HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 02:04 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
I would probably do Booth, Jensen and a 2nd for RoR, pending a contract.
Aside from the fact that I'm not sure this gets it done, I'm not sure this would make sense for us either. I'm a huge fan of RoR, but this team needs to gear up for a Cup run this year and I'm not sure he is that big of an upgrade over Booth for this trade to make sense. Let alone he's a C and we would be taking away from our wing depth. So far with the way Schroeder has played he has made the need for another C no longer a top priority. I would probably pass on this.

02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
So far with the way Schroeder has played he has made the need for another C no longer a top priority. I would probably pass on this.
I'm not sure if I'd do it either (it would entirely depend on the type of contract it would take to sign O'Reilly), but a Burrows-O'Reilly-Kesler line would be pretty killer, leaving Kassian to play with the Sedins and a Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line to mop up soft minutes.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Alflives

Quote:
I would probably do Booth, Jensen and a 2nd for RoR, pending a contract.
Sure you would, but Colorado wouldn't.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:13 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I'm not sure if I'd do it either, but a Burrows-O'Reilly-Kesler line would be pretty killer, leaving Kassian to play with the Sedins and a Raymond-Schroeder-Hansen line to mop up soft minutes.
Why do you have to say something like this? That line would be a ***** to play against for other teams.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Diamonddog01

Would you guys do Booth and Schroeder for ROR?

He's only a year older than Schroeder. Next year would look something like

Sedin (6.1) – Sedin (6.1) – Burrows (4.5)
Raymond (2.5) – Kesler (5) – Kassian (0.87)
Higgins (2.5) – O’Rielly (4) – Hansen (1.35)
Weise (0.8) – Lapierre (1.5) – Volpatti (0.7)
13th F (0.7)

Hamhuis (4.5) – Bieksa (4.6)
Garrison (4.6) – Edler (5)
6th D (2) - Tanev (1.5)
7th D (0.7)

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

Old
02-13-2013, 02:21 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Aside from the fact that I'm not sure this gets it done, I'm not sure this would make sense for us either. I'm a huge fan of RoR, but this team needs to gear up for a Cup run this year and I'm not sure he is that big of an upgrade over Booth for this trade to make sense. Let alone he's a C and we would be taking away from our wing depth. So far with the way Schroeder has played he has made the need for another C no longer a top priority. I would probably pass on this.
He's not a huge upgrade over Booth right now, but it's not just about this season. The Sedins are in the last years of their contracts next season. If we decide to bring them back, RoR can center Kesler on the 2nd line. If we dont bring the Sedins back, Kesler and RoR as our 1-2 centers doesn't look too bad. It gives us a lot of options and we don't have to act desperate in bringing back the Sedins if it's not in our best interests.

As for the trade itself, I think it's a solid offer if the Avs are, in fact, looking for a roster player and a prospect. I figure RoR tops out as a 60-65 point two-way forward, which is a great player to have, but I wouldn't neccessarily be giving up an arm and a leg for this kind of player. You do that for game-breakers, and RoR isn't one.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Would you guys do Booth and Schroeder for ROR?

He's only a year older than Schroeder. Next year would look something like

Sedin (6.1) – Sedin (6.1) – Burrows (4.5)
Raymond (2.5) – Kesler (5) – Kassian (0.87)
Higgins (2.5) – O’Rielly (4) – Hansen (1.35)
Weise (0.8) – Lapierre (1.5) – Volpatti (0.7)
13th F (0.7)

Hamhuis (4.5) – Bieksa (4.6)
Garrison (4.6) – Edler (5)
6th D (2) - Tanev (1.5)
7th D (0.7)

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.75)

Where are Ballard, Malholtra and Luongo?

Old
02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
He's not a huge upgrade over Booth right now, but it's not just about this season. The Sedins are in the last years of their contracts next season. If we decide to bring them back, RoR can center Kesler on the 2nd line. If we dont bring the Sedins back, Kesler and RoR as our 1-2 centers doesn't look too bad. It gives us a lot of options and we don't have to act desperate in bringing back the Sedins if it's not in our best interests.

As for the trade itself, I think it's a solid offer if the Avs are, in fact, looking for a roster player and a prospect. I figure RoR tops out as a 60-65 point two-way forward, which is a great player to have, but I wouldn't neccessarily be giving up an arm and a leg for this kind of player. You do that for game-breakers, and RoR isn't one.
We need to look at just this year right now. We have been one of the hottest teams to start the season, and if we take it up to another level once Kesler and Booth return then I would be looking to add to what we have, as oppose to subtracting from it. If Booth doesn't re-integrate well into our lineup then it's perhaps something I look into a bit more, but this year could be our last legitimate shot at a Stanley Cup.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Sure you would, but Colorado wouldn't.
If Colorado is looking for a roster player/prospect, this is probably as good of a deal as they're going to get. There's no chance that any team will offer something like a Kassian+Jensen package for RoR. They could get something similar to Jensen and a 1st, but anymore substantial than that and the expectation there is that you should be getting someone better than RoR.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:32 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Why do you have to say something like this? That line would be a ***** to play against for other teams.
A Burrows- Kesler- O'Reilly line would be up there as one of the most difficult defensive forward lines i've ever heard of to play against.

Sedin- Sedin- Kassian
Burrows- Kesler- O'Reilly
Raymond- Schroeder- Hansen
Higgins- Lapierre- Volpatti/Weise/Manny

Giddy up.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:33 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
We need to look at just this year right now. We have been one of the hottest teams to start the season, and if we take it up to another level once Kesler and Booth return then I would be looking to add to what we have, as oppose to subtracting from it. If Booth doesn't re-integrate well into our lineup then it's perhaps something I look into a bit more, but this year could be our last legitimate shot at a Stanley Cup.
I think it's going to be hard to add to the lineup once everyone is healthy. We'll have solid players at just about every spot in the lineup (Higgins-Malhotra-Volpatti or Weise could be our 4th line).

I wouldn't waste valuable assets for marginal upgrades just for this season. Plus, I don't think we have the cap space to make a big splash, but I could be wrong.

As for the last point about being the last legit year for us to win the cup, I don't think that's neccessarily true. All of our d-men are still relatively young and under contract. Same with the forwards for the most part. The most pressing issue is finding replacements for the Sedins if they're not top players anymore after next season, but 12.2 million is a lot of money to find two top-line players provided that they're available, which is why making a play for RoR makes sense. Those players may not become available, and we might be forced into a situation where we have to bring back the Sedins on a multi-year contract when they're on the decline.

Last edited by kanuck87: 02-13-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Where are Ballard, Malholtra and Luongo?
This is next year's lineup.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:32 PM
freakydave

Quote:
This is next year's lineup.
Ballard & Luongo are under contract & you have not accounted for them being traded

Old
02-13-2013, 03:36 PM
David71

would you guys welcoming back raffi torres?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Ballard & Luongo are under contract & you have not accounted for them being traded
Pick a team, imagine picks and prospects coming our way and *boom* they are accounted for.

I was showing how we could fit under the cap next year. This year I believe someone said we should have about 3.5M in space at the deadline. For this year

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Kassian
Higgins - O'Rielly - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Volpatti

Hamhuis - Edler
Garrison - Bieksa
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider
Luongo

Happy now?

Old
02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
would you guys welcoming back raffi torres?
I would. I think our team still lacks the type of player that Torres is; however, after what happened last year and Torres talking about changing his style who knows how well he'll play the rest of the season/his career.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:51 PM
David71

Quote:
I would. I think our team still lacks the type of player that Torres is; however, after what happened last year and Torres talking about changing his style who knows how well he'll play the rest of the season/his career.
matt cooke changed his style of play too. but there were rumours or so regarding torress that he wasnt well-liked in the room

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
aandbreatheme

Quote:
matt cooke changed his style of play too. but there were rumours or so regarding torress that he wasnt well-liked in the room
He was apparently the first to speak after the SCF loss. Maybe that's why.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Pick a team, imagine picks and prospects coming our way and *boom* they are accounted for.
Yeah I tend to think the way Ballard is playing, he'd likely net us a pick + low end prospect; rather than having to take a garbage contract in return.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:59 PM
David71

is hockeywidow considered reliable when it comes to nucks news?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:01 PM
Alflives

Quote:
If Colorado is looking for a roster player/prospect, this is probably as good of a deal as they're going to get. There's no chance that any team will offer something like a Kassian+Jensen package for RoR. They could get something similar to Jensen and a 1st, but anymore substantial than that and the expectation there is that you should be getting someone better than RoR.
Kassian is a non-starter. The Canucks would not trade him. He brings an aspect to the team they don't have elsewhere in their line-up, and he is a young ELC. I do not see the Canucks needing ROR as much as they do a young, big, tough and talented defense-man to play in the top four. John Carlson would be a much better fit for the current Canuck's roster.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:03 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Mixed opinions these days I think, but she used to be pretty solid, what's up?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:05 PM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Mixed opinions these days I think, but she used to be pretty solid, what's up?
i seem to recall she nailed quite a few things. higgins singing lappy etc etc.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:12 PM
kanuck87

Quote:
Kassian is a non-starter. The Canucks would not trade him. He brings an aspect to the team they don't have elsewhere in their line-up, and he is a young ELC. I do not see the Canucks needing ROR as much as they do a young, big, tough and talented defense-man to play in the top four. John Carlson would be a much better fit for the current Canuck's roster.
I never said we should make Kassian expendable. The point was that teams would be dumb to make that kind of offer for RoR and that a Booth/Jensen/2nd round pick would represent good value for the Avs.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Erratic

Closed Thread