HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It doesn't matter how hard you try.. Oilers lose 4-1. (Avatar Help)

Old
02-13-2013, 10:56 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyakasha View Post
i'm not going to get down on the kid too much, but c'mon...Yak was easily one of the worst players last night.
just a brutal game from him...he contributed nothing, except helping Jagr add to his NHL goal tally.
I can't comprehend how you can walk away from a game with a negative view of a player who makes a world class move around a defender in the low slot to almost score on his backhand, narrowly misses on a snipe from the high slot, and busts his ass on the forecheck all game.

But when you hold an amazing defensive play against the same player because his teammates are watching the puck, we're in double face palm territory:

Last edited by worraps: 02-13-2013 at 11:01 AM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Ah yes....we are now on the 'benching' bandwagon. Excellent. Expect one of these threads after each loss, might be a different player but they will come out in spades because we all know it is about 'accountability'.

If you are an 18 or 19 year old player and making mistakes and we all have to 'be patient about the rebuild' then you play them, teach them and live with the mistakes. Vets who are just playing terrible should be benched because they are not better than their replacements.

As for defense.....I was alarmed by Kruegers comments before this last game indicating that it was the forwards fault we got owned in Columbus. The same forwards that are dead last by a mile in even strength goals.

I can't wait until all the young kids really play some defense and come down low on every play, then we will really see the offense stagnate. Watching the Oilers we very rarely these days have a 3 man offensive rush when we get puck possession. At least one forward is going down deep on each play as instructed and though that supposedly helps defensive play it hurts the offense.
i was thinking while watching the game last night why gagner always breaks out to hemskys side, thinking how i would lov to see yakupov carry the puck through the nuetral zone. then i noticed it was because yakupov was down on the half boards and was the reason the puck got out in the first place. anyone who thinks he is playing bad defensively is crazy imo. sure he has had a few giveaways but so has everyone else. I dont mind a player losing a few pucks or making poor choices if they are trying to do something. then there are plugs like petrell who dont do anything bad, they dont do anything good either they just dont do anything. you could replace him with anyone else on the team on the pk and it wouldnt miss a beat. i swear the only reason he is on the PK is because no one would care if he got blasted with a puck.

we should have PRV on the PK again, he did get more SH goals in columbus than the whole bottom 6 has got ES this season.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:00 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If we want our offense to improve we need to improve our defense. We need to bring in another bottom pairing guy and a top pairing guy. You swap out Nick Schultz and Ryan Whitney for Keith Yandle and Cody Franson and I guarantee our whole lineup produces more. I dunno why Tambo brought in a Smid clone to help improve our d, while trading out a good two way d. Theres only enough room for one d man like Smid in the top 6.
I agree with you that Yandle would be a huge addition. Most of the people on this board have been saying we're a top 4 defenseman away from being a decent team since July.

If Phoenix would move Yandle for Hemsky + Whitney, I'd do it in a second (I doubt Phoenix would want to take on that kind of salary though).

Old
02-13-2013, 11:03 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Yandle would be awesome, but even a great passer from the defensive zone. I hope whitney gets a fire lit under his ass because his breakout pass is top 10 in the league and if he is replacing potter then thats a huge plus for us. if he cant as most beleive then we need someone with a great puck moving ability.

also i want to see petry get his game back because last year his game was top notch. he looked good last night and i expect him to keep up the steady imrpovement.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
OilDrop37

vCash: 1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Nail Yakupov, the guy who very nearly scored 2 goals and made some very nice defensive plays. Yes.
Your reaching. I'm not saying I'm upset with his play, he's a rookie on a steep learning curve and it'll come with time but to crown him the best player on the ice because of 2 "almost" goals is a stretch.

I have no idea what defensive plays your referring too but whatever. Sliding on your stomach to try and prevent a goal on your giveaway isn't Selke worthy.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Your reaching. I'm not saying I'm upset with his play, he's a rookie on a steep learning curve and it'll come with time but to crown him the best player on the ice because of 2 "almost" goals is a stretch.

I have no idea what defensive plays your referring too but whatever. Sliding on your stomach to try and prevent a goal on your giveaway isn't Selke worthy.
His give away?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
Yandle would be awesome, but even a great passer from the defensive zone. I hope whitney gets a fire lit under his ass because his breakout pass is top 10 in the league and if he is replacing potter then thats a huge plus for us. if he cant as most beleive then we need someone with a great puck moving ability.

also i want to see petry get his game back because last year his game was top notch. he looked good last night and i expect him to keep up the steady imrpovement.
It's not just Yandle's breakout pass we need. Right now we literally have no one with a big shot from the point. Which we need for 5 vs 5 scoring to create rebounds for ugly goals.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:35 AM
frag2

Quote:
It's not just Yandle's breakout pass we need. Right now we literally have no one with a big shot from the point. Which we need for 5 vs 5 scoring to create rebounds for ugly goals.
To be fair, it's not just a shot from the point, is a shot period

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM
bsmith14

Can you imagine if this team didnt have Justin Schultz?

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
OilCanada92

Playing was great last night, more of that. Now line jumbling, Eager-VV-Petrell played at total of 25 mins last night. They played great especially Petrell and Eager. Those guys need more then 7 mins.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:44 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Nail was working hard out there in the defensive end, the only thing that I could really "fault" him for is that he seems to love being the 2nd man on the puck even if he could easily be the 1st man then he tries to fish the puck loose.

02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
To be fair, it's not just a shot from the point, is a shot period
True enough, none of our d have dangerous shots except for Schultz. Whitney use to but he doesn't have the mobility to get into a position to get it off anymore without a defender blocking it.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Can you imagine if this team didnt have Justin Schultz?
Yea. We're improving but it's not in the places we thought we'd be improving.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The game was over likely when it was 2-1. Tbh it looked like we could've played 3 more periods without scoring a goal. you disagree?
A goal is a goal and we were down by 1 goal when Gagner took that ill advised penalty. I wouldn't have bet on us tying that game especially if our PP failed, but stranger things have happened.

Quote:
True enough, none of our d have dangerous shots except for Schultz. Whitney use to but he doesn't have the mobility to get into a position to get it off anymore without a defender blocking it.
I never considered Whitney's shot anything to write home about TBH. We haven't been using Potter's or Petry's shot enough IMO.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
If we want our offense to improve we need to improve our defense. We need to bring in another bottom pairing guy and a top pairing guy. You swap out Nick Schultz and Ryan Whitney for Keith Yandle and Cody Franson and I guarantee our whole lineup produces more. I dunno why Tambo brought in a Smid clone to help improve our d, while trading out a good two way d. Theres only enough room for one d man like Smid in the top 6.
I didn't know it was that easy.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
A goal is a goal and we were down by 1 goal when Gagner took that ill advised penalty. I wouldn't have bet on us tying that game especially if our PP failed, but stranger things have happened.
It was a stupid penalty and in offensive zone. One player is being benched for this right now. So I understand the point being raised. Hopefully Gagner does.

Quote:
I never considered Whitney's shot anything to write home about TBH. We haven't been using Potter's or Petry's shot enough IMO.
Potter was poor at controlling the puck or being in position for the puck anytime it did go back. Fistric was another one looking at a puck coming at him as if its a ticking bomb. Neither of these guys look comfortable with the puck right now. Its like they would prefer not to touch it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
If I hear the phrase "the high-flying Oilers" on TV one more time, I might just snap.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
I didn't know it was that easy.
Ever wonder how Phoenix and Nashville made the playoffs the last few years? It's well known a good defense core and mediocore forwards will get you farther then elite forwards with a ****** defense. Look at Tampa vs Phoenix for an example of this. If you want to win the cup top 10 forwards with a top 5 d core and above average goalie almost guarantees it. It's not easy but it's Tambo's job, and he should be improving this team even if it means making hard decisions. Right now our defense is abysmal and that falls squarely on Tambo as I think the only remaining d man that was here when he took over is Smid.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Ever wonder how Phoenix and Nashville made the playoffs the last few years? It's well known a good defense core and mediocore forwards will get you farther then elite forwards with a ****** defense. Look at Tampa vs Phoenix for an example of this. If you want to win the cup top 10 forwards with a top 5 d core and above average goalie almost guarantees it. It's not easy but it's Tambo's job, and he should be improving this team even if it means making hard decisions. Right now our defense is abysmal and that falls squarely on Tambo as I think the only remaining d man that was here when he took over is Smid.
You mentioned Phoenix and Nashville yet you never mentioned coaching or goaltending, which are much larger strengths than the defense....

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
You mentioned Phoenix and Nashville yet you never mentioned coaching or goaltending, which are much larger strengths than the defense....
Coaching a big part of it of course because they know how to get the most out of there players, but the goaltending I believe is more a result of there solid defense then anything. Both Smith and Rinne wouldn't look as good as they did last year if they were playing in Edmonton IMO.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

Gagner's penalty had no bearing on loss we had other oppurtunity's in the game to score and other pp as well. It was not a selfish penalty a inadvertant trip giong for a puck battle.Can't see why you seem hung up on this other than you don't like the player.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobby View Post
Now that i've had a chance to cool off.... i really liked our effort last night. Tough game to lose the way we did.

I cant help but feel we just need to absolutely fill the net vs a team with some lucky/garbage/deflection/dump-in-bounce-off-stantion type goals to get us rolling again on offence. I thought Hall's goal might spark us. Our PP has looked pretty good but we need some greasy goals which you usualy get from your bottom 6...we're just not getting it.

Our entire top 6 has good skill but its all finesse. They arent getting these goals either unless its on the PP where we outman them. These guys are great on the PP when you have time and space, but 5on5 we need someone to be creating that space and going to the tough areas and driving the net.

Crappy bottom 6 is a scapegoat, we are not good enough except on the PP... I guess a good power play gives the top 6 a free pass.

Not counting PP we have 11 goals from our top 6, and 4 goals from our bottom 6... Not counting PP, ice time per game for our top 6 is around 14-16 mins per game while for the bottom 6 9-11 mins... What should the ratio be in your opinion? Does the bottom 6 need to step up and score on pace with the top 6 scoring (again, nor counting PP)?

That said, we have big problems scoring except on the PP, bottom 6 and top 6, but you can hardly say that the problem we have is on the bottom 6.

I don't think there's a quick fix for this (although I hope I am wrong), imo they need to keep up what they are doing and try to become more consistent. I've seen more flashes of really good play this year than the previous two combined. When we are able to play our game it looks very good, the problem is being able to keep it up even when things don't go our way.

LaGu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Crappy bottom 6 is a scapegoat, we are not good enough except on the PP... I guess a good power play gives the top 6 a free pass.

Not counting PP we have 11 goals from our top 6, and 4 goals from our bottom 6... Not counting PP, ice time per game for our top 6 is around 14-16 mins per game while for the bottom 6 9-11 mins... What should the ratio be in your opinion? Does the bottom 6 need to step up and score on pace with the top 6 scoring (again, nor counting PP)?

That said, we have big problems scoring except on the PP, bottom 6 and top 6, but you can hardly say that the problem we have is on the bottom 6.

I don't think there's a quick fix for this (although I hope I am wrong), imo they need to keep up what they are doing and try to become more consistent. I've seen more flashes of really good play this year than the previous two combined. When we are able to play our game it looks very good, the problem is being able to keep it up even when things don't go our way.
How many goals ES goal has our defense scored compared to the rest of the league? I wouldn't be surprised if were dead last even if we included the PP.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:46 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
How many goals ES goal has our defense scored compared to the rest of the league? I wouldn't be surprised if were dead last even if we included the PP.
Take out Justin Schultz and we'd have 0 goals from our defense.

Yikes.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Booyakasha
Nailinus Omarkupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
His give away?
yes...his giveaway.
you know the one that lead directly to the 3rd goal.

*double face palm*

I know when you love a prospect soooo much, they can do no wrong in your eyes, but come on.
nobody is dumping on the kid, just pointing out certain things...its not an attack on him.

and just to add...Stamkos was benched a few times in his rookie year,as well as seated in the pressbox so was Eberle, and Hall..its no slight on the player.

Booyakasha is offline   Reply With Quote