HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

OT: Severe Weather Discussion

Old
02-13-2013, 06:53 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

vCash: 500
I just want you guys to know that the storm has tracked south for tonight, which means period of heavy snow will lead to upwards of 8 inches across Long Island tonight. The weather people are being way too broad in their prediction for this storm.

It seems like they smartened up and put out a weather advisory that calls for the possibility of 4-8 inches. I would look for the North Shore of LI to receive the most now. The storm will be gone by tomorrow morning, but I suspect some more closed school districts in the hardest hit areas.

It all depends on how the heavy bands set up, but since the storm has tracked south, those heavy bands will be right over Long island during the overnight hours. It depends how much intensification happens.

Keep your cars in your driveway.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:55 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

As for this weekends storm, looks like we will get a snow storm. The GFS had the storm too far south, but it looks like it will hug the coast and dump a foot of snow + on us through Monday.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:00 AM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
As for this weekends storm, looks like we will get a snow storm. The GFS had the storm too far south, but it looks like it will hug the coast and dump a foot of snow + on us through Monday.
If you are correct about both weather systems I think come Monday the story will not only be the roads,especially the side streets which will quickly run out of places to push the snow, but also roofs which cannot handle all of the weight.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
I just want you guys to know that the storm has tracked south for tonight, which means period of heavy snow will lead to upwards of 8 inches across Long Island tonight. The weather people are being way too broad in their prediction for this storm.

It seems like they smartened up and put out a weather advisory that calls for the possibility of 4-8 inches. I would look for the North Shore of LI to receive the most now. The storm will be gone by tomorrow morning, but I suspect some more closed school districts in the hardest hit areas.

It all depends on how the heavy bands set up, but since the storm has tracked south, those heavy bands will be right over Long island during the overnight hours. It depends how much intensification happens.

Which models are you basing this on? While the weekend storm is still relatively up in the air, I haven't seen any support for an 8+ inch snowfall since a few days ago... If anything I'm going to call for 1-3 for most areas, maybe 2-4 on the southern/eastern areas although I think it'll be closer to the 2's than anything, but we shall see

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:32 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
Which models are you basing this on? While the weekend storm is still relatively up in the air, I haven't seen any support for an 8+ inch snowfall since a few days ago... If anything I'm going to call for 1-3 for most areas, maybe 2-4 on the southern/eastern areas although I think it'll be closer to the 2's than anything, but we shall see
What's the forecast in the Boston area for this weekend storm. Are we going to get hit with anything?

BTW, who the hell needs the weather channel when we have you and IslesBeBack?

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:35 AM
puckstopper55

Send a message via AIM to puckstopper55
Quote:

From the maps that I have seen and the multiple forecasts that I have read, it seems to be in total contradiction to what you mention. I am not, and dont claim to be an expert, but all of the information I have seen says: For tonight, the further south you are the more you will get, but new total snow will be 2-4". For this weekend: half the forecasts call for little to no precipitation, and the ones that do say snow/rain mix with little or no accumulation.

puckstopper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
From the maps that I have seen and the multiple forecasts that I have read, it seems to be in total contradiction to what you mention. I am not, and dont claim to be an expert, but all of the information I have seen says: For tonight, the further south you are the more you will get, but new total snow will be 2-4". For this weekend: half the forecasts call for little to no precipitation, and the ones that do say snow/rain mix with little or no accumulation.
This is exactly what I am seeing and I am praying it's correct. Snow this Saturday would be an absolute disaster for me.

I really hope the guys here on HF are dead wrong.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
What's the forecast in the Boston area for this weekend storm. Are we going to get hit with anything?

BTW, who the hell needs the weather channel when we have you and IslesBeBack?
This weekend is a tougher call, I've always been a fan of the idea that we won't be able to get any sort of good forecast until the environment is set... Since forecast guidance was having trouble telling where this upcoming storm tonight was going, they were going to have a difficult time finding out where this weekends storm was going...

That being said, only 1 model I've seen really wallops the NE, while all the other ones are too far to the east to do anything... I won't say the threat is over, but I wouldn't be calling for anything major at this junction, by tomorrow we should have a good idea of whats going to happen with this weekend... It had a ton of potential, but (as we all know) potential =/= production

Old
02-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
This is exactly what I am seeing and I am praying it's correct. Snow this Saturday would be an absolute disaster for me.

I really hope the guys here on HF are dead wrong.
Hey, I'm calling for 1-3/2-4... granted I had more earlier in the week, but that was monday .

With Nemo I called for 10-15 a couple days before the storm to my family but told them if I'm going to bust its going to be because my forecast was too low... Here, on the other hand, I told them 1-3 for us but really I'm much more worried about the storm really bringing flurries to the area (which, for everyone involved, which would be a better scenario since it would mean less snow)

Really I'm more interested in the timeframe of the 22-23 of this month for some sort of storm... but thats wayyyy too far away to start thinking about that

Old
02-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Hey, I'm calling for 1-3/2-4... granted I had more earlier in the week, but that was monday .

