HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

House of Cards- Netflix Exclusive

Old
02-10-2013, 02:44 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
I love the show. I also really like how they handle texts within the show. It looks very sharp.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 03:58 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Honestly, I just finished episode 5 and I think it could be considered Emmy material. There's enough difference to the original and it's better than what I've seen of Homeland.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
Honestly, I just finished episode 5 and I think it could be considered Emmy material. There's enough difference to the original and it's better than what I've seen of Homeland.
I think Homeland is a bit better but this is right up there with it, like neck-and-neck.

The ending sequence of episode 11 was one of the most intense things I can ever remember watching on television.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBryanRoleModel View Post
How much of Homeland have you seen?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 10:49 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Respect Your Edler View Post
I love the show. I also really like how they handle texts within the show. It looks very sharp.
Agree very much, it's different but a little thing that gives the show a great feel. The acting in this show is just mezmerizing, and not just Spacey, but even down to bit players. The direction also is top notch.

If this show doesn't at the very least get an Emmy nom, it would be a travesty. I don't think it will win, but I think it's got a West Wing vibe to how well it's written and put together.

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 05:27 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Anyone else get a very JR Ewing vibe from Frank?

Old
02-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Elever
Hth

I just saw The Usual Suspects. Can't believe that this is the same guy as in this drama. Also he apparently used to look like the lead singer of The Shins.

His wife is really hard to read. Not sure if career oriented and a bit manipulative but good person doing charity overall or just plain evil.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

5 episodes in and Francis looks like a Harvard graduate whereas everyone else dropped out a grade 3.

I've been told everything is going to stop going his way, hope that happens soon.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Johnny LaRue

Spoiler alert!

This is what I have been pondering:

Spoil:
I think the neatest aspect of Spacey's character is the fact that Peter Russo's death is gnawing at him so much. Does Frank Underwood have a conscience? Is Underwood's concern over murdering Russo just a one or two episode guilt trip, or will it become a bigger concern for him in season 2?

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Elever
Hth

Really? I didn't notice that at all. I think he was faking it, didn't gnaw at him at all.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:41 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Spoiler alert!

This is what I have been pondering:

Spoil:
I think the neatest aspect of Spacey's character is the fact that Peter Russo's death is gnawing at him so much. Does Frank Underwood have a conscience? Is Underwood's concern over murdering Russo just a one or two episode guilt trip, or will it become a bigger concern for him in season 2?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Really? I didn't notice that at all. I think he was faking it, didn't gnaw at him at all.
if you watch the british series, it's clear that the answer is yes, and it will become a significant issue in later seasons.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
All couple of lines stuck with me. The one in particular was...

Spoil:
when Frank is doing one of his asides. He talks about not being able to stop thinking about Russo. He even starts rationalizing his actions by stating that Russo would have killed himself soon anyway. He only seems irked now, but it could go somewhere.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:34 AM
silverfish
KEVIN!

http://adage.com/article/media/netfl...secret/239773/

Quote:
Netflix's new exclusive political drama series "House of Cards," which stars Kevin Spacey, is the streaming video's service most-viewed series in all its market right now in terms of audience and hours of viewing, according to Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. But if you want to know exactly how many people have tuned in to the watch season one, Netflix isn't going to help you out. Nor is it divulging that information to show creators or actors.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:21 AM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
At least it's getting a ton of hours viewed

Old
02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
Alklha

I really enjoyed the series. I do think they made a mistake in releasing the entire series in the one go though. It somewhat removes the "social" aspect of the show and makes it difficult to discuss with people who are going to be at totally different points.

I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to releasing 2 episodes on a Friday.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Well they should know, I mean clearly the only possible place to catch this show is on Netflix

Old
02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Baarle*
Lähme looduses

Finished up the season. I had watched 5 minutes of #11 and had to turn it off, when I turned it back on it said it had been watched so I watched 5 minutes of #12 before I realized my mistake. By that time I already discovered Russo was dead

Any word when season 2 will be released?

I may have missed something, but why did Zoe's character turn against Francis? She seemed to be protecting him/herself but is now investigating everything?

Baarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 06:54 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

link

Quote:
In any business, the ability to see into the future is the killer app, and Netflix may be getting close with “House of Cards.” The series, directed by David Fincher, starring Kevin Spacey and based on a popular British series, is already the most streamed piece of content in the United States and 40 other countries, according to Netflix. The spooky part about that? Executives at the company knew it would be a hit before anyone shouted “action.”
Netflix, which has 27 million subscribers in the nation and 33 million worldwide, ran the numbers. It already knew that a healthy share had streamed the work of Mr. Fincher, the director of “The Social Network,” from beginning to end. And films featuring Mr. Spacey had always done well, as had the British version of “House of Cards.” With those three circles of interest, Netflix was able to find a Venn diagram intersection that suggested that buying the series would be a very good bet on original programming.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 06:44 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Love this show.

Any word on season two?

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Love this show.

Any word on season two?
Supposedly filming now.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Finished season 1 a while back, forgot about this thread, just noticed someone revived it.

It was a good show, really enjoyed it but I can't see how anyone could honestly compare it to other shows like Homeland. Show it certainly better than most, but not spectacular by any means.

Old
07-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Finished season 1, and feel I have to share some thoughts, other than it being amazing.

The relationship of Francis and Claire is fascinating, and the actors portay it perfectly. Both are so similar. They want themselves to be these cold, logical, calculating individuals who do not give in to emotional or social conventions if it takes away any options for them to get ahead. The perfect example being Francis sleeping with Zoey, and it being communicated openly right away with his wife, and tolerated, as he sees it fit to help his cause. And she trusts his opinion on that to more than tolerate it, at least as a front. Then again, we are getting these subtle hints that - while committed to their very own rules - Claire's feelings about this course of action do not follow pure logic. We're getting a remarkably similar development with Francis as Zoey briefly attempts to redefine the constraints of their relationship. He's rational enough to understand the logic in everything, but the mere understanding of how things happen does not spare him of subtle emotions sidetracking him in his work, which he instantly again rationalizes to be more than that by interlacing it into his ploys.

Looking ahead, however, I estimate that we'll see how the two of them will face quite different paths in their professions they so strive to drive ahead, even at the expense of the other's. Francis is on his way to becoming VP. Claire is on her way to a trial that could see her name burnt in her line of business forever. They are operating similarly with a heavy focus on pragmatism, and as time passes, we're seeing that the difference isn't in their work, but in their line of work. While Francis' moves pave his way through the imperfections, weaknesses and corruptedness of about every person he shakes hands with in politics, Claire has shaken hands with a hopelessly romantic idealist in Gillian, who isn't (yet) willing to lend herself to the idea that it takes Claire's politics/pragmatism to make something tangible out of the mere ideals. Which could very well be her downfall - but I'd venture a guess that we have already been given a hint to how that might just be prevented:

Spoil:
(Not actually spoiling, just speculation on my behalf...) As both she and Francis in their rare moments of self-acknowledged moments of emotional reflection admitted that they regret the decision to never have had kids, she ends up seeing the doctor, for what I understood to be plans for an artificial pregnancy of her's. It does match what both want, emotionally, but like a few things in their life, they'd probably not allow it themselves to have it, if it wasn't for some significant upside to their careers. It should go a long way for her to be able to go to Court against Gillian, only to be able to reveal her pregnancy when all seems lost, making the notion that she - likely after being portayed as the evil aged businesswoman who had never had kids - had actually slurred those remarks at Gillian for being pregnant incredibly unrealistic, all of a sudden. Both will have a child, which will be a personal fulfillment they may or may not acknowledge, and it will have saved her face in trial (or before it comes to that), thus saving her husband. Actually, I could also see it never quite coming to her having the kid and the risks materializing and her losing the baby - which would still have the effect on the jury to join the fate-struck Claire.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Dado

vCash:
I think Gillian dies, basically by Zoe's choice, as she chooses access to a VP over exposing a potential VP.

Just a guess...

Old
07-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Spoil:
I don't actually expect Claire to carry the baby to term, her character is designed to be too cold to actually have children, IMO.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:57 AM
SJSharksfan39

vCash: 338
Not sure if I should have started a new thread, but I just watched the first episode of House of Cards tonight. So far it's interesting and I can see why he was nominated. Looking forward to the rest, and to have something to compare "Orange is the New Black" to. This is the second Netflix series I have watched.

SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote