HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's right, he was something like 30 games between goals. He's easily the best C on this team right now despite not having the 3 or 4 goals he probably should.
Well Nuge hasn't looked amazing, he has been snake bit big time. We also forget he had a goal that should have counted already. I am not that worried about him. I think the pp just needs to get going and some pucks need to start finding the back of the net.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
Had to bite my lip reading thos post. Go cheer for another team cause eberle, hall , and NUG aren't going anywhere. And hemsky and gagner have been nothing futher from dead wieght. I and many others disagre.
I'm still trying to follow this post. I think its in English.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:10 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Didn't have much of a problem with this game other than the complete lack of secondary scoring, and the 1st line running out of gas in the 3rd after carrying the play for the first 2(little early in the season to be gassed by the 3rd of any game). They reversed some worrying trends from the last few weeks, but got burned much like Columbus the other night. If play like that regularly, they'll rebound like Columbus did against SJ the next night eventually.

Gotta give Dallas credit too, they let the Oilers wear themselves out, their goaltender kept them in the game, and the bounces went their way - a perfect road game if you will, Oilers almost won a cup back in 06 playing like this.

Probably the most encouraging sign from this game is Eberle appears to be getting involved again. Saw flashes against Columbus, but this is the first game where he didn't spend large portions of the game on the perimeter doing his best impression of a passenger.

Don't believe Nuge is hurt either, he's still engaging physically on a regular basis in a way that doesn't suggest a shoulder injury. We are also talking about a guy who once went a month against junior competition without scoring a goal. He's clearly showing that he has some streakiness to his game and will have long stretches where he simply isn't able to finish. It's not a huge deal, even the best goalscorers can fall into major slumps.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They may have to think about shutting him down in 13-14 games IMO if it keeps going like this.

Go get the surgery and heal up for next season, this season could quickly become a wash in the next 10 games or so if the Oilers don't turn it up.

I'd roll with

Harti Gagner Eberle
MPS Hall Yakupov

And deal Hemsky while his value is high for a big body forward or a d-man like Yandle. Ride it out and take the BPA in the top 10.
I like this. I would really like to see Hall at center.

Expatriate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They may have to think about shutting him down in 13-14 games IMO if it keeps going like this.

Go get the surgery and heal up for next season, this season could quickly become a wash in the next 10 games or so if the Oilers don't turn it up.
I would wait until the 1/2 mark and see if a play-off race is possible. At this point, I think this team needs to see positive results from the effort they are showing. We've played well and another wasted season will feel like perpetual failure. 48 meaningful games this year is more important for the team than RNH missing 20 or 82 next year imo .

I know that sounds crazy, but the team is only improving and learning through meaningful games. RNH isn't too hurt to play well as seen by tonight's performance, which again I thought was an effective and mature game positionally. He is not hurting the team, he's just not the Nuge

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Paralyzer008

Finally made it to a game so here are my thoughts:

Top line was stellar, Hall was flying and was hands down our best player.
The second line was kind of invisible, Gagner and Hemsky made some decent plays but Yakupov struggled, other than a good chance in front on his backhand and a missed shot. Yak had that terrible giveaway and he did a good job coming back but ultimately it was the sole reason for the third goal.
The third line was good, Belanger dominated on faceoffs and had a great game.
Petrell was OK, Eager was awesome, that hit on Robidas was sensational.
Vande Velde=invisible, probably who Smyth comes in for

On D, Justin Schultz made some decent plays and impressed me for being a rookie. Good with his stick. Smid had a key defensive play and blocked a few shots. Nick Schultz had a few gaffes but had a beautiful hit on Jagr, I didn't notice Fistric too much other than the mini-scrap, Petry was OK but made a few gaffes and could have been stronger. This was Potter's best game in a while, didn't make too many mistakes.

Dubnyk can't really stop the two freak goals, or Jagr's wrister or the breakaway, so no fault for him.

Yakupov had the only stand out mediocre-to-bad game, we should have won that one but Lehtonen was awesome.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian slips View Post
As one of the posters whom I have respected the most over the yearts Rep, you're way off here...can Nuge be better - sure! But he played a good game and was part of a dominant first line tonight.

He is 19. He is in the dreaded sophmore year. And by my eye, he looks like he's tentative with his shoulder. And despite that, he played a very good game tonight.

It's ok to disagree, but you're unusually combative on this point...

Peace
Yeah, just frustrated. I think he's hurt, the org knew they'd screwed up again by not requiring him to get the shoulder fixed, and that they hadn't learned anything from Hemsky(shoulder) Horc(shoulder)Hall(shoulder) and now Nuge(shoulder)

I'm more pissed off with the org chronically making the same mistake and "Oh it'll get better.

