HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Make a move?

Old
02-13-2013, 10:31 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
I'd trade Couturier for Tyler Myers. Although I think if we added a little more to a package with Couturier in it we could get a more proven guy (OEL).
How is OEL more experienced? Myers has been in the league for 3, going on 4 years now with the Calder trophy and 2 years worth of playoff experience. OEL is on his 3rd year now with 1 year playoff experience.

02-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
I've been arguing for a while that Laughton is our best expendable asset.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
He's definitely at least partially redundant, but he doesn't have the value of other players right now, so he won't return anything more than a similarly ranked defensive prospect, a soon-to-be UFA defenseman or a mid-tier guy (think a #3-5) with a few years on his deal. None of those are particularly attractive, so he probably makes the least sense to move unless he's the sweetener to a direct upgrade (i.e. Grossmann + Laughton for a better defenseman).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:28 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
If the Flyers trade him I would prefer it not be for a rental.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 11:39 AM
PropJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
How is OEL more experienced? Myers has been in the league for 3, going on 4 years now with the Calder trophy and 2 years worth of playoff experience. OEL is on his 3rd year now with 1 year playoff experience.
Well I didn't say experienced I said proven, even though that's probably the wrong word for it. I should have said better.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
He's definitely at least partially redundant, but he doesn't have the value of other players right now, so he won't return anything more than a similarly ranked defensive prospect, a soon-to-be UFA defenseman or a mid-tier guy (think a #3-5) with a few years on his deal. None of those are particularly attractive, so he probably makes the least sense to move unless he's the sweetener to a direct upgrade (i.e. Grossmann + Laughton for a better defenseman).
I agree. If Laughton gets dealt it's part of a package.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:41 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
we have giroux, couturier, and schenn at center. We also have two prospects at center in Laughton and Cousins

unless we start converting to wing it may benefit the team to package one of our prospects (thinking cousins or Laughton) for a tip tier defenseman, or maybe try to go after one of the ducks big three.

Looking for opinion because its more a thought to me not something I think must be done.
I am 1000% against making a move concerning our youth. I am all for moving guys like Kimmo,Briere( I know they have NTC), Fedotenko,Wellwood, Gustafsson,Gostisbehere. I want to see this young group grow and play together for years. Keep our picks and kids. If anything add more of both.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Cromster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I am 1000% against making a move concerning our youth. I am all for moving guys like Kimmo,Briere( I know they have NTC), Fedotenko,Wellwood, Gustafsson,Gostisbehere. I want to see this young group grow and play together for years. Keep our picks and kids. If anything add more of both.
I wouldn't trade Feds. He plays the game the right way, no drama, good locker room guy, not too expensive. I've always liked his game. We paid dearly for trading him last time. He efft us up pretty bad when he was in Tampa. That playoff series still gives me the shakes when i watch it to this day.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 03:34 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I'm not sure a 1st round pick + someone from the Flyer's prospect pool (AHL and down) gets you a defender with #1 potential (unreached potential at the moment). Maybe Ghost.

It would address a clear need, however (but I would try very hard to keep Ghost).

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I don't think any of the youth should be moved at this point. I read about how it's so important to acquire a number one defenseman, but when acquiring one practically guts your entire farm system and depletes your draft picks, it's not worth it. I'd rather have Cousins and Laughton on the team. I'd rather keep the multiple first round picks that it's going to cost to acquire said defender.

What the Flyers need is a competent person in the system who can help any of the defensive prospects in our system make it to the next level. For over 10 years now, the Flyers have consistently traded to acquire defensemen. Not one has been homegrown and developed. It's sad and pathetic and it speaks to how defensemen are being used in our system. It's time to get rid of the guys who have been working with the young prospects for the past 10 to 15 years and replace them with someone who actually has a track record of developing defensemen. I'm glad that Terry Murray is in Adirondack and he should be able to help the young d get on track, but he needs more help than what's available down there. Get Murray another competent coach to work with the d prospects and the Flyers will start grooming good and adequate defenders.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
With any luck, Pronger can become our Secretary of Defense and fill that need you've described.

02-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

There's no player out there that will fill the holes we need filled and improve this team. We need a top defenseman but there isn't a market for them. Very rarely is there one for such. The best route to go is to just keep the assets and start filling the prospect pool up. Let this young team grow and gel.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
There's no player out there that will fill the holes we need filled and improve this team. We need a top defenseman but there isn't a market for them. Very rarely is there one for such. The best route to go is to just keep the assets and start filling the prospect pool up. Let this young team grow and gel.
The Flyers need a very good puck moving defenseman and/or a #1 defenseman. Goligoski, Yandle, and Myers may all be available at an affordable value, and they'll be the very good PMD, it can be debated if they're the #1 overall (I'd say no to Gogo, not quite for Yandle, and yes for Myers)

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 08:46 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I wouldn't mind Gonchar if he could be had for cheap. Obviously Myers would be nice but that's major move

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
The Flyers need a very good puck moving defenseman and/or a #1 defenseman. Goligoski, Yandle, and Myers may all be available at an affordable value, and they'll be the very good PMD, it can be debated if they're the #1 overall (I'd say no to Gogo, not quite for Yandle, and yes for Myers)
Yeah but is it wise to keep giving up assets for 3-4 D-man? I dont believe Yandle is a #1 defenseman at all. I see him as a number 2. He a better version of Matt Carle with a better shot but same ole turnovers. Goligoski is the only option that would be at a low cost but he does nothing for the flyers that makes them extremely better. Tyler Myers will not be cheap nor will Yandle.

Flyers need that all around number 1 defenseman. None of those players are that option. Myers could be but he's not. They need to hold on to the prospects we have and picks to start finding that player homegrown. We missed out on Weber and that will be last chance for a while to get that true #1 guy.

This draft is deep on defenseman.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 10:29 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe View Post
Well I didn't say experienced I said proven, even though that's probably the wrong word for it. I should have said better.
Or better yet, that the consistency of his development appears more reliable. Myers has been all over the map and might have been ruined.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 12:12 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*
All-Star

I want OEL and I would give whatever it takes.

Schenn Bros Pizza* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
ilovetheflyers8

My general answer is no as I think the team will be better when Hartnell and Mesz return, and Gus gets called up. In addition I just don't have high expectations for the team this year, so I'd rather the team not give up someone for a person who won't greatly improve the team. That said if Holmgren could get Meyers, I say go for it though the team would have to give up a valuable player and possibly a good pick or prospect (I'm thinking Ghost) for him.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:39 AM
captainpaxil

laughton was just drafted and shenn has already played on the wing. we arent exactly crowded in good young players even with noebels coming up. id say honestly that the key to developing a winning team long term is the depth and dearth of talent so you want to make at most a mid-level (homer classic 2nd) trade. the alt/boucher deal was a great example of what we should be doing right now.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 01:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
I wouldn't mind Gonchar if he could be had for cheap. Obviously Myers would be nice but that's major move
Gonchar doesn't make sense unless we're gathering some final missing piece to charge at a Cup run, especially if we're giving up picks or youth.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 06:53 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
With any luck, Pronger can become our Secretary of Defense and fill that need you've described.
If the Flyers could somehow keep Pronger and Timonen in the organization after they retire, and move Kjell Samuelsson out and replace him with Derian Hatcher to work with the young D prospects, I would love it. Having those three work with the D prospects would be the best thing to happen to those kids. On top of it, you get the three of them in a room together and they'd be able to chart out the best development path for each player and what would be the best role for each defender. I'm all for that.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:02 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

When did Tyler Myers become a 3-4 dman? Am I completely wrong in thinking that Buffalo would be stupid to trade him?

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Psuhockey

I think Briere for a real right wing would be a good idea. He seems like the odd man out at center.

Rw-Giroux-Hartnell
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
McGinn-Schenn-Viracek

I like Chris Stewart for Briere but I think I might be in the minority.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:44 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think Briere for a real right wing would be a good idea. He seems like the odd man out at center.

Rw-Giroux-Hartnell
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
McGinn-Schenn-Viracek

I like Chris Stewart for Briere but I think I might be in the minority.
Ya stewart hasnt been good the past two years. Id be very weary trading briere for him. Your getting younger but definitely downgrading.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2013, 09:56 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If the Flyers could somehow keep Pronger and Timonen in the organization after they retire, and move Kjell Samuelsson out and replace him with Derian Hatcher to work with the young D prospects, I would love it. Having those three work with the D prospects would be the best thing to happen to those kids. On top of it, you get the three of them in a room together and they'd be able to chart out the best development path for each player and what would be the best role for each defender. I'm all for that.
I would pay to be a fly on the wall for defenseman conversations between Hatcher, Kimmo, and Pronger.

SeanCWombBroom is online now   Reply With Quote