With Nemo I called for 10-15 a couple days before the storm to my family but told them if I'm going to bust its going to be because my forecast was too low... Here, on the other hand, I told them 1-3 for us but really I'm much more worried about the storm really bringing flurries to the area (which, for everyone involved, which would be a better scenario since it would mean less snow)

Really I'm more interested in the timeframe of the 22-23 of this month for some sort of storm... but thats wayyyy too far away to start thinking about that
1-3 would be fine. 4-8 would be quite a ***** driving. I don't exactly have a snow friendly car.

But wow you were dead on with Nemo. I got about 12 inches in Lynbrook so you hit the bullseye on that one... at least in my part of the island.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:32 AM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
1-3 would be fine. 4-8 would be quite a ***** driving. I don't exactly have a snow friendly car.

But wow you were dead on with Nemo. I got about 12 inches in Lynbrook so you hit the bullseye on that one... at least in my part of the island.
Yeah... On my part of the island I busted two-fold though . Who woulda known we'd actually get THAT much precip... and that band that set up over eastern Long Island? simply incredible... incredible...

Old
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
puckstopper55

Quote:
Yeah... On my part of the island I busted two-fold though . Who woulda known we'd actually get THAT much precip... and that band that set up over eastern Long Island? simply incredible... incredible...
Lets hope you are wrong about the 22-23rd, but the future casts seem to be saying up to an inch of rain, which could mean some decent snow. I will be on a business trip returning Friday night, so lets see what happens, but I hope that goes away.

Old
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
Tavaresfan91

I'm going Saturday and Monday to isles games....I hope it's not bad this weekend

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Lets hope you are wrong about the 22-23rd, but the future casts seem to be saying up to an inch of rain, which could mean some decent snow. I will be on a business trip returning Friday night, so lets see what happens, but I hope that goes away.
Me too.. I had to leave early for a Capitals game last weekend and I'm planning on heading up to catch the Isles game in Buffalo on the 23rd... Really hoping there isn't snow!!

As for tonight bring it on I got a huge paper due and have kind of half-assed it so I'm hoping Old Westbury gets closed.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:27 PM
wingnutks

Quote:

What? If tonights storm moves further south we will get less snow. I am guessing 1-3 tonight with a pretty even distribution thru LI with south shore likely to be higher than the north.

This
Quote:
and this
Quote:

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Bones45

Accuweathers forecast is reporting the same forecast for LI as for DPs girl.

1-3"

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
puckstopper55

NOAA has decreased their estimates to 1"-2"
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

Old
02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
apice3*

Hey guys. I'm planning on making my first ever trip to the Coliseum this Saturday. I'm coming from Central NJ. Is the area around the arena clear of the snow? I know the Island got hit pretty hard and certain parts are still being plowed. Any information would be great. Thanks.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Hey guys. I'm planning on making my first ever trip to the Coliseum this Saturday. I'm coming from Central NJ. Is the area around the arena clear of the snow? I know the Island got hit pretty hard and certain parts are still being plowed. Any information would be great. Thanks.
You will have no problem getting to the arena.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:24 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Where are you finding these Euro/GFS/NAM radar reports? I would love to see them for myself.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Where are you finding these Euro/GFS/NAM radar reports? I would love to see them for myself.
The GFS, and NAM are all computer models run by the National Center for Environmental Protection (NCEP)... the GFS and NAM (among others) can be found here...

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/

NAM + GFS run at 0z, 6z, 12z, and 18z (UTC time)

ECMWF (Euro) among others can be found here..

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ewall.html

There are other sites, but these are my favorite!

Old
02-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Noreaster96

Just a quick heads up...

A few models are hinting at the possibility of a more significant snow event for the Island on Saturday... they had been showing light snow showers but are now showing more precipitation... I'm not ready to jump onboard to such a scenario just yet... but come tonights runs if they're still showing it ill get into more detail

Old
02-14-2013, 12:10 PM
puckstopper55

Quote:
Just a quick heads up...

A few models are hinting at the possibility of a more significant snow event for the Island on Saturday... they had been showing light snow showers but are now showing more precipitation... I'm not ready to jump onboard to such a scenario just yet... but come tonights runs if they're still showing it ill get into more detail
can you be more specific as to what they are suggesting now? Are we talking inches, or feet?

Old
02-14-2013, 12:19 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
can you be more specific as to what they are suggesting now? Are we talking inches, or feet?
As always it depends on the track of the storm. It appears to be too far off the coast for us to get any significant snow. If the storm stays on the current track, we might get 1 to 3 inches. Closer to the coast and we might get 3 to 6.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:19 PM
puckstopper55

Quote:
The GFS, and NAM are all computer models run by the National Center for Environmental Protection (NCEP)... the GFS and NAM (among others) can be found here...

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/

NAM + GFS run at 0z, 6z, 12z, and 18z (UTC time)

ECMWF (Euro) among others can be found here..

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/ewall/ewall.html

There are other sites, but these are my favorite!
im trying to figure out exactly what I should/shouldnt be clicking and looking at. One of these looks like a Keno board.