HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-13-2013, 12:49 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
RNH had at least 2 good chances, the backhand from cutting in front of the net where Daley got his arm on him the same way that Eager got his when he got called for holding. Then there was the play where he was at the side of the net and Lehtonen made the stop on him. I really don't know how anyone let alone anyone that was "keying in on him all game" could've missed that. Then there were his passes to Eberle where he narrowly missed scoring and at least 1 where he sprung Hall. Not his best game, but he was creating offense.
If he came out of this game with 3 assists on those missed opportunities by teammates, would we even be having this conversation?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
RNH had at least 2 good chances, the backhand from cutting in front of the net where Daley got his arm on him the same way that Eager got his when he got called for holding. Then there was the play where he was at the side of the net and Lehtonen made the stop on him. I really don't know how anyone let alone anyone that was "keying in on him all game" could've missed that. Then there were his passes to Eberle where he narrowly missed scoring and at least 1 where he sprung Hall. Not his best game, but he was creating offense.
I was busy pouring a drink and must've missed one of the chances. I maintain though that nothing coming off Nuges stick right now is a legitimate chance.

I think he passed off on the empty net the other night not thinking he has a chance of hitting an open barn door.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
How about a year long avatar bet?

Show me one team who was last in the league in ES goal scoring who made the playoffs in the last twenty years.
Stanley Cup winning Kings finished in 29th
The 2009-10 conference finals Montreal team finished in 30th

There's two.

Not doing an avatar bet, I said they were in the playoff race, they might make it, might not, doesn't mean we shut down RNH because that's ridiculous when you have a chance.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:00 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
06-07 Blue Jackets finished in 30th

There's three.

Not doing an avatar bet, I said they were in the playoff race, they might make it, might not, doesn't mean we shut down RNH because that's ridiculous when you have a chance.
Boom.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Boom.
Made a mistake on the Jackets though. I keep thinking it's been ages since they've last made it, but 08-09 was the year, not 06-07

Old
02-13-2013, 01:06 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

There's two.

Touche.

There's no chance.

Lets try to be realistic.

If RNH has the same issues as Hall/Horcoff/Hemsky etc, then his long term health should be first and foremost, not some pie in the sky unicorn herd stampeding down Whyte Ave chance of making the playoffs.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:17 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Touche.

There's no chance.

Lets try to be realistic.

If RNH has the same issues as Hall/Horcoff/Hemsky etc, then his long term health should be first and foremost, not some pie in the sky unicorn herd stampeding down Whyte Ave chance of making the playoffs.
I'm being realistic, it's a dog fight right now and there is an opportunity to make it, so might as well try. If Nuge really needs shoulder surgery, he can do it in April or May, his long term health is something we need to monitor but we let him play in the World Juniors, so it can't be significantly bad, hopefully something an offseason fix could handle.

Hall was fixed in the offseason, and he looks good again, no problems there, same for Hemsky (for now of course). Horcoff has had injury problems all over the place, his shoulder seems fine right now, can't control a broken knuckle.

I don't mind shutting him down if we start to spiral out, say 7 or more points out of a spot by deadline day or 5 or more points out afterwards. At the moment though, we need him, even if we need to shelter his minutes more often than we currently do.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:18 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:

There's two.

Cant edit so I have to quote you again.

Technically Montreal didnt finish last, as they scored 11 4vs4, which takes them out of last place.

LA wasnt last either.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
So I just got home and saw the fluke goals.

It's stupid how Dallas gets all this incredible luck against the Oilers. You never see this against any other team. The planets align to help the Stars beat the Oilers no matter how much the opposite should be.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:11 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
- still too cute
- the forecheck was amazing the first two periods and they literally got nothing out of it. unacceptable. Hall scored on a rush 1-on-3 with some help from Robidas stick.
- squandered PP
- the melt downs defensively on the non-luck goals were pretty horrid = not a full 60 minutes.
- RNH had some horrendous passes. two blind passes. please, do no resurrect the corpse of Raffi Torres blind passes on this team.
- first shift of the 3rd the top line got dominated and looked flat footed. led to the second flukey goal.

that said:
Dubnyk and Lehtonen alike were amazing on a lot of the scoring chances.

the effort was there. im just still not impressed with how complicated these kids try to make the machinery of hockey. they think theyre "cheating" work by doing fancy garbage but it just ends up being a lemon.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:41 AM
DJcheesyB

turnovers.

DJcheesyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:07 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

RNH is not getting the time and space that he was last season...he was rookie of the year runnerup, teams catch on

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:24 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Sorry about putting this here, it's more of a "WOW" moment than anything else. But I've NEVER seen anyone catch up to Hall going full speed down the left wing before, and Datsyuk just never gave up.

That's what it takes to dominate puck possession and win games like Detroit's been doing for years. RNH does it on a regular basis. I wish we had more forwards with the hockey IQ and commitment to two-way play to do this. Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov - all these guys could take a lesson from Datsyuk on the merits of working hard and being tenacious in order to overcome whatever deficits you have in the size department.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:39 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post

Sorry about putting this here, it's more of a "WOW" moment than anything else. But I've NEVER seen anyone catch up to Hall going full speed down the left wing before, and Datsyuk just never gave up.

That's what it takes to dominate puck possession and win games like Detroit's been doing for years. RNH does it on a regular basis. I wish we had more forwards with the hockey IQ and commitment to two-way play to do this. Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov - all these guys could take a lesson from Datsyuk on the merits of working hard and being tenacious in order to overcome whatever deficits you have in the size department.
These things come with experience.

When we beat the Wings in 2006, there was a lot of flak on Datsyuk for being soft and disappearing in the playoffs (yet again) leading to Detroit being upset in the post season.

Last edited by Soundwave: 02-13-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:40 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Ina 48 game season if they don't get it figured out we are lost. Also we are getting NOTHING from lines 3 and 4 and haven't all year.
I don't think this is just about the 3rd/4th although they have not put up enough points.

Remove the PP points/PP time on ice and compare the players on our roster (in points per 60 mins played):
Hall 2.1
Gagner 2.1
Yakupov 1.6
Lander 1.5
Eberle 1.1
Hemsky 1.1
Nuge 0.9
Smyth 0.8
PRV 0.6
Petrell 0.4
Horc 0
Eager 0
Belanger 0
Harts 0

Bottom line is that we are crap except on the PP... Well, Hall and Gagner are ok even though I think that our top scorers (whoever it might be) should be above 2.5. Yakupov gets a pass because he's a rookie. Lander is ok but at the same time the sample size is small.

Last edited by LaGu: 02-13-2013 at 07:22 AM.
LaGu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:48 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 2735
It is all Smyths and Whitney fault

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:59 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
These things come with experience.

When we beat the Wings in 2006, there was a lot of flak on Datsyuk for being soft and disappearing in the playoffs (yet again) leading to Detroit being upset in the post season.
He was injured...

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:40 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfaninvan View Post
Remember when Mick Mgeough screwed us out of a goal on the faceoff violation? Then some time later Stefan missed the open net and Hemsky scored to tie it?

These things have a funny way of working out even, so enjoy getting scored on by black magic, Dallas.
They were 2 separate games

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:40 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
He was injured...
so was Yzerman playin on one leg u didnt see him dogging it

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:50 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Sure 1 month avatar bet as long as he plays 35+ games. I'm not losing the bet in the event that he might get hurt not all that long from now.
sounds like a plan

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:55 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The game was over likely when it was 2-1. Tbh it looked like we could've played 3 more periods without scoring a goal. you disagree?
it looks like we could go the rest of the season without scoring more than 2 goals in regulation... obviously i'm being a little sarcastic here, but it certainly does *feel* that way doesn't it? very strange that this is our problem (offense).... very strange, and very worrying

i've said all along that as long as the kids have offense, you can teach them defence.... but what happens when all our young guns are more akin to young pop-guns? nothing good is what

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:09 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 463
When tied or playing with the lead we looked good, players were making smart plays with and without the puck.

But soon as we go down we just forget the plan and go back to what doesn't work. Lets get the puck behind the opposition goal line and skate back with it and make a fancy back pass. Guess what it might work, heck it might work twice, but not the third time in 30 seconds.

Focus was lost once Nystrom got a goal and Kreuger needs to find a way to keep these kids focused.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
rosemount289

You are right............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
When tied or playing with the lead we looked good, players were making smart plays with and without the puck.

But soon as we go down we just forget the plan and go back to what doesn't work. Lets get the puck behind the opposition goal line and skate back with it and make a fancy back pass. Guess what it might work, heck it might work twice, but not the third time in 30 seconds.

Focus was lost once Nystrom got a goal and Kreuger needs to find a way to keep these kids focused.
You are right......the Oilers lack the "patience game mentally" ....as soon as they fall behind they forget their defences and go gung oh to tie the game.

rosemount289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:26 AM
pox

Send a message via MSN to pox
cbus karma gets us in the ass

pox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
It is all Smyths and Whitney fault
They really wouldn't have helped at all, so not really sure the point.

The team played well yesterday and deserved a better result, that said they have to keep it together all game, or this happens.

I'm sure some malcontents are blaming Dubnyk, he was very solid. You could watch hockey for another 10 years and not see another goal like the Stars' first one last night.

The first line will break through, they did a Ton of things right yesterday.

I don't know what to say really, it was disappoiting, but they looked SO much better that it's hard to just crap all over them.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote