HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #14| Feb. 12, 2013|Flyers at Jets |8:00 p.m. ET

Old
02-13-2013, 01:46 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think he's here to stay. He's getting on the score sheet most nights and bringing size/toughness to the lineup. If he didn't have respect in the locker room already, he earned it tonight. Stuart went after Voracek orginally and Tye stepped in for Jake.
I certainly hope so. He's a guy that is the ultimate team player. He's taken cheap shots, gotten into fights, and has stuck up for guys the way you would expect a veteran to do. It also doesn't hurt that he's gotten on the board a lot like you said. I would love to see his type on the third line at any time.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:56 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I certainly hope so. He's a guy that is the ultimate team player. He's taken cheap shots, gotten into fights, and has stuck up for guys the way you would expect a veteran to do. It also doesn't hurt that he's gotten on the board a lot like you said. I would love to see his type on the third line at any time.
You definitely have to give Holmgren and the scouts their credit on this one. They found a solid player in the 4th round. Seems like we get a lot of good forwards from the QMJHL.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:06 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
You definitely have to give Holmgren and the scouts their credit on this one. They found a solid player in the 4th round. Seems like we get a lot of good forwards from the QMJHL.
I'll never doubt the Flyer's Q scouts after the Giroux pick, but yes they have otherwise done very well in that province. Anybody have a back story on McGinn? Doesn't sound like a Q name, anybody know how he ended up there? The only thing I could find is that he's from Ontario... passed over by the OHL perhaps.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:14 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I'll never doubt the Flyer's Q scouts after the Giroux pick, but yes they have otherwise done very well in that province. Anybody have a back story on McGinn? Doesn't sound like a Q name, anybody know how he ended up there? The only thing I could find is that he's from Ontario... passed over by the OHL perhaps.
Looking at his profile on elite prospects, he played 59 games in the OHL for Ottawa and then moved on to the QMJHL. I'm guessing he was released by Ottawa and picked up on waivers by Gatineau.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:17 AM
Go For It

Quote:
From McGinn's original draft thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Tye McGinn was invited to the Gatineau Olympiques' training camp in 2008, after having been cut by the Ottawa 67's.
Though a late bloomer, he has developed into a very good hockey player.
In fact, he was the Olympiques' best player last year and was probably the best power forward in all the Q.
If he returns to the Olympiques this year as a 20-year old (which I hope will be the case), he could very well be a key cornerstone on a Cup contending team.
He has good hands, a strong shot, good vision and has improved his skating quite a bit.
He is tough, can even be punishing at times and when required, he can drop the gloves and go with the best of them.
I think he will fit quite well in the Flyers' organization.
Good luck to Tye McGinn.
That thread as a whole has some...interesting choices of words by some of our members.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=791721

Last edited by Go For It: 02-13-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:53 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

That thread as a whole has some...interesting choices of words by some of our members.

Haha nice. Good read. Btw, not disrespecting anyone from that thread. It was probably a weird pick at the time.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Devonator

I was actually coming here to post a question about this McGinn chap! I have not gotten much of a chance to see many games this year but I like the stats he has put up so far....any chance that we may have gotten a potential gem in the rough so to speak?

It would be nice to have something to be positive about in this less then stellar start to this young season.

Devonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:42 AM
FlyersFan61290

Still don't get lavy's ice time distributions

check out B. Schenn's and Voracek's ice time and even McGinn. The way they have played for several games now i think they deserves more then that.

and why is g playing more sh minutes then anyone else on the team if you want to get him going offensively. i understand he's winning fo right now but you can't keep riding him like this.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:56 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Still don't get lavy's ice time distributions

check out B. Schenn's and Voracek's ice time and even McGinn. The way they have played for several games now i think they deserves more then that.

and why is g playing more sh minutes then anyone else on the team if you want to get him going offensively. i understand he's winning fo right now but you can't keep riding him like this.
It looks like he just tried to roll every line and keep them fresh being that it was a back to back on a long flight

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:23 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It looks like he just tried to roll every line and keep them fresh being that it was a back to back on a long flight
but it wasn't just yesterday's game it has been like that all season. nobody cared earlier cause they were playing like garbage but now that hey are playing better i think they should be getting more ice time and they aren't.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:36 AM
StormLifer

He is from Fergus, ON. Younger brother of Jamie McGinn who plays for Colorado (traded from San Jose). They also have another brother Brock who plays for Guelph in the OHL.

StormLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post

Was Giroux not also cut or not signed by the 67's before going to Gatineau?!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:41 AM
kicksave27

He's got a good hockey name, "he shoots the puck and it's in, it's in, Tye McGinn"

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Lol @ that thread. Some notorious naysayers posting hatred in that of the pick. Well, so far, I guess they're eating crow haha.

02-13-2013, 11:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Lol @ that thread. Some notorious naysayers posting hatred in that of the pick. Well, so far, I guess they're eating crow haha.
Well lets be realistic here for a second. He was an overager who didnt make the cut for the OHL and was barely a PPG player in the QMJHL. You can't really fault people for not getting excited for this type of player. If McGinn didnt improve drastically like he did from last year to this year, Id be on the same boat. He didnt look too good last season. He worked on his skating ability and it got him a job in the NHL (well for now anyway)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well lets be realistic here for a second. He was an overager who didnt make the cut for the OHL and was barely a PPG player in the QMJHL. You can't really fault people for not getting excited for this type of player. If McGinn didnt improve drastically like he did from last year to this year, Id be on the same boat. He didnt look too good last season. He worked on his skating ability and it got him a job in the NHL (well for now anyway)
I get not being excited, but to call a pick straight up stupid considering it was a 4th round pick... Maybe it's just me but I don't count on the 4th round becoming a dynamite player. If it does, it's a bonus. Plus, I'd be willing to guess a lot of people made that assessment based on numbers without seeing him play. I am not referring to you or anyone in particular, just speculation.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:33 AM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
but it wasn't just yesterday's game it has been like that all season. nobody cared earlier cause they were playing like garbage but now that hey are playing better i think they should be getting more ice time and they aren't.
because he's the only guy that can win a faceoff right now

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I get not being excited, but to call a pick straight up stupid considering it was a 4th round pick... Maybe it's just me but I don't count on the 4th round becoming a dynamite player. If it does, it's a bonus. Plus, I'd be willing to guess a lot of people made that assessment based on numbers without seeing him play. I am not referring to you or anyone in particular, just speculation.
Eh, as you can see, I didnt post in that thread (well I didnt see myself) because I reframed from saying whether it s a good pick or bad. The only time I will say its bad is if Homer decided to go goony, over a player I liked. Im a fan of drafting high risk high reward players (high risk as in he might not reach it). I also like players that might not be exposed to the public as much, but the Flyers see them. Example is Reese Willcox this past draft. I like the kid. He has the size and skating ability to play in the NHL. Homer compared him to Coburn and watching him play you can see why.

I agree that past the 3rd round, you should have a type of drafting philosophy. The Flyers havent done THAT bad late in the rounds. They got lower level guys like McGinn, Wellwood, etc etc. Im hoping that in this past draft they might of found a steal with all the d-men they drafted:

Gostisbehere
Larsson
Willcox
Vasiliev

I thought last draft had alot of the players I like. A combination of low exposed players, and high exposed. I agree with taking "safe" players (usually bigger players are considered safe since they have size), but some players just look iffy no matter where you draft him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormLifer View Post
He is from Fergus, ON. Younger brother of Jamie McGinn who plays for Colorado (traded from San Jose). They also have another brother Brock who plays for Guelph in the OHL.
Tye and Brock haha. There's a mom and dad who weren't thinking past the first 5 years.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Soble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
He's got a good hockey name, "he shoots the puck and it's in, it's in, Tye McGinn"
Tye just scored his first goal. He'll continue to light the lamp, time and Tye McGinn.

Soble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
because he's the only guy that can win a faceoff right now
my previous comment was referring more so to B. Schenn and Voracek.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soble View Post
Tye just scored his first goal. He'll continue to light the lamp, time and Tye McGinn.
It took me a second, but well done.

02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:16 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Lol I feel like you've had that one stored, and were just waiting for a time to use it.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:28 PM
tbcwpg

Was at the game last night, I enjoyed watching the Flyers play, they played a pretty solid game for the most part. Bryz looked very good.

I also really like that Tye Mcginn kid. Hadn't heard of him before this game but from reading your board on him, I think he's proving some people wrong. Very good game from him.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote