HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Trade Rumors

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Reclamation Project
オオシマ・ヒロミ

vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Just say no to Ryan Whitney. Just no.
This.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:25 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robitaillefan View Post
Ryan Whitney is a healthy scratch again for the oilers tonight. Might be able to Pick him up for some picks.

Injury prone but could be a good Change for him
Dude's a whiner and too slow. Not a good fit for our team or the locker room.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Ollie Weeks

Outstanding post, Richie10.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:36 PM
CandianKingsFan14

This is from Sportsnet website.

Andy Strickland of True Hockey reports that L.A. Kings backup goaltender Jonathan Bernier still wants to be moved, but the timing of such a trade looks to be dependent on when and how the Roberto Luongo situation gets resolved:
"For now Bernier is in a holding pattern, at least until Luongo gets moved. Sources close to Bernier tell me they believe he will eventually be traded but it’s unlikely to happen until after the Vancouver situation is resolved. Many believe Canucks GM Mike Gillis will trade Luongo sooner than later. Then again with the way Luongo is playing he might be better off keeping him for the time being.
"The Toronto Maple Leafs are certainly an option should they fail to land Luongo in a trade. Lombardi has indicated privately there’s a specific player on the Maple Leafs roster he wants in return for Bernier. While he won’t reveal who the player is, it’s safe to suggest Toronto isn’t willing to part with him, at least for now."

I wonder who the player is on the Leafs that Lombardi wants.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandianKingsFan14 View Post

Andy Strickland of True Hockey reports that L.A. Kings backup goaltender Jonathan Bernier still wants to be moved, but the timing of such a trade looks to be dependent on when and how the Roberto Luongo situation gets resolved:
"For now Bernier is in a holding pattern, at least until Luongo gets moved. Sources close to Bernier tell me they believe he will eventually be traded but it’s unlikely to happen until after the Vancouver situation is resolved. Many believe Canucks GM Mike Gillis will trade Luongo sooner than later. Then again with the way Luongo is playing he might be better off keeping him for the time being.
"The Toronto Maple Leafs are certainly an option should they fail to land Luongo in a trade. Lombardi has indicated privately there’s a specific player on the Maple Leafs roster he wants in return for Bernier. While he won’t reveal who the player is, it’s safe to suggest Toronto isn’t willing to part with him, at least for now."

Matt Frattin?

Old
02-12-2013, 08:45 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Nazem Kadri? Jake Gardiner? My guess is it's a Dman, so probably Gardiner

Old
02-12-2013, 08:56 PM
David Strorm
@ControlPuck

Big feeling its Frattin. Deans been looking at trading with Toronto since before our Defence injuries, so I don't see it being a D.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
CandianKingsFan14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
I know the leafs would never part with Gardiner, so my guess would be either Kadri or Frattin

Old
02-12-2013, 08:58 PM
CandianKingsFan14

I have always been a fan of Frattin.

Frattin-Stoll-Lewis

Old
02-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Ollie Weeks

Frattin has 7 goals so far. I seriously doubt Toronto does this deal, especially seeing as how they're winning games and getting semi-reliable mileage out of Reimer and Scrivens.

Old
02-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

If its Frattin, the Kings will have to move another forward. He's pretty similar in style to Dwight King, do perhaps they could package Bernier, King and Muzzin for Frattin, Franson and Scrivens or a 2nd. Since the Kings need a RH dman on the 3rd pair, Franson may be a better option over Muzzin, especially since Drewiske has come around and Ellerby is in the fold.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:33 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie10 View Post
Something I suggested last year on LGK that no one seemed to like - yet seems to be where Dean and Sutter want to take this team - is using our center depth to, in essence, roll four lines that could all be considered second or third lines at their worst. We saw this last night in St. Louis, with our "fourth" line being Penner-Stoll-Lewis.

If the plan, which I think it should be, is to go forward with Kopitar-Carter-Richards-Stoll as our four centers, we need to play money ball on the wings. We could do this with youth (ex. Toffoli) or reclamation projects (ex. Gagne, Penner) or both.

Going forward this is our permanent skeleton under this philosophy:

xxxxxx-Kopitar-Brown
xxxxxx-Carter-Williams
xxxxxx-Richards-xxxxxx
xxxxxx-Stoll-xxxxxx

Guys like Lewis, King, Nolan, etc. are all surely to be on the team next season, but all in bottom six roles. Once again, the lack of a true, natural LW in the system continues to plague us. However, Brown has shown that he can play a top line LW role, meaning we don't necessarily need to break the bank going after a top flight LW of Vanek/Ovechkin caliber.

Prospects ready to make the jump come down to Toffoli, a natural RW and likely good compliment on a Kopitar line where he can have a lot of room. This almost assures Brown gets moved to the left.

With all of that said, we're looking at something like this:

Brown-Kopitar-Toffoli
xxxxxx-Carter-Williams
xxxxxx-Richards-Nolan
King-Stoll-Lewis

Assuming only Toffoli makes the jump and King/Nolan/Lewis don't lose their spot at any point, we're looking at a need for a first/second line LW to play with Carter and a bottom six LW to play with Richards.

As far as LWs go that fit this mold and may or may not be available at the deadline, via free agency, or a draft day trade, we're looking at a relatively short list.

Some of the big name free agents that would be attractive to Lombardi's type of player are Brenden Morrow, Ryan Clowe, and Guilamme Latendresse. Clowe and Morrow are likely to not be interested, seeing as how they've been fixtures on division rivals for years.

Other names that may elicit interest include:

Clarke Macarthur
Matt Cooke
Mason Raymond

Simon Gagne and/or Dustin Penner could easily play their way into renewed contracts, as well.

There's also a whole slew of RFAs that could possibly be had if the price is right, including Geoffrion, Hagelin, Paajarvi, Korpikoski, etc.

I believe this is absolutely the way to build the team going forward.
Wow!

Great post r10, lots of food for thought.

Off the top of my head I did notice that our own kids who are or will/should be ready to make the jump
next season are more than Toffoli and in fact I want to see how TT does in camp next year before I hand him a spot (not that you were).

We have Kozun who is ready and can play 3rd line (bottom 6) with 2nd line upside. He has solid hands and is a proven scorer at every level he plays, is responsible in his own end and likes to agitate. He was on the cusp of ready this year (I think he was ready but Morris thinks he was "close") so he should be ready all the way by next.

Andy Andy is ready to step in to a bottom 6 role. Grinder agitator shut down forward who can give us a solid character player that can skate well too.

Vey though a center will be ready for his call ups next season.

Clifford will have to be one of our wings next season and going forward.

Pearson should be close to ready going into next season too.

You put up allot to think about for sure.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:38 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Lol'd at the part of "Penner could play his way in to a new contract". He's playing his way in to retirement...or Europe. His ****ing choice but he better not be in LA next year.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlPuck View Post
Big feeling its Frattin. Deans been looking at trading with Toronto since before our Defence injuries, so I don't see it being a D.
Things can change though. But i'd agree it must be Frattin imo.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Lol'd at the part of "Penner could play his way in to a new contract". He's playing his way in to retirement...or Europe. His ****ing choice but he better not be in LA next year.
He's playing his way to the El Cid softball league. The guy is going to be a big risk for any club that gambles on signing him as a top six forward. We've seen better scorers fizzle out of the league (Cheechoo for example). I could see a bottom of the barrel team desperate for players, like Calgary, signing him and trying to pass him off as a legit option as a top six forward.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
damacles1156

Penner's career is over. I just don't see a drive in that guy.

He has money, Two Cups.

Doesn't have the foot speed to play in this league anymore, Doesn't use his body well enough (or consistently).

Worst of all, he isn't scoring anymore.

