HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
He did trade for the temporary negotiating rights to Christian Ehrhoff... so who knows. Also was willing to give up a just drafted power forward prospect, thought that may have been more luck that Kassian was one of the few prospects Gillis wanted.

My point is, we're seeing more agressive moves out of Regier, so I wouldn't be shocked.
I didn't think the Ehrhoff thing was all that bold. The odds are long on 4th rounders ever making it to the league, and he probably knew they could meet Ehrhoff's demands.

The Hodgon trade was a bit more bold, certainly. I do recall, though, several stories that other teams didn't even know Hodgson could be had and Gillis saying there were only 4 or 5 players for whom they would've traded Hodgson, so that helped to limit suitors. I imagine the Avs are looking to send O'Reilly to the EC, so that helps. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if there are 10-12 teams trying to acquire him. I fear that Regier won't have the winning bid, and we'll eventually see what that bid is.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I could be jumping the gun, but Catenacci could be the final piece of that checking line.

You need defense-oriented forwards to get it done in tight-checking games. Girgensons-O'Reilly-Cat could be fast, in your face and dynamic.

i actually put Cat there, and then replaced it with XXXX

Old
02-13-2013, 02:35 PM
Zip15

Erik Johnson out indefinitely with a head injury after he was hit cleanly into the boards by Martin Hanzal ( ). Season slowly slipping away from the Avs. Get on the horn, Darcy.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:57 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Erik Johnson out indefinitely with a head injury after he was hit cleanly into the boards by Martin Hanzal ( ). Season slowly slipping away from the Avs. Get on the horn, Darcy.
Bet almost any of our d-men would be an upgrade on their their blue line with EJ out. Go, Darth Regier, go!

Old
02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

The stars have aligned Darcy, get it done. He's a picture perfect fit on our team.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
The stars have aligned Darcy, get it done. He's a picture perfect fit on our team.
I don;t think the Johnson injury impacts the Oreilly situation...

If the Avs trade Oreilly, it's not a win now trade

Old
02-13-2013, 03:13 PM
McTank

I think it will be closer to the deadline if he is moved

Old
02-13-2013, 03:15 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I didn't think the Ehrhoff thing was all that bold. The odds are long on 4th rounders ever making it to the league, and he probably knew they could meet Ehrhoff's demands.
For Darcy, it was

Ehrhoff obviously said no to the Islanders contract offers, so a risk was taken that he would say yes to whatever Darcy offered. It was a risk that (a) more money would help (b) Ehrhoff would view Buffalo in any better of a light than NYI

Quote:
The Hodgon trade was a bit more bold, certainly. I do recall, though, several stories that other teams didn't even know Hodgson could be had and Gillis saying there were only 4 or 5 players for whom they would've traded Hodgson, so that helped to limit suitors. I imagine the Avs are looking to send O'Reilly to the EC, so that helps. Still, I wouldn't be shocked if there are 10-12 teams trying to acquire him. I fear that Regier won't have the winning bid, and we'll eventually see what that bid is.
And I think, or hope, that we could see a similar situation, considering Colorado's defensive situation. What other teams can offer a better D-man than Buffalo with Sekera on in ADDITION to a top prospect?

I'm making a big guess that D ends up playing a big factor here, and I think Buffalo has the advantage there.

If the prospect is more important, other teams probably have the edge.

I do see where you're coming from wondering if Darcy will give up those pieces. I hope a few things from the Buffalo side end up making it happen:
(1) Darcy's history of trading for or liking guys like ROR -- Drury (trade), Peca
(2) The fact that Darcy has a lot more financial backing now, MAYBE making him willing to give up better assets this time around.

I know it's a little bit of a stretch.

Last edited by vcv: 02-13-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old
02-13-2013, 03:20 PM
McTank

Could come down to gardiner vs sekera

Old
02-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Gardiner has more value (imo), but we have the better prospects to offer since I doubt the leafs would be willing to move Reilly, certainly not Gardiner and Reilly at least. I also think the Leafs would be a lot less willing to trade Gardiner than we would Sekera.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:33 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Gardiner has more value (imo), but we have the better prospects to offer since I doubt the leafs would be willing to move Reilly, certainly not Gardiner and Reilly at least.
Exactly. I'm not that familiar with their prospect pool, but looking at it, not sure who would be more enticing to Colorado than Armia or Girgensons.

Rielly, probably not going anywhere.
Kardi, a roster player at this point, not a prospect.
Colborne, 4th year in the AHL? That doesn't scream top prospect.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:35 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I could be jumping the gun, but Catenacci could be the final piece of that checking line.

You need defense-oriented forwards to get it done in tight-checking games. Girgensons-O'Reilly-Cat could be fast, in your face and dynamic.
I like that line a lot. Potential wise anyway.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:52 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Florida could almost definitely put together a good package. Probably better than Buffalo.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:56 PM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

Quote:
He should be willing to go to the OS route, but that's another issue entirely.

