HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

RDS: Habs offer over $4M to Shanahan

Old
07-08-2006, 03:02 AM
wholeshow*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I was told of a 5 year plan. It's been 5 years and without any additions we're probably not making the playoffs this season. I have every right to be pissed off and if you don't like that, well then too bad son.
you said the same garbage last year too, and guess what? you were wrong.

didn't shanahan visit montreal as well? oh yah...but because you think the canadiens suck and aren't going to make the playoffs...they're totally out of the shanahan sweepstakes. your reasoning is superb.

but i find it funny that you're confirming rumors based on your personal bias.

keep it up, davey999 part deux.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Hockeymom67

Shanny to Mtl. would be too good to be true

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Esker11

My opinion is that he is still good for two years and worth more than Koivu so go BG offer him 5M per for two years !

Esker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
sposman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post

didn't shanahan visit montreal as well? oh yah...but because you think the canadiens suck and aren't going to make the playoffs...they're totally out of the shanahan sweepstakes. your reasoning is superb.

Actually, he was right. If not for Huet being all-world, they don't don't come close to sniffing the playoffs. It's not realistic in any way shape or form to assume Huet can match that performance IMO. Much like with Theo, it's a huge risk to lay all your eggs in the "we can only make the playoffs if our goalie is great" basket. Look what hapepned with Theo last year when that was done. If Huet is not spectacular (and no, very good will not get it done) they won't make the playoffs.

sposman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 08:44 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post

I never said stuff like that last year. It's only now... when Gainey is pissing away assests and not even making the team a contender, that I'm pissed off. But according to people like you... Bob Gainey is infallible. Those Audette and Turgeon contracts were the work of the devil. Bob had nothing to do with them since he's too good to make mistakes.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 09:40 AM
digitalmonkey*

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=170831&hubname=nhl

"Veteran winger Brendan Shanahan, who had 40 goals last season with the Red Wings, has narrowed down his options to two teams, Detroit and another unnamed team, a source said Friday. Boston and St. Louis are no longer in the running. Shanahan, 37, will mull it over this weekend and likely make a decision early next week."

Is the other team Montreal or Los Angeles......or some other team not even being talked about much? Hmmmmmmmmm...

digitalmonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:19 AM
DrM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie_D View Post
Shanahan is worth the 4M. I would even say 5M. When I think of Shanahan I think : leadership (proven winner), goal scorer, big body.

He's exactly what we need. With Zednik and probably Aebischer almost certainly leaving, the salary cap in not an issue. He could teach guys like Higgins, Plekenec, Perezoghin, Kostitsyn, and maybe even Riberio a little bit about winning and what It takes.

9M, 2 year - no trade clause. Give him what he wants.
Yessss, exactly what we need! And of those things you mention, leadership is key.
I mean, we were whipping carolina in the playoffs until we lost koivu.. (and ward stepped in)

DrM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Digger03

http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/rangers_make_shanahan_offer_rangers_larry_brooks.h tm

Looks like NYR are interested also I honestly think he is driving up the price too much for shanny at this point in his career.

Digger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger03 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/sports/rangers/rangers_make_shanahan_offer_rangers_larry_brooks.h tm

Looks like NYR are interested also I honestly think he is driving up the price too much for shanny at this point in his career.

well according to that the habs are offering shanny much less than 4 million . it says the rags are offering 3.5 million much more than montreal .

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Chet-Nick

Read it again ...

It is believed that Shanahan has offers of between $3.25-$3.5M from the Rangers; slightly more than that to return to Detroit; and significantly larger than that from Montreal. Despite reports elsewhere, neither the Kings nor the Bruins are in the hunt.

... the key phrase is "more than that". Obviously "that" referring to New York's offer. All things being equal. He re-sign with the Red Wings and be named captain.

Chet-Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:58 AM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
well according to that the habs are offering shanny much less than 4 million . it says the rags are offering 3.5 million much more than montreal .
I think it says the opposite. Montreal > Detroit > New York

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 11:02 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
I think it says the opposite. Montreal > Detroit > New York

ahhhh my mistake bigtimer . i reed it again and your right sounds like the habs have the biggest money offer on the table.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:16 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sposman View Post
Actually, he was right. If not for Huet being all-world, they don't don't come close to sniffing the playoffs. It's not realistic in any way shape or form to assume Huet can match that performance IMO. Much like with Theo, it's a huge risk to lay all your eggs in the "we can only make the playoffs if our goalie is great" basket. Look what hapepned with Theo last year when that was done. If Huet is not spectacular (and no, very good will not get it done) they won't make the playoffs.
lol, what the hell is this garbage? habs only made the playoffs because of huet 'being all-world'? We were in a playoff position for the majority of the season while theo was literally laying eggs on ice, pulling numbers that mirrored the likes of Patrick Lalime who happened to be playing for the worst team in the NHL.
Two can play your little game.
NO ONE expected Jose to be as bad as he was, yet here we have bigtimer predicting that the habs wouldn't make the playoffs then and again this year...when we have two goaltenders with absolutely superb career stats. The team in front of the goaltenders was good enough to make the playoffs in 03/04, a better team was able to do the same in 05/06...so why shouldn't a more veteran team from the prior year not be able to do the same?
All of the 'other' teams that 'supposedly' got better in the offseason overpaid like crazy, giving them massive holes with little cap room to correct them.
If you don't think Bob is in a good position to make a mid season move, and acquire an expensive player for cheap when hardly anyother teams would be able to acquire this same player...you'd need to get your head checked.

The habs won't make the playoffs, just like how the 'experts' predicted the sabres and canes to not do the same this past last year. I commend you on your astounding ability to predict things and understanding of the cap, and the new direction of the NHL.
*note that was sarcasm*

Last edited by wholeshow*: 07-08-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old
07-08-2006, 12:30 PM
LeGars Du Cable

Quote:
I never said stuff like that last year. It's only now... when Gainey is pissing away assests and not even making the team a contender, that I'm pissed off. But according to people like you... Bob Gainey is infallible. Those Audette and Turgeon contracts were the work of the devil. Bob had nothing to do with them since he's too good to make mistakes.
.................................................. ...................

LeGars Du Cable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 12:42 PM
wholeshow*

Quote:
nah i'm sure i saw you whine and complain like this season when you watched ufa's getting overpaid by other teams.

yes, we're all saddened that hainsey and beauchemin were lost for nothing. but we just had too much depth at the bottom pairing d-man position. hainsey could have been saved however if gainey didn't go out and sign mark streit. beauchemin nor hainsey got a fair chance, and i'm kind of angered too (but our defense is still good even though people like to underrate it). The other "assest" we lost that i can think of is, jason ward. I thought he was a good player, but nothing more than a 4th liner.

But with that said, didn't Gainey win a stanley cup after building it slowly into a perennial contender?
Was Audette REALLY that bad? in the 20 games he played for the stars he had 4 goals, 8 assists and was +2. He was traded because he couldn't build chemistry with his new team, but it took them only 20 games to conclude that audette wouldn't be able to salvage the season? Audette was coming off a year where he had 79 points in 76 games, so bob didn't exactly hand out the contract to a no-name loser.
Atleast he got a good player in return with ruchinsky (who didn't pan out in dallas either and was traded for manny malhotra). So atleast Gainey is able to correct his mistakes (see theodore this year). As for turgeon, yah that was bad. But this stuff youre mentiong took place 4 years ago and with a totally different club.

But it's ironic that you're condemning BG for overpaying two veteran UFA's (4 years ago with a different team), while being pessimistic and bitter over bob's bob's inability to sign UFA's this season. Two words...salary cap.

Bob may seem to over pay his RA's, but with the apparent tax rate...he's giving them fair market value...and we also need a certain amount of players to ice a competitive team.

Last edited by wholeshow*: 07-08-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old
07-08-2006, 06:49 PM
Kimota
Three Bananas

A good way to get him would be to offer a contract with a bigger length than the others.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
tritone

Quote:
It's between Detroit and Los Angeles.
Come on , say it , let me hear you say it.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote