would you do

1st, Bennett, Niskanen?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Flames92

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I always root against u guys this year not because i dislike Calgary at all just because i want u guys to be out of so we have a shot at iggy. You guys know your team alot better then I do but just from being a hockey fan it dont seem like that would be a bad thing for your teams future u guys have alot of pieces that can get prosp and picks and its a great draft if u get a top pick u guys could really get good in a hurry.
Obviously what I want the most is for this team to make the playoffs. But Im starting to think the odds of that happening are getting slim. With the injuries we got from some of our key players I don't know exactly where this team is going. I grew up as a kid idolizing Iggy and I would hate to see him go.

But if we are out of it I would like to see a rebuild, and for Iggy to win a cup. If I had to choose a team that I would want Iggy to play on it would definitely be the Penguins. Im also a Crosby fan and those two played great together for Canada in 2010. I still think a team like St.Louis would be a better trade partner though given that they have some pretty good prospects that the Flames could very well be interested in. Either way I wish nothing but the best for this guy, I hope that if he does get traded, he wins a cup and comes back to finish his career in Calgary.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:07 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
would you do

1st, Bennett, Niskanen?
I would do a 1st Bennett and a prospect. I really dont wanna trade any of our def on the roster now we lost strait on waivers who the fans really liked alot and already signed a 3 year deal with NYI and we just traded lovejoy who isent anything great but we lost alot of our depth. Im probably in the minority of our fans when it comes to bennett most of our fans wanna hold on to him because hes really our only forward prospect and he has skill. Hes small and always injured though and to me I see him ending up like a steve sullivan type of player.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:17 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames92 View Post
Obviously what I want the most is for this team to make the playoffs. But Im starting to think the odds of that happening are getting slim. With the injuries we got from some of our key players I don't know exactly where this team is going. I grew up as a kid idolizing Iggy and I would hate to see him go.

But if we are out of it I would like to see a rebuild, and for Iggy to win a cup. If I had to choose a team that I would want Iggy to play on it would definitely be the Penguins. Im also a Crosby fan and those two played great together for Canada in 2010. I still think a team like St.Louis would be a better trade partner though given that they have some pretty good prospects that the Flames could very well be interested in. Either way I wish nothing but the best for this guy, I hope that if he does get traded, he wins a cup and comes back to finish his career in Calgary.
Ya the thing is with the shortened season theirs a chance u guys could be just holding onto a playoff spot or be a couple points out that would be a tough situation for your gm to be in. Worst case scenario you guys hold onto your players miss the playoffs loss iggy for nothing and dont get a top 10 pick it would be a tough call. I hope for your guys sake that your either clearly in the playoffs or clearly out.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
Ya the thing is with the shortened season theirs a chance u guys could be just holding onto a playoff spot or be a couple points out that would be a tough situation for your gm to be in. Worst case scenario you guys hold onto your players miss the playoffs loss iggy for nothing and dont get a top 10 pick it would be a tough call. I hope for your guys sake that your either clearly in the playoffs or clearly out.
Yea its been like this for 3 years very, very frustrating. But IMO if its one year that Iggy could get traded, this is the year. He's on the last year of his contract so he doesn't have to commit to the team hes traded to and if its one year that Id like to rebuild its this year. Its a short season so it won't be too painful, and the draft is "supposedly" a good one.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:48 PM
Flames92

Reimer apparently has a lower body injury, possible trade partner for one of our goalies?

Old
02-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames92 View Post
reimer apparently has a lower body injury, possible trade partner for one of our goalies?
luuuuuuuuuuu

Old
02-13-2013, 12:48 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

I'm going to make a trade proposal that I believe a lot of people on here will dislike:

Giordano
Backlund

for

O'Reilly
2nd 2013

Very rarely does a 21 yr old talent C become available via trade... For years the Flames have struggled down the middle, and probably own the worst 1,2,3 down the middle. Although O'Reilly isn't a natural #1 C (could develop into one..) He's definitely a solid #2 with grit... (ala Kesler, J.Staal, etc.)

Darren Dreger stated the Avs will want a good roster player, and good prospect.. Hence Giordano/Backlund. Acquiring a early 1st 31-40 helps level the value, and makes up for the 2nd lost in the Cammy trade.

This may just fix one problem and create another, but I believe it's worth it for a young/talented C.

Last edited by F l a m e s: 02-13-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I'm going to make a trade proposal that I believe a lot of people on here will dislike:

Giordano
Backlund

for

O'Reilly
2nd 2013

Very rarely does a 21 yr old talent C become available via trade... For years the Flames have struggled down the middle, and probably own the worst 1,2,3 down the middle. Although O'Reilly isn't a natural #1 C (could develop into one..) He's definitely a solid #2 with grit... (ala Kesler, J.Staal, etc.)

Darren Dreger stated the Avs will want a good roster player, and good prospect.. Hence Giordano/Backlund. Acquiring a early 1st 31-40 helps level the value, and makes up for the 2nd lost in the Cammy trade.

This may just fix one problem and create another, but I believe it's worth it for a young/talented C.
Backlund's offensive potential is still higher than O'Reilly's. And given the way he's playing, moving him doesn't make sense. Plus, if the Flames want to be strong down the middle, the organization needs to add to Backlund, not exchange a centre for another centre. Nor can the Flames afford to lose Giordano - there's no one in the system that can replace what he does.

