HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People need to give up on ROR. Colorado's unlikely to deal him to a Western rival and even less likely to deal him within the division. If Colorado were doing better they might let him go for cheaper but with them sitting at the bottom of the conference it's a long shot.
We have the assets to overpay for ROR and, IMO, we should..This is one of those rare opportunities when the 'perfect fit' player is available and we should be making every reasonable effort to optain him.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i just don't understand why anybody would pay ROR the 4.5+ that he is asking for... before last year, he looked like a 3rd liner at best, and then he has ONE relatively good year, and all of a sudden he's worth what we paid hemsky when hemsky was a UFA? this is crazy talk

if his demands weren't COMPLETELY out to lunch, colorado would have signed him already.... ROR is asking for way, way, way too much money... i run screaming from a 4.5+ ROR contract (as colorado is doing right now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Yep, and then people are going to wonder why teams end up with bad contracts.
4.5 is not bad for a long term contract for ROR...His demands are out to lunch on that team because Duchesne took less..When we're going to be paying our top players at the $6m range, $4.5 works for 5-6 years....

Old
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I agree its probably not a great option, but depending what the other team is offering would it be something you'd consider? Like say St. Louis calls and offers Berglund and Shattenkirk for RNH do you take the deal? Or what about if Phoenix calls offering Hanzal+Yandle for RNH do you take the deal? I think if the right deal comes along I'd make it even though we lose the best player in the deal. It should make our overall team harder to play against and would make us more competitive IMO.
It's really a tough line to draw, especially with RNH being so young.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
4.5 is not bad for a long term contract for ROR...His demands are out to lunch on that team because Duchesne took less..When we're going to be paying our top players at the $6m range, $4.5 works for 5-6 years....
He hasn't proven enough to be worth 4.5M, he should sign a 2 year deal and prove that he's worth it. Then in 2 years if he continues at the pace he was at last year he gets a big long term deal.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:24 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree its probably not a great option, but depending what the other team is offering would it be something you'd consider? Like say St. Louis calls and offers Berglund and Shattenkirk for RNH do you take the deal? Or what about if Phoenix calls offering Hanzal+Yandle for RNH do you take the deal? I think if the right deal comes along I'd make it even though we lose the best player in the deal. It should make our overall team harder to play against and would make us more competitive IMO.
My answer would be an easy "HELL NO!" on both accounts.

02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Would Slats trade for ROR and then deal him here? We'd obviously have to pay him a premium but I'd be down with that. If Brian Boyle is in the dog house and we could do a combination trade of say ROR and Boyle for Gagner, Hemsky, and Belanger. Maybe they move Callahan for ROR so their bottom line looks like:

Boyle, Callahan, small asset
Gagner, Hemsky, and Belanger

Then our team looks like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-ROR-Paajarvi
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Horcoff-Petrell

A little less flash and dash and less scoring in our top 6, but that IMO looks like a pretty well balanced forward group. Or perhaps we switch RNH and ROR around and that would balance the scoring a little better?

02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Shawn Horcoff was able to say the same, what happens when that offense disappears?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
He hasn't proven enough to be worth 4.5M, he should sign a 2 year deal and prove that he's worth it. Then in 2 years if he continues at the pace he was at last year he gets a big long term deal.
Subban style.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Would Slats trade for ROR and then deal him here? We'd obviously have to pay him a premium but I'd be down with that. If Brian Boyle is in the dog house and we could do a combination trade of say ROR and Boyle for Gagner, Hemsky, and Belanger. Maybe they move Callahan for ROR so their bottom line looks like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-ROR-Paajarvi
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Horcoff-Petrell

A little less flash and dash and less scoring in our top 6, but that IMO looks like a pretty well balanced forward group. Or perhaps we switch RNH and ROR around and that would balance the scoring a little better?
We get hosed on this deal... I think Belanger alone can get you Boyle right now... So you are basically saying Hemsky and Gagner for ROR... way too much of an overpayment.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
It's really a tough line to draw, especially with RNH being so young.
Yea thats the only thing that scares me, how good is he going to look in 4 or 5 years. But then on the other hand will we be able to wait 4 or 5 years for him to develop, and what if he doesn't develop? Out of all the kids I think he has the highest chance of not hitting his potential.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:30 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
Subban style.
Exactly, sign 2 years at 3M per and go from there.

Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Heres a question for you guys, is anyone willing to trade RNH if Gagner woud resign for 4M per for 6 years? Go with Gagner as our number 1 and ask for a top 6 center and top 4 dman for RNH?

Whaaaat???

No.

Old
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Shawn Horcoff was able to say the same, what happens when that offense disappears?
ROR is 22 and has a lot more offensive potential than a Horcoff did..Horcoff always looked like a 3rd line player to me...despite the 'odd' time he put up 2nd line points..

Old
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
joestevens29

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-ROR-Paajarvi
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Horcoff-Petrell

Move Callahan is a no go. They have zero reason to move him. He is one of their main PK players, hits, scores, assets he's everything. You don't move him unless you are getting an elite player in return.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
People need to give up on ROR. Colorado's unlikely to deal him to a Western rival and even less likely to deal him within the division. If Colorado were doing better they might let him go for cheaper but with them sitting at the bottom of the conference it's a long shot.
Which is why many people are suggesting a 3 way deal with an eastern club.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

You're comparing ROR to Shawn Horcoff?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:34 PM
raab
Where's the Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Which is why many people are suggesting a 3 way deal with an eastern club.
It's not going to happen, people should just drop it.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-ROR-Paajarvi
Hartikainen-Boyle-Jones
Eager-Horcoff-Petrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
We get hosed on this deal... I think Belanger alone can get you Boyle right now... So you are basically saying Hemsky and Gagner for ROR... way too much of an overpayment.
I would do it..At some point we have to stop losing and acquiring assets..Let's use some of those assets now to get a better team for the short and long term..despite the over-payment...which would be required I'm sure.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
ROR is 22 and has a lot more offensive potential than a Horcoff did..Horcoff always looked like a 3rd line player to me...despite the 'odd' time he put up 2nd line points..
I'm just not ready to give the assets required to acquire him and the contract that it's going to take.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
I'm just not ready to give the assets required to acquire him and the contract that it's going to take.
And that's fair..I, on the other hand, would give up the assets because I have little faith that the OIL won't simply waste them piece by piece for lesser returns than all at once for that asset that we currently require (and is apparently available for the right price).
I would also be fine with paying the 4m - 4.5m...

It's a gamble but I think we have the assets to do it...Does ST have the desire and gonads..most likely not...It's like politics..The easiest thing in the world is do nothing and sit on the status quo..That way you're neither right nor wrong in the majority of the voters. This is where I see ST.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:51 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
ROR is 22 and has a lot more offensive potential than a Horcoff did..Horcoff always looked like a 2nd line player to me when he signed...despite the 'odd' time he put up 1st line two-way-center points..
Fixed... we can harp on how badly the contract turned out... it was for too long for a player at the peak of his prime (therefore declining). But 70 points as a 2wayC and consistent 50+ points are the hallmarks of a very good 2nd line center, who can fill in on the first line when required.

I'm all for criticizing inactivity to address our needs, but let's not revise history... unless you *really do* expect your 3rd line center to put up 55 points a year?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
If I had to guess, It will take at minimum something like Hemsky + Marincin to get ROR out of Col.

If they are trading within the division, they will make sure it hurts the team to get ROR.

I like ROR, but the big contract and the assets likely needed to get him make him a little undesirable to me.

I also think we need a more pressing upgrade on the blueline. Something to bring in a puck moving D-man(who can play D) and has a big shot. It's something we're missing. I also think it's far smarter for us to try grab a gritty winger who can score around the crease(driving to the net consistently would be a big plus).

ROR is too expensive for us imo, in terms of contracts and assets.

02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
It's not going to happen, people should just drop it.
Well...you're the one that proposed trading RNH. That isn't going to happen, so why bother posting that nonsense?

Old
02-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Gagner will likely ask for 4 mill or north of that next year. If you move him and pay ROR an extra mill or so, I'm not sure what the problem is salary wise. Of course, the return can't be stupid either.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
we are on the same page, 2 players that are severly overrated on these boards are ROR and ryan clowe,
Are you kidding? The most over-rated players on this board tend to be Oiler players/propects.

Closed Thread