HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Around The NHL (Part XLII)

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

vCash: 500
Man, it's tough to get a good read on this Devils team. They have two 40 year old goalies playing like they're 25 and guys like Clarkson playing way over their head. They were 3-1-3 before their current 5 game win streak and not playing all that well from what I saw/read. On this current win streak, they've played teams that are either seriously slumping (NYI, Tampa), or teams missing key players (Girardi, Cally for NYR; Letang for PIT). So the question is, are the New Jersey Devils for real?

I predicted them as a playoff team but not as the best team in the EAST. Do they continue to prove everyone wrong or do they fall off a cliff and miss the playoffs like Minny did last season and like most experts predicted before the season?

Old
02-12-2013, 02:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
They're not falling off any cliffs, they're a good team. They'll cool off and I believe we finish ahead of them. But they're a top five or six team in the East, I think.

It's just pain.
Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Agreed. I loved to hate them growing up on the island, but lately it's been more about pity than hatred.

I think they tried to go safe with the Reinhart pick. Close to being NHL ready physically, just needs time to mature. Less things to screw up -- which is a good thing considering how badly they've handled a lot of their prospects thus far. Definitely passed on quite a few kids with more upside though.
Should've picked Reilly or Trouba imo.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

I didn't see anyone say anything about Backes' comments but

Changes coming in St Louis?
This screams a target to Chris Stewart.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:19 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Good chance Wade Redden sitts tomorrow night as Kris Russell is back in and will play in Detroit
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...37622369267712

Ian Cole was the odd man out when the Blues signed Redden. Cole got his chance to play with Russell struggling. Redden has **** the bed. He is a -7. Redden played 10 minutes last night. Russell will replace Redden. Pietrangelo. Shattenkirk. Polak. Jackman. Cole. Russell. At least,Wade has his money. A lot of money.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:22 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
They're not falling off any cliffs, they're a good team. They'll cool off and I believe we finish ahead of them. But they're a top five or six team in the East, I think.
My take exactly.

Though in this short season I wouldn't be completely surprised if they got the top seed.

There is just not much about their lineup that makes me think they are unbeatable.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Man, it's tough to get a good read on this Devils team. They have two 40 year old goalies playing like they're 25 and guys like Clarkson playing way over their head. They were 3-1-3 before their current 5 game win streak and not playing all that well from what I saw/read. On this current win streak, they've played teams that are either seriously slumping (NYI, Tampa), or teams missing key players (Girardi, Cally for NYR; Letang for PIT). So the question is, are the New Jersey Devils for real?

I predicted them as a playoff team but not as the best team in the EAST. Do they continue to prove everyone wrong or do they fall off a cliff and miss the playoffs like Minny did last season and like most experts predicted before the season?
On paper we're better than them. We just need to start playing like it. We need to match their intensity level when we play them.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...37622369267712

Ian Cole was the odd man out when the Blues signed Redden. Cole got his chance to play with Russell struggling. Redden has **** the bed. He is a -7. Redden played 10 minutes last night. Russell will replace Redden. Pietrangelo. Shattenkirk. Polak. Jackman. Cole. Russell. At least,Wade has his money. A lot of money.
Lol remember when he scored his 2 precious goals a few weeks ago and everyone was clamoring about how Sather should not have bought him out? Should have used him as the 6D.

Good times.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post

I think during that cold streak you have to look at that there was no Adam Henrique, no Adam Larrson and stone cold Kovalchuk.

Henrique has only been in the lineup for 7 games and has 6 points. Kovalchuk has heated up. He went through a 5 game pointless streak and now has 5 points in the last 3 games and a goal tonight. Since Larrson has gotten back into the lineup he has been phenomenal. He's playing nearly 20 minutes a game and being used in critical situations. I don't think any of them are playing there best hockey yet.

Last edited by JimEIV: 02-12-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
nsvoyageurs

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Puck-rakers: #CBJ have fired GM Scott HOwson
Expand

Old
02-12-2013, 07:17 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

So Howson gets fired finally. Criag Patrick rumored.

JD and Patrick should be a good fit. Expect a ton of changes.

Old
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Best part is that het gets bounced after the BJ's played their best game in probably four years.

JD made that call weeks ago IMO. Wonder why he waited.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsvoyageurs View Post
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline

Puck-rakers: #CBJ have fired GM Scott HOwson
Expand
well thats a hoot, why didnt they do it last yr and had someone else deal Nash? Oh well good for us!

Old
02-12-2013, 08:28 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

2 questions bc of the TB-MTL game: Are the Bolts really that bad? Are the Habs really that good?

Old
02-12-2013, 09:45 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
2 questions bc of the TB-MTL game: Are the Bolts really that bad? Are the Habs really that good?
it went to a shootout, Montreal will fall down

Old
02-12-2013, 11:29 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftEuro4thLiner View Post
Neither team has a strong defensive game. I think the Lightning are exciting and fun to watch, but don't see them challenging the way some people do. The Habs are in the dumps right now, but I don't expect them to stay there. They will probably find themselves around...oh...around the time they hit MSG on Feb. 19.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:18 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Spot on. IMO they are 5-8 seed team (closer to 5 than to 8). Tons of people had them penciled in to miss playoffs.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:45 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Glad to see Jarmo getting a job with the Jackets. Guy definitely has an eye for talent in young players. Wonder if he'll roll a grenade into it and blow it up so he has a clean slate.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Glad to see Jarmo getting a job with the Jackets. Guy definitely has an eye for talent in young players. Wonder if he'll roll a grenade into it and blow it up so he has a clean slate.
I was wondering the same thing but I would doubt it. Maybe a few moves like Brassard + Wis/Umberger?

I look at that team and really think that if they added a good goalie and allowed their young players to develop properly they would be fine. They have good depth.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:33 AM
Greg02

How long do you guys think it will take JD/Jarmo to get them to be a solid team?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
How long do you guys think it will take JD/Jarmo to get them to be a solid team?
2 years.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I was wondering the same thing but I would doubt it. Maybe a few moves like Brassard + Wis/Umberger?

I look at that team and really think that if they added a good goalie and allowed their young players to develop properly they would be fine. They have good depth.
Yeah, good points. Hopefully Jarmo exercises the patience with these prospects that Howson simply could not. The way they've used Johnansen is horrendous. Kid has potential through the roof and they stuck him in the NHL before he was ready, and then bounced him in and out of the press box. Dumb.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Ola

Quote:
First European GM, right?

There's undoubtedly a bit of a barrier for a European to make it as a GM or as a coach -- but given the relative balance we currently have on the player side its a bit odd with like 60 NA's, and what, 55 Canadians, as coaches and GM's in this league.

At both positions there are some guys out there that just aint that impressive given -- litterary -- the amount of money they make. Almost amature hour like at times.

I am not 100% on this either, but I believe Jarmo's kid is the Forign Minister for Finland (I've heard that he is a son of a scout in the NHL like a year ago, and I think it was Jarmo).

Quote:
Yeah, good points. Hopefully Jarmo exercises the patience with these prospects that Howson simply could not. The way they've used Johnansen is horrendous. Kid has potential through the roof and they stuck him in the NHL before he was ready, and then bounced him in and out of the press box. Dumb.
Yeah, and I've heard numerous players comment on this side of the NHL over the years. A GM in the NHL isn't judged by his results, he is judged on the story he can sell. We have these young players coming up, we are trying to build this type of team bla bla bla. And then if the results don't come they've painted themselves into a corner and can't deviate from their "story". A vet with 5 years left is given up for a kid who at best in three years can become as good as the vet and most likely never will amount to anything. Then the players sit there in the room wondering what on earth was wrong with their teammate who could have played like until 2018, if not longer, and why their GM created a hole in the lineup that prevents them from keep building on what they've built the last couple of years.

I heard a former Swedish NHLer pretty recently being asked about the success of Detroit and NJD and he said something like: Its not that hard to do what Detroit and NJD are doing, in the NHL there are 20+ teams every year who doesn't even try to be as good as possible, they've tried to build a good team 5 years down the line the last 30 years, NJD and Detroit isn't year after year among the best of 30 teams, they are year after year among the best of 8-10 teams, the rest doesn't even try to be good. I don't remember who it was who said it (Josef Boumedienne? or someone like that), but its kind of funny because there's definitely some truth to it.

And its kind of funny, because once a team like that that has built towards peaking in 5 years time for 15 years actually try's to peak -- they have no clue what they are doing because they've never done it before and often screw everything up instantly.

Last edited by Ola: 02-13-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
First European GM, right?

There's undoubtedly a bit of a barrier for a European to make it as a GM or as a coach -- but given the relative balance we currently have on the player side its a bit odd with like 60 NA's, and what, 55 Canadians, as coaches and GM's in this league.

At both positions there are some guys out there that just aint that impressive given -- litterary -- the amount of money they make. Almost amature hour like at times.
Yep. He's the first European GM.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
The Isles have been bad for so long I wish they were good again, been saying it for years. I want a real good rivalry with the Icelanders, the games are always the best when both teams have something on the line. Plus it helps our team to play against better competition.

I hope Reinhart works out for them, so far I'm still not convinced they took the better Dman in the 2012 draft, lots of names taken after him looking very good while GR has just been ok.
Agreed. I'd gladly switch the Isles with the Devils or something to have that rivalry again. The Devils don't do much for me. I can't stand the Isles even though they suck, I wish the Rangers and Isles would have meaningful games again.

Closed Thread