HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Dmitri Jaskin - Signed to 3 year deal by Blues

Old
02-08-2013, 05:57 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

vCash: 500
If the Blues don't start scoring some goals, then I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Jaskin or Rattie either one on their 10 game cameo to find someone who can score...ha ha.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 08:32 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

It's only 6 for this year

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
stlweir

Jaskins 2nd hat trick and an assist + 6 hits. What a game!

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
If the Blues don't start scoring some goals, then I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Jaskin or Rattie either one on their 10 game cameo to find someone who can score...ha ha.
Rattie is simply too light and too weak to play forward in The NHL right now, with any kind of effectiveness. He'd get beat up and smothered on virtually every shift. Why take him out of his groove at Portland just to witness that, and possibly see him get a setback-type injury?

Jaskin would be better suited. But I don't see what good it would do to watch him for 6 games. He's a long way from being ready to oust any of The Blues' Top 9 right now. If The Blues were to have multiple serious injuries on the wing, I could see slight possibility. But, even then, I doubt that it would really happen.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 03:29 AM
BleedinBlueSince1972
More Cowbell!!!

vCash: 1010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Rattie is simply too light and too weak to play forward in The NHL right now, with any kind of effectiveness. He'd get beat up and smothered on virtually every shift. Why take him out of his groove at Portland just to witness that, and possibly see him get a setback-type injury?

Jaskin would be better suited. But I don't see what good it would do to watch him for 6 games. He's a long way from being ready to oust any of The Blues' Top 9 right now. If The Blues were to have multiple serious injuries on the wing, I could see slight possibility. But, even then, I doubt that it would really happen.
Agreed, no way Rattie or Jaskin sees NHL action with Blues this season, Blues already have rookies Frank and Schwartz on the roster.

BleedinBlueSince1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 06:09 AM
Alklha

I have a question about the contract situation of Jaškin. When his season in Moncton finishes he will be 20, does that mean if we were to sign him and put him in Peoria for the rest of the season then we burn a year of his ELC?

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 08:35 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I have a question about the contract situation of Jaškin. When his season in Moncton finishes he will be 20, does that mean if we were to sign him and put him in Peoria for the rest of the season then we burn a year of his ELC?
I could be totally wrong but I though you could sign a prospect to an AHL tryout contract for the rest of the year that doesnt burn up a year. Like I said though, not sure if thats right.

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:44 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:

Not at all. Obvisouly you havn't watched him much , he's a little closer than you think

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 01:25 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
You mention age 20 so I'm going to assume you're referring to the NHL-CHL under-20 agreement. That doesn't apply here for 2 reasons. First off, that rule only applies to players drafted from the CHL. Even though Jaskin is playing in the CHL now, he was drafted from the Czech Republic so the rule never applied to him. He's been eligible to play in the AHL since he was 18. Secondly, even for a player the under 20 rule did apply to, there would be no problem with him signing an ATO (amateur try-out) to finish this season in Peoria. He would not have to sign an ELC and have the first year of his contract count if he played a few games in Peoria yet this season. It would burn the first year of his ELC (once he signs one) if he were to play for the Blues this season but that's not going to happen.

Long story short, if Jaskin's season with Moncton ends early enough, I would expect the Blues to try to get him to Peoria for the rest of the season and it wouldn't burn a year of his ELC to do that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen because Moncton will likely last pretty long into the QMJHL playoffs (and who knows, might even make it to the Memorial Cup) while Peoria is looking like they'll miss the playoffs entirely so I wouldn't be surprised if by the time Jaskin is done with Moncton, Peoria's season is already over or just ending.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Not at all. Obvisouly you havn't watched him much , he's a little closer than you think
I watched a fair amount of his games last season but haven't seen any of his games this season (other than his scoring clips), nor have I seen his physical condition since last season when he weighed about 170 (e.g. haven't seen him using his strength much on plays-only seen him making assist passes or popping the puck into the net on highlights).

Is he a LOT stronger now? What is his current weight? Is he stronger on the puck? Does he use his additional strength to avoid getting knocked off, and to win more puck battles? Is he getting back better on defence? I imagine that he's quite a bit better than last season due to his added strength, bulk, body maturity and playing experience. The question is, "how much better?". I'm glad to hear that he is nearer to ready than I had expected.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:44 PM
stlweir

Bummer, Jaskins game postponed tonight. From what I have seen he will come to camp looking to earn a job. If there are injuries he there is a chance he could be on the blues roster at the end of the year. Granted a long shot but this guy is the real deal.

Old
02-11-2013, 08:42 AM
stlweir

Finally found a way to stop Jaskin. A blizzard.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
Quote:
I'd have to agree with Robb K here.

I think Jaskin is good and on his way, but no way he could be a solid contributor right now.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
You mention age 20 so I'm going to assume you're referring to the NHL-CHL under-20 agreement. That doesn't apply here for 2 reasons. First off, that rule only applies to players drafted from the CHL. Even though Jaskin is playing in the CHL now, he was drafted from the Czech Republic so the rule never applied to him. He's been eligible to play in the AHL since he was 18. Secondly, even for a player the under 20 rule did apply to, there would be no problem with him signing an ATO (amateur try-out) to finish this season in Peoria. He would not have to sign an ELC and have the first year of his contract count if he played a few games in Peoria yet this season. It would burn the first year of his ELC (once he signs one) if he were to play for the Blues this season but that's not going to happen.

Long story short, if Jaskin's season with Moncton ends early enough, I would expect the Blues to try to get him to Peoria for the rest of the season and it wouldn't burn a year of his ELC to do that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't happen because Moncton will likely last pretty long into the QMJHL playoffs (and who knows, might even make it to the Memorial Cup) while Peoria is looking like they'll miss the playoffs entirely so I wouldn't be surprised if by the time Jaskin is done with Moncton, Peoria's season is already over or just ending.
Isn't that similar to the way the Blues handled Backes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Finally found a way to stop Jaskin. A blizzard.
Nah, its just gonna slow him down.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 03:55 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
I watched a fair amount of his games last season but haven't seen any of his games this season (other than his scoring clips), nor have I seen his physical condition since last season when he weighed about 170 (e.g. haven't seen him using his strength much on plays-only seen him making assist passes or popping the puck into the net on highlights).

Is he a LOT stronger now? What is his current weight? Is he stronger on the puck? Does he use his additional strength to avoid getting knocked off, and to win more puck battles? Is he getting back better on defence? I imagine that he's quite a bit better than last season due to his added strength, bulk, body maturity and playing experience. The question is, "how much better?". I'm glad to hear that he is nearer to ready than I had expected.
Comparing Jaskin from last year to this year is like comparin two different players. Last season Jaskin was dealing with an aggravating knee injury which hurt his production and development. On top of that , he wasn't playing many minutes in a pro league against men. Dmitri is listed at 6'3" 205lbs but he's likely in the 208-214 range. He has a tremendous dedication to hockey and is usually the first to hit the ice or gym and the last to leave. He's an incredibly hard worker on and off the ice. From what I'm told he's added a significant amount of muscle since arriving in Moncton , hence improving his game on the ice. He's definitely much stronger on the puck. He shields the puck extremely well and is soo physically strong that it makes it very difficult for defenders to knock him off the puck. In fact it's nearly impossible and rarely happens. Secondly , skating used to be a knock but he's done alot of work since overcoming his injury and his foot speed has improved by a mile. His skating is very noticibly better this season.Jaskin isn't a perimeter player whatsoever, he rather go through his opponents. Opponents are often crushed my heavy checks and he dosn't shy away from going into the corners and usually comes out with the puck. He has a nose for the net and drives well. Great shot with amazing accuracy. Gets shots off quick which usually fools goaltenders or dosn't give them the time to react. Sometimes used on the point for the powerplay and likes to use the one-timer. Although a greast shooter who scores nightly , Dmitri is an elite playmaker with good vision. He thinks shoot first for the most part but makes clean crisp passes when neccesary. Positional player who always knows where to be and creates havoc in front of the net since he's soo hard to be moved. Defence hasn't been an issue since arriving , however it has steadily improved since the start of the year. Used to be the first one back to help the defence before the new addition of Philip Danault but he's not a liability. Last year was a tough season for him , career wise, but he made plans to come to a great CHL organization and it's paying off. He is back on track and is steadily improving his game and was the work ethic/skill to make the jump next season. I suspect he'll push for an NHL roster spot as early as next season but will likely have a good season in Peoria and play in the NHL in 2014-2015. Intriguing prospect with a high ceiling. I've mentioned before I see him as a very effective second liner in the NHL. I've seen alot of players come and go. Some dominating at this level and not even recording a single point at the pro level. Dmitri Jaskin is one of those special players that only come around every once and awhile. He's the best player in the QMJHL without a doubt. Yanick Jean(Victoriaville coach) and Patrick Roy have both stated this as well. IMO, he's also a good possibility for CHL MVP. St.Louis got a steal when they selected him in the 2nd round. You guys should be estatic , this guy is a stud.

Last edited by WildcatMapleLeafs28: 02-11-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 05:21 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Comparing Jaskin from last year to this year is like comparin two different players. Last season Jaskin was dealing with an aggravating knee injury which hurt his production and development. On top of that , he wasn't playing many minutes in a pro league against men. Dmitri is listed at 6'3" 205lbs but he's likely in the 208-214 range. He has a tremendous dedication to hockey and is usually the first to hit the ice or gym and the last to leave. He's an incredibly hard worker on and off the ice. From what I'm told he's added a significant amount of muscle since arriving in Moncton , hence improving his game on the ice. He's definitely much stronger on the puck. He shields the puck extremely well and is soo physically strong that it makes it very difficult for defenders to knock him off the puck. In fact it's nearly impossible and rarely happens. Secondly , skating used to be a knock but he's done alot of work since overcoming his injury and his foot speed has improved by a mile. His skating is very noticibly better this season.Jaskin isn't a perimeter player whatsoever, he rather go through his opponents. Opponents are often crushed my heavy checks and he dosn't shy away from going into the corners and usually comes out with the puck. He has a nose for the net and drives well. Great shot with amazing accuracy. Gets shots off quick which usually fools goaltenders or dosn't give them the time to react. Sometimes used on the point for the powerplay and likes to use the one-timer. Although a greast shooter who scores nightly , Dmitri is an elite playmaker with good vision. He thinks shoot first for the most part but makes clean crisp passes when neccesary. Positional player who always knows where to be and creates havoc in front of the net since he's soo hard to be moved. Defence hasn't been an issue since arriving , however it has steadily improved since the start of the year. Used to be the first one back to help the defence before the new addition of Philip Danault but he's not a liability. Last year was a tough season for him , career wise, but he made plans to come to a great CHL organization and it's paying off. He is back on track and is steadily improving his game and was the work ethic/skill to make the jump next season. I suspect he'll push for an NHL roster spot as early as next season but will likely have a good season in Peoria and play in the NHL in 2014-2015. Intriguing prospect with a high ceiling. I've mentioned before I see him as a very effective second liner in the NHL. I've seen alot of players come and go. Some dominating at this level and not even recording a single point at the pro level. Dmitri Jaskin is one of those special players that only come around every once and awhile. He's the best player in the QMJHL without a doubt. Yanick Jean(Victoriaville coach) and Patrick Roy have both stated this as well. IMO, he's also a good possibility for CHL MVP. St.Louis got a steal when they selected him in the 2nd round. You guys should be estatic , this guy is a stud.
so long.... lol. Im sure it's a good read but i just got done reading stuff for my exam so i'm in no mood to begin reading this lol... will save it for later or tomorrow #lazyproblems #hashtags on hfboards??

Old
02-11-2013, 05:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Welcome to the forum Dmitrij!

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 05:52 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 1598
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
so long.... lol. Im sure it's a good read but i just got done reading stuff for my exam so i'm in no mood to begin reading this lol... will save it for later or tomorrow #lazyproblems #hashtags on hfboards??
Haha, I read it all. I'm an English major, there's no such thing as too much reading

To sum up Wildcats' points, he basically said Jaskin is a very hard worker, is probably heavier than he is listed, skates right through opponents, has a great shot, but also crashes the net, and it's been stated multiple times that he's best player in the Q, and one of the best in the entire CHL.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:34 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Oh well lol. I figure as much info as possible is a good thing I think I covered the questions

Old
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
jessejames

I really appreciate your info on Jaskin. Thanks a lot, Wildcat.

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 11:04 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
Haha, I read it all. I'm an English major, there's no such thing as too much reading

To sum up Wildcats' points, he basically said Jaskin is a very hard worker, is probably heavier than he is listed, skates right through opponents, has a great shot, but also crashes the net, and it's been stated multiple times that he's best player in the Q, and one of the best in the entire CHL.
my low reading speed and I thank you very much lol

Edit: Happy to admit that i just read it all and i'm now even more pumped to see what he can do next year with us and hopefully he can push for a third line spot next year. schwartz-berglund-jaskin? or jaskin-berglund-d'ags/stewart? or possibly Jaskin-Backes-Oshie with a perron-berglund-tarasenko second line? obviously this is if he keeps up that work ethic and can come in right away next year and be impressive and translate his game... i guess only time will tell

Last edited by STLBLUES44: 02-11-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old
02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Robb_K

My description that was quoted above regarding lack of size and strength, was about Rattie-NOT Jaskin. I admitted that, based on his play this season, Jaskin is closer than Rattie, and might be able to play for Peoria after The QMJHL playoffs are over. Too bad if Peoria fails to make The AHL playoffs. I think Jaskin will have a chance to Make The Blues' roster in September. But, there's also a good chance he'll start 2013-14 in Peoria. I'm guessing that Rattie will also start in Peoria.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:28 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
My description that was quoted above regarding lack of size and strength, was about Rattie-NOT Jaskin. I admitted that, based on his play this season, Jaskin is closer than Rattie, and might be able to play for Peoria after The QMJHL playoffs are over. Too bad if Peoria fails to make The AHL playoffs. I think Jaskin will have a chance to Make The Blues' roster in September. But, there's also a good chance he'll start 2013-14 in Peoria. I'm guessing that Rattie will also start in Peoria.
If schwartz gets weeded out do you think jaskin-schwartz-Rattie may tear up the AHL next year? Then again i have a feeling schwartz makes the jump to the NHL for good next year but i'm just thinking for the sake of peoria and developing our young talent that would be a ridiculous line to roll out with edmundson and maybe hakanpaa at the points?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
If schwartz gets weeded out do you think jaskin-schwartz-Rattie may tear up the AHL next year? Then again i have a feeling schwartz makes the jump to the NHL for good next year but i'm just thinking for the sake of peoria and developing our young talent that would be a ridiculous line to roll out with edmundson and maybe hakanpaa at the points?
I don't see Schwartz playing in Peoria at all, next season, and I don't think Jaskin will be down there all season.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:37 AM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
my low reading speed and I thank you very much lol

Edit: Happy to admit that i just read it all and i'm now even more pumped to see what he can do next year with us and hopefully he can push for a third line spot next year. schwartz-berglund-jaskin? or jaskin-berglund-d'ags/stewart? or possibly Jaskin-Backes-Oshie with a perron-berglund-tarasenko second line? obviously this is if he keeps up that work ethic and can come in right away next year and be impressive and translate his game... i guess only time will tell
Okay, I love the idea of a Jaskin-Backes-Oshie line and a Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko line. The only problem is where we put Schwartz because I feel like a line with McD and Schwartz would be too small, even if paired with Stewart or Steen.

Maybe we should just scrap the fourth line idea and just have a number one line and 3 second lines. I mean it works in NHL 12, that's real life, right?

Bluesnatic27 is offline   Reply With Quote