HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 3.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
It would make sense for prospects that we are uncertain of signing like Walsh and Archambault to wait for their season to be over in order to evaluate them properly and not waste a contract on them if they believe they have no future in the organization. But on this case in makes no sense since I think it's almost a no-brainer that Dietz will be signed baring some catastrophe.
Actually, Brisebois praised him on l'Antichambre.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Actually, Brisebois praised him on l'Antichambre.
Signing talented players like Archambault should be a no-brainer,he must learn it's a team game ala Avtsin.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
If you can grab a guy (even though if it's in the 2nd) who has a 80% chance to make it as a 3rd liner/weak 2nd liner with added size and toughness, you take him.

If it doesn't work out, it's 1 of 3 2nd rounders. Plus, we've attempted to take skill over size before it didn't workout. It goes both way.
Well, I think you can talk about upside and toughness in the same way you talk about other skills and upside. You just have to see toughness and what goes with it as a skill. Some evaluators don't seem to see it that way. Others sometimes put too much of a premium on it, which leads to unfair draft selections -- unfair in the sense of maybe putting too much of an expectation on the drafted player. Like Gillies, Wilson, Moroz, McIlrath and perhaps Biggs, to name a few recent examples off the top of my head.

Anyway, I'm not at all against the idea of taking a player with high upside in the toughness department, especially in a year where the Habs have 3 2nd round picks (for now, at least) in a supposedly deep draft. You just have to hope that your scouts can identify a player with the rare combination of great toughness upside and strong fundamentals in other parts of their game.

My sense is that the challenge has a few different sources. One of them seems to be projecting hockey IQ. There are guys who will never be among the most skilled players at any level, but they have a hockey brain that allows them to keep playing the game soundly as they steadily move up level by level. Another is the guessing game resulting from the fact that there will always be a few teams in any draft that place a high value on the toughness quotient. There is a risk that a desired Top Tough Prospect just won't last until the next time you pick.

Last thought: I find there is irony in the Leafs whipping the Habs last game. That was a performance by the Leafs that one would associate with the truculence and so on that Burke would bombast on about. One can wonder how much Burke compromised himself by sticking with Wilson rather than going with a Carlyle-type-of-coach during his tenure.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:32 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Signing talented players like Archambault should be a no-brainer,he must learn it's a team game ala Avtsin.
Archambeault is really a candidate to NOT get signed. Not sure he's a better player than, say, Émile Poirier at the moment. Actually, I'm pretty convinced Poirier is better ATM.

Besides, what's the relation between your post and mine that you were quoting?!??!?!

EDIT : Got it. Brisebois was praising Dietz, not Archambault. Archambault isn't in his jurisdiction.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Archambeault is really a candidate to NOT get signed. Not sure he's a better player than, say, Émile Poirier at the moment. Actually, I'm pretty convinced Poirier is better ATM.

Besides, what's the relation between your post and mine that you were quoting?!??!?!

EDIT : Got it. Brisebois was praising Dietz, not Archambault. Archambault isn't in his jurisdiction.
Archambault needs grooming... If he can get good supervision he could become something.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
S Bah

Quote:

Poirier while being two years removed from Hamilton doesn't need to be signed if drafted.I misquoted should have quoted Chris Cutter's post.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Archambault needs grooming... If he can get good supervision he could become something.
The team also has a max of 50 contracts.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:59 PM
MXD

This said, a Samuel Morin wouldn't be a bad idea, but off-topic.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering if the Rangers will sign Samuel Noreau...

Old
02-12-2013, 08:49 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Yes but only using 45 ATM.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 AM
SeriousFan09

Dietz is regressing to the mean finally. Gone from -20 to -4 in his last 8 games. +/- is overrated as a stat, but can be useful contrasting against the rest of a player's teammates and no way should he have been the worst +/- guy on the team.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Watched Dartmouth play on Sunday, never finished the game as it was boring as hell. While Walsh was held off the score-sheet, I thought he was moving better this time around then the game I saw earlier on. He was playing on the LW for a change. Looks like I will get to see him again this weekend.

Unless Dietz has some unreal contract demands I don't see how he's not signed at some point before June 1st. Thrower should be inked at some point in the off-season as well even though he doesn't have to be.
Is Walsh looking contract worthy? Looking forward to your weekend report!

Old
02-13-2013, 07:09 AM
DAChampion

Why does everyone assume Archambault is talented?

What does talented mean? Does he have the potential to become a Sergei Kostitsyn type player?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:36 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

What does talented mean? Does he have the potential to become a Sergei Kostitsyn type player?
Did you ever saw Archambault play?

If you would, you wouldn't have asked that question...

The problem is, as talented as he is.... he's not that great as a hockey player at this point.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

I find he is a talented QMJHL player, but not sure if he is explosive enough at his size to sign and play AHL. We may be better off signing an NCAA FA or Euro FA instead.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Was watching some of the blades game last night in between the Habs. Dietz had a nice assist on the 1st goal. Thrower should have had a nice assist as he feed Burns who flubbed the puck in what would have been a tap in goal but on the other hand he made another mistake in his own end while trying to get the puck out of his end. I've seen him to do this several times, as he seems to make high risk decisions with the puck in front of his goalie that will need to be addressed when he becomes a pro.

Quote:
Depending on how things go, we could have a number of open spots with RFA's that won't be back next season. So while we should have at least a few incoming rookies, it could shape up that we will have a lot of room to sign a few prospects unless management wants to try and off-set the youth movement in Hamilton with some more vets then they had this year.

Should be an interesting off-season since we have a number of contracts set to expire, as many of these guys won't be back imo,

Noke, Schultz, Blunden, Budaj, Armstrong, St-Denis, Weber, DeSantis, Geoffrion, Mayer, Stejskal.

So if most of those guys aren't back next season (none are under contract for next season to date) that would free up a number of spots, so how they get filled should be interesting. We should have Kristo, Dietz and Thrower as pros, and then they will have to decide on what to do with Nygren, Archambault, Pribyl, and Walsh, plus I could see Bennett turning pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post
Is Walsh looking contract worthy? Looking forward to your weekend report!
For me I would need to see what the docs think of his hip injury, I'd be very leary of signing him since he has never had a full healthy season since being drafted. If the docs think the hip will not be a concern going forward then I'd consider signing him but it would also depend on how close we get to the 50 limit and how the organizational roster shapes up. I wouldn't lose any sleep if he's not signed, but he's got a solid frame and good hands, so it they can get him on an AHL contract that might be worth a shot even if he has to go to the ECHL.

Quote:
I don't assume, I watch them play. Archambault is talented for sure, but it also could be the case where he peaked at a young age (since clearly he has to be talented in order to be picked 1st overall in the Q draft). He's another one that I wouldn't lose any sleep over if we don't sign but I would think he will be signed since it looks like we could have the room for him inside the 50 limit and he can be a fun player to watch.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Whats going on with Hudon and chicoutimi they have been blue cold (pun semi intended) and hudon as been very very unproductive... whats going on.. i know chicoutimi sucked without him.. but... he is playing...

Old
02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
That

Charles Hudon is playing centre tonight. The Hudon-Sylvestre-Asselin line has been broken up. He's centring Carl Tremblay and Guillaume Asselin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
Whats going on with Hudon and chicoutimi they have been blue cold (pun semi intended) and hudon as been very very unproductive... whats going on.. i know chicoutimi sucked without him.. but... he is playing...
He's been playing poorly. The last time he has been held pointless for this long in the regular season was the first five games of his rookie season. He's had some chances, but hasn't been able to bury them. Still, he has to create more offensively, he's playing selfish and holding on to the puck for far too long. The good news is in the third period of last game and so far in this game, he's been distributing the puck better.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Was watching some of the blades game last night in between the Habs. Dietz had a nice assist on the 1st goal. Thrower should have had a nice assist as he feed Burns who flubbed the puck in what would have been a tap in goal but on the other hand he made another mistake in his own end while trying to get the puck out of his end. I've seen him to do this several times, as he seems to make high risk decisions with the puck in front of his goalie that will need to be addressed when he becomes a pro.

Should be an interesting off-season since we have a number of contracts set to expire, as many of these guys won't be back imo,

Noke, Schultz, Blunden, Budaj, Armstrong, St-Denis, Weber, DeSantis, Geoffrion, Mayer, Stejskal.

So if most of those guys aren't back next season (none are under contract for next season to date) that would free up a number of spots, so how they get filled should be interesting. We should have Kristo, Dietz and Thrower as pros, and then they will have to decide on what to do with Nygren, Archambault, Pribyl, and Walsh, plus I could see Bennett turning pro.
Do you see Montreal not offering Geoffrion a contract? If I was guessing, I'd say Geoffrion has a couple more years before they give up on him and if he isn't good enough for the NHL then I would think they would offer him an AHL contract. 4 generations, 2 of them Hall-of-Famers has to have some value for a traditional team like us.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Do you see Montreal not offering Geoffrion a contract? If I was guessing, I'd say Geoffrion has a couple more years before they give up on him and if he isn't good enough for the NHL then I would think they would offer him an AHL contract. 4 generations, 2 of them Hall-of-Famers has to have some value for a traditional team like us.
Before they offer him a contract they'll have to make sure he can play next year. that will be the #1 factor.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Charles Hudon is playing centre tonight. The Hudon-Sylvestre-Asselin line has been broken up. He's centring Carl Tremblay and Guillaume Asselin.

Must mean Simon Tremblay, Carl plays defense.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:29 PM
That

Hudon almost snapped his pointless streak. Slap shot from the top of the zone, and rebound gets put in the net. Gets waved off.

Extremely similar to play that ended Pribyl's point streak this morning. Pribyl had a 8 point in 4 games during his streak. He scored a goal in all four of those games and a pair of 3 point performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Must mean Simon Tremblay, Carl plays defense.
Correct. I heard Carl when they announced the goal over the PA so I wrote that down, completely forgetting that there's two Tremblays on the Sagueneens.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Before they offer him a contract they'll have to make sure he can play next year. that will be the #1 factor.
This year he was making $62,500 in the AHL. I hope the Habs can and will afford to keep paying him that until he's either healthy enough to return or officially retires. I'm not sure what the rules are, so if I'm in the wrong, so be it.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:36 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
I find he is a talented QMJHL player, but not sure if he is explosive enough at his size to sign and play AHL. We may be better off signing an NCAA FA or Euro FA instead.
He's pretty explosive. The problem with him is not his size, his strenght, his skating nor his talent, it's his drive and his mindset.

Old
02-14-2013, 12:39 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
What's wrong with Chicoutimi is that Hudon is not scoring. They had a huge drop offensively after the departure of Pageau. Asselin is as inconsistent as one gets, so when Hudon is not scoring, they have trouble scoring. They are a rebuilding team, it's normal.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:02 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
He's pretty explosive. The problem with him is not his size, his strenght, his skating nor his talent, it's his drive and his mindset.
The little I saw of him he seemed like a great skater.

I feel like I've asked this a million times but has anyone seen him regularly enough to see if he's been more consistent in his effort levels?

Closed Thread