HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers @ Boston

View Poll Results: Who are our 3 stars of the game?
Asham 2 1.17%
Callahan 44 25.73%
Del Zotto 2 1.17%
Gaborik 1 0.58%
Gilroy 3 1.75%
Girardi 13 7.60%
Hagelin 87 50.88%
Halpern 5 2.92%
Kreider 0 0%
McDonagh 22 12.87%
Miller 0 0%
Nash 126 73.68%
Powe 0 0%
Pyatt 0 0%
Richards 0 0%
Staal 9 5.26%
Stepan 42 24.56%
Stralman 29 16.96%
Lundqvist 94 54.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
What I had to deal with as a NYR fan living in New England w/o MSG: http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2...if?w=400&h=225

Jarkko Immonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

I'm just glad we don't have to play them again until potentially the playoffs. That team never gives up.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:36 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

I really understand the frustrations and complaints, but this isn't the kind of thing that is going to happen often to this team. Boston is the one team you don't want to meet in the playoffs. But even if the Rangers do meet them, they can beat them. Think the Rangers will be a well-oiled machine come April and May.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
What I had to deal with as a NYR fan living in New England w/o MSG: http://nesncom.files.wordpress.com/2...if?w=400&h=225

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
I really understand the frustrations and complaints, but this isn't the kind of thing that is going to happen often to this team. Boston is the one team you don't want to meet in the playoffs. But even if the Rangers do meet them, they can beat them. Think the Rangers will be a well-oiled machine come April and May.
I think the Rangers can beat Boston, but playing them in a long series can wear you down, they are very physical. But I'm not sold on Tukka Rask, nor do I think their defense is any great shakes, though before the playoffs start, we need to see what teams do about trading at the deadline. Boston has about 5 million in cap space after off-loading Tim Thomas.

ltsthinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:43 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
We blew a 3 goal lead in the 3rd period last year to a worse team in Ottawa. Cup contenders don't have bad losses or um bad WINS? Not the same thing but Chicago got dominated by Calgary in a game this season and won. Are they not cup contenders because they looked bad against actually a mediocre team? I bet I'll find a bad loss or bad win for the 70s Canadians, stop with the melodrama dude.

Edit: The same Bruins lost 7-4 to the Sabres at home this season. That's worse than a bad win. Give me a break.
You're definitely right. Now that I've calmed down I can admit I was being perhaps a little too harsh. There's some things to take out of this game, including the easy schedule coming up and the likely increased focus against the Isles. But either way it's not acceptable blowing a lead like that. I have faith it won't happen again though. I expect a pissed off team Thursday.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
As a suffering native New Yorker Bostonite, I feel your pain. His "hearts of lions" rant was uncomfortable to listen to. In that video, even Brick looked like he didn't want to be next to Jumping Jack.

And now there isn't even Kathryn Tappen to make things more bearable.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We've won 6 of 8 and 3 straight. Fix the PP and Richards will be producing again.

Guess what certain individual is skating pretty well out there?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:47 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
We match up well with them, play well in Boston and Lundqvist's record against them is scary good. I'd rather play the Bruins than the Penguins
even if Boston's scored 9 goals against Hank this year

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:50 PM
JDMSG

Blowing a 3 goal lead definitely hurts. But bahston is the real deal and you can tell, but at least we got the 2 points. My hope is that next time the rangers have a 3 goal lead, they will know EXACTLY what to do to not blow it having been in the situation before.. then again who knows

JDMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
This was so awful to sit through. NBC Sports was blacked out, of course. Had to resort to NESN because I don't get MSG here on Cox Cable in Hartford County.

Him mocking people who call him a homer is what sealed the deal. The idea is that he wouldn't react the same if the Rangers did what the Bruins did.

He's very good about his homerism. He credits the Rangers and their players. But he's also great at using words. Chara was battling Hagelin along the boards for like a second on one dump in and Edwards said that Chara was "throwing him around like a rag doll!" when Chara really was just pressed up against him. It's great strategy. He's a huge homer who at the same time is able to identify the other team's strengths.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Cmox

The B's second goal was a hand pass. But whatever it is what it is, still get 2 points. Lucic should be suspended.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:52 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
You're definitely right. Now that I've calmed down I can admit I was being perhaps a little too harsh. There's some things to take out of this game, including the easy schedule coming up and the likely increased focus against the Isles. But either way it's not acceptable blowing a lead like that. I have faith it won't happen again though. I expect a pissed off team Thursday.
I've had meltdowns of epic proportions before. That's the thing, they're almost all heat of the moment. I guess the loss to the Flyers when half their team was missing was not one that calming down would help. However, when most Rangers fans calm down they'd take the win against a great team like the Bruins and run. 2-1 against them. Not too shabby.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
We match up well with them, play well in Boston and Lundqvist's record against them is scary good. I'd rather play the Bruins than the Penguins
even if Boston's scored 9 goals against Hank this year
I'm less impressed with the Penguins for the playoffs than the Bruins. Talk about a top-heavy team with a meh goalie, that's the Pens. We lost 6 in a row to them, now that the team is playing much tighter defense and has more speed, I think we'd make short work of the Penguins in the playoffs, not so the Bruins, even though we're the Bruins least favored match-up.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Rangers carried the play the entire game, and figured they had it in the bag.

Bruins were still hungry.

Happy to get the win, but that never should have gone that far.

Nash may have silky hands, but he scores with his feet and his skating. What he can do while keeping the puck is incredible.

Hank stopping 3 of 4 is big. No less that what you'd expect.

The captain comes through in the clutch with a great fake-shot/snipe. It's a shame SO goals don't count to stats, he could use some points for his play.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsthinaz View Post
I'm less impressed with the Penguins for the playoffs than the Bruins. Talk about a top-heavy team with a meh goalie, that's the Pens. We lost 6 in a row to them, now that the team is playing much tighter defense and has more speed, I think we'd make short work of the Penguins in the playoffs, not so the Bruins, even though we're the Bruins least favored match-up.
Ha, it's a funny time to talk about playing tighter defense, but I agree most of this game despite spending some time in our zone the team didn't allow the Bruins any chances. This was not a terrible defensive game, just a couple of minutes.

I truly believe we saw the 2 most talented teams in the east play tonight. The Pens a few amazingly great players, but too many meh players and their goalie is blah. That said there's not a team in the league that I want to play less. I'd prefer to play Chicago is they were in the east.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how the Rangers would look against the Pens later in the season. The Rangers have much more consistent tempo. They are also better getting the puck up ice. I think our bottom six and D is better than theirs. If we can dictate the tempo with the Pens, I think we could beat them handedly.

Bruins(also the Devils)are way different in the sense that they can forecheck just as well we can. Either one of those teams are a battle, especially getting the puck out of the zone.

The Rangers love to hard around in the Dzone and the wings let the puck move in hopes that the opposing Dmen will either:
a)not handle the puck well, and have the wing pressure up high.
b)Dman isn't covering far side, and the puck rolls out of the zone.

That stuff doesn't work against either the Devils or Bruins. Both teams can own the far side board. The Rangers need to get better puck support along the wall against those teams. They got to intercept those pucks, or either of those teams will make you pay.

Gaborik is one of the biggest culprits when we play those teams. He is always WAY too soft supporting the puck along the wall.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 AM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
We've won 6 of 8 and 3 straight. Fix the PP and Richards will be producing again.

Guess what certain individual is skating pretty well out there?
Stepan? He has been pretty solid most of the last few games.

Almost everyone is playing well right now, though. Looking more like the team effort from last season with a little bit more skill and speed. Defense still needs to work on their consitency, but for the most part, it's been a great run the the last 2 weeks. 6 out of 8 says it all.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

The best (or worst?) thing about Edwards' homerism, which I really shouldn't care about but I have to, is the way he emphasized that the Rangers were technically 8th in the Eastern Conference. A quarter into the season...a couple of points out of 4th through 6th...he made sure to make a point of it.

Glad I don't have to listen to that fool the rest of the season.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Ha, it's a funny time to talk about playing tighter defense, but I agree most of this game despite spending some time in our zone the team didn't allow the Bruins any chances. This was not a terrible defensive game, just a couple of minutes.

I truly believe we saw the 2 most talented teams in the east play tonight. The Pens a few amazingly great players, but too many meh players and their goalie is blah. That said there's not a team in the league that I want to play less. I'd prefer to play Chicago is they were in the east.
Not that it will end this way, but if the season ended today, we'd be facing Boston as the 1-8. Since if we climb the standing but don't win the division, the best we can be seeded is fourth, there would be a good chance we'd meet the Pens in round one or two. I think we'll beat them easily. This isn't the same team that lost to them early, Crosby is fragile, and we have had trouble with speed team, but that will abate now that we've traded Rupp and demoted Boyle and added Powe, Kreider and Miller.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Stepan? He has been pretty solid most of the last few games.

Almost everyone is playing well right now, though. Looking more like the team effort from last season with a little bit more skill and speed. Defense still needs to work on their consitency, but for the most part, it's been a great run the the last 2 weeks. 6 out of 8 says it all.
Steps has looked a lot better when paired with Hags and Nash the past two games. When that line was first getting going, he didn't look that great.

I'm still not going to judge one way or another. If that line can play well for like 3-4 more games, I will say he has turned a corner.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
ltsthinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
It would be interesting to see how the Rangers would look against the Pens later in the season. The Rangers have much more consistent tempo. They are also better getting the puck up ice. I think our bottom six and D is better than theirs. If we can dictate the tempo with the Pens, I think we could beat them handedly.

Bruins(also the Devils)are way different in the sense that they can forecheck just as well we can. Either one of those teams are a battle, especially getting the puck out of the zone.

The Rangers love to hard around in the Dzone and the wings let the puck move in hopes that the opposing Dmen will either:
a)not handle the puck well, and have the wing pressure up high.
b)Dman isn't covering far side, and the puck rolls out of the zone.

That stuff doesn't work against either the Devils or Bruins. Both teams can own the far side board. The Rangers need to get better puck support along the wall against those teams. They got to intercept those pucks, or either of those teams will make you pay.

Gaborik is one of the biggest culprits when we play those teams. He is always WAY too soft supporting the puck along the wall.
Everyone on these boards is killing Richards, but Gaborik looks more out of place on this team than anyone else, especially is a grinding game. He needs to step it up big time. He's also killing the power play.

Amazing, however, how the defense and bottom six have gone from liabilities to strengths almost overnight with the addition of Miller, Kreider, Powe and Gilroy instead of Bickel and Rupp.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
I'm getting tired of Torts' mishanding of Gilroy out there.

He hasn't made a single mistake out there. He hasn't been on for a goal against. He is playing how your prototypical #6 guy should play. Quietly effective, not making any noise. Only played 4 mins.
He got manhandled a bit physically today.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Everyone on these boards is killing Richards, but Gaborik looks more out of place on this team than anyone else, especially is a grinding game. He needs to step it up big time. He's also killing the power play.

Amazing, however, how the defense and bottom six have gone from liabilities to strengths almost overnight with the addition of Miller, Kreider, Powe and Gilroy instead of Bickel and Rupp.
Well, to be fair, Richards was a disaster tonight.

Gaborik was equally terrible.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I see we're now back to blaming Gaborik for things.

Hi Marian, 111 goals in 232 games?

I suppose if he ends the season with 20 goals I'll be seeing nothing but trade proposals all summer.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote