HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:26 AM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Red Wings select Alexander Yakushev, LW to play alongside Evgenii Malkin.

Can someone please PM the next GM? Thank you!

Old
02-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Dreakmur

Hawkey Town listpicks Jack Crawford, D

Old
02-13-2013, 06:40 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I get that what Mark's doing doesn't make much sense, but why take a cheapshot at Sedin like that? Not cool man, not cool.
Nothing wrong with what mark is attempting.

And if Sedin didn't want to be made fun of he should have taken some acting lessons before trying to go all in for the Oscar.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:54 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

As long as a team has two lines capable of checking duty, especially at center ice, it doesn't matter if it is the odd formation of 1st and 4th lines or the standard 3rd/4th or 2nd/3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
... if Sedin didn't want to be made fun of he should have taken some acting lessons before trying to go all in for the Oscar.
It was the second most shameful moment ever I've had as a lifelong Canucks fan.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Crawford is another one of the defensemen I've got in the tier with Hatcher and Neilson. Strong defenseman who played very well for a long time and had a brief peak where he was great. It would be easy to overrate Crawford by looking just at his AST placements, but you have to factor in that he competed and peaked during the single worst period for defensemen play in NHL history.

That being said, strong pick here. He was one of the top 3-4 defensemen left on my board. My post on Crawford's AST placements from the last draft.

Neilson's AST record:

Jim Neilson:
4, 6, 6, 9, 14, 14

Old
02-13-2013, 07:08 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
During his prime, defenseman Jean-Guy Talbot was an excellent outlet passer who provided physical play in his own zone. His career lasted 1,056 games with five different clubs but he was best known for winning an amazing seven Stanley Cups with the Montreal Canadiens.

Born in Cap de la Madeleine, Quebec, Talbot was a junior star with Trois-Rivieres and Shawinigan before playing senior with the Quebec Aces. After scoring 34 points for the club in 1954-55, the talented rearguard was placed on the QHL's first all-star team. He gained a regular job on the Montreal Canadiens' blue line in 1955-56, ultimately replacing the great Butch Bouchard. It was excellent timing, as Talbot enjoyed Stanley Cup success in each of his first five NHL seasons.

Talbot was an integral part of the Canadiens' transition game until 1966-67. Learning from Doug Harvey and Tom Johnson's influence, his consistent play at both ends of the ice was crucial when the Habs had to replace the likes of Rocket Richard, Harvey, and Bernie Geoffrion in the early 1960s. After scoring 47 points in 1961-62, Talbot was voted on to the NHL first all-star team. He also played a notably important role on Stanley Cup teams in 1965 and 1966.
http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007...uy-talbot.html

The Edmonton Mercurys are proud to select D Jean-Guy Talbot. next pmed.

Last edited by Hawkman: 02-13-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 07:21 AM
jkrx

265 BubbaBoot - Boston Mules - Bob Pulford, C/LW
266 Hobnobs - Seattle Eskimos - Flash Hollett, D
267 Reds4Life - Detroit Red Wings - Alexander Yakushev, LW
268 Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks - Jack Crawford, D
269 Murphy & gmm - Edmonton Mercurys - Jean-Guy Talbot, D
270. papershoes & SchultzSquared - Kenora Thistles - OTC until 4.08 EST

Old
02-13-2013, 08:11 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
Red Wings select Alexander Yakushev, LW to play alongside Evgenii Malkin.

Can someone please PM the next GM? Thank you!
The Yak was one of the gunners I was stewing over....

Old
02-13-2013, 08:12 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2007...uy-talbot.html

The Edmonton Mercurys are proud to select D Jean-Guy Talbot. next pmed.
And Talbot was the defenseman I really liked.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Crawford is another one of the defensemen I've got in the tier with Hatcher and Neilson. Strong defenseman who played very well for a long time and had a brief peak where he was great. It would be easy to overrate Crawford by looking just at his AST placements, but you have to factor in that he competed and peaked during the single worst period for defensemen play in NHL history.

That being said, strong pick here. He was one of the top 3-4 defensemen left on my board. My post on Crawford's AST placements from the last draft.

Neilson's AST record:

Jim Neilson:
4, 6, 6, 9, 14, 14
I agree that Crawford's record needs to be looked at in the context of era, and appreciate your attempt at converting his record to modern terms. One thing I would like to bring up is that Crawford's 1941-42 season should really be considered higher...

In the voting for Left D AS: Crawford receives 4 votes for 1st team and 3 for Alternate. The undrafted player who was awarded the 2nd AS Team spot received 2 votes for 1st team and 6 for Alternate. In a voting system that gives more weight to 1st team votes (like the modern system) Crawford would have beaten out the undrafted and been awarded the 2nd Team spot. Furthermore, this is backed up by a player's poll from the same year in which Crawford was voted 2nd Team AS.

EDIT: Crawford also appears to have gotten more votes than the 2nd Team Right D winner, so that year could be considered a 3rd place finish for him (before the era adjustment).

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 02-13-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:32 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I'm passing on a couple or three gunners and a defenseman I really like to select the great 2-way, 4 time Stanley Cup winner and Hall of Fame LW/CTR Bob Pulford.

Bob Pulford is a very good pick - one of the true elite third liners of the draft. Probably not as good defensively as Gainey or Carboneau, but better offensively.

Check out this two-page article on Bob Pulford from the Jan 15, 1966 Ottawa Sun that is loaded with quotes from peers and opposing coaches praising him and his ability to "wreck havoc" on the other team. After reading that article, I understand why the veterans committee inducted him into the Hall of Fame in 1991.

Here's another article from The April 14, 1964 Montreal Gazette about the playoff series between the Wings and Maple Leafs. It mentions that the Wings have the best PP in the league, but the Leafs have the best PK, and their best PKer is Bob Pulford. It also mentions how Pulford won Game 1 in OT by beating Gordie Howe to a puck and staying a stride ahead of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Third lines are beginning to be built! There are elite Bottom-6 role players in this draft, though at least one team has decided to have Henrik Sedin as its third line center.

That's it Henrik, take a seat. You haven't the ability to handle the rough stuff. You are top-6 forward or bench, or maybe if a team has two backchecking centers on the 2nd/3rd lines you could see some minutes on the back line of an all-time great squad.
As others have said, it's not certain yet how Mark plans on having his team turn out, but I think it would be foolish to draft Ted Kennedy and not given him a defensive role of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
I agree that Crawford's record needs to be looked at in the context of era, and appreciate your attempt at converting his record to modern terms. One thing I would like to bring up is that Crawford's 1941-42 season should really be considered higher...

In the voting for Left D AS: Crawford receives 4 votes for 1st team and 3 for Alternate. The undrafted player who was awarded the 2nd AS Team spot received 2 votes for 1st team and 6 for Alternate. In a voting system that gives more weight to 1st team votes (like the modern system) Crawford would have beaten out the undrafted and been awarded the 2nd Team spot. Furthermore, this is backed up by a player's poll from the same year in which Crawford was voted 2nd Team AS.

EDIT: Crawford also appears to have gotten more votes than the 2nd Team Right D winner, so that year could be considered a 3rd place finish for him (before the era adjustment).
I thought you were probably trading up to get Crawford, since he was the best defensive D on my board and we tend to think alike. IMO, he's the best pre-1950 defenseman not in the Hall of Fame and definitely capable of being a #3 in this.

Sturm, I agree that Crawford came by his record in a weak era (for defensemen and overall) - and that's probably why nobody clamored for him to get into the Hall.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Third line doesn't necessarily equal defensive line. Why does it have to? Especially in an "all star" format like this. 120 years of talent, but the third line has to be defensive players? It's not like teams make their third line the defensive line for fun, they do it because they're running out of scoring talent. Here, that doesn't occur, the fourth line could be a defensive line and the top 3 could be scoring lines and no one should look ****-eyed at that...hell, if someone doesn't want a defensive/checking line, don't have one...

Old
02-13-2013, 02:51 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

The Blues currently, for example, have three scoring lines that are also solid defensively.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
The Blues currently, for example, have three scoring lines that are also solid defensively.
That's the key right there. If your scoring lines are solid defensively, then you don't need a dedicated checking line. I, for one, am not planning on having Phil Esposito take many defensive zone draws if I can help it, even if he's linemates with a two-way guy like Alfredsson - it's just a waste of what Espo is best at.

That's why GMs make what seem like mini-reaches for top two-way centers - if your top center can take tougher defensive assignments, it frees you up to draft more scorers later.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Third line doesn't necessarily equal defensive line. Why does it have to? Especially in an "all star" format like this. 120 years of talent, but the third line has to be defensive players? It's not like teams make their third line the defensive line for fun, they do it because they're running out of scoring talent. Here, that doesn't occur, the fourth line could be a defensive line and the top 3 could be scoring lines and no one should look ****-eyed at that...hell, if someone doesn't want a defensive/checking line, don't have one...
I have always believed in building two-way units on the 3rd line. I like having a few forwards I can throw out there when I'm sitting on a lead or need to win an important defensive zone draw, but I've always believed that hockey games are won by scoring more goals than your opponent, emphasis on scoring goals. Checkers tend to be more effective when they can hold the puck for a while on offense, as well.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:11 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Looks like SS & papershoes have been skipped. I'll PM MB

Old
02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
265 BubbaBoot - Boston Mules - Bob Pulford, C/LW
266 Hobnobs - Seattle Eskimos - Flash Hollett, D
267 Reds4Life - Detroit Red Wings - Alexander Yakushev, LW
268 Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks - Jack Crawford, D
269 Murphy & gmm - Edmonton Mercurys - Jean-Guy Talbot, D
270. papershoes & SchultzSquared - Kenora Thistles - OTC until 4.08 EST
According to this, Kenora's clock is up. I will PM the next GM.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
monster_bertuzzi

The Millionares select tenacious checker Craig Ramsay.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:17 PM
SchultzSquared

So sorry... busy day at work... Kenora picks Babe Pratt D

Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
I have always believed in building two-way units on the 3rd line. I like having a few forwards I can throw out there when I'm sitting on a lead or need to win an important defensive zone draw, but I've always believed that hockey games are won by scoring more goals than your opponent, emphasis on scoring goals. Checkers tend to be more effective when they can hold the puck for a while on offense, as well.
I don't disagree. And you'd never guess by what I said before, but when I coach, I'm more of a defensive guy (unless the team just isn't built to be defensive, then I adapt my game plan). I tell my players that "the only reason I want to win one to nothing is because the league won't let me win zero to negative one..."

As the Blues fan stated, the Blues have nothing but two-way lines basically. In San Jose right now, Joe Thornton gets their toughest defensive matchups, look at the team that Nalyd Psycho and I are building, Frank Nighbor is our top line center...if the best defensive forward in history isn't shutting down the other team's best, then I don't have a clue as to who is...

I'm just saying, it's ok to be adaptable if you have the understanding to make an adaptation. There's a lot of leeway in this thing, if you're thinking, you can use it...says the rookie.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

I have a really hard time placing Pratt. On the one hand, his AST voting record:

Babe Pratt:
1, 3, 5, 8, 9

...looks really impressive at this point, but on the other hand, these results came in the five year timespan from the 1941-42 to the 1945-46 season, and Pratt was almost immediately out of the league once all of the teams got back to full strength in spite of the fact that he was just beginning his 30's.

Until the war years rolled around, Pratt had basically been a journeyman, and suddenly he exploded during the war and won a Hart trophy. We know that he played a fairly undisciplined style of hockey, and I wonder if maybe his game was better suited to the more wide-open war years than to the league in its normal state.

Babe Pratt and Flash Hollett have basically the same career path: almost nothing before the war, big stars during the war, nothing after. Hollet was three years older and at least has the alibi that he was maybe past his athletic peak as the war was ending, but Pratt doesn't really have that excuse. I think both guys were basically what baseball people would call AAAA players. Guys with a lot of talent who are dominant at a lower level, but can't really translate that success in the show. If not for the war, I wonder if we would know who they are.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:17 PM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

With Pick 272 of the 2013 ATD the Baltimore Blades are proud to select Left Winger Dean Prentice:

Prentice will play the glue guy role on my 2nd line.

Next has been pmed.

02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have a really hard time placing Pratt. On the one hand, his AST voting record:

Babe Pratt:
1, 3, 5, 8, 9

...looks really impressive at this point, but on the other hand, these results came in the five year timespan from the 1941-42 to the 1945-46 season, and Pratt was almost immediately out of the league once all of the teams got back to full strength in spite of the fact that he was just beginning his 30's.

Until the war years rolled around, Pratt had basically been a journeyman, and suddenly he exploded during the war and won a Hart trophy. We know that he played a fairly undisciplined style of hockey, and I wonder if maybe his game was better suited to the more wide-open war years than to the league in its normal state.

Babe Pratt and Flash Hollett have basically the same career path: almost nothing before the war, big stars during the war, nothing after. Hollet was three years older and at least has the alibi that he was maybe past his athletic peak as the war was ending, but Pratt doesn't really have that excuse. I think both guys were basically what baseball people would call AAAA players. Guys with a lot of talent who are dominant at a lower level, but can't really translate that success in the show. If not for the war, I wonder if we would know who they are.
Pratt's drinking, gambling, and general playboy lifestyle probably contributed to his quick downfall. (He's a guy who should be a lock for your all-party team).

Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
I have a really hard time placing Pratt. On the one hand, his AST voting record: Babe Pratt: 1, 3, 5, 8, 9 ...looks really impressive at this point, but on the other hand, these results came in the five year timespan from the 1941-42 to the 1945-46 season, and Pratt was almost immediately out of the league once all of the teams got back to full strength in spite of the fact that he was just beginning his 30's. Until the war years rolled around, Pratt had basically been a journeyman, and suddenly he exploded during the war and won a Hart trophy. We know that he played a fairly undisciplined style of hockey, and I wonder if maybe his game was better suited to the more wide-open war years than to the league in its normal state. Babe Pratt and Flash Hollett have basically the same career path: almost nothing before the war, big stars during the war, nothing after. Hollet was three years older and at least has the alibi that he was maybe past his athletic peak as the war was ending, but Pratt doesn't really have that excuse. I think both guys were basically what baseball people would call AAAA players. Guys with a lot of talent who are dominant at a lower level, but can't really translate that success in the show. If not for the war, I wonder if we would know who they are.
Agreed. I had Pratt last year and was considering him, but I looked at his era, Talbot's 7 Stanley Cup's in a tougher era, and reuniting him with Coach Toe Blake and the Rocket and it was a no brainer. I was planning on taking Bob Pulford and playing him with Keon, but then I was also planning on taking player Toe Blake at 105 to play with the Rocket and he also went 1 pick before me at 104.

Last edited by Hawkman: 02-13-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
I'm passing on a couple or three gunners and a defenseman I really like to select the great 2-way, 4 time Stanley Cup winner and Hall of Fame LW/CTR Bob Pulford.

Interested to see who has the best 3rd line shutdown line between Bubba's Pulford-Provost combo and Darth Yoda's Gainey-Carbonneau combo. Will likely depend on who the 3rd member of each is.

Closed Thread