in 13-14 games IMO if it keeps going like this.

Go get the surgery and heal up for next season, this season could quickly become a wash in the next 10 games or so if the Oilers don't turn it up.

I'd roll with

Harti Gagner Eberle
MPS Hall Yakupov

And deal Hemsky while his value is high for a big body forward or a d-man like Yandle. Ride it out and take the BPA in the top 10.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:03 AM
  #174
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov
 
Booyakasha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Croatia
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic



I dont think that dude knows what "sarcastic" means

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
  #175
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
You take RNH out of this line-up right now and we are sunk. He's not hurt enough to shy away from contact and he's absolutely been contributing.

I think it's difficult to diagnose a shoulder injury via a goal-less streak. IIRC he went through a similar streak at Red Deer before the injury (like half the season). He's 19 and was playing against kids a dozen games ago.
That's right, he was something like 30 games between goals. He's easily the best C on this team right now despite not having the 3 or 4 goals he probably should.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.