This being the same org that used to duct tape Mike Griers arm back on each time he came to the bench and "Oh, he'll be allright, it can't get worse"

But yeah, I'm hot about this. Good call.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

vCash: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well Nuge hasn't looked amazing, he has been snake bit big time. We also forget he had a goal that should have counted already. I am not that worried about him. I think the pp just needs to get going and some pucks need to start finding the back of the net.
well the kids looked great in the 1st, and I don't know if it was the flukey goals that deflated the team, but RNH looked better this game than previous few...
not sure if its his shoulder like some think or just snake bit...but that shot he had should have been lifted.

who knows, ...some are dreading the upcoming road trip....maybe its what they need to get galvanized?

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

All I asked of them was to stop Jagr
But no...

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Mentallydull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
All I asked of them was to stop Jagr
But no...
I could only shake my head that it was Jagr AGAIN.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Draw me an Elephant

To give a little perspective - you know who else hasn't scored a goal this year? Henrik Sedin. I think RNH could end up being very comparable to Sedin - a very cerebral pure playmaking center who will never put up huge goal totals and a kid who is a bit of a late bloomer physically and will take a while to hit his prime.

Draw me an Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:21 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

RNH did look better today but remember his first 10 games last year? We were blown away.

Tambellini won't make a trade to significantly improve this team, so shut down your 19 year old #1 center and let him heal before it gets any worse.

Why prolong this mediocre season? Why have him play through the pain?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
RNH did look better today but remember his first 10 games last year? We were blown away.

Tambellini won't make a trade to significantly improve this team, so shut down your 19 year old #1 center and let him heal before it gets any worse.

Why prolong this mediocre season? Why have him play through the pain?
This is what I mean by some Oiler fans having a losing mentality, almost wanting to lose. We're only a point from the playoffs and we're talking about shutting him down.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Freudian slips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, just frustrated. I think he's hurt, the org knew they'd screwed up again by not requiring him to get the shoulder fixed, and that they hadn't learned anything from Hemsky(shoulder) Horc(shoulder)Hall(shoulder) and now Nuge(shoulder)

I'm more pissed off with the org chronically making the same mistake and "Oh it'll get better.

This being the same org that used to duct tape Mike Griers arm back on each time he came to the bench and "Oh, he'll be allright, it can't get worse"

But yeah, I'm hot about this. Good call.

well now I'm mad!!

Freudian slips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
This is what I mean by some Oiler fans having a losing mentality, almost wanting to lose. We're only a point from the playoffs and we're talking about shutting him down.
The fans wouldn't have a losing mentality if the organization didn't.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I wonder if playing in the AHL hurt Eberle and RNH.

Maybe I'm just looking for excuses for their play.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 AM
ohheyhemsky

Has anyone here ever had to play a game with a borrowed, short stick after yours had broken?

Do you remember how it always seemed like you were fighting the puck when you were stick handling, and the puck always seemed to just roll off the end of your blade?

Does reading this remind anyone of Yakupov?

Last edited by ohheyhemsky: 02-13-2013 at 12:46 AM.
ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The fans wouldn't have a losing mentality if the organization didn't.

Exactly. We have to want to lose because the organization obviously wants to lose.

Double wrong on that statement.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Playoffs?

Oilers are 1-3-3 in their last seven games.

Oilers are 30th in the league in ES goals scored with 10 in 13 games.

Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest

That's 13 games this year without a goal for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Dating back to last season, it's 24 NHL games without scoring.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Has anyone here ever had to play a game with a borrowed, short stick after yours has broken?

Do you remember how it always seemed like you were fighting the puck when you were stick handling, and the always seemed to just roll off the end of your blade?

Does reading this remind anyone of Yakupov?
I chuckled, ..but was nodding in agreement.

don't want to get down on the kid, but boy was this game bad for him...and that line.
so out of sync.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:

Exactly. We have to want to lose because the organization obviously wants to lose.

Double wrong on that statement.
Righty-o.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

I still say we make the playoffs

Old
02-13-2013, 12:45 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Playoffs?

Oilers are 1-3-3 in their last seven games.

Oilers are 30th in the league in ES goals scored with 10 in 13 games.

Derek Van Diest ‏@SUNdvandiest

That's 13 games this year without a goal for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. Dating back to last season, it's 24 NHL games without scoring.
So? Despite the terrible stats, we still have managed to be in the playoff race. So as long as Dubnyk plays well, there is a chance the floodgates do eventually open.

Sharks haven't won in a while, they must be out of the playoffs now

Old
02-13-2013, 12:47 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

RNH had at least 2 good chances, the backhand from cutting in front of the net where Daley got his arm on him the same way that Eager got his when he got called for holding. Then there was the play where he was at the side of the net and Lehtonen made the stop on him. I really don't know how anyone let alone anyone that was "keying in on him all game" could've missed that. Then there were his passes to Eberle where he narrowly missed scoring and at least 1 where he sprung Hall. Not his best game, but he was creating offense.

02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
So? Despite the terrible stats, we still have managed to be in the playoff race. So as long as Dubnyk plays well, there is a chance the floodgates do eventually open.

Sharks haven't won in a while, they must be out of the playoffs now
How about a year long avatar bet?

Show me one team who was last in the league in ES goal scoring who made the playoffs in the last twenty years.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote