HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Jack Edwards

Old
02-13-2013, 11:15 AM
EastCoastNiner

vCash: 500
The people that dislike Jack Edwards can generally only point to a few reasons why they don't like him, and they are often misguided.

Fights, hits, and talk about fourth line players sometimes. That's about the only time where you won't get the completely honest truth, but even then it's not that bad.

If you had a fan of the game who has never listen to Jack Edwards and had them listen to a few of his games, I really think they would love him if they listened to the game without any preconceived notions. He's extremely knowledgable about the game, shows a lot of emotion for both the Bruins and the opposition, and often defers to Brickley to answer some technical questions about the game.

I absolutely love him as the Bruins commentator, and I think the people that dislike him just dislike him because other people do for few reasons, they want to jump in on the hate train, or have no clue what they are talking about.

EastCoastNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post

I bet he's doing the same reaction when Lucic drop the gloves or when Chara hit Pacioretty.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 02-13-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: nope
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
ARSix

Having homer commentators is fine as long as they're up front about it. Edwards couldn't be more up front than saying his team have the hearts of lions. It's the slimy dinks who pretend to impartiality while consistently homering it up, calling trips by their team dives by the opponents, calling clearly lost fights a toss-up, openly musing that opposing goals shouldn't count for dubious reasons... it's those guys that are the problem with homer announcers.

The weird thing with Edwards is I find he has an inexplicable crush on certain players on the other team. Like Lundqvist. He seems to love Henrik. I don't think this call could've been made any better:

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
TCL40

I love Jack Edwards-I think he is definitely a homer and can get carried away at times, but he makes me laugh and I like the fact that he at least knows who the other team's players are and keeps them straight. Doc can't do that and it drives me nuts.

I also admit that I the one thing I hated most about the Stanley Cup final was having to listen to the NBC broadcast team call the games.

Jack is a homer, but he loves hockey and is passionate about the sport. Brick IMO is one of the best color commentators in the business.

It would be interesting to hear Jack call a game where the Bruins weren't involved as a neutral play by play. I think he would probably be well prepared and very entertaining and would probably surprise some of the haters.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:27 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfresh429 View Post
You must not hear him often...he is a B's fan, no doubt, but I think he is more of a hockey fan in general. He often sounds equally excited about the other team scoring as he does the B's. Definitely the same emotion for goals against as goals for...

I freaking love Jack Edwards..haters can suck it.
100%

only problem with HF is it doenst the support the popular 'but jack is the biggest unprofessional homer idiot' announcer evaaaa theme.

bb_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I usually avoid him like the plague but when the NBC feed cut off I had to watch the Boston feed for about a period. He's a good play by play guy, there's no doubt about it. There aren't many as skilled as he is, and the duo of him and Brickley is one of the better ones I've heard. Having GCL for the first time this year has caused me to realize just how many commentators are awful and to really appreciate those with talent.

He's definitely a homer though... and I get why some of you say that's fine, that it's what he's supposed to be, but it's a little too much at times. When bias prevents you from making the right calls, when opinion triumphs fact, it's just not the right move. Especially when it influences your fan-base. It definitely does. We all have some less intelligent people cheering for our team, and they tend to be the most openly hostile and vocal unfortunately. So in that respect it's a little too much.

Overall it wasn't too bad last night. Some comments were really funny. That Boston accented "he's such a homah" was hilarious. It's awesome that he's a true fan and a great sportscaster, it's just a little too much at times. But hey, no one's perfect and I'd rather listen to him than about 5 other teams I've heard so far this year. Biased skill > unbiased idiocy.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
Habitant by heart

As a Montreal fan, he seems to hate on 2 teams generally (especially in the playoffs) which are the Habs and the Canucks.

Apart from that, when he does commentate, he is usually a very good commentator and his excitement for the game is also great. (not only the bruins, but for both teams on the ice).

I think the reason why some Habs fans hate him is the way he commentates in playoffs against us, then again, our broadcasts do the same thing. So it goes both ways.

Overall, great job by JE

Habitant by heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:45 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Jack has a way of calling the play by play like he's on a radio broadcast instead of a tv crowd. I really enjoy it...on play by play talent alone, he's one of the best.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
BostonBruins92
Closer to the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant by heart View Post
As a Montreal fan, he seems to hate on 2 teams generally (especially in the playoffs) which are the Habs and the Canucks.

Apart from that, when he does commentate, he is usually a very good commentator and his excitement for the game is also great. (not only the bruins, but for both teams on the ice).

I think the reason why some Habs fans hate him is the way he commentates in playoffs against us, then again, our broadcasts do the same thing. So it goes both ways.

Overall, great job by JE
Bingo. I can fully understand why Habs/Canucks fans would hate him, but I absolutely love him.

BostonBruins92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:15 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Well he is a confessed Bruins fan, and there is no bigger rivalry in sports than the Bruins/Habs one-so it makes sense that Jack is going to be at his most homerish.

And Jack isn't the only homer local broadcaster. I don't think it is a sin when being paid by the local broadcast network to call the home teams games to be a homer.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
habsrule4eva3089

One of the best in the game, he brings such a personality to his profession, wish more commentators were up front as this guy is, love when he says, such a homer...GET OVER IT! hahaha so true, all the people complaining need to step out of their little bubble and grow up.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Friggin' love Jack Edwards, dude is the perfect Bruins pbp-guy.

Slightly OT, but I have no idea why teams' announcers shouldn't be a bit homer. If I'm watching the Bruins' feed, I'm excepting the announcer to root for B's, not for the opposition.

Canes' announcers got praise earlier in HF because apparently they don't let their fandom shine through. I'd personally hate that if I was a Canes fan.