Besides, the Avalanche won't move O'Reilly within the division without serious overpayment. The roster + top prospect is the price for Eastern teams.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:29 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:

Giordano
Backlund

for

O'Reilly
2nd 2013

Pass would do Gio for ROR but not trading Backlund. Having Backlund and ROR we have a great 1 2 for centermen for a long time.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:

Giordano
Backlund

for

O'Reilly
2nd 2013

Yikes..this guy is unsigned who knows what kind of money he is asking for and I am not interested in inking this guy for 5 mill for 5 years, when he could turn into the next Stajan. I would MAYBE move Giordano for him straight up. Thats it.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:20 PM
BVicious

Not a big fan of players who hold out because of money/term. Could be playing to help his team but instead he is pouting at home cuz 3.5million isn't enough.

Pass.

I like players who will play cuz they have a passion to compete. Not only those who play well in contract years.

Show me 2-3 years of consistent play then yea you can have 5.5million.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
Not a big fan of players who hold out because of money/term. Could be playing to help his team but instead he is pouting at home cuz 3.5million isn't enough.

Pass.

I like players who will play cuz they have a passion to compete. Not only those who play well in contract years.

Show me 2-3 years of consistent play then yea you can have 5.5million.
You mean like Iginla?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Stewie Griffin
( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)

vCash: 20039
I'd only trade Giordano if a near-NHL ready defenseman is coming via another trade (say Despres or Morrow from the Penguins for Iginla)

I'm on the fence about trading Backlund. His seeming lack of durability is starting to bother me, just a little.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:25 PM
Flames92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I'd only trade Giordano if a near-NHL ready defenseman is coming via another trade (say Despres or Morrow from the Penguins for Iginla)

I'm on the fence about trading Backlund. His seeming lack of durability is starting to bother me, just a little.
Lets hope Baertschi doesn't follow in his footsteps

Old
02-13-2013, 04:00 PM
F l a m e s
#winitforgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Backlund's offensive potential is still higher than O'Reilly's. And given the way he's playing, moving him doesn't make sense. Plus, if the Flames want to be strong down the middle, the organization needs to add to Backlund, not exchange a centre for another centre. Nor can the Flames afford to lose Giordano - there's no one in the system that can replace what he does.

Besides, the Avalanche won't move O'Reilly within the division without serious overpayment. The roster + top prospect is the price for Eastern teams.
I don't understand how you can make a statement like that? What evidence thus far suggests that his offensive potential is higher? I don't see it.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
You mean like Iginla?
I was unaware that Iginla missed games in the season due to contract disputes.

Huh

Old
02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
I don't understand how you can make a statement like that? What evidence thus far suggests that his offensive potential is higher? I don't see it.
Just a matter of potential as far as I see it. People may point to O'Reilly's 55 point season last year as a hallmark, but at the same time, he was playing on the first line with Landeskog, along with all other opportunities that entails, including getting prime powerplay minutes. Backlund on the other hand, enjoys no such luxuries - 12 or less minutes a night is the norm and with little to no PP time and a large degree of separation in the quality of linemates (prior to this season). If Backlund was given first line minutes consistently, who knows what he could do.

Also, Tangradi was traded for a 7th rounder to the Jets. Got to laugh at the Penguins fans trying to build a trade for Iginla around him as a principle piece. At least he won't be coming back anymore.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post

None of them have been chronic injuries, though, so it could be bad luck (I can guarantee that the broken hand was bad luck) more than anything.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I was unaware that Iginla missed games in the season due to contract disputes.

Huh
Not to the same level and Iginla was class act about it (as always but he did hold out)

Quote:
When you think of players holding out for new contracts, you often think of selfish players who care only about themselves. You donít think of players like Jarome Iginla. However, Iginla entered the 1999-2000 season without a contract. While he still attended training camp (even buying his own insurance in case of injury) he still missed the preseason and the first three games of the season due to the hold out. He eventually re-signed with the Flames and returned to action. There were fears that he would hold out again in 2002, but that didnít happen as Iginla decided to return to Calgary.
source: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...-new-contract/

Players that holdout aren't doing it just for the money it is the respect that comes with the big contract that they want, ROR wants the respect and money that comes with being his teams best player last year.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Sean Monahan
JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED

pretty sure Alfie held out too when the Sens didn't want to pay him yet

Old
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
BVicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Not to the same level and Iginla was class act about it (as always but he did hold out)

source: http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2011/0...-new-contract/

Players that holdout aren't doing it just for the money it is the respect that comes with the big contract that they want, ROR wants the respect and money that comes with being his teams best player last year.
Yea I see your point. Still shocked about iginla. How much did he holdout for?

Old
02-13-2013, 07:43 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Yea I see your point. Still shocked about iginla. How much did he holdout for?
5 million over 3 years I believe.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:32 PM
BVicious

Like 2.3 million per season? For a guy we traded our multi 50 goal scorer / captain / best center to ever wear a flames jersey?

That's hardly a comparable to ROR, who isn't nearly as regarded as Jarome was.

Still he sat out which sucks. And I don't agree with it, especially for money. Term is one thing

Old
02-13-2013, 08:39 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Like 2.3 million per season? For a guy we traded our multi 50 goal scorer / captain / best center to ever wear a flames jersey?

That's hardly a comparable to ROR, who isn't nearly as regarded as Jarome was.

Still he sat out which sucks. And I don't agree with it, especially for money. Term is one thing
Iginla was coming off a 51 point year a year older than ROR.

Closed Thread