HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Letang for a legit 1st line winger

Old
02-13-2013, 03:19 PM
molsonoilers

vCash: 500
I think the value is close in this hypothetical deal: Letang + Morrow for Yakupov + Petry. The Pens gamble slightly on Petry's upside but they get a true sniper on a rookie contract for three years. Playing Yak on Sid or Geno's wing would be dirty. Edmonton gets a true #1D and another prospect defenceman to add to the stable. (You can never have enough defense) Worst case scenario is a prospect defenseman can be traded in exchange for veteran help in the bottom 6. Long term Pittsburgh wins this, but I think Edmonton would do it.

molsonoilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:22 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonoilers View Post
I think the value is close in this hypothetical deal: Letang + Morrow for Yakupov + Petry. The Pens gamble slightly on Petry's upside but they get a true sniper on a rookie contract for three years. Playing Yak on Sid or Geno's wing would be dirty. Edmonton gets a true #1D and another prospect defenceman to add to the stable. (You can never have enough defense) Worst case scenario is a prospect defenseman can be traded in exchange for veteran help in the bottom 6. Long term Pittsburgh wins this, but I think Edmonton would do it.
So, Pittsburgh gives up a Norris finalist type candidate in Letang and its top prospect for a guy that has played 13 games in the NHL and a project in Petry? I like Yakupov, but this is a deal I wouldn't do at all if I'm Pittsburgh. No chance.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
molsonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
So, Pittsburgh gives up a Norris finalist type candidate in Letang and its top prospect for a guy that has played 13 games in the NHL and a project in Petry? I like Yakupov, but this is a deal I wouldn't do at all if I'm Pittsburgh. No chance.
If you're not going to analyze the facts, why did you make the thread? Maybe I slightly undervalued Morrow, but his status as your #1 prospect means nothing in the grand scheme of things. And who cares if yak has played 13 NHL games. Was Crosby a dud before he played in the NHL? If you're going to make an argument, at least use some logic.

Edit: Project is a very harsh word to use for Petry. Watch him play and you will be pleasantly surprised.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:29 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
If you're not going to analyze the facts, why did you make the thread? Maybe I slightly undervalued Morrow, but his status as your #1 prospect means nothing in the grand scheme of things. And who cares if yak has played 13 NHL games. Was Crosby a dud before he played in the NHL? If you're going to make an argument, at least use some logic.
he didn't make the thread -_-

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:30 PM
molsonoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
he didn't make the thread -_-
Whoops :p

Old
02-13-2013, 03:31 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Edit: Project is a very harsh word to use for Petry. Watch him play and you will be pleasantly surprised.
I didn't make the thread.

I don't like trading all-star type guys; have to add a top prospect for a guy that is 13 games into his career. Sorry. As for Petry - you used the word gamble, right?

If Letang was ever traded to Edmonton, the return starts with a guy who's last name begins with E and ends with an e as well.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Ahh Nope. Personally wouldn't do Letang for Yak.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
You absolutely undervalued Morrow. He's the Pens best D prospect in a pool of top-notch D prospects.

Additionally, the only reason the Pens would move hypothetically move Letang is if they felt their prospects were ready to step in and take over for him. Not only would Morrow probably be off the table for trade in that case, we wouldn't need a gamble coming back on D.

I believe Yakupov is going to be a very good player but I don't feel that he's worth Letang right now and the Pens are a win-now team. Therefore the Pens pass.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
You wouldn't even fetch Letang for that package and you want Shero to throw in his best prospect?

Letang is only 25, so is Petry, and Morrow is 20. So the Oilers win big time now and later.

If the Oilers acquire Letang, it would cost a couple players you don't want to give up. Players like Letang rarely hit the trade market for good reason.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
Letang not a #1 D-man?

I guess there are only like 5 #1 D-men in the league then
True #1s? Yes about that.

Letang would need to learn how to QB the PP before I'd even start to consider him a #1 D. Don't get me wrong. He's a very good defenseman, and I'm happy to have him. However until you're the go to guy in all aspects (PK/PP) then I don't see how you can call him a #1. He's not our go to guy on the PK, and he can't QB a PP.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."

Last edited by Riptide: 02-13-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:44 PM
Riptide

Quote:

If it was a prospect other than Morrow (Maatta?), then I might consider it. But with Morrow being there, it's an easy no.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
If it was a prospect other than Morrow (Maatta?), then I might consider it. But with Morrow being there, it's an easy no.
i wouldn't consider it no matter which prospect was going to Edmonton.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:55 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBenSF View Post
Both of these statements are completely laughable.

Which fanbase overvalues their players more, Edmonton or New York?
New York by far its outrageous

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:04 AM
drizzydrew22*

the penguins cant afford to do this, they wouldnt have a legit number 1 defender, if they had gotten suter this past summer than maybe the only wingers i would be interested in is kessel or perry

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Pens would be crazy IMO to trade Letang

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:00 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Pens would be crazy IMO to trade Letang
Yep. Not to mention, Pittsburgh is currently 2nd in the league for Goals/Game with 3.37 and have the 3rd best PP in the league, WHY do they need to trade to upgrade their forwards?

Their PK is 17th and their GAA is 13th, if they need to upgrade something, it's team defence, or maybe even just goaltending. Fleury was a 1st overall pick and he's won a Stanley Cup, but he did it on an absolutely stacked team. I've never been overly sold on him, and I wonder what his stats would look like if he'd been playing for a mediocre team for the last 5+ years instead of a perennial contender.

Letang isn't a guy they should be looking to trade.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 08:03 AM
drizzydrew22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Yep. Not to mention, Pittsburgh is currently 2nd in the league for Goals/Game with 3.37 and have the 3rd best PP in the league, WHY do they need to trade to upgrade their forwards?

Their PK is 17th and their GAA is 13th, if they need to upgrade something, it's team defence, or maybe even just goaltending. Fleury was a 1st overall pick and he's won a Stanley Cup, but he did it on an absolutely stacked team. I've never been overly sold on him, and I wonder what his stats would look like if he'd been playing for a mediocre team for the last 5+ years instead of a perennial contender.

i agree ^ the defense def needs to uprgade and fluery isnt that great as what people say he is coming from a pittsburgh fan, his save percentage is horrible and and rarely gets a shut out and when hes close he chokes, he gives up fluke and easy goals and is the worst puck handler ive ever seen for a goal tender

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post

Letang isn't a guy the Pens are looking to trade. At all.

As far as perceived defensive woes it's pretty tough to put them on Fleury, particularly this season. He's had one stinker of a game and otherwise he's been good to very good. I think the Pens will try to add a depth D-man at or before the deadline, nothing too splashy but a solid stay at home guy.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 09:26 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
I'll say exactly what I said in the Value of Malkin thread.

He's invaluable. Because he's not going anywhere.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is online now   Reply With Quote