HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
that game was a load of brown bananas

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

vCash: 500
Time to sit Yakupov. He just doesn't put any effort into his defensive play, and he seems to scared to get the puck.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Crobby

Now that i've had a chance to cool off.... i really liked our effort last night. Tough game to lose the way we did.

I cant help but feel we just need to absolutely fill the net vs a team with some lucky/garbage/deflection/dump-in-bounce-off-stantion type goals to get us rolling again on offence. I thought Hall's goal might spark us. Our PP has looked pretty good but we need some greasy goals which you usualy get from your bottom 6...we're just not getting it.

Our entire top 6 has good skill but its all finesse. They arent getting these goals either unless its on the PP where we outman them. These guys are great on the PP when you have time and space, but 5on5 we need someone to be creating that space and going to the tough areas and driving the net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's stupid how Dallas gets all this incredible luck against the Oilers. You never see this against any other team. The planets align to help the Stars beat the Oilers no matter how much the opposite should be.

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Time to sit Yakupov. He just doesn't put any effort into his defensive play, and he seems to scared to get the puck.
I'd bench him in a game first.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
That's right, he was something like 30 games between goals. He's easily the best C on this team right now despite not having the 3 or 4 goals he probably should.
RNH is easily the best centre on the team right now?
I don't see how anyone could say RNH has outplayed Gagner so far this year. let alone adding the word easily.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

THATS HOW YOU LOSE A GAME!

I'm more satisfied with this loss than I am with some of the wins we've had. Really nice to see all players on the ice giving effort and seeing an aggressive team willing to get to the dirty areas. If we played like this every night we'd make the playoffs easy.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:56 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
well it's get spretty simple. the oilers at 5x5 are the worst ream in the league with a putrid goal scoring rate.
gotta score to win and with the talent Edmonton has, there is no reason they shouldn't have a lot more goals and more points. they better start doing something before the 9 game road trip or it is going to get pretty ugly.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
THATS HOW YOU LOSE A GAME!

I'm more satisfied with this loss than I am with some of the wins we've had. Really nice to see all players on the ice giving effort and seeing an aggressive team willing to get to the dirty areas. If we played like this every night we'd make the playoffs easy.
Agreed.

I'd rather lose this way than win like the Cbus game.

We beat them in every facet of the game except the score, sometimes that happens.
But at least it shows the team can compete and they won't run into a hot goalie for every game.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:00 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

on the plus side last night...

Eager was very good, looks to have his legs back.

Petry played his best game of the year

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
At least there were some good odds on Dallas, made some decent VCash.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:03 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
on the plus side last night...

Eager was very good, looks to have his legs back.

Petry played his best game of the year
I thought Eager played well, he needs to watch his stick though. Few times behind the play he could've had some sort of hooking, slashing or high sticking call.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:13 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

They definitely looked much better in the first 2 periods but you could tell the lack of that 2nd goal would kill them and of course it did.

Eager was a noticeable presence but also more of an offensive force, something that you couldn't say for Hordi.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Red Deer Rebel

Well, I thought that RNH had a strong game, although his lost faceoff did lead to Dallas' second fluke goal. His faceoffs are the weakest part of his game right now.

His passing was superb. The pass he made to send Eberle in alone was outstanding. Unfortunately, Eberle looked like Ryan Smyth on the play and hit the goalie. All he had to do was lift the puck. RNH was winning puck battles - sometimes against two Dallas players - and was just making clever and creative plays time and again. He was lining up against Jamie Benn for most of the night as well, so is facing top drawer competition.

Eberle is not scoring right now, and is missing the net on most of his shots. His wrister is going high. He had 10 shots last night and only 5 were on net. Hall had 11 shots, and 9 were on net. They just dominated every other line in this statistic, and most of these shots and opportunities came from the playmaking and work of Nuge.

Yakupov looked poor when handling the puck most of the night. His giveaway was the cause of another goal. I love the physical edge he has, and would like to see him playing right wing with Nuge going forward. He needs to play with a center that can get him the puck in the faceoff circle on the right hand side. The kid is a shooter, and he only had half the looks that Eberle and Hall had last night (5 shots, 3 on net) - playing largely against Cody Eakin's line.

You can't blame Nuge for that one.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Lolwut.jpeg

Diving stick check breaks up scoring chance in the slot only to bounce unfortunately right onto a wide open Jagr.

He also made a really nice back check stick lift in the Detroit (or maybe it was the Cbus game) as well and took away a prime scoring chance.

He's a rookie, he needs time to learn, but to say he is putting in no effort is just wrong.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:29 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Lolwut.jpeg

Diving stick check breaks up scoring chance in the slot only to bounce unfortunately right onto a wide open Jagr.

He also made a really nice back check stick lift in the Detroit (or maybe it was the Cbus game) as well and took away a prime scoring chance.

He's a rookie, he needs time to learn, but to say he is putting in no effort is just wrong.
So was that diving stick check really that good of a move then?

He had lot of plays where he took big risks. He taking some dumb penalties as well.

Yes he is a rookie, but I have no issue with him getting benched like Hall did when he just didn't get it.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
He's the team's leading goal scorer.

He's also a left winger. What you view as him not putting any effort into his defensive play is probably him being aware of his positional responsibilities.

Aside from the odd give away (which will happen to rookies), he's been tremendous defensively. He's impressed me far more in his own end than Eberle has this year.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
RNH is easily the best centre on the team right now?
I don't see how anyone could say RNH has outplayed Gagner so far this year. let alone adding the word easily.
RNH is better in all three zones on the ice and Gags owes 3 of his 4 goals to Nuge.
Don't get me wrong, I am loving 89's strong start but he isn't the two way C that 93 is.
With a little luck Nuge has 3 or 4 goals as well and probably another couple helpers. The top line cycles and is creating the chances, they just need to plunk a few in.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:36 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

vCash: 203
Its hard to have offence when u cant win a faceoff, or when ur d can move the puck

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

He had lot of plays where he took big risks. He taking some dumb penalties as well.

Yes he is a rookie, but I have no issue with him getting benched like Hall did when he just didn't get it.
What was the alternative of making the diving stick check? Let the guy take an open shot?

The penalty calls on him have been marginal. More of refs trying to put a rookie in his place more than anything else.

I get that you guys want to go on a witch hunt but you are barking up the wrong tree.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
They really wouldn't have helped at all, so not really sure the point.

The team played well yesterday and deserved a better result, that said they have to keep it together all game, or this happens.

I'm sure some malcontents are blaming Dubnyk, he was very solid. You could watch hockey for another 10 years and not see another goal like the Stars' first one last night.

The first line will break through, they did a Ton of things right yesterday.

I don't know what to say really, it was disappoiting, but they looked SO much better that it's hard to just crap all over them.
These are my thoughts as well.
I have been really critical of the team all season even after some of the wins but they really did a lot of things right last night. I thought it was their best performance of the season before the late 3rd period meltdown but it was extremely disappointing nonetheless, it could have been a big win and the crowd also seemed primed to explode if the Oilers had tied it up.

I think that's a game that they can really build off of, the top line in particular seems very close to snapping out of their funk. I think this is a good time to have a homestand where they can pick up some valuable points going into the long road trip. I think they need to go 3-1 in the next 4 games or this season could go down the tubes really quick during the road trip.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:40 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
What was the alternative of making the diving stick check? Let the guy take an open shot?

I get that you guys want to go on a witch hunt but you are barking up the wrong tree.
Has nothing to do with a witch hunt.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:42 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers2k10 View Post
Its hard to have offence when u cant win a faceoff, or when ur d can move the puck
I don't think this was the case last night, we had 27 shots after the 2nd period. Ran into a hot goalie who made some really nice saves last night.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't make the check and the player scores, HF crucifies him. If he makes the check and the puck bounces to our player or into a neutral spot, HF loves the play. Instead, it bounces right to wide open Jagr but nobody asks where his checker was?

As for his penalties... in my mind he's getting the rookie treatment, and bad. Probably even worse than normal because of his fleury celebration. The cross check call on him was soft, and in the third he should have drew a call bringing the puck over the Dallas blue line.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:43 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
RNH is better in all three zones on the ice and Gags owes 3 of his 4 goals to Nuge.
Don't get me wrong, I am loving 89's strong start but he isn't the two way C that 93 is.
With a little luck Nuge has 3 or 4 goals as well and probably another couple helpers. The top line cycles and is creating the chances, they just need to plunk a few in.
This.

RNH has been more than impressive in his own zone. He's so good on his edges, and strong on his skates, that he's able to lock down much bigger, much stronger, players (see Joe Thornton).

Offensively he's generated a lot of chances, even more than Gagner, it's only a matter of time before that results in points.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. If he doesn't make the check and the player scores, HF crucifies him. If he makes the check and the puck bounces to our player or into a neutral spot, HF loves the play. Instead, it bounces right to wide open Jagr but nobody asks where his checker was?

As for his penalties... in my mind he's getting the rookie treatment, and bad. Probably even worse than normal because of his fleury celebration. The cross check call on him was soft, and in the third he should have drew a call bringing the puck over the Dallas blue line.
It's not that I want to run the guy out of town. It's just been something the kid has had issues with this year. I wasn't even going to give him heck for the Jagr play as it was Jagr. The fact is this kid is lost in his own end and if it continues he will get benched like Hall did. It's a part of the process.