NESN is first and foremost for Bruins fans and JE is a man who loves his hockey. Can't ask for more.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I don't care if an announcer is a homer so long as it doesn't cloud their judgement.

02-13-2013, 01:03 PM
MtlPenFan

Mentioned this before, but he easily has the most enthusiastic goal calls for the opposition, unlike the rest who sound like they're reading a traffic report when the enemy scores.

When Nash scored his shootout goal, he basically sounded like it was one of the Bruins making the call. I can appreciate that.

Is he a homer? Sure, but so is everyone else. At least he's not ashamed to admit it.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
I bet he's doing the same reaction when Lucic drop the gloves or when Chara hit Pacioretty.
One would hope so.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:34 PM
ARSix

Quote:
I don't think he's ever called a single Bruins / Canucks playoff game. Maybe he's called 2 or 3 in the regular season.

ARSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:36 PM
TCDaniels
Legen... Wait for it

Quote:

Overall, great job by JE
He does hate the Habs... Although WAY differently than the way he hates the Canucks... (Same, I'd think, as most Bruins fans)

I think we all are programmed to hate the Habs. Our parents do it when we're still infants. We're showed pictures of all the evil things in life: The Boogeyman, Drunk Drivers, Heinz Doofenshmirtz, and The Habs. We're played endless loops of the too-many-men call while being given slight electric shocks, and meanwhile fed clips of the Stan Jonathan / Pierre Bouchard fight while being tickled and cuddled.

But the fact of the matter is - and Jack will fully admit this (in fact he has - on the air during games) - The Habs have an absolutley astounding legacy. Some of the greatest players, and some of the greatest TEAMS in Hockey history have been Habs.

So, while Jack is hating on the Habs (GET UP HAMRLIK!!!) - he's doing it in the perspective of a bigger backdrop... I don't remember the incident (Hamrlik... or Kovalev rolling around while Glem Murray scored, maybe?) but the way he put it: "What must the great Jean Beliveau be thinking right now". You know - Kind of a "C'mon - you guys are better than that"

But he's a B's fan - so he HAS to hate the Habs. But it's a respectful hate.

The Canucks don't have the history with the Bruins that the Canadiens do... (nor the level of success - both individually and as a team) So the level of respect isn't there. The hatred here is pretty much based on one playoff series... One that featured finger-biting and percieved whining and diving all around...

Big difference when compared to a "For Christ sake... Why the hell can't we beat these guys in the playoffs ?!?!?" type of hate.

TCDaniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatThePuck View Post
I was watching the NESN feed for the Bruins-Rangers game and I thought he called it really good , he must like the Rangers a bit cause he didn't go overboard with the homerism .
He literally gives props to any and every team. It's just that people either don't listen to enough of him to realize that or simply don't care and enjoy continuing the lie that he's a 100% homer.

To me a homer would be someone who complains about every single call that goes against their team, specifically downplays good plays from the other team and is barely audible when the other team scores.. Jack Edwards isn't that.

I guarantee you that if it were the other way around last night and the Rangers came back from being down 0-3 with the goalie pulled twice, he would have called it with just as much excitement. Now, he probably wouldn't have been jumping in the box ( ) but he most definitely would have gone crazy.

The guy loves his job and he loves hockey.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 01:54 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
One would hope so.
This was his Paccioretty incident call:

Nothing over the top about it.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

02-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Glad to find Hf has fixed the youtube thing.

Was I the only one whose fullscreen button was broken when I tried to watch embeded youtube videos from Hf?

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
OHMYGOD. Jack Edwards..... awesome.

His jumping was a little "Pierre-esque" honestly, and his call about their "hearts of lions" sounds like something I would have said when I was playing NHL2000 and commentating for my team, but hey, good for him. He has his dream job, and I respect the passion he has for it.
I think Timbo Slice nails it here. Wish we were all so lucky to truly love what we do. Love or hate JE (it's usually one or the other) nobody can deny he loves his job!

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-13-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: [/B][/QUOTE]
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Flyersfan139

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastNiner View Post
The people that dislike Jack Edwards can generally only point to a few reasons why they don't like him, and they are often misguided.

Fights, hits, and talk about fourth line players sometimes. That's about the only time where you won't get the completely honest truth, but even then it's not that bad.

If you had a fan of the game who has never listen to Jack Edwards and had them listen to a few of his games, I really think they would love him if they listened to the game without any preconceived notions. He's extremely knowledgable about the game, shows a lot of emotion for both the Bruins and the opposition, and often defers to Brickley to answer some technical questions about the game.

I absolutely love him as the Bruins commentator, and I think the people that dislike him just dislike him because other people do for few reasons, they want to jump in on the hate train, or have no clue what they are talking about.
I hated him the first few times I heard him call a game but after getting game center this year and hearing him call an entire game that was not against my team changed my opinion of him. I liked seeing him get so excited the other night, thats probably exactly how most Boston fans felt at the time as well so they certainly wont have a problem with it. If its not on national TV the announcers have no obligation not to be biased imo.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Probably, on the former...... and so what? JE certainly loves the scraps.

Absolutely not on the later. He and Brickley's reaction to Pacioretty hit was balanced, subdued, and respectful. Educate yourself by watching the video. You may just find your opinion changes.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:43 PM
bruinswincup
Black&Gold4ever!!!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bruinswincup Send a message via Skype™ to bruinswincup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Probably, on the former...... and so what? JE certainly loves the scraps.

Absolutely not on the later. He and Brickley's reaction to Pacioretty hit was balanced, subdued, and respectful. Educate yourself by watching the video. You may just find your opinion changes.
he's probably one of those maroons who wanted chara arrested

bruinswincup is offline   Reply With Quote