HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One thing I would not call MJ is lazy. He skates hard and doesn't coast.

He is 22. Its not far fetched to think that he can gain that weight over the next couple years.

Again it seems alot of us have differening thresholds of patience. I've seen enough in this 22 year old and nothing to me suggests or warrants parting ways just yet.
So based on the fact that he has not added muscle in 2 years as a professional, you project that he will add muscle over the next two years.

Got it.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
So based on the fact that he has not added muscle in 2 years as a professional, you project that he will add muscle over the next two years.

Got it.
He added 10 lbs last off-season (remember, I thought it was 10 kg?).

Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Well sure seems like you think he will be a bust!

If we get him back to playing his speed game and he gets his confidence back then why trade him?

I don't like giving up on young promising players. John Oduya and Jason Allison immediately come to mind.

I wonder how the Calgary Flames feel about giving up on a young promising Martin St Louis who has become a cornerstone of a franchise?

Undersized, lacked strength, confidence and production as part of the flames. They cut ties and BAM he becomes an MVP caliber player.

Its worth it to take the risk of holding onto him. He does have upside
I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm not convinced, with the talent we have coming up at forward that we have a spot for him. Maybe, but if we can fill a real hole... hello top 4 D using him as part of a trade, well, you have to give to get.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm not convinced, with the talent we have coming up at forward that we have a spot for him. Maybe, but if we can fill a real hole... hello top 4 D using him as part of a trade, well, you have to give to get.
If we can get a top 4 physical D then yeah sure. I'd give up more than MJ for that.

But its not happening. Those players (so I have been told NUMEROUS times over the years) "don't grow on trees"

MJ is currently more valuabe to us than he would fetch in a trade. Simple as that.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

George is probably finally starting to get a good nights sleep seeing Riberio is outscoring Eakin. Probably didn't sleep much since that blockbuster deal (for him).

Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He added 10 lbs last off-season (remember, I thought it was 10 kg?).
10 OUNCES....

Maybe he added 10lbs, but certainly not any strength..(by all appearances so far).

Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
10 OUNCES....
Might as well have been for all the good it did him.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If we can get a top 4 physical D then yeah sure. I'd give up more than MJ for that.

But its not happening. Those players (so I have been told NUMEROUS times over the years) "don't grow on trees"

MJ is currently more valuabe to us than he would fetch in a trade. Simple as that.
PURE speculation...or as my brother used to say "talking out of your ass because your mouth knows better"....

And I do say this in a teasing, bust your balls kind of way, not with anger.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
PURE speculation...or as my brother used to say "talking out of your ass because your mouth knows better"....

And I do say this in a teasing, bust your balls kind of way, not with anger.
It normally would be speculation but I am pretty much ALWAYS right. This is proven...science and all.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George is probably finally starting to get a good nights sleep seeing Riberio is outscoring Eakin. Probably didn't sleep much since that blockbuster deal (for him).
Eakin has looked good from the Stars games I've seen. Last night he had a nice break away but didn't score. In a few years he'll be a player.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Kekalainen named Jackets GM. Check off one of my darkhorses to replace McPhee.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Eakin has looked good from the Stars games I've seen. Last night he had a nice break away but didn't score. In a few years he'll be a player.
yeah i have heard good things and wish him well.

But it's rare that George moves a well respected prospect and think he lives in fear of getting burned by Eakin taking the league by storm.

It's grounds for dismissal!

I saw Eakin in camps etc and he looked good against peers (not so much Sjogren)

Ted: You let Eakin go for one year of Ribs and we missed the playoffs. now Ribs has signed with the Pens.
George: Yes Sir
Ted: I am out at HF using my normal cover (TXPD) and they are saying Eakin has looked good.
George: MJ recently added 10 pounds you know.
Ted: Get out.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
tycoonheart

lmao @ Ted being Tx

Old
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Yeah i figured he was a good choice since he is always wondering why everyone is so upset with the team

Old
02-13-2013, 01:40 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

We can read between the lines. You just called TXPD fat!

Old
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Try to imagine Ted getting into a race car.

Or the let's say, the drag on the car.

I rest my case.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I know you're on the Trade Ovechkin train, but if you can't see the business advantages that even a struggling Ovechkin has brought the franchise vs. what Semin brought....well you probably should excuse yourself from the discussion.

Two-time MVP

vs

One-time 40g scorer

The end.
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.
Excepting maybe George and Ted, since they made that choice

Old
02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

Well adding Semin would mean we also subtract Ribeiro in addition to the other guys.

I agree that I would have preferred they found a way to keep him and bring Ribeiro on board by getting rid of others but the lynch mob of reporters, players and fans already had their torches lit.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You know damn well the analysis goes WELL BEYOND a simple $7 mil a year tag. You're a bright boy. We don't need to spoon feed you the whole sordid history of Semin in every post so it makes sense to you do we?

The fact is, the Caps weren't willing to pay $7 mil for a 20g scorer who hadn't been the best teammate and example for the younger players over many years. Ovechkin doesn't have all the baggage that Semin has. That's what ultimately lead to the team parting ways.

Sure adding Semin would be nice from a talent boost, but if he's the same guy as last year, it would be an exercise in futility. And yeah...add Semin, subtract Ribeiro....you tell me which is better for the team.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Excepting maybe George and Ted, since they made that choice
They made the choice factoring $$$ into the equation not just on whether Semin would make the team better or not. This team is not pushing the cap for the first time in a few seasons now. I have to wonder why because there is no way IMO they thought, 'we're so good we don't need to spend to the cap'?

Last edited by Millhaus: 02-13-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more to say..
Old
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Well adding Semin would mean we also subtract Ribeiro in addition to the other guys.
No it wouldn't. Adding Semin at his current salary and subtracting Crabb still has this team under the cap.

The Caps are currently ~$6.3 mil under the cap...

Old
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
You know damn well the analysis goes WELL BEYOND a simple $7 mil a year tag. You're a bright boy. We don't need to spoon feed you the whole sordid history of Semin in every post so it makes sense to you do we?

The fact is, the Caps weren't willing to pay $7 mil for a 20g scorer who hadn't been the best teammate and example for the younger players over many years. Ovechkin doesn't have all the baggage that Semin has. That's what ultimately lead to the team parting ways.

Sure adding Semin would be nice from a talent boost, but if he's the same guy as last year, it would be an exercise in futility. And yeah...add Semin, subtract Ribeiro....you tell me which is better for the team.
You boiled it down to '$7 mil for 20 goals doesn't keep you around long.' If you had more to say you should have said it.

And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him. And Semin + Ribeiro - Crabb = under the cap.

So you tell me which is better for the team, Semin or Crabb +$6 mil in unused cap space...?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
You boiled it down to '$7 mil for 20 goals doesn't keep you around long.' If you had more to say you should have said it.

And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him. And Semin + Ribeiro - Crabb = under the cap.

So you tell me which is better for the team, Semin or Crabb +$6 mil in unused cap space...?
You're not taking into account how much community service Crabb does. It dwarfs Semin's contributions to the community. Real fans realize how important that is.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Kekalainen named Jackets GM. Check off one of my darkhorses to replace McPhee.
That would have required Ted knowing something about hockey.

Closed Thread