Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why do YOU think the Wild cannot score

Old
02-13-2013, 03:23 PM
Eagle Claw

vCash: 500
Thinking "defense prevails" is wild main problem

Looking at the goals against statistic instead off looking at the goals made statistic is yeo's main deficiency and somehow it feels it's only become worse it's become a obsession.It's a obsession that about to spoil the whole season especially in a shortened season were there is not a lot off time for training offensive skills

Even in an loss interview yeo says we limited the opposite teams goal scoring chances wtf? ,
He lost the point WILD LOST the game, wild limited their own goal scoring by trying to grind out a 1 goal win and it backfired

If you have SEVERAL almost AHL caliber defenders is the "holy grail" idea to try to score 2 goals a night ,spend as much time as possible in your own end and grind out the win?

It's insanity to think that if a wild player once in a game has one chance to score they will score, every goal needs multiple goal scoring opportunities before the one that actually succeeds

the way yeo is structuring wild is to attack from yeo defense cave fall back to defend deep again and again

Yeo system is backfiring 100%, instead off securing a lead it's causing wild not to score and thereby making wild the one that has to score

The more you watch the games the less at fault are the players ,the commitment is starting to be there but the system is too "chicken"

Eagle Claw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:24 PM
Granlund 64

Until i see something that screams incompetence I don't see Yeo getting fired this year. Shortened season with possibly the most roster turnover in the league.

This team, for the most part, shows up to play and based on the chances we've been getting I see a breakout game Thursday.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think it's beyond line shuffling by now. Once small sample size turns into adequate sample size, you can start looking beyond the individual players.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eagle, I'm watching these games, and I routinely see 2-3 forecheckers, and when they fail to retrieve the puck, an odd man rush the other way.

I watched Lemaire hockey for years. This is not by any means a passive defensive system.

In what way was the Wild trying to "hang on" to a one goal deficit in the third last night? The defense was pinching along the boards, they pulled the goalie for the extra attacker, they peppered Luongo with shots.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
maybe Yeo just needs that long camp to assess his players and develop a plan around them? Preparation is key. With almost no camp, no pre season, and infrequent practices it has to be hard to fit the pieces together.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Wildfan10*

Lack of effort and bad system.

Wildfan10* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Granlund 64

Anyone who claims lack of effort is just being a troll.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
Wildfan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you watched the games? We haven't had one complete 60 minute effort this season. I don't think we've even had a full 40 minute effort yet. I know some players bust their ***** every night but it's never even close to a full team effort.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Wildfan10*

It's mostly the system tho. it just doesn't work.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Dr Jan Itor

The "roster turnover" excuse is kind of starting to irk me...

Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen, Brodziak, Heatley, Setoguchi, Clutterbuck, Spurgeon, Falk, Scandella, Stoner and Prosser all played a substantial part of their season with each other and in the system. Gilbert, while being a later addition, had 20 games in it.

The new guys? Two great players, two highly touted rookies and a couple of 4th liners. All of our additions are huge upgrades on their replacements.

Would a training camp and preseason been helpful? Absolutely, but some people seem like they think we are the only team that switched out a few parts this year.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
State of Hockey

I could go on an on, but to sum it up, it's a lack of talent. And specifically it's in the skating category. This game is won on speed. Without it you have no chance. You can have all the other skills in the world. But when you have no time or space to use them, they're useless. The old regime put a lot of emphasis on skating. This regime does not. In fact I'd say it means little to them compared to other skills. And that mistake is going to hurt us for a long time.

The secondary factor is the system. We could score more goals with more of a puck possession style. But it probably means we'd be giving up a lot more too.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:08 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I could go on an on, but to sum it up, it's a lack of talent. And specifically it's in the skating category. This game is won on speed. Without it you have no chance. You can have all the other skills in the world. But when you have no time or space to use them, they're useless. The old regime put a lot of emphasis on skating. This regime does not. In fact I'd say it means little to them compared to other skills. And that mistake is going to hurt us for a long time.
Parise, Cullen, Bouchard, Mitchell, Clutterbuck and Setoguchi are all have "speed".

Granlund is probably average. Same with Brodziak and Coyle.

Koivu and Heatley are the only one's that I'd really deem as "slow".

The problem is that aside from Parise and Bouchard, our fast guys don't have a whole lot of offensive intelligence.

The previous regime, while valuing skating, didn't value a whole lot of other important skills, a mistake that we have been paying for for quite a while now.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:14 PM
nickschultzfan

Training camp would have been a MASSIVE help. It would have allowed Granlund to adjust, and Coyle, Zucker, and Larsson to push out unproductive vets. And those vets could have been traded when they still had value.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
The "roster turnover" excuse is kind of starting to irk me...

Koivu, Bouchard, Cullen, Brodziak, Heatley, Setoguchi, Clutterbuck, Spurgeon, Falk, Scandella, Stoner and Prosser all played a substantial part of their season with each other and in the system. Gilbert, while being a later addition, had 20 games in it.

The new guys? Two great players, two highly touted rookies and a couple of 4th liners. All of our additions are huge upgrades on their replacements.

Would a training camp and preseason been helpful? Absolutely, but some people seem like they think we are the only team that switched out a few parts this year.
keep being irked--the team looks nothing like it did last year. How many key players did anyone else in the division change over? You'll notice that neither Cullen nor Brodziak, nore Scandella, nor Bouchard are playing where they were last year. it's not a few "parts" we switched.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:15 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Parise, Cullen, Bouchard, Mitchell, Clutterbuck and Setoguchi are all have "speed".

Granlund is probably average. Same with Brodziak and Coyle.

Koivu and Heatley are the only one's that I'd really deem as "slow".

The problem is that aside from Parise and Bouchard, our fast guys don't have a whole lot of offensive intelligence.

The previous regime, while valuing skating, didn't value a whole lot of other important skills, a mistake that we have been paying for for quite a while now.
Yep. We have fast players and talented players. They are just not the same people, so we can't pull off quick rushes.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund 64 View Post
I wouldn't say that it's a lack of effort so much as an inconsistency of effort.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

there have been a couple games where the effort just dropped off after the other team went up, but more often it looks like indecision is the problem more than effort. you look like you're not trying if you're caught standing around or taking an extra breath before you figure out who you're supposed to be watching.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
keep being irked--the team looks nothing like it did last year. How many key players did anyone else in the division change over? You'll notice that neither Cullen nor Brodziak, nore Scandella, nor Bouchard are playing where they were last year. it's not a few "parts" we switched.
Fine then. Wasn't it a couple games ago where Training Camp would've ended? They've had 12 games to adjust to their "new roles". If there is an uptick in offensive production, I'll happily shut the f up.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:26 PM
MNWILDFAN001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Simple, no offensive identity or consistency. Too many players that don't fit together.

We aren't a high skilled team.

We aren't a fast team.

We aren't a cycle team.

We aren't a forechecking, Ozone turnover team.
Agree with all that. Also would add our passing needs improve. Passes need to be crisp and tape to tape. And need to keep the legs moving in the offensive. Seeing too much standing around. It's easy for a defenseman to cover a guy that is just standing there. We should more practice time working on the cycle. Let them learn together, learn each other's movements, where they're going, where they're going to be. Talk to each other. Every so often they make a nice play. But most of the time there is very little chemistry.

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Fine then. Wasn't it a couple games ago where Training Camp would've ended? They've had 12 games to adjust to their "new roles". If there is an uptick in offensive production, I'll happily shut the f up.
Be prepared. I'll happy make a friendly bet with you. I'll take the side that the Wild score 2+ goals on Thursday. Name the stakes.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Be prepared. I'll happy make a friendly bet with you. I'll take the side that the Wild score 2+ goals on Thursday. Name the stakes.
Even strength goals?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:35 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Even strength goals?
Sure. I'll bet they score two or more ES goals.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

More emphasis is needed in the draft on skating. We need to stock up some speedier forwards. We do have a few in the wings fortunately in Zucker, Larsson, Haula and Lucia, but speed needs to be more of an emphasis.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:53 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseSuterKoivu View Post
More emphasis is needed in the draft on skating. We need to stock up some speedier forwards. We do have a few in the wings fortunately in Zucker, Larsson, Haula and Lucia, but speed needs to be more of an emphasis.
Thelen, Pouliot, Gillies, and Cuma

Old
02-13-2013, 06:26 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

remember when we drafted/traded/signed for a specific attribute we lacked and how that lead to success...size it was, last time.

weren't we really speedy at the beginning?