HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

46th Obsequious Banter Thread - Kimbi Daniels and his frequent FLYER miles

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Does he want to do a specific branch of physics, or does he just know he likes physics generally? Does he want to go to a school in the mid-Atlantic specifically, or is it ok so long as it's not Canada?

If he wants a specialized sub-field of phsyics then thats a whole other question. If he just wants broad spectrum physics education applicable to industry or progress towards a graduate degree, I would say an applied/general physics degree is the way to go. If he wants to make respectable money with out getting at least a master's degree then tell him to be an engineer, lol.

Off the top of my head the best astronomy programs are Arizona State, the Ohio State University and I think UPenn has a strong program as well (this is aside from the usual suspects like Ivy schools, UC Berkley, Stanford, MIT etc.). I personally wouldn't go to Villanova for Physics for a couple reasons. They tuition there is 42k a year. You're paying tuition to attend a top tier school. And while Nova might be that for certain majors, it's a pretty run-of-the-mill physics prorgam. You're not getting any bang for your buck. I would either look for a big name school with a much larger physics department to get more bang for my buck, or go to a cheaper school that has a very comparable physics department (this is what I did).

I'm currently an Applied Physics major at Richard Stockton College out near Atlantic City. If he is looking for a general physics degree in a more rural setting that's still near a city, I can vouch for Stockton as a pretty good school (doesn't sound like this is his preferred setting though, if Nova is on his list). The tuition here is about a third of what Nova costs (~13.5k/year) and the curriculum is almost identical, though the school's name carries less prestige. The Physics department is smaller here, so there is some additional coordinating to do as far as scheduling classes (since there aren't enough Phd's to teach every class every semester), but there's also a lot of personalized teaching and attention. My current advisor got his doctorate from Princeton in low energy fusion and he's helping me specialize in nuclear physics beyond the usual curriculum. There are a few other similarly qualified Docs here, so the faculty is sort of a hidden gem.

Good luck to your friend.
Maybe Rutgers or Penn State should be more affordable/worthwhile to attend than Nova; then again, for some reason, my advanced statistical mechanics professor, who has collaborators from across the world, would say Villanova was more undergraduate-centric (for physics/astronomy) than most big-name schools with large physics departments, since faculty at most big-name, doctorate-granting schools put research before teaching.

But he seems to favor mid-Atlantic schools and, while his credentials are seemingly good enough for Nova, they are nowhere near UPenn-caliber. Now Richard Stockton should be his safety.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 AM
kicksave27

Penn State, he'll fit right in, huge chinese student population. Their professors are certainly not undergrad centric, research first, good luck tracking them down when a grad student is attempting to teach a Sr level class and is horrible.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Maybe Rutgers or Penn State should be more affordable/worthwhile to attend than Nova; then again, for some reason, my advanced statistical mechanics professor, who has collaborators from across the world, would say Villanova was more undergraduate-centric (for physics/astronomy) than most big-name schools with large physics departments, since faculty at most big-name, doctorate-granting schools put research before teaching.

But he seems to favor mid-Atlantic schools and, while his credentials are seemingly good enough for Nova, they are nowhere near UPenn-caliber. Now Richard Stockton should be his safety.
I hear really good things about the physics department at Rutgers and they have a good reputation and graduate program. A lot of the Physics majors here take classes there to get a dual bachelor's in engineering and really enjoy it. The same professor I mentioned before does his research at Rutgers.

I think for a student that isn't local, "a good safety school" is probably an apt description for what Stockton is.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Have any of you guys had problems with songs randomly getting mashed together on itunes?

It's just started happening recenly and was only doing 2 songs but now..

https://soundcloud.com/billmount/01-...dont-hold-back

Old
02-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
iTunes is horrible.

02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
SolidSnakeUS

iTunes needs to die in a fire. Whoever still primarily uses it is an idiot, even if you use an iPod/iPhone/iPad. I just use Winamp and it does wonders.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I use the unfairly maligned and underrated Zune software. iTunes had a terrible habit of ignoring the one, single folder it was supposed to draw content from. It would occasionally decide to sweep my whole drive for any form of sound file and dump it into my library, including every tiny sound effect from video games. I got tired of sorting through that every month or so.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Krishna

I miss my zune

Old
02-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

We need to name the next thread. Who wore 47?

Old
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Krishna

Willie Huber
Brad Jones
Kirby Law
Shaun Sabol
Eric Wellwood

Old
02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
A PM was sent to you without seeing this post.

I have a little twist in honor of a former player who did not wear 47.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we don't know, how about something for Agent 47?

Will Huber, Brad Jones, Kirby Law, Shawn Sabol, Sbisa and Wellwood.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I think MSE has something here, six degrees of separation style.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I like MSE's suggestion; I'll let him decide whether or not to use it.

02-13-2013, 09:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Title of article:

Quote:
What a bad loser! The moment high school hockey goalie deliberately scores own goal, flips off his coach and skates off in a huff
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-position.html

Old
02-14-2013, 07:30 AM
kicksave27

I've had similar problems with a coach before who simply hated me for no reason, even walked out on practice once after an altercation and basically quit until the team convinced me not to. But I could never do what that kid did, it hurts your team, not to mention I hated letting a goal in, be it practice, a charity game, little kids. That's just wrong

Old
02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Prongo
Beer

Had the day off yesterday..... So I went snowboarding. While it was absolutely a blast, I seem to have hit my head hard. I felt like a jack-in-the-box, I sprung forward faster than I have ever done before. It literally felt like it was out of a spoof movie the way I fell. I don't actually remember hitting the ground when I fell either. I just remember rolling over and my whole body hurt, including my damn teeth. Now today I wake up with a stiff neck and a slight headache. Also not feeling that great. Probably should go to the doctors later to see if I have the "flu".

Also I will never make fun of snowboarders and skiers again when they fall. I will have a bruise on my ass the size of Wisconsin from the constant pounding it took.

Old
02-14-2013, 11:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

47 is now open -- http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9#post59705559

Closed Thread