HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

More of the Usual

Old
02-13-2013, 08:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
I wonder if Ruff has interest in moving up to GM somewhere like Columbus.

02-13-2013, 09:01 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I wonder if Ruff has interest in moving up to GM somewhere like Columbus.
Too late.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
His value is likely at its lowest it's ever been. You're not going to get anything worthwhile, and change for change's sake doesn't work. (I'm still waiting for us to be awesome now that Derek Roy isn't in the room anymore.) Let the guy get through his slump, and see how he performs under a new coach.
I disagree. Even in his 30goal or decent production season, he is inconsistent, streaky, and carries a penchant for a disappearing act. No thank you. Done with him. Call it what you want, I call it a poor representation of professionalism. I'm all about seeing what guys can do under a new voice - I just have no desire to see him on this team anymore. Bias, personal distaste, whatever the **** you want to call it.

As for the Roy trade... Is it the main reason behind Bucky's article where other GMs are ripping Regier? Very likely. On paper, you got a third line grinder and a brutal cap dump for a #2 center who is fringe #1, wins draws, plays all zones and all situations while hovering at a point-per-game pace for his career. But any human who watched the team knew it was time for a divorce. Whether or not we got a decent to good return is obviously debatable, but like it is for Stafford, Roy's time was up.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I agree with this. Hasn't he also mentioned being interested in going more to the personnel side of hockey? Maybe Buffalo could offer him a job as a scout or assistant GM or something. He and Regier obviously like working together, and he deserves the organization's respect for how loyal he's been throughout his career, even if it's past time for a fresh face behind the bench.

If we get a new coach, and the team isn't any better, then he and Darcy are both on the block together for inept management. I don't see what we have to lose by offering him the option of staying in a different role.

The only thing worse than having Ruff coach is having Ruff MORE involved in player personnel. Why people would want an entire team of Jochen Hecht's is beyond me. For the love of everything good, just let them man go.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:15 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post

The only thing worse than having Ruff coach is having Ruff MORE involved in player personnel. Why people would want an entire team of Jochen Hecht's is beyond me. For the love of everything good, just let them man go.
As I said, if the team still blows and it becomes clear that management is as much a factor as coaching, then both he and Regier are on their way out together for stinking that up, and we start fresh. If the problem is mostly just the coaching, it won't make any difference if he's there, because R&R already work together making personnel decisions.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
As I said, if the team still blows and it becomes clear that management is as much a factor as coaching, then both he and Regier are on their way out together for stinking that up, and we start fresh. If the problem is mostly just the coaching, it won't make any difference if he's there, because R&R already work together making personnel decisions.
Who do you think Ruff would want as a coach to replace him? It would be one of the guys already behind him, so chances are Patrick would be taking over. No thanks. If you want actual change in the organization, you have to walk away from people.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:24 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I disagree. Even in his 30goal or decent production season, he is inconsistent, streaky, and carries a penchant for a disappearing act. No thank you. Done with him. Call it what you want, I call it a poor representation of professionalism. I'm all about seeing what guys can do under a new voice - I just have no desire to see him on this team anymore. Bias, personal distaste, whatever the **** you want to call it.

As for the Roy trade... Is it the main reason behind Bucky's article where other GMs are ripping Regier? Very likely. On paper, you got a third line grinder and a brutal cap dump for a #2 center who is fringe #1, wins draws, plays all zones and all situations while hovering at a point-per-game pace for his career. But any human who watched the team knew it was time for a divorce. Whether or not we got a decent to good return is obviously debatable, but like it is for Stafford, Roy's time was up.
I firmly believe that if Ruff were out of the picture and someone else other than Patrick or Adams was the coach, Ott would flourish.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Too late.
Rats! It'll be interesting to see if Jarmo can work some of his drafting magic for Columbus. Granted, having three first round picks (as of now) in the upcoming draft should make him look like a genius.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:38 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

All I keep thinking about is how correct people are when they say how boring this team is to watch.

I dread the near 3 hours round trip there and home to watch them play, I find other things to watch when they are on the road... its just boring.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
OkimLom

I'm on the "No Winnin' For Mackinnon" train, so I am not mad theyre losing.

With that in mind, I'm disgusted with how little care they seem to be playing. The sad part is, I really think the players really do like playing for the Sabres but not for the coach. But because the Owner and GM have such a strong love for Lindy, I feel some players are hesitant to say anything to the media about how they feel. Some might feel if they same something, not only would they might have no playing time, but they may be on Darcy's list of tradeables.

BEFORE they get a new coach, they need to get rid of the GM. Darcy's and Lindy's vision of a team is not working in today's NHL.

There's 3 of the "Rochester 5" core left, all of which are carrying this team, and it still did not change play or effort from the team. Unless Darcy wants to commit Career suicide and franchise suicide and trade off their captain(respected player at that), franchise goaltender, or their MVP(Vanek) he might need to look at getting rid of the guy who coaches the team. Every other team would get rid of players and if that still didn't work then they get rid of the coach. The Buffalo fanbase is still waiting on the coach to be moved. Too many guys have been moved.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:40 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Rats! It'll be interesting to see if Jarmo can work some of his drafting magic for Columbus. Granted, having three first round picks (as of now) in the upcoming draft should make him look like a genius.
Unless he trades them all to NYR for Nash. Now, hereby known as "The Garth Snow".

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
studebaker1*

With the draft lottery we probably wont get a 1st overall even if we tank it.

Last edited by studebaker1*: 02-13-2013 at 01:15 PM.
studebaker1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Unless he trades them all to NYR for Nash. Now, hereby known as "The Garth Snow".
Wait, I thought that "The Garth Snow" was when you signed a goalie to a 100 year contract?

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by studebaker1 View Post
With the draft lottery we probably wont get a 1st round pick even if we tank it.
Pretty sure every team gets a first round pick regardless of where they finish.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
All I keep thinking about is how correct people are when they say how boring this team is to watch.

I dread the near 3 hours round trip there and home to watch them play, I find other things to watch when they are on the road... its just boring.
Add to that the fact that the players themselves are giving off an aura of being bored actually playing, like they are just going through the motions at the minute...

Newcastlesabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:15 PM
studebaker1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Pretty sure every team gets a first round pick regardless of where they finish.
Yea, I'm an idiot. I meant 1st overall.

studebaker1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Royisgone

Quote:
Yea, I'm an idiot. I meant 1st overall.
The draft will still be heavily weighted such that if you finish dead last the odds favor you more than anyone else in terms of getting the first pick.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
With the draft lottery we probably wont get a 1st overall even if we tank it.
Good, it'll save us some annoying Jones vs. MacKinnon debates if we get pick #2, knowing that we'll just take whichever is there for us.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
McTank

I want jones at 1 or drouin at 3, not that high on mackinnon but that'd be cool too

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

It's possible that by our next game on Friday that we are tied for last in the East with Washington 30% into the season.

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

You know, when I first starting supporting the Sabres, I was filled with optimism, and I was warned by quite a few people that supporting Buffalo is frustrating and that they would grind me down eventually.I thought that the fans were a cynical bunch, but looks whats happened, its come true. An organisation with vast potential, not moving forward and way behind the top teams on the ice. Supporting your teams meant to be fun, with Buffalo it's hard work!

Old
02-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastlesabre View Post
You know, when I first starting supporting the Sabres, I was filled with optimism, and I was warned by quite a few people that supporting Buffalo is frustrating and that they would grind me down eventually.I thought that the fans were a cynical bunch, but looks whats happened, its come true. An organisation with vast potential, not moving forward and way behind the top teams on the ice. Supporting your teams meant to be fun, with Buffalo it's hard work!
Pfft, more like one giant never ending headache.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Newcastlesabre
Rookie User

Actually finding it tough to get excited about watching the games anymore, it's all so utterly predictable

Old
02-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

I could be wrong..but I think our 3rd and 4th line have combined for a total of 5 even-strength goals through 14 games, and 3 are from our d-men. That is just brutal. Not like our 2nd line is doing any better on top of that. It's going to be rough if VHP is starting to come back to earth now.

Ott has 1 goal ES on the 3rd line
Sulzer has 2 goals ES that came while the 3rd line was out
Leopold has 1 goal ES that came while the 3rd line was out
Grigorenko has 1 goal ES on the 3rd line

Have My Baby Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote