HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
  #851
RattleYourSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Do you have any idea how bad that would make Darcy look to his boss? That would basically be taking $24 million and lighting it on fire. Pegula can talk about digging new wells all he wants, but if an employee pisses $24 million away on nothing, that's a good way to earn your pink slip in any industry. Even if Pegula can deal with it, anyone with any pride in their job will do anything in their power to not let that happen.
So not helping the team is the best thing for the GM of the team? I don't know.

I mean, I see your point. And you're right. But pride shouldn't get in the way of getting the job done. But I think, given what you said, that Pegula would have to approach Darcy and say to him, "Look. We know Leino may have made a mistake. I will not judge your overall performance on this one instance. Buying him out is an option I'm open to. We need to avoid these mistakes in the future, because it was a mistake either way. Do what you feel is right."

Because if that doesn't happen, you're probably right.

RattleYourSabre is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
  #852
Tyler2829
Registered User
 
Tyler2829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Leino almost has to be a buy out with the way he's played/been injured on this contract.

Those of you who know more than I do, any reason why we wouldn't buy him out?
He can't be bought out if he's injured.

Tyler2829 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:17 AM
  #853
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,725
vCash: 205
Given that there's a buyout period in summer 2014, as well, I think they'll wait on making that decision until then. I believe they want to give him another year to mesh with the roster.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:21 AM
  #854
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 44,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Do you have any idea how bad that would make Darcy look to his boss? That would basically be taking $24 million and lighting it on fire. Pegula can talk about digging new wells all he wants, but if an employee pisses $24 million away on nothing, that's a good way to earn your pink slip in any industry. Even if Pegula can deal with it, anyone with any pride in their job will do anything in their power to not let that happen.
That's not how the big money teams look at it...

Jame is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  #855
Crazy Tasty
Registered User
 
Crazy Tasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Indiana
Country: United States
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That's not how the big money teams look at it...
Agreed, if management believes buying him out puts them in a better position to succeed and win, I have little doubt that's what will be done.

Crazy Tasty is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
  #856
SECRET SQUIRREL
Registered User
 
SECRET SQUIRREL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Clarence
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,468
vCash: 500
We will lose out on ROR and when it happens I am going to lose my mind. Darcy wont be willing to part with what it will take because he over values his assets and some other team that has an aggressive GM will pull it off. So ****ing frustrating knowing that's the case....

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
  #857
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
That's not how the big money teams look at it...
We're not a big money team. We're just pretending to be one. And while Glen Sather has gotten away with some crazy deals in New York, I don't think that would fly virtually anywhere else, nor should it.

stokes84 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
  #858
RattleYourSabre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
We're not a big money team. We're just pretending to be one. And while Glen Sather has gotten away with some crazy deals in New York, I don't think that would fly virtually anywhere else, nor should it.
I think a strong argument could be made that not admitting your mistake and sticking with the mistake is actually more detrimental to you than moving on from the decision.

RattleYourSabre is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
  #859
SmurfInABlender
Registered User
 
SmurfInABlender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Country: United States
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Ok... local Avs and Sabres fan here. Question:

Since the Avs want a roster player and a prospect for RoR would Sabres fans think Ennis + Armia is too steep?

I'm still holding out that the Avs can pry Tyler Myers away but I know it will never happen because Sherman is a crappy GM. Would be fun to have my favorite Offensive player and Favorite Defensive Player switch teams.

SmurfInABlender is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
  #860
Deevo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
Ok... local Avs and Sabres fan here. Question:

Since the Avs want a roster player and a prospect for RoR would Sabres fans think Ennis + Armia is too steep?

I'm still holding out that the Avs can pry Tyler Myers away but I know it will never happen because Sherman is a crappy GM. Would be fun to have my favorite Offensive player and Favorite Defensive Player switch teams.
Sign me up for Ennis + Armia.

Deevo is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
  #861
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,779
vCash: 500
I could deal with that, but Ennis + Armia is probably too steep for Buffalo, but an equivalent value from another team is probably out there with a willing partner.

Of course, it's my opinion that it doesn't matter who Regier acquires until Ruff is replaced with a better coach.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
  #862
Presten
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berlin
Country: Norway
Posts: 219
vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Sign me up for Ennis + Armia.
Me too, in a heartbeat.

Presten is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  #863
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,725
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
We will lose out on ROR and when it happens I am going to lose my mind. Darcy wont be willing to part with what it will take because he over values his assets and some other team that has an aggressive GM will pull it off. So ****ing frustrating knowing that's the case....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I could deal with that, but Ennis + Armia is probably too steep for Buffalo, but an equivalent value from another team is probably out there with a willing partner.

Of course, it's my opinion that it doesn't matter who Regier acquires until Ruff is replaced with a better coach.
Yep, I'm just bracing myself for when I hear ROR to Ottawa for Silfverberg + Wiercioch + Bishop, or to Boston for Johnny Boychuk + Ryan Spooner, or to Montreal for Eller + Tinordi.

At which point, I will rise from my desk chair, slowly walk across my office, calmly close the door, draw the blinds, and proceed to kick over all office furniture and one-arm everything off my desk.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
  #864
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
Ok... local Avs and Sabres fan here. Question:

Since the Avs want a roster player and a prospect for RoR would Sabres fans think Ennis + Armia is too steep?

I'm still holding out that the Avs can pry Tyler Myers away but I know it will never happen because Sherman is a crappy GM. Would be fun to have my favorite Offensive player and Favorite Defensive Player switch teams.
Personally, I wouldn't do it. We have enough trouble with secondary scoring as it is, and giving up 2 youngsters with those kind of offensive skills doesn't sit well with me. I'd do Ennis + a more defensive prospect (either Girgensons or a d-man, ie: McNabb, Pysyk) or Sekera + a forward prospect.

tsujimoto74 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
  #865
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.


Last edited by stokes84: 02-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
stokes84 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #866
Sabreality
Registered User
 
Sabreality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 5,499
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yep, I'm just bracing myself for when I hear ROR to Ottawa for Silfverberg + Wiercioch + Bishop, or to Boston for Johnny Boychuk + Ryan Spooner, or to Montreal for Eller + Tinordi.

At which point, I will rise from my desk chair, slowly walk across my office, calmly close the door, draw the blinds, and proceed to kick over all office furniture and one-arm everything off my desk.
yeah, thats what I'm afraid of. I think Buffalo needs to start with Sekera & Armia, maybe add a 3rd sweetener and get a 2nd body/pick coming back.

Sabreality is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
  #867
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,725
vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.
Let me first say that the Ennis + Armia proposals are not acceptable to me, because we cannot lose that much offensive talent in one deal--I also believe Armia is a future 1st line winger and perennial 30-goal scorer (under the right coach), FWIW. Others think Armia will bust, so that deal may be more palatable for them.

But I would not be concerned about ROR wanting a deal that takes him to one year after his UFA eligibility--my understanding is he wanted a two-year deal (taking him to arbitration eligibility) for around $4.5m (unacceptable to COL b/c they didn't want to give him $1m more per than Duchene was getting), OR a five-year deal (purchasing one UFA year) for around what Benn got ($5.25m)--because if he's as helpful as many of us anticipate, Pegula will pay the man.

If we have to give up Ennis to get him, it'll sting, but I think I'd do it--I understand you wouldn't, and we'll agree to disagree. But if it must be Ennis going the other way, the class of defensive prospect I'm looking at is closer to the McCabe range than the McNabb/Pysyk range, and I'm sure as **** not doing Ennis + Armia.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
  #868
SabresFan26
Registered User
 
SabresFan26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,969
vCash: 500
Start with Sekera add to that if need be.

SabresFan26 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
  #869
vcv
Deal with it
 
vcv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Williamsville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,618
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Let me first say that the Ennis + Armia proposals are not acceptable to me, because we cannot lose that much offensive talent in one deal--I also believe Armia is a future 1st line winger and perennial 30-goal scorer (under the right coach), FWIW. Others think Armia will bust, so that deal may be more palatable for them.

But I would not be concerned about ROR wanting a deal that takes him to one year after his UFA eligibility--my understanding is he wanted a two-year deal (taking him to arbitration eligibility) for around $4.5m (unacceptable to COL b/c they didn't want to give him $1m more per than Duchene was getting), OR a five-year deal (purchasing one UFA year) for around what Benn got ($5.25m)--because if he's as helpful as many of us anticipate, Pegula will pay the man.

If we have to give up Ennis to get him, it'll sting, but I think I'd do it--I understand you wouldn't, and we'll agree to disagree. But if it must be Ennis going the other way, the class of defensive prospect I'm looking at is closer to the McCabe range than the McNabb/Pysyk range, and I'm sure as **** not doing Ennis + Armia.
Yeah I'd be weary of doing Ennis and Armia because of the lost offense.

Ennis + D prospect / Girgensons is a little easier to swallow because you have Armia coming in next year.

Sekera + Armia is also easier to swallow because you still have Ennis for secondary scoring.

If Stafford wasn't a total ball of suck this year, it might make it easier. V-H-P + Grigorenko+ROR+Good Stafford.

vcv is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
  #870
Tyler2829
Registered User
 
Tyler2829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Let me first say that the Ennis + Armia proposals are not acceptable to me, because we cannot lose that much offensive talent in one deal--I also believe Armia is a future 1st line winger and perennial 30-goal scorer (under the right coach), FWIW. Others think Armia will bust, so that deal may be more palatable for them.

But I would not be concerned about ROR wanting a deal that takes him to one year after his UFA eligibility--my understanding is he wanted a two-year deal (taking him to arbitration eligibility) for around $4.5m (unacceptable to COL b/c they didn't want to give him $1m more per than Duchene was getting), OR a five-year deal (purchasing one UFA year) for around what Benn got ($5.25m)--because if he's as helpful as many of us anticipate, Pegula will pay the man.

If we have to give up Ennis to get him, it'll sting, but I think I'd do it--I understand you wouldn't, and we'll agree to disagree. But if it must be Ennis going the other way, the class of defensive prospect I'm looking at is closer to the McCabe range than the McNabb/Pysyk range, and I'm sure as **** not doing Ennis + Armia.
Agreed. The difference between Ennis and O'Reilly is not one of our top prospects.

Tyler2829 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
  #871
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 44,593
vCash: 500
Ennis AND Armia would sting...

I'd still do it... Obviously, I'd rather do Ennis + a D prospect.

Jame is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
  #872
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 44,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.
Actually, you're the one missing the dynamics. All you seem to recognize is offensive production. Completely oblivious to the massive hole that Oreilly would fill... while we have an asset developing to replace Ennis' secondary scoring. Your bias blinds you to the dynamics in regards to Buffalo

Jame is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
  #873
Zman5778
Moderator
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ennis AND Armia would sting...

I'd still do it... Obviously, I'd rather do Ennis + a D prospect.
Agreed. ROR is exactly what this team needs, and he still has untapped offensive abilities.

Won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Zman5778 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
  #874
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Actually, you're the one missing the dynamics. All you seem to recognize is offensive production. Completely oblivious to the massive hole that Oreilly would fill... while we have an asset developing to replace Ennis' secondary scoring. Your bias blinds you to the dynamics in regards to Buffalo
Considering Ennis is the ONLY scoring we have outside of our top line, offensive production is a massive hole which would only get bigger. We have an asset developing what O'Reilly brings as well, so that argument falls flat.

stokes84 is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
  #875
Old Navy Goat
Registered User
 
Old Navy Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sin City Philippines
Country: United States
Posts: 6,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Considering Ennis is the ONLY scoring we have outside of our top line, offensive production is a massive hole which would only get bigger. We have an asset developing what O'Reilly brings as well, so that argument falls flat.
The issue is you have no idea if Girgs will develop anywhere near the offense that ROR brings...in fact he brings about the same offense as Ennis but with a substantial increase in the defensive aspect of the game. The only thing Ennis has more than ROR is the speed and dynamic element he brings to the table. I'd prefer to keep both but I'd gladly move Ennis to get ROR.

Old Navy Goat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.