HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Kennedy recalled (Desjardins to IR; activated off IR 2/19)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 06:13 PM
  #51
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Remember how everyone kept saying Burish would be a fan favorite? The dude has to be the most invisible player on the team. I never notice him on the ice, off the ice, or anywhere besides capgeek when I'm trying to get under the cap.

When I've made a point of looking for him, aside from the PK, he does nothing of any note on the ice. Frankly I noticed Pelech quite a bit more (not just because he's a giant either) because he was at least out there getting in peoples faces. Is this guy just another in a long line of agitators that comes to the Sharks for their career to die?
Burish hasn't been that guy since his Blackhawk days. His fight last night was his first in a few years. Sharks haven't had an agitator since Scotty Nichol. Pelech was noticeable..first shift tries to kill a Jacket and fights their tough guy. Did his job.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
  #52
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin
 
zombiekopitor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Best Coast
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Good to see TM has no problem dropping him down, meanwhile Clowe continues to get top six minutes (including a bump up to the top line!) and a bunch of PP time despite playing like **** the entire year.
Maybe they're trying to improve his trade value, we can only hope...not sure it's helping though
for **** and grins
Marleau-Jumbo-Pavelski
Galiardi-Couture-Havlat
Sheppard-Handzus-Wingels
Clowe-Gomez-Burish
idk if this Kennedy fellow will dress tonight, but they should try TJ in the top 6, can't get much worse then it's been

also
I think Burish has been pretty decent, he provides energy and doesn't take shifts off like alot of other guys have been. Plus he's really been solid in the Pk as well, didn't expect him to score a bunch of goals, I was actually expecting alot less

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
  #53
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
Burish doesn't fit our team. Todd doesn't play a physical smash mouth game like other teams. He may be good on the PK but for 1.8m he's useless.
Burish is living off a reputation he had with the Blackhawks.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:16 PM
  #54
domon
Registered User
 
domon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Can someone provide a scouting report on Kennedy?

domon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:17 PM
  #55
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Curious to your reasoning for having Clowe with Thornton. I'm not a fan at all of that duo.

Personally, I want to see Galiardi or Wingels with Thornton for a couple games just to see if they're remotely compatible. That would do wonders for our depth if one of them were.



Well, I'm not blaming Pelech so much as the coaching staff.
Clowe and Thornton should, in theory, dominate the cycle. I also feel a little bad saddling Thornton with so little talent; Clowe's decent enough.

It shouldn't be a secret that I've always hoped to recreate the Ekman-Thornton-Cheechoo magic, even if that means that "Cheechoo" is only getting 30 goals and not 50. Havlat-Thornton-Wingels is kind-of like that...Clowe is like Bell-Thornton-Cheechoo (horrible ineffectiveness aside).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:41 PM
  #56
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
The biggest problem I have with McLellan is his irrevocable favoritism. When looking at the Sharks top 6 I have a hard time understanding how Havlat can be viewed as the 6th best forward. Of all the top 6 forwards he's the only one who's ever placed on the 3rd line, or lower as we saw last night. He's also on the 2nd powerplay unit which somehow is devoid of shooters, except maybe Burns, and he wasn't there at the beginning of the season. I think it's a total waste of talent to have someone of Havlat's skill level not being put in the best situation to succeed. It hurts the player and it hurts the team.

I don't get it either. Havlat has to be on one of the top two lines because of his skillset, that shouldn't even be up for debate (and it definitely shouldn't be up for debate if it's between him and Clowe). I think McLellan often values size and physicality over speed and skill, which is surprising since he was the with the freakin Red Wings before he got here.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 06:43 PM
  #57
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robes of Teal View Post
Maybe they're trying to improve his trade value, we can only hope...not sure it's helping though

Yeah that seems to be one of the theories as to why him and Murray continue to get ice time over more deserving players. Makes sense, but only time will tell I guess.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:06 PM
  #58
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, I understand that. But it's a stupid decision to ice goons. I like fighting, but I don't like icing guys who are there just to fight.
Well, when you're a head coach you can decide not to.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:08 PM
  #59
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by domon View Post
Can someone provide a scouting report on Kennedy?
Top line AHLer that needs to play with skilled line mates to shine.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:29 AM
  #60
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Top line AHLer that needs to play with skilled line mates to shine.
Really, that isn't too bad. SJ has plenty of players who cannot shine with skilled line mates, so Kennedy really is a breath of fresh air.

Just watched the third period; thought he looked good. Was also really impressed by Shepard.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 AM
  #61
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!
 
Negatively Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5,827
vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
Really, that isn't too bad. SJ has plenty of players who cannot shine with skilled line mates, so Kennedy really is a breath of fresh air.

Just watched the third period; thought he looked good. Was also really impressed by Shepard.
Seriously. The dude has been working his ass off. He deserves a goal. Can they bench Burish for once? Please. He's useless. The Sharks can't score so they need to put as many players with offensive skill out there as possible and hope someone can pot one. Burish has a 0.000000000001% chance of scoring so get him out of there.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:49 AM
  #62
Phu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,777
vCash: 500
Shepard is seriously due.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:09 AM
  #63
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Seriously. The dude has been working his ass off. He deserves a goal. Can they bench Burish for once? Please. He's useless. The Sharks can't score so they need to put as many players with offensive skill out there as possible and hope someone can pot one. Burish has a 0.000000000001% chance of scoring so get him out of there.
Watch Burish score a hattrick next game.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:41 AM
  #64
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Watch Burish score a hattrick next game.
At this point..I don't care who is scoring.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:51 AM
  #65
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Burish was brought here to be a hard worker, which he is. He does great PK work. He apparently is great in the locker room and skates hard every shift. He was NOT brought here to score. We have plenty of guys that score. We don't have enough "sandpaper" guys. Now that we aren't scoring, the onus falls on him??

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
  #66
do0glas
Registered User
 
do0glas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,019
vCash: 500
Burish is over paid, but he's doing his job. I'd be curious to see his corsi though.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:37 AM
  #67
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Burish is over paid, but he's doing his job. I'd be curious to see his corsi though.
It's horrible, as is anyone who has played on that 4th line along w/ Murray.

The highlighted part of this is Corsi Relative...

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

The problem is, all of Bursh, Desjardins and Galiardi have historically been able to stay at least semi close to even in Corsi and Gomez well above even.

The 4th line is my one gripe with the coaching this year. I don't think you could find two players that shouldn't ever play together more then Gomez and Burish.

They need to either go w/ a traditional 4th line or a 'skilled' 4th line 'cus what they're doing isn't working.


Last edited by stalockrox: 02-13-2013 at 09:46 AM.
stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:03 AM
  #68
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
It's horrible, as is anyone who has played on that 4th line along w/ Murray.

The highlighted part of this is Corsi Relative...

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

The problem is, all of Bursh, Desjardins and Galiardi have historically been able to stay at least semi close to even in Corsi and Gomez well above even.

The 4th line is my one gripe with the coaching this year. I don't think you could find two players that shouldn't ever play together more then Gomez and Burish.

They need to either go w/ a traditional 4th line or a 'skilled' 4th line 'cus what they're doing isn't working.
This would be my lineup based on skillset/chemistry I've seen so far:

Sheppard - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Kennedy - Handzus - Wingels
Galiardi - Gomez - Desjardins

The problem is I can't find a place to put Clowe in that, and I'm not saying that just because I'm dissapointed with Clowe. While Sheppard isn't a 1st line player, I think that line could use a tenacious forechecker, good skater, and someone who is creative with the puck. I've yet to catch the guy taking a shift off, and while it seems unorthadox, I think it might work. The 2nd line could double as a 1st line, 3rd line has speed surrounding Handzus and I liked what I saw from Kennedy. He's fast, he works hard, and he's good with the puck. He's also pretty elusive. 4th line is a 'rat' line who's sole intention should be puck possession and driving the other team nuts.

There are certainly spots we could 'upgrade' but Clowe, or Burish, does not seem to fit in there very well. Burish could fill in for either wingers on the 3rd and 4th lines, but Clowe just looks like an anchor anywhere you stick him.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #69
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This would be my lineup based on skillset/chemistry I've seen so far:

Sheppard - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Kennedy - Handzus - Wingels
Galiardi - Gomez - Desjardins

The problem is I can't find a place to put Clowe in that, and I'm not saying that just because I'm dissapointed with Clowe. While Sheppard isn't a 1st line player, I think that line could use a tenacious forechecker, good skater, and someone who is creative with the puck. I've yet to catch the guy taking a shift off, and while it seems unorthadox, I think it might work. The 2nd line could double as a 1st line, 3rd line has speed surrounding Handzus and I liked what I saw from Kennedy. He's fast, he works hard, and he's good with the puck. He's also pretty elusive. 4th line is a 'rat' line who's sole intention should be puck possession and driving the other team nuts.

There are certainly spots we could 'upgrade' but Clowe, or Burish, does not seem to fit in there very well. Burish could fill in for either wingers on the 3rd and 4th lines, but Clowe just looks like an anchor anywhere you stick him.
I would put gomez between kennedy and wingles

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:35 AM
  #70
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
It's horrible, as is anyone who has played on that 4th line along w/ Murray.

The highlighted part of this is Corsi Relative...

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

The problem is, all of Bursh, Desjardins and Galiardi have historically been able to stay at least semi close to even in Corsi and Gomez well above even.

The 4th line is my one gripe with the coaching this year. I don't think you could find two players that shouldn't ever play together more then Gomez and Burish.

They need to either go w/ a traditional 4th line or a 'skilled' 4th line 'cus what they're doing isn't working.


Someone please help me out with this Corsi stuff. Is Clowe's rating so high because he plays primarily with Couture? And why is Stuart's rating so low? He's been solid so far.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:41 AM
  #71
stalockrox
Registered User
 
stalockrox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Someone please help me out with this Corsi stuff. Is Clowe's rating so high because he plays primarily with Couture? And why is Stuart's rating so low? He's been solid so far.
It's simply a net of all shots directed at the net (for and against).

Clowe has always been a good puck possession player. I know people don't like the way he's playing but that hasn't really changed. He is helped by playing with other good players but that's the case with most top players.

Stuart and Vlasic playing together is what caused his low Corsi. The two of them are, and have been, very, very good in the defensive zone but they have problems moving the puck up the ice. They haven't given up a whole lot of quality chances but when you get stuck in your own zone the shots against tend to pile up.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
  #72
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail
 
Tkachuk4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
It's simply a net of all shots directed at the net (for and against).

Clowe has always been a good puck possession player. I know people don't like the way he's playing but that hasn't really changed. He is helped by playing with other good players but that's the case with most top players.

Stuart and Vlasic playing together is what caused his low Corsi. The two of them are, and have been, very, very good in the defensive zone but they have problems moving the puck up the ice. They haven't given up a whole lot of quality chances but when you get stuck in your own zone the shots against tend to pile up.

Thanks for the info. I just don't see the puck possession that you're talking about with Clowe. He's a turnover machine, can't receive a pass to save his life, and is much worse along the boards than in years past. If Corsi is calculated based on shots for/against, then I would chalk his high rating up to playing with Couture, who's been all over the place thus far, and his inordinate amount of PP time. The Stuart/Vlasic stuff makes a bit more sense though.

Back to the topic, I'll echo the sentiments in here and say that Kennedy was great last night. His speed alone should keep him in the lineup for the time being.

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #73
Admiral*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
This would be my lineup based on skillset/chemistry I've seen so far:

Sheppard - Thornton - Pavelski
Marleau - Couture - Havlat
Kennedy - Handzus - Wingels
Galiardi - Gomez - Desjardins

The problem is I can't find a place to put Clowe in that, and I'm not saying that just because I'm dissapointed with Clowe. While Sheppard isn't a 1st line player, I think that line could use a tenacious forechecker, good skater, and someone who is creative with the puck. I've yet to catch the guy taking a shift off, and while it seems unorthadox, I think it might work. The 2nd line could double as a 1st line, 3rd line has speed surrounding Handzus and I liked what I saw from Kennedy. He's fast, he works hard, and he's good with the puck. He's also pretty elusive. 4th line is a 'rat' line who's sole intention should be puck possession and driving the other team nuts.

There are certainly spots we could 'upgrade' but Clowe, or Burish, does not seem to fit in there very well. Burish could fill in for either wingers on the 3rd and 4th lines, but Clowe just looks like an anchor anywhere you stick him.
Kennedy has played one game so far and you are already penciling him in on the 3rd line and saying he has chemistry with other players? I know you said they are your ideal lines, but there is no way Clowe sits in the press box. As bad as he has been, he still has 6 points (assists) which is more than anybody in the bottom six and provides a ruggedness that nobody else on the team does. My lines would be:

Marleau - Thornton - Pavelski
Sheppard - Couture - Havlat
Clowe - Gomez - Wingels
Galiardi/Pelech/whoever - Desjardins - Burish

Not sure about that 3rd line with Clowe and Gomez both pass first, and also not sure about Wingels as the triggerman, but I think it's worth a shot.

Admiral* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #74
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Thanks for the info. I just don't see the puck possession that you're talking about with Clowe. He's a turnover machine, can't receive a pass to save his life, and is much worse along the boards than in years past. If Corsi is calculated based on shots for/against, then I would chalk his high rating up to playing with Couture, who's been all over the place thus far, and his inordinate amount of PP time. The Stuart/Vlasic stuff makes a bit more sense though.

Back to the topic, I'll echo the sentiments in here and say that Kennedy was great last night. His speed alone should keep him in the lineup for the time being.
The Corsi we're talking about is based on ES play, but I agree with the rest. His boardwork has improved the last few games, but it really hasn't been great (Couture's boardwork has been great though). And Clowe can't catch a pass to save his life.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:44 PM
  #75
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,346
vCash: 500
The knock on Kennedy prior to his arrival in teal was that he was not strong on his stick. Good playmaker but a player where NHL dmen have a relatively easy time taking the puck off of his stick.

On Corsi, you have to look at qualcomp. A true shutdown pair (what they tried to do with Vlasic/Stuart) will be near an even Corsi. They aren't and I fault Vlasic based on the eyeball test. Outlets die on his stick whereas Stuart has been above average for stopping the opposition AND turning it around. Vlasic gets the stop but not the puck. It is OK for a shutdown not to be showing positive Corsi, but he should be near even.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.