Notices

Roster/trade/etc discussion part IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

vCash: 500
I agree that Etem is not ready, but I don't mind a prospect on the 4th line with one or Staubitz or Beleskey and Bones. Preferably it's someone who doesn't hurt to sit in pressbox. So I would do:

Trade-Getz-Perry
Palmieri-Ryan-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-Maroon
Staubitz

Old
02-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

On that note I'd really like to see Getz and perry locked up soon so we could see if we could potentially go after another big winger that's more than just a rental. It's imperative that they are re-signed before that happens though.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Suddenly7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
On that note I'd really like to see Getz and perry locked up soon so we could see if we could potentially go after another big winger that's more than just a rental. It's imperative that they are re-signed before that happens though.
I agree the sooner we can get them signed the better. I don't want to drag this out and get Schultz again.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:57 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
I'm starting to really like Bobby at center, he's so much more involved in the game.

But I'd still like the Ducks to make a few moves:

Send Etem down. He's not ready for top 6 minutes, and playing on the 4th line is a waste.

X - Getzlaf - Perry
X - Ryan - Selanne
Winnik - Koivu - Cogliano
Beleskey - Bonino - X

Palmieri can play on the first or second line, but we still need another top 6 winger.

Staubitz should not be in the lineup every night. I'm fine playing him against certain teams, but we really need a player with more skill that still has size (if possible). Staubitz really limits the 4th line.

I'm willing to package Holland for a top 6 winger if Bobby continues to impress -- there simply wouldn't be any room for him in the future.

Thoughts?
I dont think Holland will be enough for a top 6, unless it is a rental.

I do agree with you about a top 6. Looking at our line up, it really begs for a Center, or Left wing to fill in the top 6, which could put us in a great position to compete. I think a Clowe type would be available to play with Getz and Perry. He (or a similar type player) would be perfect for a playoff series.

This keeps Ryan at center and allows our third line to stay. Our 4th line would be Bonino, Belesky , (staubitz/maroon/etem) depending on who we were playing.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:58 AM
OCSportsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
I agree that Etem is not ready, but I don't mind a prospect on the 4th line with one or Staubitz or Beleskey and Bones. Preferably it's someone who doesn't hurt to sit in pressbox. So I would do:

Trade-Getz-Perry
Palmieri-Ryan-Selanne
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-Maroon
Staubitz
You beat me to it. Just insert a Clowe type player on the first line and that would be a tough team to play in the playoffs.

If he could get rid of his dislike for Anaheim (and Beauch) I think Iginla would be great playing with Getz and Perry. They are in rebuilding and it would only be a rental so they might trade with us.

Last edited by OCSportsfan: 02-13-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

I'd like us to take a look at Kulemin and Iginla.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:26 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericnut View Post
I'd like us to take a look at Kulemin and Iginla.
God iginnla with the twins would be a scary line when perry starts clicing.

Getz top notch play making ability, Iginla top notch sniper, and perry top notch garbage player. They would wreck people on the cycle too. I dont no to much bout kulemin.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCSportsfan View Post
I dont think Holland will be enough for a top 6, unless it is a rental.

I do agree with you about a top 6. Looking at our line up, it really begs for a Center, or Left wing to fill in the top 6, which could put us in a great position to compete. I think a Clowe type would be available to play with Getz and Perry. He (or a similar type player) would be perfect for a playoff series.

This keeps Ryan at center and allows our third line to stay. Our 4th line would be Bonino, Belesky , (staubitz/maroon/etem) depending on who we were playing.
Ive mentioned guys like morrow, clowe wolski(sp?) on the main boards. If we could get him cheap, i wouldnt be completely against giving penner a shot, if it became a low risk high reward deal.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
airforceones25

Don't see the Ducks sending down Etem now. He's already played in 8 games effectively burning a year off his ELC if he goes down. Some will say its no biggy but it obviously is because look how the Ducks are treating the Rakell situtation. Right now I think it's just a matter of breaking him in to all situations. I fully expect to see him garner more ice time later in the year.

I can be totally off base here but this seems like the logical scenario to me.

edit.... I actually think he would lose the year either way now because of age. I think rule only applies to 18/19 year old players

Old
02-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Getz2perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceones25 View Post
Don't see the Ducks sending down Etem now. He's already played in 8 games effectively burning a year off his ELC if he goes down. Some will say its no biggy but it obviously is because look how the Ducks are treating the Rakell situtation. Right now I think it's just a matter of breaking him in to all situations. I fully expect to see him garner more ice time later in the year.

I can be totally off base here but this seems like the logical scenario to me.
nvm you got it lol

Old
02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Etem's on the clock no matter what. He's a pro.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:46 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Ive mentioned guys like morrow, clowe wolski(sp?) on the main boards. If we could get him cheap, i wouldnt be completely against giving penner a shot, if it became a low risk high reward deal.
I don't want Penner anywhere near this team, he doesn't fit the culture BB has tried to instil in the team (that is hard work), and to be frank, he's downright terrible.

Old
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Etem doesn't need to go anywhere. He skates faster than just about everyone on this team and he's effective when he's on the ice. Once he pots his first goal he'll really start contributing and I'm excited at that prospect.

Holland needs to be called up. I'm not opposed to Bobby at center but he's still more effective on the wing, especially with Koivu in the middle between him and Teemu. Let Holland center the fourth line and get Staubitz out of the lineup so we can roll four lines again.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I don't get the obsession with Penner. He's terrible, soft and lazy.

Last edited by Lord Flashheart: 02-13-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
Etem doesn't need to go anywhere. He skates faster than just about everyone on this team and he's effective when he's on the ice. Once he pots his first goal he'll really start contributing and I'm excited at that prospect.

Holland needs to be called up. I'm not opposed to Bobby at center but he's still more effective on the wing, especially with Koivu in the middle between him and Teemu. Let Holland center the fourth line and get Staubitz out of the lineup so we can roll four lines again.
Totally disagree.

I would ask, effective how? What has Etem done that is so effective? Skate fast? He clearly has the physical tools. I won't doubt that. But the last two games he has played 6 minutes a game. He doesn't play when anything is on the line. He should be playing 20 minutes a game in all situations and scoring goals in the AHL. Not sitting on the bench for 80% of NHL games.

Same for Holland, why bring him up to play 4th line minutes? How does that further his development? If you are looking for someone to simply be our 4th line C we could bring up anyone else or pluck someone off the waiver wire to fill that role.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
TheJoeMan
In Bob We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
Totally disagree.

I would ask, effective how? What has Etem done that is so effective? Skate fast? He clearly has the physical tools. I won't doubt that. But the last two games he has played 6 minutes a game. He doesn't play when anything is on the line. He should be playing 20 minutes a game in all situations and scoring goals in the AHL. Not sitting on the bench for 80% of NHL games.

Same for Holland, why bring him up to play 4th line minutes? How does that further his development? If you are looking for someone to simply be our 4th line C we could bring up anyone else or pluck someone off the waiver wire to fill that role.
Etem has been very effective getting to lose pucks and creating chances. He just hasn't buried any yet. His ice-time has sucked the last couple of games because Staubitz is on his line. He's already playing with a lot of confidence and speed and he works hard away from the puck. What does he need to work on at the AHL level?

As for Holland we need another center on the team. I don't care how many minutes he plays as long as his shifts are strong when he's on the ice. All centers have to get their feet wet centering the fourth line. Getzy did it, Bonino did it and Holland will have to as well. I mean he can't hurt the team any worse than Staubitz is so why not put him in the lineup? The more skilled players you have in your lineup the more scoring chances you create.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:51 PM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

I always thought Ryan could be a good center. The problem with previous experiments was that I don't think they ever gave him extended time plus an offseason and training camp there. Like a year or two ago, they put him at center for the first couple of camp sessions, but it was abandoned around the time of the second set of preseason games. Or they would do it for a game or two in the minors (which really was the best time to do it).

In the meantime, maybe get a #2C rental. Move Ryan back to wing for the year. He's looked good in spurts so far, but there will be growing pains. The team is rolling now, and with the shortened season why would you want to have to live through those growing pains? Tell him in exit interviews that they intend to move him next year, so he can train and practice for it. Then give him all of the training camp and at least a couple weeks in the regular season before reassessing.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Etem has been very effective getting to lose pucks and creating chances. He just hasn't buried any yet. His ice-time has sucked the last couple of games because Staubitz is on his line. He's already playing with a lot of confidence and speed and he works hard away from the puck. What does he need to work on at the AHL level?

As for Holland we need another center on the team. I don't care how many minutes he plays as long as his shifts are strong when he's on the ice. All centers have to get their feet wet centering the fourth line. Getzy did it, Bonino did it and Holland will have to as well. I mean he can't hurt the team any worse than Staubitz is so why not put him in the lineup? The more skilled players you have in your lineup the more scoring chances you create.
Blaming Staubitz for his ice time is silly. Certainly BB could put him on other lines if he was as effective as you claim him to be. I won't argue he works hard, I see that. But to claim to know his frame of mind is also silly. I don't see how a player can ooze confidence playing 6 minutes a game and being a scorer who isn't scoring.

There are so many things he needs to work on at the AHL level. His defensive positioning, his ability to make plays, his stick work, his body position. He hasn't even dominated at the AHL level, something Getzlaf Bonino and Holland have all done at the AHL level.

At to your point about Holland, if anyone can't hurt the team worse than Staubitz why not bring up someone like Bodie to take those minutes and allow Holland to continue to play 20 minutes a game in the AHL?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:

I agree with your thoughts on Etem and I like your second idea. Boudreau promised Holland his chance and now that Rakell has been sent to OHL and there might be a place for a center in the team, why not give him a shot?

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Koivu-Selänne
Winnik-Bonino-Cogliano
Beleskey-Holland-Etem

Although that would break the 3rd so Holland could try to center Ryan and Selänne or he could play the wing maybe? Palmieri has nothing to proof in AHL so people should start writing his name on the lineup. Etem could get sent down but his energy is great and on the 4th line he could play against weaker players. They could also send him down and give Maroon/McMillan/DSP a shot.

Actually, if Holland were to play the wing for sometime, he could be tried on the top line or second line with Bobby as the center. That way the 3rd line would stay the same and Bonino could stay on the 4th line.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 50
personally, i dont touch the third line, they are money and have brought out the best in cogs and winnie (guys we need going). We all know perry will get going and that will help getzlaf too, so at that point you could toss palms,etem,maroon,beleskey, anybody up there to fill that void (palms my top choice). Keep Ryan and Selanne together with a remaining player from that group or move bones to wing and let him take draws over ryan.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Crowdy
Co-founder, Crowdy

Oh god, Etem has not been effective. Send his ass down.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:46 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

There a reason that Etem starts every game on the 1st/2nd line and then winds up being demoted to the 4th and not playing the second half of the game. That reason is he's the exact opposite of effective. He streaks down the wing a few times and gets a mediocre at best scoring opportunity. His defensive positioning is suspect, he hasn't cycled well, he hasn't been an effective passer/playmaker. He tries real hard, but he's not succeeding at anything. Let him go dominate the AHL for a while.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
There a reason that Etem starts every game on the 1st/2nd line and then winds up being demoted to the 4th and not playing the second half of the game. That reason is he's the exact opposite of effective. He streaks down the wing a few times and gets a mediocre at best scoring opportunity. His defensive positioning is suspect, he hasn't cycled well, he hasn't been an effective passer/playmaker. He tries real hard, but he's not succeeding at anything. Let him go dominate the AHL for a while.
The reason is that he's a rookie. Palmieri gets taken out of rotation in the final third, too.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The reason is that he's a rookie. Palmieri gets taken out of rotation in the final third, too.
Palmieri is only demoted when he's not effective - he had 7 of his 19 shifts in the 3rd period against Chicago, 1/10 against St. Louis, 5/17 against Dallas, 5/17 against Colorado, and 2/15 against San Jose. If either of them WAS effective, they wouldn't be the line casualties. An argument can be made that if either was being effective there wouldn't BE any line casualties. They may be ineffective due to rookie status, but they aren't riding the pine just because they're rookies.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
When Etem was playing effectively, he was out there with 2 minutes left (Sharks I believe). And he couldnt clear the puck out leading to a penalty.

Also, theres a rumor on twitter that Etem was sent down, but I'll believe it when I see it from Stephens or one of the TSN guys.

Last edited by Selanne138: 02-13-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Closed Thread