HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need a heavyweight enforcer?

View Poll Results: Should the Habs claim Matt Kassian on waivers from Minnesota?
Yes 86 74.78%
No 29 25.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 09:24 AM
LePoche69

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Coca View Post
Team toughness is far from being only good on paper, and having a heavyweight enforcer will not make this team ''tougher''. I thought people would of understand that given the decline of the enforcers in the league.

People react way too much to only one game. The Canadiens have been out-hitting the opposition since the beginning of the season.
There's no decline this year. 20% more fight. And in the eastern conference, teams have pile up the enforcers, especially in Habs' division.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I assumed that you can claim and then open up a space. Seems silly to encourage a system when a player would (potentially) be sent down from the NHL because other teams weren't able to claim him even though they wanted him. The PA would have every right to flip.
Of course you can. Generally teams don't, and I don't expect Bergevin to do any differently. Especially since we don't have any easy targets for opening up a spot. Kaberle may be useful depth if an injury hits, Weber may have trade value, White still has value to us, Armstrong was just signed this off-season and is Therrien's pet, etc. None are worth losing for nothing just to add an enforcer, I would say.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Of course you can. Generally teams don't, and I don't expect Bergevin to do any differently. Especially since we don't have any easy targets for opening up a spot. Kaberle may be useful depth if an injury hits, Weber may have trade value, White still has value to us, Armstrong was just signed this off-season and is Therrien's pet, etc. None are worth losing for nothing just to add an enforcer, I would say.
I agree with you. That said, Habs could easily "theorycaly" send down Gallagher for a few hours (48?) to give themselves time to create a hole for Kassian or anybody else.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
There's no decline this year. 20% more fight. And in the eastern conference, teams have pile up the enforcers, especially in Habs' division.
This. I'm trying to figure out on what planet Uber Coca lives, because on mine there's Scott, Mckormik, Thronton, Lucic, Chara, Orr, Mclaren ad Niel in the division alone that can take on just about anybody without looking stupid. Prust, White and Moen are doing fine job protecting our guys during ther ice-time, but none of those 3 make a difference on presence alone like Kassian would,

Old
02-13-2013, 10:25 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

I know in the current conditions, I would put a claim on Kassian. Not because he's a good player or a solution to everything. But because the rules have been set in the NE division this year. And it dictates that in this division, there are going to be a lot of tough games where fights and intimidation will go a long way in the success of a team.

And so far, in many, many years, being "above" the rules dictated by our opponents haven't lead us anywhere close to success.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:31 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
School yard culture is going strong this year in the NHL, such a great exemple...

Old
02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Pick him up and put him in the lineup tomorrow, see what he's got against Parros!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pick him up and put him in the lineup tomorrow, see what he's got against Parros!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBOqKVwzSJc

Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
Can't view it at work right now

How did he do?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
School yard culture is going strong this year in the NHL, such a great exemple...
Oh. I wasn't saying I'm for the enforcers. I'm just saying that the enforcers are coming back strong this season. And honnestly, I don't like that.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:46 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:

How did he do?
He more than held his own, pretty much a draw. He did get a few good shots in.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDaddy View Post
He more than held his own, pretty much a draw. He did get a few good shots in.
Thanks ID

I guess we will find out in about 15 minutes or so

Old
02-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

How did he do?
He really held his own against parros I'd love this guy in the lineup

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Our heavyweight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCByN2epSE

Old
02-13-2013, 10:52 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He might not be a heavyweight but he can fight......

Old
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
CN_paladin

When will we exactly find out whether Kassian gets claimed or not?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:02 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Can't believe some people around who say "Hey, we got Nokalainen, so we can't put a claim on Kassian"

Let's get real. If we call Nokalainen and Weber "depth", then every single team in the league has depth, because those kind of players go through the waivers wire 20 times per season. They serve no purpose as regulars for an NHL team.

I once was high on Weber but the kid is so stupid on the ice that it's a miracle he's still in an NHL roster.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Gary320

Taylor and Pandolfo clear Waivers. MN places Kassian on Waivers. - From Darren Dregger
___

Wait what? Wasnt he on waivers yesterday

Old
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

So they didn't put him on waivers yesterday but today, so tomorrow at noon I guess

Old
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Gary320

Quote:
So they didn't put him on waivers yesterday but today, so tomorrow at noon I guess
Makes sense - I'll never trust posters here again!
I assumed he was on waivers yesterday - tisk tisk tisk.

Guess 24 more hours of people saying they want him or how bad they don't.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:09 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Can't believe some people around who say "Hey, we got Nokalainen, so we can't put a claim on Kassian"

Let's get real. If we call Nokalainen and Weber "depth", then every single team in the league has depth, because those kind of players go through the waivers wire 20 times per season. They serve no purpose as regulars for an NHL team.

I once was high on Weber but the kid is so stupid on the ice that it's a miracle he's still in an NHL roster.
First of all, I don't even know if you can waive a player on LTIR like Nokelainen is (I suspect you cannot) but even if you could, I'd think it would be considered extremely poor form for any team to do so.

Secondly, I would definitely contend that Weber has more value than Matt Kassian. You're arguing players like Nokelainen and Weber have no value, yet you're doing so in comparison to Matt Kassian - a player currently on waivers (so, clearly no value to his team) and who hasn't even played a game yet this year. Must be quite a broad definition, this "no value" thing.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Gary320

Quote:
First of all, I don't even know if you can waive a player on LTIR like Nokelainen is (I suspect you cannot) but even if you could, I'd think it would be considered extremely poor form for any team to do so.

Secondly, I would definitely contend that Weber has more value than Matt Kassian. You're arguing players like Nokelainen and Weber have no value, yet you're doing so in comparison to Matt Kassian - a player currently on waivers (so, clearly no value to his team) and who hasn't even played a game yet this year. Must be quite a broad definition, this "no value" thing.

Good point on Nokelainen, they can't put him on waivers.
Say Kassasian is picked up by us (Let's say he is) besides a trade, there is no player Habs can send down, with out going through waivers, in time that would allow them to pick up Kassasian, is there. Unless the league allowed it for 24 hours.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:

Matt Kassian would actually fill a need on this team. Look at the North East division. Look at the kind of hockey that's being played in the league right now, with a 20% increase of fights.

Unless you guys think it's better to ignore the rules set by the other teams and feel like we're in some class above that? Because that has worked to well in the past... yeah right.

Yannick Weber is a complete liability on the ice whenever he plays. He's our 8th d-man, and he serves no purpose on this team, as we already have too many smallish, soft defensemen.

As for Nokalainen, when are you going to let him a spot on that lineup? No argument there, you can't waive a player on the LTIR. But him coming back at some point should NOT prevent you from claiming a guy like Kassian. Especially when a guy like Weber back there is not playing, and is playing horribly whenever he's on the ice.

As for Kassian being on waivers, he just was expendable, as his team already counts on the likes of guys like Stoner, Rupp and Konopka in a much softer division than the NorthEast.

A guy like Kassian can be pegged in against physical team in games that you think are going to be physical and where we risk to get intimidated.

A guy like Weber is nothing.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:20 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

That's where you're wrong he fills a role that for the wild that is already filled, however a role that is wide open in montreal that's stuck in a bruiser division he would hold great value for montreal as a 4liner or even a depth guy, can bang with the best of them big tough physical guy with something to prove now

Old
02-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Taylor and Pandolfo clear Waivers. MN places Kassian on Waivers. - From Darren Dregger
___

Wait what? Wasnt he on waivers yesterday
official word could not come until today at noon...

Closed Thread