HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
RattleYourSabre

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Do you have any idea how bad that would make Darcy look to his boss? That would basically be taking $24 million and lighting it on fire. Pegula can talk about digging new wells all he wants, but if an employee pisses $24 million away on nothing, that's a good way to earn your pink slip in any industry. Even if Pegula can deal with it, anyone with any pride in their job will do anything in their power to not let that happen.
So not helping the team is the best thing for the GM of the team? I don't know.

I mean, I see your point. And you're right. But pride shouldn't get in the way of getting the job done. But I think, given what you said, that Pegula would have to approach Darcy and say to him, "Look. We know Leino may have made a mistake. I will not judge your overall performance on this one instance. Buying him out is an option I'm open to. We need to avoid these mistakes in the future, because it was a mistake either way. Do what you feel is right."

Because if that doesn't happen, you're probably right.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
Leino almost has to be a buy out with the way he's played/been injured on this contract.

Those of you who know more than I do, any reason why we wouldn't buy him out?
He can't be bought out if he's injured.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Given that there's a buyout period in summer 2014, as well, I think they'll wait on making that decision until then. I believe they want to give him another year to mesh with the roster.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Do you have any idea how bad that would make Darcy look to his boss? That would basically be taking $24 million and lighting it on fire. Pegula can talk about digging new wells all he wants, but if an employee pisses $24 million away on nothing, that's a good way to earn your pink slip in any industry. Even if Pegula can deal with it, anyone with any pride in their job will do anything in their power to not let that happen.
That's not how the big money teams look at it...

Old
02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Agreed, if management believes buying him out puts them in a better position to succeed and win, I have little doubt that's what will be done.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

We will lose out on ROR and when it happens I am going to lose my mind. Darcy wont be willing to part with what it will take because he over values his assets and some other team that has an aggressive GM will pull it off. So ****ing frustrating knowing that's the case....

Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
We're not a big money team. We're just pretending to be one. And while Glen Sather has gotten away with some crazy deals in New York, I don't think that would fly virtually anywhere else, nor should it.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:38 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
We're not a big money team. We're just pretending to be one. And while Glen Sather has gotten away with some crazy deals in New York, I don't think that would fly virtually anywhere else, nor should it.
I think a strong argument could be made that not admitting your mistake and sticking with the mistake is actually more detrimental to you than moving on from the decision.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM
SmurfInABlender

Ok... local Avs and Sabres fan here. Question:

Since the Avs want a roster player and a prospect for RoR would Sabres fans think Ennis + Armia is too steep?

I'm still holding out that the Avs can pry Tyler Myers away but I know it will never happen because Sherman is a crappy GM. Would be fun to have my favorite Offensive player and Favorite Defensive Player switch teams.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Deevo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post

Since the Avs want a roster player and a prospect for RoR would Sabres fans think Ennis + Armia is too steep?

I'm still holding out that the Avs can pry Tyler Myers away but I know it will never happen because Sherman is a crappy GM. Would be fun to have my favorite Offensive player and Favorite Defensive Player switch teams.
Sign me up for Ennis + Armia.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:53 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I could deal with that, but Ennis + Armia is probably too steep for Buffalo, but an equivalent value from another team is probably out there with a willing partner.

Of course, it's my opinion that it doesn't matter who Regier acquires until Ruff is replaced with a better coach.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Presten

vCash: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevo View Post
Sign me up for Ennis + Armia.
Me too, in a heartbeat.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:08 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
We will lose out on ROR and when it happens I am going to lose my mind. Darcy wont be willing to part with what it will take because he over values his assets and some other team that has an aggressive GM will pull it off. So ****ing frustrating knowing that's the case....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I could deal with that, but Ennis + Armia is probably too steep for Buffalo, but an equivalent value from another team is probably out there with a willing partner.

Of course, it's my opinion that it doesn't matter who Regier acquires until Ruff is replaced with a better coach.
Yep, I'm just bracing myself for when I hear ROR to Ottawa for Silfverberg + Wiercioch + Bishop, or to Boston for Johnny Boychuk + Ryan Spooner, or to Montreal for Eller + Tinordi.

At which point, I will rise from my desk chair, slowly walk across my office, calmly close the door, draw the blinds, and proceed to kick over all office furniture and one-arm everything off my desk.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:11 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post

Personally, I wouldn't do it. We have enough trouble with secondary scoring as it is, and giving up 2 youngsters with those kind of offensive skills doesn't sit well with me. I'd do Ennis + a more defensive prospect (either Girgensons or a d-man, ie: McNabb, Pysyk) or Sekera + a forward prospect.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
stokes84

People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.

Last edited by stokes84: 02-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Yep, I'm just bracing myself for when I hear ROR to Ottawa for Silfverberg + Wiercioch + Bishop, or to Boston for Johnny Boychuk + Ryan Spooner, or to Montreal for Eller + Tinordi.

At which point, I will rise from my desk chair, slowly walk across my office, calmly close the door, draw the blinds, and proceed to kick over all office furniture and one-arm everything off my desk.
yeah, thats what I'm afraid of. I think Buffalo needs to start with Sekera & Armia, maybe add a 3rd sweetener and get a 2nd body/pick coming back.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Zip15

Quote:
People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.
Let me first say that the Ennis + Armia proposals are not acceptable to me, because we cannot lose that much offensive talent in one deal--I also believe Armia is a future 1st line winger and perennial 30-goal scorer (under the right coach), FWIW. Others think Armia will bust, so that deal may be more palatable for them.

But I would not be concerned about ROR wanting a deal that takes him to one year after his UFA eligibility--my understanding is he wanted a two-year deal (taking him to arbitration eligibility) for around $4.5m (unacceptable to COL b/c they didn't want to give him $1m more per than Duchene was getting), OR a five-year deal (purchasing one UFA year) for around what Benn got ($5.25m)--because if he's as helpful as many of us anticipate, Pegula will pay the man.

If we have to give up Ennis to get him, it'll sting, but I think I'd do it--I understand you wouldn't, and we'll agree to disagree. But if it must be Ennis going the other way, the class of defensive prospect I'm looking at is closer to the McCabe range than the McNabb/Pysyk range, and I'm sure as **** not doing Ennis + Armia.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:37 AM
SabresFan26

Start with Sekera add to that if need be.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Let me first say that the Ennis + Armia proposals are not acceptable to me, because we cannot lose that much offensive talent in one deal--I also believe Armia is a future 1st line winger and perennial 30-goal scorer (under the right coach), FWIW. Others think Armia will bust, so that deal may be more palatable for them.

But I would not be concerned about ROR wanting a deal that takes him to one year after his UFA eligibility--my understanding is he wanted a two-year deal (taking him to arbitration eligibility) for around $4.5m (unacceptable to COL b/c they didn't want to give him $1m more per than Duchene was getting), OR a five-year deal (purchasing one UFA year) for around what Benn got ($5.25m)--because if he's as helpful as many of us anticipate, Pegula will pay the man.

If we have to give up Ennis to get him, it'll sting, but I think I'd do it--I understand you wouldn't, and we'll agree to disagree. But if it must be Ennis going the other way, the class of defensive prospect I'm looking at is closer to the McCabe range than the McNabb/Pysyk range, and I'm sure as **** not doing Ennis + Armia.
Yeah I'd be weary of doing Ennis and Armia because of the lost offense.

Ennis + D prospect / Girgensons is a little easier to swallow because you have Armia coming in next year.

Sekera + Armia is also easier to swallow because you still have Ennis for secondary scoring.

If Stafford wasn't a total ball of suck this year, it might make it easier. V-H-P + Grigorenko+ROR+Good Stafford.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Tyler2829

Quote:

Agreed. The difference between Ennis and O'Reilly is not one of our top prospects.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Ennis AND Armia would sting...

I'd still do it... Obviously, I'd rather do Ennis + a D prospect.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:

Actually, you're the one missing the dynamics. All you seem to recognize is offensive production. Completely oblivious to the massive hole that Oreilly would fill... while we have an asset developing to replace Ennis' secondary scoring. Your bias blinds you to the dynamics in regards to Buffalo

Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Ennis AND Armia would sting...

I'd still do it... Obviously, I'd rather do Ennis + a D prospect.
Agreed. ROR is exactly what this team needs, and he still has untapped offensive abilities.

Won't happen, but it's nice to dream.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
stokes84

Quote:
Actually, you're the one missing the dynamics. All you seem to recognize is offensive production. Completely oblivious to the massive hole that Oreilly would fill... while we have an asset developing to replace Ennis' secondary scoring. Your bias blinds you to the dynamics in regards to Buffalo
Considering Ennis is the ONLY scoring we have outside of our top line, offensive production is a massive hole which would only get bigger. We have an asset developing what O'Reilly brings as well, so that argument falls flat.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Old Navy Goat

Quote:
Considering Ennis is the ONLY scoring we have outside of our top line, offensive production is a massive hole which would only get bigger. We have an asset developing what O'Reilly brings as well, so that argument falls flat.
The issue is you have no idea if Girgs will develop anywhere near the offense that ROR brings...in fact he brings about the same offense as Ennis but with a substantial increase in the defensive aspect of the game. The only thing Ennis has more than ROR is the speed and dynamic element he brings to the table. I'd prefer to keep both but I'd gladly move Ennis to get ROR.

Closed Thread