HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Death to the Undertaker....The all purpose Fire McPhee thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-13-2013, 12:18 PM
  #826
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One thing I would not call MJ is lazy. He skates hard and doesn't coast.

He is 22. Its not far fetched to think that he can gain that weight over the next couple years.

Again it seems alot of us have differening thresholds of patience. I've seen enough in this 22 year old and nothing to me suggests or warrants parting ways just yet.
So based on the fact that he has not added muscle in 2 years as a professional, you project that he will add muscle over the next two years.

Got it.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
  #827
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
So based on the fact that he has not added muscle in 2 years as a professional, you project that he will add muscle over the next two years.

Got it.
He added 10 lbs last off-season (remember, I thought it was 10 kg?).

ChibiPooky is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:20 PM
  #828
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well sure seems like you think he will be a bust!

If we get him back to playing his speed game and he gets his confidence back then why trade him?

I don't like giving up on young promising players. John Oduya and Jason Allison immediately come to mind.

I wonder how the Calgary Flames feel about giving up on a young promising Martin St Louis who has become a cornerstone of a franchise?

Undersized, lacked strength, confidence and production as part of the flames. They cut ties and BAM he becomes an MVP caliber player.

Its worth it to take the risk of holding onto him. He does have upside
I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm not convinced, with the talent we have coming up at forward that we have a spot for him. Maybe, but if we can fill a real hole... hello top 4 D using him as part of a trade, well, you have to give to get.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #829
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacapsfan View Post
I don't think he'll be a bust, but I'm not convinced, with the talent we have coming up at forward that we have a spot for him. Maybe, but if we can fill a real hole... hello top 4 D using him as part of a trade, well, you have to give to get.
If we can get a top 4 physical D then yeah sure. I'd give up more than MJ for that.

But its not happening. Those players (so I have been told NUMEROUS times over the years) "don't grow on trees"

MJ is currently more valuabe to us than he would fetch in a trade. Simple as that.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:28 PM
  #830
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,276
vCash: 50
George is probably finally starting to get a good nights sleep seeing Riberio is outscoring Eakin. Probably didn't sleep much since that blockbuster deal (for him).

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:40 PM
  #831
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
He added 10 lbs last off-season (remember, I thought it was 10 kg?).
10 OUNCES....


Maybe he added 10lbs, but certainly not any strength..(by all appearances so far).

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
  #832
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
10 OUNCES....
Might as well have been for all the good it did him.

ChibiPooky is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:42 PM
  #833
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
If we can get a top 4 physical D then yeah sure. I'd give up more than MJ for that.

But its not happening. Those players (so I have been told NUMEROUS times over the years) "don't grow on trees"

MJ is currently more valuabe to us than he would fetch in a trade. Simple as that.
PURE speculation...or as my brother used to say "talking out of your ass because your mouth knows better"....

And I do say this in a teasing, bust your balls kind of way, not with anger.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:50 PM
  #834
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
PURE speculation...or as my brother used to say "talking out of your ass because your mouth knows better"....

And I do say this in a teasing, bust your balls kind of way, not with anger.
It normally would be speculation but I am pretty much ALWAYS right. This is proven...science and all.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:52 PM
  #835
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
George is probably finally starting to get a good nights sleep seeing Riberio is outscoring Eakin. Probably didn't sleep much since that blockbuster deal (for him).
Eakin has looked good from the Stars games I've seen. Last night he had a nice break away but didn't score. In a few years he'll be a player.

IafrateOvie34 is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 12:57 PM
  #836
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,583
vCash: 500
Kekalainen named Jackets GM. Check off one of my darkhorses to replace McPhee.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
  #837
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,276
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
Eakin has looked good from the Stars games I've seen. Last night he had a nice break away but didn't score. In a few years he'll be a player.
yeah i have heard good things and wish him well.

But it's rare that George moves a well respected prospect and think he lives in fear of getting burned by Eakin taking the league by storm.

It's grounds for dismissal!

I saw Eakin in camps etc and he looked good against peers (not so much Sjogren)

Ted: You let Eakin go for one year of Ribs and we missed the playoffs. now Ribs has signed with the Pens.
George: Yes Sir
Ted: I am out at HF using my normal cover (TXPD) and they are saying Eakin has looked good.
George: MJ recently added 10 pounds you know.
Ted: Get out.

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:28 PM
  #838
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
lmao @ Ted being Tx

tycoonheart is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM
  #839
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,276
vCash: 50
Yeah i figured he was a good choice since he is always wondering why everyone is so upset with the team

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 01:40 PM
  #840
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,583
vCash: 500
We can read between the lines. You just called TXPD fat!

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:00 PM
  #841
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,276
vCash: 50
Try to imagine Ted getting into a race car.

Or the let's say, the drag on the car.

I rest my case.

RandyHolt is online now  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:12 PM
  #842
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I know you're on the Trade Ovechkin train, but if you can't see the business advantages that even a struggling Ovechkin has brought the franchise vs. what Semin brought....well you probably should excuse yourself from the discussion.

Two-time MVP

vs

One-time 40g scorer


The end.
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
  #843
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.
Excepting maybe George and Ted, since they made that choice

Ridley Simon is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:29 PM
  #844
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.
Well adding Semin would mean we also subtract Ribeiro in addition to the other guys.

I agree that I would have preferred they found a way to keep him and bring Ribeiro on board by getting rid of others but the lynch mob of reporters, players and fans already had their torches lit.

BobRouse is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 02:56 PM
  #845
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I am not in anyway on the Trade Ovechkin train. I still believe he will decide to do what it takes to become some semblance of his former self again.

I'm just pointing out that your simple dollars to goals analysis of why letting Semin go made sense doesn't hold water.

Adding Semin to this team and subtracting Wolski or Crabb makes this team a whole lot better and I don't think anyone would argue that.
You know damn well the analysis goes WELL BEYOND a simple $7 mil a year tag. You're a bright boy. We don't need to spoon feed you the whole sordid history of Semin in every post so it makes sense to you do we?

The fact is, the Caps weren't willing to pay $7 mil for a 20g scorer who hadn't been the best teammate and example for the younger players over many years. Ovechkin doesn't have all the baggage that Semin has. That's what ultimately lead to the team parting ways.

Sure adding Semin would be nice from a talent boost, but if he's the same guy as last year, it would be an exercise in futility. And yeah...add Semin, subtract Ribeiro....you tell me which is better for the team.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
  #846
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Excepting maybe George and Ted, since they made that choice
They made the choice factoring $$$ into the equation not just on whether Semin would make the team better or not. This team is not pushing the cap for the first time in a few seasons now. I have to wonder why because there is no way IMO they thought, 'we're so good we don't need to spend to the cap'?


Last edited by Millhaus: 02-13-2013 at 04:39 PM. Reason: more to say..
Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM
  #847
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well adding Semin would mean we also subtract Ribeiro in addition to the other guys.
No it wouldn't. Adding Semin at his current salary and subtracting Crabb still has this team under the cap.

The Caps are currently ~$6.3 mil under the cap...

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
  #848
Millhaus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
You know damn well the analysis goes WELL BEYOND a simple $7 mil a year tag. You're a bright boy. We don't need to spoon feed you the whole sordid history of Semin in every post so it makes sense to you do we?

The fact is, the Caps weren't willing to pay $7 mil for a 20g scorer who hadn't been the best teammate and example for the younger players over many years. Ovechkin doesn't have all the baggage that Semin has. That's what ultimately lead to the team parting ways.

Sure adding Semin would be nice from a talent boost, but if he's the same guy as last year, it would be an exercise in futility. And yeah...add Semin, subtract Ribeiro....you tell me which is better for the team.
You boiled it down to '$7 mil for 20 goals doesn't keep you around long.' If you had more to say you should have said it.

And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him. And Semin + Ribeiro - Crabb = under the cap.

So you tell me which is better for the team, Semin or Crabb +$6 mil in unused cap space...?

Millhaus is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 04:42 PM
  #849
Liberati0n
Full Hammock
 
Liberati0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,011
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
You boiled it down to '$7 mil for 20 goals doesn't keep you around long.' If you had more to say you should have said it.

And the 'Canes fans seem happy to have him. And Semin + Ribeiro - Crabb = under the cap.

So you tell me which is better for the team, Semin or Crabb +$6 mil in unused cap space...?
You're not taking into account how much community service Crabb does. It dwarfs Semin's contributions to the community. Real fans realize how important that is.

Liberati0n is offline  
Old
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
  #850
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Kekalainen named Jackets GM. Check off one of my darkhorses to replace McPhee.
That would have required Ted knowing something about hockey.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.