HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Kreider/JT Miller Discussion Thread (2/16: Kreider recalled to NHL)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
Callahan scored at a PPG pace in the OHL, had a 50 goal season. He then turned pro and scored more than .5 goals per game, once again at a PPG until he forced his way onto the Rangers roster at 21 years old. The guy is just reaching his prime and in his last two seasons (along with the pressure of taking the captaincy) he has potted almost 30 and 60 (prorated). I thoroughly believe he has another gear too as he is only 27 years old. I'm not sure what anybody's argument about him not being skilled like a top 6 winger is? I would say virtually any team in the league would kill for a guy like Callahan on their second line.
No one is saying Callahan is a 3rd line player, rather I'm simply stating that he has the skillset of a 3rd line player.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
No one is saying Callahan is a 3rd line player, rather I'm simply stating that he has the skillset of a 3rd line player.
Was your cable disconnected the last 7 years or just the MSG channel?

Old
02-12-2013, 11:14 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

I thoiught JT hit the wall a little bit tonight. wouldn't be surprised to see Boyle back in Thursday.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I thoiught JT hit the wall a little bit tonight. wouldn't be surprised to see Boyle back in Thursday.
Wasn't thrilled with that line today. That said, please G-d no. A 19 year old player plays a quiet game and you send this team back to the stone age? Why are people so trigger happy to get Boyle on the 3rd line? He's not a 3rd line center on a contending team.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Wasn't thrilled with that line today. That said, please G-d no. A 19 year old player plays a quiet game and you send this team back to the stone age? Why are people so trigger happy to get Boyle on the 3rd line? He's not a 3rd line center on a contending team.
Boyle could have brought more tonight. We can't expect a 19 year old to come up and stick, realistically. He's shown he can compete at this level, but I'm still not sure he's ready to do it consistently. It's great that he got his cup of coffee, and made an impression, but if he isn't impacting the game, you can't just force him into it.

He's got what, 2 more games? we'll see at the end of that.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:57 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Boyle could have brought more tonight. We can't expect a 19 year old to come up and stick, realistically. He's shown he can compete at this level, but I'm still not sure he's ready to do it consistently. It's great that he got his cup of coffee, and made an impression, but if he isn't impacting the game, you can't just force him into it.

He's got what, 2 more games? we'll see at the end of that.
Boyle could have brought more tonight. We might lose the game against the Isles if not for Miller. MDZ stuck and he was a defenseman. We're not asking Miller to be a 1st line forward. Why can't he stick as a 3rd line forward? A viable scoring 3rd line IMO is more important than a good defensive forward. I know we fell apart today but we play a defensive system. We also have one of the best Ds in the league and the best goalie. More defense is overkill. It would be nice to balance the team out.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Does Dustin Brown, then? The only team Cally is a true 3rd liner on is the U.S. National team.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
Does Dustin Brown, then? The only team Cally is a true 3rd liner on is the U.S. National team.
Brown has great hands in tight as well. imo.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Boyle could have brought more tonight. We might lose the game against the Isles if not for Miller. MDZ stuck and he was a defenseman. We're not asking Miller to be a 1st line forward. Why can't he stick as a 3rd line forward? A viable scoring 3rd line IMO is more important than a good defensive forward. I know we fell apart today but we play a defensive system. We also have one of the best Ds in the league and the best goalie. More defense is overkill. It would be nice to balance the team out.
That's just it, we know he can be, and more than likely will be, but do you think he's there yet? If we continue with the Miller we saw the first 2 games, PERFECT, great, we're set. But the consistency of a 19 year old is suspect, and I'd rather have a defensive stalwart with sporadic offense like Boyle than a struggling teenager with great offensive potential, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

That third line, as is, isn't good enough defensively to not be creating scoring chances. I'm not saying send him down right now, or guarantee him a spot. let him finish his 5 games, and then make the decision.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:17 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
That's just it, we know he can be, and more than likely will be, but do you think he's there yet? If we continue with the Miller we saw the first 2 games, PERFECT, great, we're set. But the consistency of a 19 year old is suspect, and I'd rather have a defensive stalwart with sporadic offense like Boyle than a struggling teenager with great offensive potential, ESPECIALLY in the playoffs.

That third line, as is, isn't good enough defensively to not be creating scoring chances. I'm not saying send him down right now, or guarantee him a spot. let him finish his 5 games, and then make the decision.
Miller is not the greatest offensive force but he has an offensive skillset (including skating) that Boyle couldn't dream of. Most cup winning teams have 3rd liners that are more than just shot blocking machines.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Miller is not the greatest offensive force but he has an offensive skillset (including skating) that Boyle couldn't dream of. Most cup winning teams have 3rd liners that are more than just shot blocking machines.
We know Boyle can turn up the offense, but he's struggled. At his worse, he's still an asset in the defensive end.

Miller has that skill set we need, but I'm not sure he's ready for a NHL gig full time.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:25 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
We know Boyle can turn up the offense, but he's struggled. At his worse, he's still an asset in the defensive end.

Miller has that skill set we need, but I'm not sure he's ready for a NHL gig full time.
Boyle can turn on the offense based on what?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Boyle can turn on the offense based on what?
His play in the past. We don't make it out of the 1st round without his goals last year.

I know he's been an offensive negative so far this year, but we know that potential for offense is there, especially when he has an edge to his game.

He's ideal on the 4th line. But Halpern has that role locked down. If Miller doesn't show us that he can be effective on an offensive 3rd line, consistently, I don't see how you have any other choice.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
His play in the past. We don't make it out of the 1st round without his goals last year.

I know he's been an offensive negative so far this year, but we know that potential for offense is there, especially when he has an edge to his game.

He's ideal on the 4th line. But Halpern has that role locked down. If Miller doesn't show us that he can be effective on an offensive 3rd line, consistently, I don't see how you have any other choice.
He had a hot 9 games or so. You might as well have had me offensively there the rest of the year.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
He had a hot 9 games or so. You might as well have had me offensively there the rest of the year.
Here's how i look at it: If Boyle's offense isn't there, his defense is.

If Miller's offense isn't there.....oh. He's not that complete of a player yet.

It's a gamble.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:44 AM
Lundsanity30

There is no reason to fix what isnt broken yet. 3 wins in a row, keep with whats working.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:48 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

After getting some more observation in the past two games, I don't think JT is the right center for Kreids right now

Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcman View Post
After getting some more observation in the past two games, I don't think JT is the right center for Kreids right now
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Hags-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Miller-Callahan
Asham/Boyle-Halpern-Powe

Old
02-13-2013, 05:58 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

It's a gamble.
Yeah but outside of a handful of games Boyle's offense is NEVER there. Miller has been a two way player his entire playing career (if you can call it that). He won't be Boyle in the defensive zone yet but I like the chances of seeing decent defense from him than decent offense from Boyle.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:59 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Kreider-Richards-Gaborik
Hags-Stepan-Nash
Pyatt-Miller-Callahan
Asham/Boyle-Halpern-Powe
That's actually a lineup I don't hate. Though Richards hasn't been playing great either.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:13 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I agree Miller had a tough night. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

02-13-2013, 07:32 AM
mandiblesofdoom

Interesting to watch Kreider last night - he got involved on the forecheck at times (effectively), but other times he drifted. Seems like he's learning as he goes.

Old
02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:

It's a gamble.
Miller is not really an offensive player. He's not projected to be one. He's two-way.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I agree Miller had a tough night. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do.
Tough team for the kid to match up against, but it could also be that adrenaline wearing off after making such a big splash right away. Guess we'll see how it goes.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Vitto79

bottom line is the team won 3 in a row when this line was put together.....yea Miller was blah last night and i'd like to see Kreider score more but for now they have to keep it all the same and crush the Isles on Thursday

Once they shake things up a little as its bound to happen I would like to see

Gaborik, Richards, Calalhan
Hagelin, Stepan, Nash
Pyatt, Miller, Kreider
Powe, Boyle/Halpern, Asham

Closed Thread