HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nick Petrecki on waivers (Cleared)

Old
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Of course not all small guys can translate to the NHL. But it's about time we took a chance on someone with huge upside.

Other guys on the smaller side (but not that small) that I'm interested in in the mid-late first are Arturri Lehkonen (5'10'', but good wheels and scoring at a .75 pace through ~40 games in the SM-Liiga against men) and Anthony Duclair (also 5'10'', but also great wheels and slick hands). These are the kind of guys we should be after. Worth noting that both are only about 150 points and both are July/August birthdates.

Ahhh, this draft is so exciting, and also gonna be on my birthday.
It will be less exciting when DW trades the 1st and 2nd pick at the trade deadline.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 AM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Easy was talking about early picks. In the late first and early second, the kids with the most talent are generally the smaller kids, because the big kids with skill go very early.

Just as an aside, I'd love to take a chance on Nic Petan this draft. He's only 5'9'', but he's insanely talented.
Thanks, my point exactly. I want size later. That is where the Sharks have had the most success with size.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 AM
RexFeral
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Thanks, my point exactly. I want size later. That is where the Sharks have had the most success with size.
JK to take over GM duties in CBJ. I take it you like this move?

RexFeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexFeral View Post
JK to take over GM duties in CBJ. I take it you like this move?
Outstanding move for the Jackets. His track record on drafting is way up there. Big on skill over size, and he doesn't miss on size much either. It's a hire based on performance rather than knowing someone although he did spend time in StL. with Davidson. He probably needs 3 or 4 years to turn it around.

Old
02-14-2013, 01:41 AM
OrrNumber4

I don't want to suggest that Petrecki is struggling due to a lack of effort (after all, I don't really follow Worcester), but if he is, I hope this is the kick in the pants. Always embarassing to be unclaimed on waivers....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
I don't want to suggest that Petrecki is struggling due to a lack of effort (after all, I don't really follow Worcester), but if he is, I hope this is the kick in the pants. Always embarassing to be unclaimed on waivers....
Have you ever read a single word about a lack of effort from anyone that watches Petrecki on a regular basis? And it's not "Always embarassing (sic) to be unclaimed on waivers" either.

[Mod]

Last edited by slocal: 02-14-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: that wasn't necessary
210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:50 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Have you ever read a single word about a lack of effort from anyone that watches Petrecki on a regular basis? And it's not "Always embarassing (sic) to be unclaimed on waivers" either.

[Mod]
I didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist...

Old
02-14-2013, 02:03 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
I didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist...
He has a point though. There was no indication of Petrecki having motivation issues, and it isn't embarrassing to go unclaimed. Sometimes, teams just don't have a spot for a 7th defenseman on their roster.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:15 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
He has a point though. There was no indication of Petrecki having motivation issues, and it isn't embarrassing to go unclaimed. Sometimes, teams just don't have a spot for a 7th defenseman on their roster.
It is also an issue of demand for physical dmen. Some teams go almost entirely without. More and more teams are looking for the ability to move the puck quickly. In that regard, he did not look good in his debut with SJ.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:38 PM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Yeah, 30 teams are basically saying "we don't want you". It may not be embarrassing in the sense that other's in the locking room are making fun of him, but it could be an internal sucker punch for any player...

Old
02-14-2013, 02:53 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Yeah, 30 teams are basically saying "we don't want you". It may not be embarrassing in the sense that other's in the locking room are making fun of him, but it could be an internal sucker punch for any player...
29 teams (Sharks would have put him through unconditional waivers if they didn't want him), and it isn't "we don't want you" but "we don't need you". There is a difference.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:54 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
29 teams (Sharks would have put him through unconditional waivers if they didn't want him), and it isn't "we don't want you" but "we don't need you". There is a difference.
Or 'we are not convinced you are NHL ready and we don't have a roster spot to waste if not'.

Remember, if someone picked him up they would have to play him in the NHL.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:56 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Yep. I also think that DW was pretty smart by keeping Petrecki on the NHL roster for as long as he could. Other teams lineups were set and teams wouldn't have a need (or quite possibly space on their NHL roster) for him.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 02:59 PM

Remember, a team really has to have a need and a spot for a player to claim him.

Just think of the number of player that clear waivers each season...some of them are absolutely good enough to play in the NHL, but if there isn't a team with a need for his skill set and a place to play him he goes unclaimed.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 04:38 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Remember, a team really has to have a need and a spot for a player to claim him.

Just think of the number of player that clear waivers each season...some of them are absolutely good enough to play in the NHL, but if there isn't a team with a need for his skill set and a place to play him he goes unclaimed.
Most years, players aren't moved before Thanksgiving, about 2 months into the season. Roughly the quarter pole. And, the teams that move early have desperate needs because of injury or are absolutely underperforming projections. That excludes perpetual bottom feeders. The after Thanksgiving movement is extremely limited. We are about at the quarter mark, but the GMs are also looking at the cap issues for next year which is sure to make trading/moving players that much more difficult. This year may be a blip on the radar for the trend to increased movement.