HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
If Sam could play in his own end like Dave did and win face offs, he'd be a great 2C. I just don't think he has that in his game.

I'd prefer to keep him as a winger if possible but I'd flip him for ROR in a second.
Colorado's not going to want Gagner in return. There looking for a top 4 dman, so I'm guessing that's what ROR goes for if he doesn't sign.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:47 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Colorado's not going to want Gagner in return. There looking for a top 4 dman, so I'm guessing that's what ROR goes for if he doesn't sign.
Agreed. That's why I'd offer sheet him and look to move Gagner elsewhere (maybe to get some of the offer sheet picks back).

I doubt Tambo has the guts for it though.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Honest question, who is the better winger, Gagner or Hemsky? Hemsky IMO has a top end speed that Gagner will likely never have, neither have the greatest of shots, and neither are the biggest/strongest for winning puck battles. Which of the two fits better with Nail or Hall going forward?

02-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
IMO if we were to move Gagner for him we wouldn't need to add a lot due to Gagner's hot start. That said I still see more value for this club in ROR than I do in Gagner. There have to be deals to be made out there if we are floating Gagner or Hemsky as the bait with the way that they have been playing offensively this season.
I agree..I only advocate an overpayment as that may be what it takes due to trading within the division. I believe it would be worth it in both the long and short term. As much as I like Gagner, ROR is the better fit and now is the time.

If we got lucky and they took Gagner and another minor prospect, all the better.

And on a wish list...a 26 yr old Yandle for Hemsky and a high end D prospect or 1st round....
Something to the NYR for Boyle.....

Hartikainen-RNH-Yakupov
Hall-ROR-Eberle
MPS-Boyle-

Schultz-Yandle
Petry-Smid

Nice looking core....IMO...

Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Honest question, who is the better winger, Gagner or Hemsky? Hemsky IMO has a top end speed that Gagner will likely never have, neither have the greatest of shots, and neither are the biggest/strongest for winning puck battles. Which of the two fits better with Nail or Hall going forward?
Neither honestly. I'd like to see a power forward as a top 6 winger. There is a chance that Harski can become that but I don't think it will happen this year.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:51 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
This season Hemsky would be better, for the future I think Gagner would be a better fit. Hemsky is not what he used to be. He seems to show up some nights and other nights be invisible. Gagner is only getting better year in and out.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Heres a question for you guys, is anyone willing to trade RNH if Gagner woud resign for 4M per for 6 years? Go with Gagner as our number 1 and ask for a top 6 center and top 4 dman for RNH?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Perhaps they'd consider a lesser forward prospect and Klefbom?

Old
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Quote:
Heres a question for you guys, is anyone willing to trade RNH if Gagner woud resign for 4M per for 6 years? Go with Gagner as our number 1 and ask for a top 6 center and top 4 dman for RNH?
Id trade Hall before RNH.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:54 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
No. 1C is the most important position on the team next to goaltender and RNH has the potential to be one of the best.

You can't win a trade that sends him the other way.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Nope...Gagner is not a #1 C and you don't trade down..We already have a #1 C and we can get a top 4 D through creativity and using the assets we have. What we need is a better #2 C and a top 4 D...

Old
02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
BowDangles

On another note, I wonder how many teams try to stir up old deals that were shutdown by Howson in Columbus now that they have a new GM.

I hope the new guy comes in thinking he needs to remodel his team, just for entertainment purposes. Who do you guys think could be had from Columbus?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
One thing I positively hate is sending down one player over another just because of the waiver rule. MPS does not deserve to be sent down and in the long run it sends a bad message that even if you work on things, get better and play well you're going down because we don't want to lose such and such a player.

I'm sure it happens all the time but I find it highly annoying.
I wish they went to the old method, granted I don't know that it makes much of a difference for us this year. But if you sign a guy to a two-way deal, he should be able to clear waivers no problem.

Who is actually gaining by keeping a player on the roster that clearly should be in OKC, but you don't seen him down because you are worried about waivers. Only to see said player sit in the PB.

Be nice to have some 4th line vets that can go to OKC and back without having to worry that you might lose the player when you send him back to the minors.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:03 PM
jadeddog

i just don't understand why anybody would pay ROR the 4.5+ that he is asking for... before last year, he looked like a 3rd liner at best, and then he has ONE relatively good year, and all of a sudden he's worth what we paid hemsky when hemsky was a UFA? this is crazy talk

if his demands weren't COMPLETELY out to lunch, colorado would have signed him already.... ROR is asking for way, way, way too much money... i run screaming from a 4.5+ ROR contract (as colorado is doing right now)

Old
02-13-2013, 12:04 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Short term Hemsky, no question. Long-term could be Gagner if Hemsky has the injury bug again.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i just don't understand why anybody would pay ROR the 4.5+ that he is asking for... before last year, he looked like a 3rd liner at best, and then he has ONE relatively good year, and all of a sudden he's worth what we paid hemsky when hemsky was a UFA? this is crazy talk

if his demands weren't COMPLETELY out to lunch, colorado would have signed him already.... ROR is asking for way, way, way too much money... i run screaming from a 4.5+ ROR contract (as colorado is doing right now)
Yep, and then people are going to wonder why teams end up with bad contracts.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:06 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
No. 1C is the most important position on the team next to goaltender and RNH has the potential to be one of the best.

You can't win a trade that sends him the other way.
I agree its probably not a great option, but depending what the other team is offering would it be something you'd consider? Like say St. Louis calls and offers Berglund and Shattenkirk for RNH do you take the deal? Or what about if Phoenix calls offering Hanzal+Yandle for RNH do you take the deal? I think if the right deal comes along I'd make it even though we lose the best player in the deal. It should make our overall team harder to play against and would make us more competitive IMO.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY

Brian Boyle for Ryan Whitney. Book it.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:10 PM
MinnesotaFats

ROR to NYI makes sense. They have tons of cap room to give him the contract he wants and the have an unhappy El Nino who wants out. Lots of young roster players on that team that could be packaged with El Nino too.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:14 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Because he's young, tremendously good in his own end, and can put up points when given a skilled winger.

If Eberle, Hall, and Skinner are worth $6 million, ROR is worth $4.5 million.

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

People need to give up on ROR. Colorado's unlikely to deal him to a Western rival and even less likely to deal him within the division. If Colorado were doing better they might let him go for cheaper but with them sitting at the bottom of the conference it's a long shot.

Old
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People need to give up on ROR. Colorado's unlikely to deal him to a Western rival and even less likely to deal him within the division. If Colorado were doing better they might let him go for cheaper but with them sitting at the bottom of the conference it's a long shot.
Divisions won't be nearly so relevant as soon as next season.

But we definitely would have to give up more for him than an Eastern team. I think we have the assets to do it with 2 surplus top 6 forwards and a deep prospect pool.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
misfit

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You don't do quality for quantity trades if you don't have to, and if you're trading a #1C for two players, you're giving away the best player in the deal. Not only that, but also one of the most difficult things to replace.

Keep RNH and find other ways to add depth and/or size up front. Trading our young 19 year old #1C for anything short of a better young #1C is beyond foolish.

02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Divisions won't be nearly so relevant as soon as next season.
Yes but I doubt Colorado is looking that far ahead right now.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:17 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

we are on the same page, 2 players that are severly overrated on these boards are ROR and ryan clowe,

Closed Thread