HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?

View Poll Results: Would you be angry if Tavares asked out after this year?
Yes - he signed the deal he knew what he was getting into 54 51.92%
No - multiple reasons 50 48.08%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-12-2013, 04:55 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

vCash: 500
Oh, I'd be mad, but at JT? Not at all.

I'd save it for the two man who handicapped this franchise - Charles Wang and Mike Milbury. I can't throw vitriol at a rookie GM who, in the spirit of certain rumours about Catherine the Great, "bit off more than he could chew," the roulette of rookie coaches or players brought in to sweep hockey's version of the Augean Stables. I can reserve some anger for DiPietro, since whether by virtue or flaw in his attitude, he has basically become a stone in the throat of out goaltending depth. They can't promote someone who needs seasoning into a backup role, nor can they buy him out, since he and Wang are too close for any proper business acumen to take over and start the inevitably necessary removal of DP from the roster.

Milbury ruined this team from the mid-90's forward, Wang successfully kept the team on Long Island before becoming both strange and financially neglectful, resulting in both people and players being thrust into roles they haven't the experience to fill: from Tavares all the way up to Snow. No one from the ice would have their inexperience exposed under a sane, non-absentee landlord of an owner.

I can't hate on Tavares being frustrated, neither can I be mad at Snow when he either gives grey missives to the press or says nothing at all. Capuano, Weight, and Thompson are all short-handed for what is needed to fix this situation, so from the coaches to the players to management, I give a bit of a pass.

Wang's the one not spending for proper management, coaches, or free agents, and I doubt the staff would be as ineffective under an owner willing to spend.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
lacunacoil777

Maybe a better question would be "Would if be better for Islander fans if Tavares requested a trade?". THe answer is yes. Taveres stays till he is a free agent and the Isles come in last place the entire time with the lowest payroll in hockey every year. OR taveres requests a trade, and the whole media world talk about how Wang is a joke, his friendship with Dipietro is a joke, and how Bettman should force him to sell to the highest bidder even if its at a loss for what he payed. Besides for Taveres the only people who sign with the Islanders are guys that cant get a good contract from a Real NHL team.

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
It Was 4 to 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
he wanted to be this teams yzerman, yzerman didn't get the red wings anywhere for a long time and he is expecting the same while hoping for better
this

It Was 4 to 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacunacoil777 View Post
Maybe a better question would be "Would if be better for Islander fans if Tavares requested a trade?". THe answer is yes. Taveres stays till he is a free agent and the Isles come in last place the entire time with the lowest payroll in hockey every year. OR taveres requests a trade, and the whole media world talk about how Wang is a joke, his friendship with Dipietro is a joke, and how Bettman should force him to sell to the highest bidder even if its at a loss for what he payed. Besides for Taveres the only people who sign with the Islanders are guys that cant get a good contract from a Real NHL team.
Bettman won't get involved. But I agree with the rest. John should make a cryptic statement about not sensing the commitment from ownership. The Toronto press would have a field day at Wang's expense and he would be forced into answering for his neglect.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
I hate this place...really guys?
EXACTLY. How about enough of this self serving pity crap. Watch the games, don't watch the games but the threads on these boards make Islanders fans look like a bunch of crying babies. Anyone who really thought this team was going to make the playoffs this year..., well I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if you are interested!! JT will be the captain of the NY Islanders next year and Hamonic will be an assistant captain. They both are high character players and I would be shocked if they ran away from this.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 05:42 PM
lacunacoil777

But why should TAVARES stay though? Is it Tavares fault that Wang values his friendship with Dipietro more then wins and losses? Is it Tavares fault that Wang is the only owner in Hockey who runs his organization like he is the GM? WHen other players get to play for teams that have a PRO GM? Is it Taveres fault that Wang killed the fanbase? Isles will avg 12k fans a game for a team that comes in dead last place ever year, when fans look at the product and understand they will come in last place before the season even starts, and yet they still average 12k fans a game. A smart owner would of cut dipietro, hired a GM, made one stanly cup run the last 8 years, and would be able charge %30 more for tickets, and average 14k a game. Wang values friendship and enjoys playing GM. Thats his right as a rich man. But why should Tavares have TO pay the price?

lacunacoil777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I'd be surprised, but not upset.

The Tim Thomas deal has really soured me. It was a move just to play the "Cap Game." If that doesn't send a signal to the team* about what the prorities are, then I don't know what will. If I were on the Isles, I'd be very upset about trading just to take on salary.

*I have a feeling Snow is admitting this season is going to be a washout; an aberration. He's writing it off. So, a move like this in a written off season doesn't (or wouldn't or didn't) make him bat an eyelash.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
EXACTLY. How about enough of this self serving pity crap. Watch the games, don't watch the games but the threads on these boards make Islanders fans look like a bunch of crying babies. Anyone who really thought this team was going to make the playoffs this year..., well I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale if you are interested!! JT will be the captain of the NY Islanders next year and Hamonic will be an assistant captain. They both are high character players and I would be shocked if they ran away from this.
It isn't about making the playoffs. It is about trying to improve. Wang has no desire to improve the club or even to aid the development of the kids. This is where he and Ballard are of the exact same cut of cloth. Save money, screw the players, and screw the fans. That's what has been happening here, and no doubt the players, particularly the good ones who would be worshiped by other fan bases and ownerships, are going to get worn down by the blatant neglect going on with this organization. Why should the players care when the owner doesn't, and sticks it in their face no less? They are like drowning men begging for a life preserver and Charlie just stands on the shore waving at them back with a big grin on his face saying, "Now don't get into a fight before you drown! It will ruin my view of the waterline."

Old
02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Cant believe its even this close. I usually despise athletes who ask out after signing a long term deal, but in this case JT would be 1000% correct in asking out. Charles Wang has ****ed this organization up big time. I feel for JT as an athlete and as a person. he deserves to play for a winner. And a team trading for Tim Thomas is not a team looking to improve itself no matter what that ******* Snow says. Roster flexibility my ass. FCW.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It isn't about making the playoffs. It is about trying to improve. Wang has no desire to improve the club or even to aid the development of the kids. This is where he and Ballard are of the exact same cut of cloth. Save money, screw the players, and screw the fans. That's what has been happening here, and no doubt the players, particularly the good ones who would be worshiped by other fan bases and ownerships, are going to get worn down by the blatant neglect going on with this organization. Why should the players care when the owner doesn't, and sticks it in their face no less? They are like drowning men begging for a life preserver and Charlie just stands on the shore waving at them back with a big grin on his face saying, "Now don't get into a fight before you drown! It will ruin my view of the waterline."
EXACTLY. How many bottom 5 ****ing finishes do you people want? At least TRY to improve. Isles have done nothing to improve. they have made themselves worse. Boyes instead of PA? Simple. Cheapskate didnt want to pay going rate forPA and instead signed a reclamation project for ! million dollars. Stop drinking the ****ing kool aid. FCW. He does not give a **** about winning. Its been petty simple to figure out for the past 7 or so years. Rebuild in Isles country stands for cheapest on ice product as possible.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

i'd be angry as hell. I mean I'd understand it from his POV, but I'd still be angry. I'd be angry at him for not sticking it out, but I'd be even madder at the organization for letting things get this bad.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 07:56 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i'd be angry as hell. I mean I'd understand it from his POV, but I'd still be angry. I'd be angry at him for not sticking it out, but I'd be even madder at the organization for letting things get this bad.
Thats the crux of the problem. This organization has been **** on by Wang and Snow. Mostly wang because he could care less about what happens on the ice. I hate that man more than words can ever express. He has ruined this once proud franchise. He is just like Milstein and Co. He can go **** himself.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
19NYSports91

Can't believe this is even a thread

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:38 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Can't believe this is even a thread
agreed...ridiculous, over reaction...shut this thread down now!

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Tavaresfan91

The guy bleeds Blue and Orange so this would never happen

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 10:02 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
Do we really need another "woe is Tavares" thread?
i'm sick of this woe is Tavares crap..yzerman was on a bad team for years...jt is not perfect ...I love the kid..but he needs to stop turning the puck over and be a little more simple with the puck at even strength.. he is not a finished product yet..

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 11:09 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
i'm sick of this woe is Tavares crap..yzerman was on a bad team for years...jt is not perfect ...I love the kid..but he needs to stop turning the puck over and be a little more simple with the puck at even strength.. he is not a finished product yet..
Do you know why he is turning the puck over more and more? It is because he is getting desperate and trying to play 4 roles on the ice because the people playing them aren't doing a good job.

It was really obvious last game, he tried too hard, that lead to some big mistakes, and there he is on the bench beating himself up over it from what little I've come to know about him.

And if you want him to become a finished product, how about some better tools around him to develop with, huh?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:42 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Seriously.

You dropped the soap, don't cry, just take it like a champ. You should be THRILLED with the attention you're getting!

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:47 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Bettman won't get involved. But I agree with the rest. John should make a cryptic statement about not sensing the commitment from ownership. The Toronto press would have a field day at Wang's expense and he would be forced into answering for his neglect.
Rick Nash. He waited. His career was wasted.

I think John will wait and waste one helluva career due to his having ten thousand times the character our slumlord owner could wish he even had. But he likely will want to play for a team intent on winning someday.

By then Rick might be just the right GM willing to accommodate him.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:13 AM
lorwood

If JT were to be that frustrated at seasons end he should not ask to opt out, at least not at first, he should ask, and he is entitled to the truth, whats the plan?

He is the future of the franchise and it is his career, so there is nothing wrong with asking for a sit down with the owner at seasons end and asking about the future. If he does not like what he hears or if after another season or two he feels lied to then, IMO he has every right to ask out or if by contract exercise his right to leave.

But he did sign a contract so he has to do things in the correct order.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Do you know why he is turning the puck over more and more? It is because he is getting desperate and trying to play 4 roles on the ice because the people playing them aren't doing a good job.

It was really obvious last game, he tried too hard, that lead to some big mistakes, and there he is on the bench beating himself up over it from what little I've come to know about him.

And if you want him to become a finished product, how about some better tools around him to develop with, huh?
i agree..that where he has to stop being stubborn and dump the puck in and go dig

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Seriously.

You dropped the soap, don't cry, just take it like a champ. You should be THRILLED with the attention you're getting!
Yes SERIOUSLY. This self of entitlement like hockey, or life in general owes you anything is ridiculous. You go out and earn what is yours. It's what separates the strong and truly great from the rest(and I think Tavares has the skill, desire, and fortitude to make the Islanders great again regardless of Snow or Wang). There have been far greater players then Tavares that have played for far worse owners then Wang and have succeeded. There have also been great players that have never won a championship in their respective sports, that is life. Just because you are a great player and work hard nothing is a guarantee. I was brought up with the beliefs that what you earn in life is far more rewarding then what is given to you.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
xECK29x

Worst fanbase ever, the fact that someone posted this same thing on the main boards make us all look even worse. If you don't like this team or it's direction or whatever then move on.

Stop buying tickets, stop watching them, stop following them, stop tweeting. Stop giving them money.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Worst fanbase ever, the fact that someone posted this same thing on the main boards make us all look even worse. If you don't like this team or it's direction or whatever then move on.

Stop buying tickets, stop watching them, stop following them, stop tweeting. Stop giving them money.
I agree, I was embarrassed to be an Islanders fan Monday night when I was at the game. There were so many empty seats it's crazy and most of the fans KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HOCKEY. Fans were more excited to catch a $5 T-Shirt than cheering their team.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
IceAce
RAISED IN A BARN

vCash: 4500
Quote:
While I won't begrudge anyone's right to complain about the fiasco surrounding this team, these threads of self-loathing have become tiresome and rather quite sad.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote