HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Giroux is quite possibly the worst player in the NHL

Old
02-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Couturier Post

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I wonder if Giroux's wrist surgery has to do with his slump... he lacks the "soft hands" right now.
If he were having wrist problems he wouldn't be dominating faceoffs like he has been. It must be something else. Perhaps after-effects of the concussion he got in Germany.

Couturier Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Leino was a setup guy for Briere's sniping ability, as was Prospal for the short time he was here. Briere plays his best with a playmaker.

I recall several games where JvR, Carter, and Zherdev were absolutely untouchable in the offensive zone with speed, size, and danglitis. Now that it's been brought up, I'm sure Giroux got plenty of shifts in there too.
Briere plays best with a player that knows how to protect the puck..he then jumps into the holes. Also good behind the net. Leino was good at protecting the puck his first year...then he committed more turnovers later. Prospal was also good at protecting the puck and setting up.

G is a set up type but Jagr complemented G pretty well b/c of his puck protecting skills.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:44 AM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Briere plays best with a player that knows how to protect the puck..he then jumps into the holes. Also good behind the net. Leino was good at protecting the puck his first year...then he committed more turnovers later. Prospal was also good at protecting the puck and setting up.

G is a set up type but Jagr complemented G pretty well b/c of his puck protecting skills.
Briere should be playing with voracek. He has those skills you are talking about. Maybe Briere-Schenn-Voracek

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Has Giroux forced a breakaway yet this year? I can barely remember any legit odd man rushes that he's been involved in. I'd feel better if he were hitting posts and missing open nets, but he doesn't even look like the same player. I don't see flashes of anything, I don't even notice him on the ice. I think he was playing at a higher level 3 years ago.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
I don't believe in curses or jinxes, but the "Captain's Curse" is making it hard to keep that up.

02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Has Giroux forced a breakaway yet this year? I can barely remember any legit odd man rushes that he's been involved in. I'd feel better if he were hitting posts and missing open nets, but he doesn't even look like the same player. I don't see flashes of anything, I don't even notice him on the ice. I think he was playing at a higher level 3 years ago.
He's competent defensively and a decent faceoff guy now; he was neither of those things three years ago.

Last season elevated our expectations for Giroux exponentially... and if he's not putting up points, everyone thinks he looks like he's regressed. He has started the season slowly on the offensive end, but there are positives in his all-around game; the points will come.

02-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He's competent defensively and a decent faceoff guy now; he was neither of those things three years ago.

Last season elevated our expectations for Giroux exponentially... and if he's not putting up points, everyone thinks he looks like he's regressed. He has started the season slowly on the offensive end, but there are positives in his all-around game; the points will come.
He's much better at faceoffs, but defensively he doesn't seem any different. Unless you want to include faceoffs as part of defense, then he definitely has improved.

It isn't that he is just not producing, he's not doing anything offensively. He's completely invisible, and maddeningly frustrating to watch on the PP. He's one of the most talented players in the world, and an amazing PP player, and all he does is stand 8 feet from Timonen and pass the puck to him.

Last year he would draw people towards him and slip the puck to an open Timonen, but he'd also take the puck to the slot, or throw it down low to cause some havoc. This year all he does is give the puck to Timonen, who isn't as open as last year because teams are playing the pass more without the threat of Giroux doing anything else.

He has 8 points in 14 games, on pace for 47 in 82 games, after being a PPG player for around 200 games. That's the same amount of points he had 3 years ago, and with way less ice time and Asham on his wing. Normally, I wouldn't care because it's just 14 games, but he isn't creating chances, or doing anything positive offensively. He's the third best player on a line of him Matt Read and Wayne Simmonds. I think he needs a break from the game. One of those early season week between games things would do him good, but unfortunately he doesn't have that luxury this year.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
He's much better at faceoffs, but defensively he doesn't seem any different. Unless you want to include faceoffs as part of defense, then he definitely has improved.

It isn't that he is just not producing, he's not doing anything offensively. He's completely invisible, and maddeningly frustrating to watch on the PP. He's one of the most talented players in the world, and an amazing PP player, and all he does is stand 8 feet from Timonen and pass the puck to him.

Last year he would draw people towards him and slip the puck to an open Timonen, but he'd also take the puck to the slot, or throw it down low to cause some havoc. This year all he does is give the puck to Timonen, who isn't as open as last year because teams are playing the pass more without the threat of Giroux doing anything else.

He has 8 points in 14 games, on pace for 47 in 82 games, after being a PPG player for around 200 games. That's the same amount of points he had 3 years ago, and with way less ice time and Asham on his wing. Normally, I wouldn't care because it's just 14 games, but he isn't creating chances, or doing anything positive offensively. He's the third best player on a line of him Matt Read and Wayne Simmonds. I think he needs a break from the game. One of those early season week between games things would do him good, but unfortunately he doesn't have that luxury this year.
Jagr on his wing allowed Giroux time and space which is lethal...on the PP...Hartnell as a threat in the slot allowed G time and space. G right now has less time and space and is being keyed in on. He is at the critical stage of having to adjust to his opposition's adjustments which have been made more difficult b/c of G's new personnel. What he is dealing with is somewhat normal and understanding but yeah he needs to fight through it...getting frustrated doesn't help. It's actually good to see his D and faceoffs have been better so at least he is not totally regressing..he's just trying to adjust and given his talent I think he will especially if he gets more support.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:49 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Jagr on his wing allowed Giroux time and space which is lethal...on the PP...Hartnell as a threat in the slot allowed G time and space. G right now has less time and space and is being keyed in on. He is at the critical stage of having to adjust to his opposition's adjustments which have been made more difficult b/c of G's new personnel. What he is dealing with is somewhat normal and understanding but yeah he needs to fight through it...getting frustrated doesn't help. It's actually good to see his D and faceoffs have been better so at least he is not totally regressing..he's just trying to adjust and given his talent I think he will especially if he gets more support.
That's true, but I feel like Grioux was taking command of the situation last year, where as this year he's differing to others. He had much more of an "I want the puck" mentality. Even though he was mainly a passer, he still dominated the play.

That play he had short handed where he got the puck away form 2 players and then hit the open man for a shot was reminiscent of himself last year. That's just one of maybe a handful of plays where he's done something like that this year.

The lack of talent around him may have something to do with it, but I don't know how teams would only now be focusing on stopping Giroux. If they weren't doing it by the middle of last year they were stupid.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
toughfighter83*

giroux isnt a superstar goal scorer like primeau, he's more like briere where most of his goals come from rebounds or breakaways. since he hasnt had a breakaway, he's non existent.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
The lack of talent around him may have something to do with it, but I don't know how teams would only now be focusing on stopping Giroux. If they weren't doing it by the middle of last year they were stupid.
They were focusing on him but now it's more pronounced due to lack of support compared to last year...

Old
02-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
giroux isnt a superstar goal scorer like primeau, he's more like briere where most of his goals come from rebounds or breakaways. since he hasnt had a breakaway, he's non existent.
Primeau? He has two 30 goals seasons, only one with the Flyers. The rest of his time spent here he had less than 20 goals per season. I wouldn't call him a superstar goal scorer.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:10 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

Put him on waivers for cap space and give Lilja 6m x 5 year deal please? Giroux is as good as Rinaldo without the physical play!!!

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedba View Post
Put him on waivers for cap space and give Lilja 6m x 5 year deal please? Giroux is as good as Rinaldo without the physical play!!!

i just hope they dont give him alot of money because it's really going to hurt the cap and with him not playing the way he should be playing, it could another waste of space.

toughfighter83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
FlyingHigh28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
i just hope they dont give him alot of money because it's really going to hurt the cap and with him not playing the way he should be playing, it could another waste of space.
I'm assuming you're being sarcastic here, but even if you're not, your post gave me a rather naughty idea . If Giroux continues to play poorly for the rest of this year, might it actually be a blessing in disguise for the Flyers? A (very) down short-season in 2012-2013 could set the table for us to sign Giroux at a price well under that of other NHL superstars. I'm not saying we're going to get him for $4M long term or something like that, but we could see a 1M-1.5M decrease from what we might've been expected to pay him. That'd be pretty sweet.

A down year that sees us missing the playoffs, us getting a lottery pick, B. Schenn taking a big step forward, Bryz playing like a stud, and us signing G for cheap in the off-season wouldn't exactly be the worst thing ever...

FlyingHigh28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Pretty obvious....

Quote:
Hartnell’s absence has really impacted Claude Giroux, who had eight games this season without a point. He picked up an assist on Tuesday. He needs that big guy with the long, red locks to create some space for him on the ice.

“Obviously, the other teams are keying on Claude right now, doubling on him,” Holmgren said. “He’s missing his left wing, who helps a lot. Scotty is a key for Claude and a key for our team. He needs him to create a little space for him.”

Wayne Simmonds missed three games with a concussion and is trying to get back into being a physical guy who picks up points at the net.

“With Wayne coming back and getting a couple games under is belt will be beneficial to Claude,” Holmgren said. “I look for him to get going now. You can’t ask Claude to try harder because he is trying his hardest right now. Other teams are doing a good job on him. I feel the underneath guys now need to do a better job.”

Coach Peter Laviolette has been juggling his lines regularly to try and find chemistry and make up for lost bodies due to injury.

http://www.csnphilly.com/flyers/holm...ing-major-move

Old
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
SwedisHab
Slim Shady

I'm sorry but how long will Hartnell be out for? is there any set time for when he should probably be back?

SwedisHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
qalex

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedba View Post
I'm sorry but how long will Hartnell be out for? is there any set time for when he should probably be back?
I read on NHL.com that he was seeing the doc on Friday and hoping to be cleared to skate again at that meeting. Then with rehab, training and possibly getting used to a new set of protectors (I read an interview a bit ago in which he said he'd been told he might need to alter his style a little, to protect the foot from reinjury) he's hoping it would be a return in mid-March.

I agree Giroux's missing someone he can reliably assist - after all, of his 93 points last year, the overwhelming majority were for assists, not goals. And without a reliable guy to pass to, or someone to create room for him on the ice when he's being swarmed, he's only got so much he can do.

I also found this thread from last year - almost exactly a year ago. He was in a slump then, too. His faceoff stats this year are pretty phenomenal (Steve Ott can eat his heart out), so with Hartnell back and some more room to play hopefully his confidence will pick up. I can't help thinking that's also a big part of the problem, along with losing Jagr, who was a massive boost to his self-belief by all accounts. When he's been golden, he's also been a chirpy little madam. As my grandma used to say. Once they get on more of a roll, I would imagine he'll regain that sheer love of being out there and doing his thing. They played well last night, I think, and they were straight off a nasty defeat and a plane when they did it.

Edited to say he's terrible, will never get past this and is clearly cursed. Sorry, forgot the thread title!

Last edited by qalex: 02-13-2013 at 05:21 PM.
qalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
He used to be a fish out of water defensively; he's by no means a Selke candidate, but his defensive awareness and positioning have improved a lot over the last couple of seasons.

Note: he can still be quite lazy on the back check.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:37 PM

vCash: 50
His D has improved no end this season. He's gone from capable to useful.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
His D has improved no end this season. He's gone from capable to useful.
Both Giroux and Briere, actually. Not that Briere could have gotten worse.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Cuiff

G sucks. Ill trade him away for the 210th pick in the draft

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2013, 04:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Giroux might just end up being a better player as a result of this. Refining his defensive awareness and commitment is probably the best thing to happen to him. Just wait until he gets Hartnell back and a right winger on the line that can finish as well. He might just end up being the best all around player in the NHL as a result. I love what Datsyuk does, but I think G might become even better because of this. Personally, I think it's good when players struggle a bit. It forces them to reinvent themselves in other areas of their game. If Giroux ends up becoming just as good defensively as he is offensively, he's going to be a nightmare.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
I thought habs fans were harsh on their players, then I came here and my eyes are now open.

So would you guys be willing to trade Giroux for Travis Moen and a 7th round pick in 2014?

Alexdaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I thought habs fans were harsh on their players, then I came here and my eyes are now open.

So would you guys be willing to trade Giroux for Travis Moen and a 7th round pick in 2014?
Screw a trade. Two words: firing squad.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote