Notices

The Mike Yeo Firing Thread/Squad

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Gorgeous George

vCash: 500
I wouldn't fire the coach.

The Wild should try first to sign some high price free agents to put the puck in the net and work the point on the powerplay.

Gotta at least give this guy something to work with.

Old
02-11-2013, 11:07 PM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgeous George View Post
I wouldn't fire the coach.

The Wild should try first to sign some high price free agents to put the puck in the net and work the point on the powerplay.

Gotta at least give this guy something to work with.

Yeah I hate how we never sign any high priced FA's. Like imagine if we signed 1 or even 2 of the top guys on the market for one or two of those crazy 100 million dollar contracts.

Maybe someday right?

Old
02-11-2013, 11:14 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Yeah I hate how we never sign any high priced FA's. Like imagine if we signed 1 or even 2 of the top guys on the market for one or two of those crazy 100 million dollar contracts.

Maybe someday right?
Top tier talent cannot be swayed into signing here! Get out with that nonsense

Old
02-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Nsjohnson

NYI had FOUR PP goals tonight.

We can't score one.

We look to be improving in some areas, but PP has just seriously regressed.

Old
02-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Beegoalie

Yeo has always had a brutal PP. I wonder who runs the PP on this team if its him or the more traditional way(assistant coach).

Something I may hafto run by mr. Russo..

Old
02-12-2013, 12:54 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Yeo has always had a brutal PP. I wonder who runs the PP on this team if its him or the more traditional way(assistant coach).

Something I may hafto run by mr. Russo..
I think Sydor does...

Old
02-13-2013, 09:30 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I think we're getting close to the point where Yeo is going to be shown the door.

It's one thing to expect the front office to take a patient approach, it's another to expect them to sit idly by and watch a roster full of players who are all under performing; more or less.

As for who they could bring in at this point, no earthly idea. Maybe just an interim guy. But it's starting to become more clear that Yeo may just not be the guy for the job and watching his team, it's hard to point to something that's working out under him.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
02-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Same crap, different coach. Outside the failure on the PP I guess. Well, the team is slightly better in getting shots on goal than years past.

I'm warming up to it, very slowly, with the reservation that there is nobody out there that I want coaching the Wild more than Yeo. If that changes...

Old
02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Sportserie

I read a comment from a non-Wild fan a few days ago somewhere on this site (my memory sucks, I can't remember where) that said the Wild will never win anything until they get rid of Yeo. I just found that interesting. Could he/she been reading this thread? Maybe, or maybe this person truly believes Yeo is the problem.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:08 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Same crap, different coach. Outside the failure on the PP I guess. Well, the team is slightly better in getting shots on goal than years past.

I'm warming up to it, very slowly, with the reservation that there is nobody out there that I want coaching the Wild more than Yeo. If that changes...
If a solid coach pops up this summer I'd like GMCF to grab him, but I don't want to Fire Yeo just to Fire Yeo.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:14 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Maybe it's time to consider our options.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We don't hardly have any options though. Put Sydor, Darby, or Rick Wilson in charge?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd also be curious about potential coaching changes and how they impact the roster. Parise and Koivu seem like good fits up front, Suter, Brodin, and Gilbert look good on the back end. Would a change in system benefit the others while hurting the above players, or would they be equally effective?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:59 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
As there are no good, proven coaches out there, I would still wait out this year.

It sounds like there are at least a couple good coaches who's contracts will be up this year, and maybe we could make a run at them.

I do have to admit, back when we were deciding which coach to initially hire, I was really hoping for Laviolette. I like his style...

Yeo does look a little behind at times. He is not good at adapting during the game, and his PP has always been known to suck.

It's too bad that these areas have not shown improvement. He seems like the kind of guy who would work on his weaknesses any way possible. Unfortunately we have an entire team, with many players who have pretty good individual skill, that is just simply not producing.

The fact that we have scored only 1 goal in 8 games so far this year, is very disturbing...

Old
02-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd also be curious about potential coaching changes and how they impact the roster. Parise and Koivu seem like good fits up front, Suter, Brodin, and Gilbert look good on the back end. Would a change in system benefit the others while hurting the above players, or would they be equally effective?
I don't think it would hurt them. Really good players can adapt to almost any system. They may struggle at first, but if/when they buy the idea, they'll adapt pretty quickly. The most important thing is to make them believe in it and that requires a coach with credibility. That doesn't necessarily mean an experienced cup-winning coach, but a smart guy who knows how to handle these players.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
THEALLKNOWING*

Fire Yeo, then bring-up Torchetti as interim because of "the system." Should be the same system to prepare Aeros to come-up.

Then, if it Torchetti doesn't work between now and season's end, there will be options from the existing coaches around the league. It may appear to be an attractive job considering talent and pool, one in which a good coach may get excited about.

Fletch probably has a bit more runway to stay than Yeo, considering what he has done. At the same time, he likely is starting to feel the heat.

Bottom-line for Leipold: have to fill the seats. I don't care what anyone says, the Suter/Parise euphoria will wear off if the results are the same.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:31 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
I'm just really glad most of the posters on here are not the GM or owner of the Wild. Holy sky is falling.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Granlund 64

I agree... if this were a typical beginning to the season we would have played one or two games at this point.

Every team is scrambling at some level. The Blues are in the midst of a 5 game stretch where they are giving up over 5 GPG. FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

People need to realize that these are extreme circumstances and what this team had done to this point should not be used as a predictor for future team success.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:41 PM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
I agree... if this were a typical beginning to the season we would have played one or two games at this point.

Every team is scrambling at some level. The Blues are in the midst of a 5 game stretch where they are giving up over 5 GPG. FIRE EVERYONE!!!!!!!

People need to realize that these are extreme circumstances and what this team had done to this point should not be used as a predictor for future team success.
What about the decline last year?

Old
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post

And I think the Sharks have lost 6 in a row now (but still managed to scrape a few loser points).

Old
02-13-2013, 12:45 PM
BuddyMcCormick

What people fail to realize, is that even though we're not playing up to par yet, is that we're still in 10th place and just 1 point from being in the playoffs. There's no need to panic yet. We've seen come glimpses of success when everyone is on the same page. We just need to get there consistently.

Granted we've come so close to scoring on numerous occasions and haven't. I would bet my next paycheck that turns around in the near future if I didn't need it.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

If Yeo is shown the door, I'd love to see what Tippet could do with this squad. Assuming Phoenix moves north and he opts to stay stateside.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

We're at the one-quarter mark of the season. This is a very normal time for GMs to start making assessments and adjustments. (I want to say it was Brian Burke who held to that rule like it was religious dogma.)

I was sort of at the "sky is falling" point like four games in, though, because these games don't exist in a vacuum. They're part of a big pattern that stretches back well before the beginning of the season. The problem is that our roster has completely turned over and dramatically improved...and yet we're struggling in exactly the same ways we were last March when we had stretches with five Houston Aeros on the ice. Players are hustling and working their butts off but not generating any chances from it. Tiring themselves out so that other teams can score effortlessly by pouncing off a quick defensive lapse. Creative players who can manufacture chances are taking junk shots, while less-creative players who are being fed golden opportunities are making an extra pass instead of putting it on net. Looking at how little has changed despite signing another team's captain who's one of the hardest working purest scoring forwards in the game, adding three first round pick rookies, and an all-star defenseman who can play half a game...starting to think it's gotta be a system issue.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:31 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
We're at the one-quarter mark of the season. This is a very normal time for GMs to start making assessments and adjustments. (I want to say it was Brian Burke who held to that rule like it was religious dogma.)

I was sort of at the "sky is falling" point like four games in, though, because these games don't exist in a vacuum. They're part of a big pattern that stretches back well before the beginning of the season. The problem is that our roster has completely turned over and dramatically improved...and yet we're struggling in exactly the same ways we were last March when we had stretches with five Houston Aeros on the ice. Players are hustling and working their butts off but not generating any chances from it. Tiring themselves out so that other teams can score effortlessly by pouncing off a quick defensive lapse. Creative players who can manufacture chances are taking junk shots, while less-creative players who are being fed golden opportunities are making an extra pass instead of putting it on net. Looking at how little has changed despite signing another team's captain who's one of the hardest working purest scoring forwards in the game, adding three first round pick rookies, and an all-star defenseman who can play half a game...starting to think it's gotta be a system issue.
I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree. We get no chances from it? Talk about exaggeration.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:40 PM
THEALLKNOWING*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I'm just really glad most of the posters on here are not the GM or owner of the Wild. Holy sky is falling.
You may be kidding yourself if you think the owner has patience. Spend several hundred millions of dollars on two players with no results. Declining tickets sales over the past several years. Losing money 3 or 4 years. Free or paid entertainment for you and I, but its a business to him.

Fletch is already on his second coach. The strong start/injury laden season last year bought some time, as did rebuilding the talent pool, plus the addition of Suter Parise. Missing the playoffs this year, after missing them the past four, yikes. No more excuses for him. Definitely has more time than Yeo however.

Closed Thread