The bolded is where I can see things breaking down--Colorado will want Ennis (the type of contract they wanted to give O'Reilly, and for less money), and Regier will want to give up Sekera/Stafford +.
I could see him calling down to Shermie to tell him he is going to OS RoR prior to doing it, he is just that kind f GM - IMO, one of two things happens then, either COL says "Go for it, we'll match anything short of 4 1st RNDers", and Darcy never gives out the offer sheet, OR Shermie says "what do you want to give me for him Darcy?" and we overpay in a package going back to Denver.

I am still nt holding my breath, but I sure as hell hope option #2 is the course - If only we had have been smart enough to play out the deal for Turris last year, we wouldn't even need to think about this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
Florida could almost definitely put together a good package. Probably better than Buffalo.
Would he be willing to sign in Miami though?

Old
02-13-2013, 04:13 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I could see him calling down to Shermie to tell him he is going to OS RoR prior to doing it, he is just that kind f GM - IMO, one of two things happens then, either COL says "Go for it, we'll match anything short of 4 1st RNDers", and Darcy never gives out the offer sheet, OR Shermie says "what do you want to give me for him Darcy?" and we overpay in a package going back to Denver.

I am still nt holding my breath, but I sure as hell hope option #2 is the course - If only we had have been smart enough to play out the deal for Turris last year, we wouldn't even need to think about this now.

Would he be willing to sign in Miami though?
We wouldn't need to, but we still should. Turris wouldn't stop me from getting O'Reilly.

Unless I'm reading that wrong and having Turris lessens the blow of trading Ennis? In which case, Bingo.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:20 PM
kenfury

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...y-trade/12559/

Quote:
Please look at Thursday’s paper for more about O’Reilly from his “former” teammates.
I would say he is done being an AV, let the biding begin.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
People aren't seeing the dynamic here. ROR is asking for a contract that diminishes his value significantly and makes him a UFA at 26. Colorado is not going to get what they are asking for. Teams are not going to be willing to part with major assets to pay a player a contract that he hasn't earned.

If we traded Ennis, who has produced more and is on a FAR more flexible contract, AND Armia for ROR, it would be an absolute joke.
Funny, if this was Ennis we were talking about and he played 242 NHL games before the age of 22 and led his team in scoring at 20/21 while also providing highly advanced defensive ability, I'm sure he'd deserve whatever contract he demanded in your eyes..

Old
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013...y-trade/12559/

I would say he is done being an AV, let the biding begin.
I think the situation is going to drag on and become extremely annoying for all of us

Old
02-13-2013, 04:28 PM

I would think that it would be Ennis + Pysyk/McCabe or Sekera + Armia, can't imagine COL wanting

Old
02-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
I think the situation is going to drag on and become extremely annoying for all of us
Colorado has nothing but time. They likely recognize they aren't a Cup contender this season. There's no reason to move him for anything short of a really good deal. The offers will get better as teams become more desperate later in the season.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Oreilly makes Girgenson an even better piece of the puzzle... because ideally, he plays/wreaks havoc on the wing with Oreilly. That's 2 pieces of a future playoff caliber shutdown line

Vanek-Hodgson-Pommer
Girgensons-Oreilly-XXXX
Foligno-Grigorenko-Armia

Buy out Leino
Dump Stafford
Let all the free agents walk
Plenty of cap space to re-sign Vanek and Pommer

Rebuild the blueline

Find a new coach

Dream '16
That's a great top nine. Teams would hate playing against O'Reilly and Girgensons.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Colorado has nothing but time. They likely recognize they aren't a Cup contender this season. There's no reason to move him for anything short of a really good deal. The offers will get better as teams become more desperate later in the season.
Oh we definitely aren't that. Seth Jones contender is more like it.

Dreger says they're in no rush to make a deal....

Quote:
@DarrenDreger
O'Reilly trade talk heating up. Strong interest from the east, but if the Avs don't get the right deal, plan is hold firm and O'Reilly sits.
If you guys think all this talk could get annoying for you, just think about how we feel. This is brutal.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Der Jaeger

Based on what Colorado needs, I think they ask for Sekera + Armia/Girgensons. Colorado needs a top 4 defenseman, but they're deep in defensemen in their pipeline. They need prospects on the wing.

I'd go either way. I do prefer Girgensons' game over Armia's, though. Girgensons and O'Reilly on a two-way line would be truly tough to play against. Put Ennis back over at wing and play him with Grigorenko on the third line.

Regier getting O'Reilly would be the Drury trade 2.0. Exactly what the team needs.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
sabresandcanucks

What if Colorado wants Grigorenko? Do you still package him with Sekera to get the deal done?

I say this because I suspect that is what they mean by "Top Prospect"

Old
02-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
What if Colorado wants Grigorenko? Do you still package him with Sekera to get the deal done?

I say this because I suspect that is what they mean by "Top Prospect"
No, hell no.

Closed Thread