I mean what is left for this guy.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:01 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Matt Frattin?
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If its Frattin, the Kings will have to move another forward. He's pretty similar in style to Dwight King, do perhaps they could package Bernier, King and Muzzin for Frattin, Franson and Scrivens or a 2nd. Since the Kings need a RH dman on the 3rd pair, Franson may be a better option over Muzzin, especially since Drewiske has come around and Ellerby is in the fold.
Pass on franson. Great package, but bad attitude. He's a 'me first' player. there's a reason Nashville parted with him for so little, and it wasn't all about the salary dump of Lombardi either.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:03 AM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandianKingsFan14 View Post

"For now Bernier is in a holding pattern, at least until Luongo gets moved. Sources close to Bernier tell me they believe he will eventually be traded but itís unlikely to happen until after the Vancouver situation is resolved. Many believe Canucks GM Mike Gillis will trade Luongo sooner than later. Then again with the way Luongo is playing he might be better off keeping him for the time being.
"The Toronto Maple Leafs are certainly an option should they fail to land Luongo in a trade. Lombardi has indicated privately thereís a specific player on the Maple Leafs roster he wants in return for Bernier. While he wonít reveal who the player is, itís safe to suggest Toronto isnít willing to part with him, at least for now."

frattin is the ovious answer but i think Nikolai Kulemin could also fit the bill. He does play a 200 foot game .

Old
02-13-2013, 01:42 AM
KingLB

How is Clifford not included in a roster for next year? But prospects are??

Old
02-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
How is Clifford not included in a roster for next year? But prospects are??
Seriously, there shouldn't be any doubt about Clifford and his status with the team next season. Him and Nolan have really eased the loss of Wayne Simmonds. Clifford's also displaying more skill and speed this season and he has some great long term potential.

It's no wonder that Mike Gillis had Kyle Clifford on his shortlist of players he was willing to trade Cody Hodgson for.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:03 AM
Richie10

Yikes, yeah, totally left out Clifford. He's clearly playing into a regular top six tweener role if not more.

Pearson, Vey, and Kozun are all guys that can make the jump sooner rather than later. It all depends on what spots are open.

And yes, obviously Penner has been a load of crap this season, but he did have a good game against St. Louis. If the guy finishes the shortened season with 15-20-35, though, do you really see us not resigning him, even at a two, three year deal? Same can be said for Gagne. Anything can happen. This board wanted Penner gone at the deadline last season, but fell in love with him after his playoff run. Anything can happen.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:28 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Also, Richie10, you completely left Clifford out of the equation who is a natural LW. Barring injury, he isn't going anywhere.
Clifford has been ballsy thus far.

That guy did something right during the lockout.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Penner's career is over. I just don't see a drive in that guy.

He has money, Two Cups.

Doesn't have the foot speed to play in this league anymore, Doesn't use his body well enough (or consistently).

Worst of all, he isn't scoring anymore.

I mean what is left for this guy.
The dude was on a clear cut break along the left hand wall last game and decided to pass to Stoll who was slightly behind the play AND through a defender with no space even remotely to pass rather than take a few more strides to at least get a shot on net.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:51 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
They're thin as is on Center, it wouldn't be Kadri especially if they wouldn't move him for Luongo.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
The dude was on a clear cut break along the left hand wall last game and decided to pass to Stoll who was slightly behind the play AND through a defender with no space even remotely to pass rather than take a few more strides to at least get a shot on net.

Cmon, the guy was not on a clear cut break. He was going to be overtaken and he knew it. His pass to Stoll was not effective, but it was better than the shot he wasn't going to get off.

He had a very effective game last against St. Louis (only his 4th of the season). He'll stay in the lineup if they keep rolling the 4 centres like they have been. It effectively limits his competition to Brad Richardson, who brings almost nothing to the table at this stage.

I could see Gagne coming back for another year if he stays healthy and remains semi productive, but Penner is a much longer shot.

Closed Thread