HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-2013 Injury Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

vCash: 500
When is Landeskog coming back?

I have both him and ROR on my keeper team and I'm tanking!

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Avs
Bozak + 2nd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
Don't worry, Varly is doing a good job of ensuring we have a successful tank this year.
I disagree. Aside from Monday's game, I think Varly has been great this season

Avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:23 PM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Not a fan of Varlamov?
Big fan. Calling a spade a spade, though.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
Avs71

Depending on the severity of the head injury, it could basically be Johnson's second season lost before he is even 25.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post

So are the Avs.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post

That's what Greg Sherman said!

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
The EJ news isn't surprising at all. Another concussion.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Foppa2118

I still don't get how one could have such a violent reaction, after getting concussed? That makes no sense to me at all.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I still don't get how one could have such a violent reaction, after getting concussed? That makes no sense to me at all.
I still don't think its a concussion. They haven't said what type of head injury and theres no way he would have known instantly like that if it was a concussion.

My guess is a broke or dislocated jaw. Probably got so violent from a combination of the pain and knowing he would miss some time.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:30 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
I'm pretty sure brain trauma can cause violent behavior, but I'm also pretty sure there is a delay between the time of incident until a noticeable change in behavior. While I'm no doctor I have spent a night at a Holiday Inn and I have also read articles on the subject written by people smarter than me (which doesn't really narrow down the possible number of authors) but I'm going to say that was not the cause of his little episode going off the ice.

That being said, I'm sure he felt something was wrong but probably wasn't in a lot of pain yet, He most likely realized what was happening and it simply pissed him off. **** happens. I really hope he's ok and has a speedy recovery...for his sake, not necessarily for the teams.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Hesher
Vamos Argentina!

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I still don't think its a concussion. They haven't said what type of head injury and theres no way he would have known instantly like that if it was a concussion.

My guess is a broke or dislocated jaw. Probably got so violent from a combination of the pain and knowing he would miss some time.
Or he was already experiencing some concussion symptoms and he was mad because he knew he was going to be out for a while.

Hesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:

I only watched the game live and didn't rewatch the hit other than the initial replays during the game. I just don't recall him ever reaching up to touch his jaw after the hit. I can't imagine a man badass enough to break his jaw and not instinctively reach up and grab it, cradle it or touch it and try to figure out what was happening.

I also can't imagine a broken jaw being serious enough for the AVs not to just come out and say, "He broke his jaw. He'll be out for X number of weeks."

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:34 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:

Eh, I don't know. Usually teams are pretty specific about jaw injuries, since it doesn't keep players out that long, and they're well protected from being targets with those extra shields they wear. Head injury's usually reserved for concussions. Hopefully you're right though.

Maybe he freaked out over the jaw injury, and then had some PCS afterwards, or the Avs are being extra cautious like with Landy?

Either way it sucks.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Freaky Styley

Guys, EJ is concussed. You could tell right away he was in trouble and woozy, and as he was going off the ice he ran into the boards a bit stepping off the ice. Realizing he had a head injury and will probably miss some time he got angry and showed it

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
Guys, EJ is concussed. You could tell right away he was in trouble and woozy, and as he was going off the ice he ran into the boards a bit stepping off the ice. Realizing he had a head injury and will probably miss some time he got angry and showed it
I know if I got hit so hard in the head that I got a concussion and ran into the boards because I was woozy, the first thing I'd do is hit my team's elder statesman and mentor with the bench, and then start throwing **** around and have a fit.

Wait, no that's not true, the first thing I'd do is try to get off the ice so I could sit down somewhere.

EJ must be some kind of frankenstein creation if that's how he reacts. "I'm severely injured, and can't tell where I am or what I'm doing right now! Arrrgggghhhhhhh!"

Old
02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
I know if I got hit so hard in the head that I got a concussion and ran into the boards because I was woozy, the first thing I'd do is hit my team's elder statesman and mentor with the bench, and then start throwing **** around and have a fit.

Wait, no that's not true, the first thing I'd do is try to get off the ice so I could sit down somewhere.

EJ must be some kind of frankenstein creation if that's how he reacts. "I'm severely injured, and can't tell where I am or what I'm doing right now! Arrrgggghhhhhhh!"
It's not that surprising he would act that way if he realized he just got hurt. I've never had a concussion but I'm guessing everyone reacts differently and develops symptoms differently. Landeskog was cleared by the trainers/doctors, finished the game, and now hasn't played since. It's not automatic that as soon as EJ gets hit in the head, he has a concussion and starts feeling like **** immediately.

I haven't watched the replay so I don't remember him skating into the boards but he was moving very slowly after the hit. However, he stayed on the ice and blocked the point shot before he went off so I think he knew where he was and what he was doing.

Poor Giguere. With our luck, I'm surprised he didn't suffer a concussion.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Avs71

Quote:

Players used to play with concussions all the time. I know when I was younger, I got hit and instantly felt like I was so drunk, but just kept playing anyways. It's just what players did. No reason to think he couldn't be aware of the pain and angered by it.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:21 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:

He was out on his feet kinda like Allistair Overeem a few weeks ago. He was a total zombie that entire shift.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
He was out on his feet kinda like Allistair Overeem a few weeks ago. He was a total zombie that entire shift.
Not cool. I hope that's what Henderson does to your boy next week.

Old
02-13-2013, 06:43 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Not cool. I hope that's what Henderson does to your boy next week.
Things havent been going well for my favourite fighters lately. JDS lost, Overeem lost brutally, Lyoto well Lyoto needs to not circle left and he should be fine Anyways yah seasons lost folks. Lets get ready for the draft.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Man, we may as well be the Lake Erie Monsters + Duchene + Varly, all else is injured!

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I wasn't ready to give up on the season yet but with EJ out indefinitely, Landeskog still not practicing, and O'Reilly not coming back, we're done.

Old
02-13-2013, 08:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:

EJ Mad!!!

EJ SMASH!!!!

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
Brain trauma could absolutely make someone act angrily/violently.

I think in EJs case, he was clearly dizzy/confused on the ice, and not thinking clearly as he came off. I doubt the reason for his anger was particularly clear to him as he came off the ice.

You can't make hypotheticals about how you would feel if it was you with the concussion. Each head injury will be to a different extent and each person will respond differently to it. Can't be certain without talking to him/examining him and to be honest just seeing how things work out with time whether his response is a good or bad thing. Could be a sign of a pretty severe concussion for him to go off like that, or it could be a sign that he was relatively clear compared to say, Mueller who just collapsed on the ice.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:02 PM
ABasin
Beer is good food

Quote:
Because he has a concussion, doesn't mean he can't tell where he is or what he's doing. Concussions can vary every bit as much as, say, a muscle pull. Some muscle pulls barely slow someone down. Others can keep someone from walking.

It's really quite unpredictable. I had a bad concussion a few years ago - I got nasty vertigo and some balance issues that lasted quite a while, but I was never unsure of where I was or what I was doing. One of my teenage family members had a concussion last year, and cried (for no reason that any of us could tell) 6 times a day for a week or two.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote