HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2013, 06:55 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

vCash: 500
Rivalry Night seems to be on a roll...ratings should be good for Det - Stl and Philly vs Pitt (the next two Wed Night games).

Old
02-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Rivalry Night seems to be on a roll...ratings should be good for Det - Stl and Philly vs Pitt (the next two Wed Night games).
it shocks me that last nights habs game got such high ratings. many reasons i say this. there were a full slate of NBA games on last night.. plus, it was a real sleeper. not many scoring chances all game and low scoring. plus it's a canadian team, plus, the celtics were playing same time and it was a great 4th q comeback for them to continue the streak..

can you imagine if there weren't a celtics game on same time how much higher rating would've been? and can you imagine what rivalry night will get if it involves a chicago game, or pit/phi and there's no nba that night on? if MTL got huge rating last night, what will a bos/chi get with no nba on?? can you say all time record???? i think so.

Old
02-07-2013, 07:47 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
it shocks me that last nights habs game got such high ratings. many reasons i say this. there were a full slate of NBA games on last night.. plus, it was a real sleeper. not many scoring chances all game and low scoring. plus it's a canadian team, plus, the celtics were playing same time and it was a great 4th q comeback for them to continue the streak..

can you imagine if there weren't a celtics game on same time how much higher rating would've been? and can you imagine what rivalry night will get if it involves a chicago game, or pit/phi and there's no nba that night on? if MTL got huge rating last night, what will a bos/chi get with no nba on?? can you say all time record???? i think so.
I don't think the NBA and the Celtics matter as much as you think they do. They have their fanbase and we have ours. Sure, there is some overlap, but I don't think it's as large as you believe it is.

Old
02-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I don't think the NBA and the Celtics matter as much as you think they do. They have their fanbase and we have ours. Sure, there is some overlap, but I don't think it's as large as you believe it is.
Bingo. According to the data I've seen, there's not much overlap at all, even in local markets.

Old
02-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Azkals

Quote:
The Penguins-Capitals game registered a 12.0 Nielsen rating for Root Sports. Whether on NBC Sports or Root Sports, each of the Penguins' 11 regular-season games has registered a double-digit rating. A rating point is equal to around 12,000 households. Penguins games are being watched by an average of around 357,600 people this season, based on Nielsen research.
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...#ixzz2KLeYpQV9

Last edited by Azkals: 02-08-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:

In the Boston market it wouldn't have made a difference. Celtics drew a 3 that night and the Bruins drew a 7.

Old
02-11-2013, 02:27 PM
CanadaIsHockey

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/1...ar-ago-despite

Quote:
The Kings-Red Wings game, which saw a thrilling finish, drew a 1.1 overnight. As I said, that was the lowest number of the season. It was still, however, a nine percent increase from the game on the comparable date last year (WSH vs. NYR, Feb. 12, 2012: 1.0).

Old
02-11-2013, 02:29 PM
CanadaIsHockey

Stars Gaining on Mavs in Dallas

Quote:
The rather massive gap between the Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars has narrowed considerably. Fox Sports Southwest has averaged a 1.7 rating for Mavericks coverage this season (46 telecasts), down 44% from the same number of games last season (3.0). Meanwhile, the network has averaged a 1.0 for Stars games this season (10 telecasts) — up 94% from the first ten games last year (0.5). By comparison, Rangers games averaged a record 5.9 on FS Southwest last season.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...ps-nhl-on-nbc/

Old
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
Not surprised by the drop given that NBC had LA playing at 9:30 am Pacific time. Why not make it a 3 pm game?

Old
02-11-2013, 06:13 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46zone View Post
Not surprised by the drop given that NBC had LA playing at 9:30 am Pacific time. Why not make it a 3 pm game?
NBC is too afraid to go head to head with the NBA. It's kinda embarrassing, to be honest.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:08 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
That's really good considering the Mavs won the title a couple years ago and the Rangers have been to two World Series in the past three years.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:00 AM
gordie

Quote:
I wonder how much this has to do with the Stars signing Jagr? Star players even old ones do get people interested.

Old
02-12-2013, 10:16 AM
Nicky Santoro

i am so expecting NHL to break its reg season NBC ratings record this sunday with a doubleheader. PIT at BUF.. sid the kid and 2 huge tv ratings markets.. at 1230.. and then 330 pm.. LA at CHI. another 2 big markets... and the best part is.... NO NBA at all that day.. it's all star break. i am predicting one of these 2 games will set an NBC regular season record. but i can't say which. it will be very close IMO.

man, that Bettman is a genius.

Old
02-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Nicky Santoro

ok, maybe not an NBC record, but close. but if it was NYR/CHI instead of LA/CHI, with no nba, it might've had a chance.

And for the guys that said nhl ratings are not affected by NBA, well, i disagree with that. 90% of sports fans don't usually like 1 sport, they love most sports. so if you're a flyers fan in philly, chances are, you also like the phillies, eagles, etc.. so if phillies are on tv at same time as flyers, flyers will take a big hit. and if NYR are playing same time as knicks, NYR will get a worse rating than usual. Don't we all hate when 2 of our fav teams are playing same time? Of course it affects ratings.

Finally, i love that Dallas tv rating for Stars.. however, we must face it. the only reason it's up 94% is because after 10 games last yr in OCT and NOV, stars were up against Rangers world series, Cowboys, and college.. this last month had none of that. so the 1.0 is not nearly impressive as you all might think.

In the Mavs 1.7 avg this yr, they went up against college and Cowboys

Old
02-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Per @TGfireandice (Devils top beat reporter):

Devils' ratings on MSG Plus up 143 percent over first 10 games it has telecast compared to last season (0.56 to 0.23).

Old
02-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Azkals posted this on the Pens board from a Trib article last week.

Quote:
The Penguins-Capitals game registered a 12.0 Nielsen rating for Root Sports. Each of the Penguins' 11 regular-season games has registered a double-digit rating. A rating point is equal to about 12,000 households. Penguins games are being watched by an average of about 357,600 people this season based on Nielsen research.
Nothing surprising there, I just loved seeing that average number...which means there are more people in the Pittsburgh area watching Penguins games than people that actually live in Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh city proper covers a small footprint, which helps drive the population number down - only ~307k people actually live in Pittsburgh, compared to ~1.225m in Allegheny County and ~2.4m in the metro. For example Nashville covers almost 10x as much land as Pittsburgh does, as the city covers the entirety of Davidson County. Most cities cover about 2-3 times as much land as Pittsburgh does...though Buffalo is actually smaller).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-13-2013, 03:26 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=655530

Quote:
During the month of January, Sabres telecasts on MSG posted a rating average of 10.9, the highest-ever mark for the team’s game broadcasts during the month and the second-highest monthly rating since the 2005-06 season. The previous high-water mark for January telecasts was an 8.5 rating set during January 2008. The team’s highest average monthly rating for MSG telecasts was an 11.2 rating set in March 2008.

In addition to the month-long ratings numbers, two Sabres game telecasts on MSG – the Jan. 27 game vs. Washington and the Jan. 25 game vs. Carolina – ranked among the top 20 highest-rated Sabres telecasts on MSG. The Jan. 27 game earned an 11.3 rating (21 share, approximately 71,000 viewers), while the Jan. 25 matchup recorded an 11.2 rating (17 share, approximately 71,000 viewers).

The team’s season-opener against the Philadelphia Flyers on Jan. 20 drew the highest-ever rating in the Buffalo market for a nationally televised, regular-season Sabres game, excluding the 2008 Winter Classic. The game telecast, broadcast on NBC, posted a 20.1 rating and a 34 share, topping the team’s previous record – a 13.0 rating and 22 share – set by a Sabres-Flyers game broadcast on MSG on April 8, 2011.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
flyers28giroux

I'm curious to see how last night's Rangers/Bruins matchup did. Neither the Celtics nor the Knicks were playing last night.

It was an exciting game with a good pace, with the Bruins coming back to tie the game in the third, and eventually leading to the shootout in which Ryan Callahan sealed it for the Rangers win. So I wonder if the game possibly peaked over a million viewers between the final minutes of the third and overtime/shootout.

I would say it has been exciting action this week for the national games on NBC, with Sunday's Kings/Red Wings and Devils/Penguins match-ups, last night's game and then tonight should be an exciting one with the Blues/Red Wings playing.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
I'm curious to see how last night's Rangers/Bruins matchup did. Neither the Celtics nor the Knicks were playing last night.
we think alike. i swear for the last 5 hrs, i have been refreshing all the ratings sites just waiting for that NYR/BOS rating. i know it will be huge. 2 big markets, 2 big teams, a big rivalry, and on NBCSN. and it was a great game, too. and no celtics or knicks. i can't wait to see it. it should be a top 3 rated game for this yr.

but i think the highest one will come this sunday. 2 great aft games in PIT/BUF, and then LAK/CHI..and it's all star break in NBA.. only hockey going on.. not even college basketball will have any decent games.. i can't wait for sunday.. but for now, i hope someone finds that bos/nyr game from last night..i am so anxious to see it.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:41 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
we think alike. i swear for the last 5 hrs, i have been refreshing all the ratings sites just waiting for that NYR/BOS rating. i know it will be huge. 2 big markets, 2 big teams, a big rivalry, and on NBCSN. and it was a great game, too. and no celtics or knicks. i can't wait to see it. it should be a top 3 rated game for this yr.

but i think the highest one will come this sunday. 2 great aft games in PIT/BUF, and then LAK/CHI..and it's all star break in NBA.. only hockey going on.. not even college basketball will have any decent games.. i can't wait for sunday.. but for now, i hope someone finds that bos/nyr game from last night..i am so anxious to see it.

Well I haven't refreshed the ratings sites yet

But in all seriousness, next week should be another big week you have arguably six of the NHL's big American market teams facing off, and a lot of intriguing match-ups in terms of standings and players.

I think the Chicago-LA match-up will be the most intriguing, the Kings seem like their finally playing better after their loss to Detroit, the Blackhawks will probably still have not loss their first regulation game yet, and also the game is on at 3:30 east coast time which should attract some fans from the Mountain and the Pacific West.

Old
02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Rangers Ratings Up Big on MSG

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013...so-open-court/

Quote:
Through 11 games, New York Rangers NHL telecasts have averaged a 1.95 rating on MSG Network in the New York market — up 187% from the first 11 games of last season (0.68). Last season, of course, began as scheduled in October. The early season average is nearly double last year’s full-season average of 0.99. Of note, the Rangers are outdrawing the rival Devils on MSG by 248% (1.95 to 0.56). (MSG press release)

Old
02-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Nicky Santoro

Blues/Redwings rating in. I can't believe it's me giving the updates when i am here to get info from you guys. Hey CanadaIsHockey, you are the man here.. You have been the man here for many yrs starting these ratings threads.. Pls buddy, i depend on you. If you ever get any ratings updates of any local team or nbc, pls post it. I don't know you CanadaIsHockey, but i do know you are the man in this category and you live only 10 miles from me. So pls do it for your fellow Montrealer. i am obsessed with this stuff. thanks.

Here is the STL/DET rating from last night.. From SBNation

NHL TV ratings 2013: Blues vs. Red Wings down from previous Wednesdays, still solid for NBC Sports Network

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/2/1...s-vs-red-wings

Old
02-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
So how many people is that on average?

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." — -31-
Old
02-14-2013, 08:03 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
also, if you can also give us the Knicks rating, too. i'd love to compare them to see if the NYR are close to the knicks or if they trail by a lot.

Old
02-14-2013, 09:33 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
1.95 average Nielsen rating and 7,384,340 households in the NYC DMA.

So, about 143,994.

Source on # of households http://www.tvb.org/media/file/TVB_Ma...DMA_Ranks2.pdf

Quote:
also, if you can also give us the Knicks rating, too. i'd love to compare them to see if the NYR are close to the knicks or if they trail by a lot.
Through the first 24 Nielsen-measured games on MSG this season, Knicks telecasts are averaging a 3.52 household rating.

Making it about 259,929.

Last edited by charlie460: 02-14-2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: corrected for Nielsen 2013 numbers thanks
Closed Thread