HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red?

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 01:07 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakan2Holland View Post
Yeah, pass.

I'd rather trade some of our excess/fringe NHLers (Mursak, Kindl, Miller, Lashoff, Emmerton, Cleary, etc.) for additional draft picks. Then go after UFAs for "free" in the offseason and trade for support players when they become available and we seem like top contenders.
Great plan.

Maybe the next Mikeal Samuelsson will be available in free agency next year.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:11 PM
GrafSk8r12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Good god, he's gotten 50 points once in his career, if we're given that up we better be getting either a #2 dman with #1 potential, or a #1 center with constant 70+ points.

I'm not sure if anyone else reads hockeybuzz (I know it's Eklund, but hear me out) Eklund said in his recent update that if Getzlaf makes FA the wings have a plan in place to go after him. What do you think we'd offer him?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...3#.URuY66Xm5Mk
I thought Getzlaf was all but certain to re-sign in Anaheim because his wife and family love it out there and consider it home. Perry, on the other hand, is someone I wouldn't mind us throwing money at. Plus he wouldn't have to worry about this happening again:

Old
02-13-2013, 01:13 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Eh, Schneider and Rafi never played on the PK either. You are bringing him in to fill our most glaring need: a high end offensive defenseman. Put him on the left side and pair him with Big E and the top pairing is set for a long time. Don't worry, it ain't happening, the Wings do not make blockbuster trades now that there is a salary cap.
Yandle just isn't that good.
And he's a lefty

Old
02-13-2013, 01:16 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
Not sure why people are thinking we should trade for Green or Yandle when we have Kronwall/ Smith/ Quincey/ etc. We should be trying to get a shutdown guy.

02-13-2013, 01:17 PM
newfy

Perrys from London, closest NHL team to there is Detroit, Toronto is close as well. That might play a factor in if he wants to come to his home area again

Old
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
No, but his body is.

Sorry, ill pass until Green can hit 40+ points again while playing 75+ games 2 years in a row.

My want list does not = realistic possibility.

-Nick Foligno (CBJ)
-Mark Streit (decent, could help our ****** PP)
-Zach Bogosian (WPG)
-Mark Stuart (WPG)
-Ryan O'Reilly, but unlike someone else, i am not willing to mortgage 100 assets of value for him.
I'm for Bogo- but he'll cost even more.
Foligno and OReilly? Why?

Streit? Smallish. Lefty. 34. Career high 16 goals, 62 points
Green, 6'2, Righty. 26. career high 31 goals, 76 points
Bogo. 6'3, Righty, 22 career high 10 goals 30 points.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:20 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Not sure why people are thinking we should trade for Green or Yandle when we have Kronwall/ Smith/ Quincey/ etc. We should be trying to get a shutdown guy.
Green I like because he's a righty. And if you can get a top right-hand defenseman, you do it. Because they are pretty rare.
And we also need a solid right-handed defensive D.

The needs on this team are many.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:24 PM
joe89

Quote:
I wouldn't pass on a prime puck mover like Yandle signed to a reasonable contract. Could definitely do without Green however who's injured more often than not. But most of what we have in the pipeline are either two-way or offensive guys, so the primary need should be a big body that can play on our first PK unit and log tough 5on5 minutes.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:25 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Green I like because he's a righty. And if you can get a top right-hand defenseman, you do it. Because they are pretty rare.
And we also need a solid right-handed defensive D.

The needs on this team are many.
I can agree with that, and would imagine that Smith or Quincey would be going in a deal for him, but it just seems weird that people keep throwing out Green, Yandle and Streit as targets. We need a big crease clearer who stays back and just claps bombs on net. Ericsson is looking to be that type of guy now, but we should really have a better one moving forward.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I wouldn't pass on a prime puck mover like Yandle signed to a reasonable contract. Could definitely do without Green however who's injured more often than not. But most of what we have in the pipeline are either two-way or offensive guys, so the primary need should be a big body that can play on our first PK unit and log tough 5on5 minutes.
I would agree with you if Yandle had played anywhere near his peak in the last season or two. Pretty sure he was a healthy scratch the other night, but can't recall if that actually happened or not. Doesn't seem like a reliable guy to me.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
quincey isnt good enough first and foremost. he may be playing better lately but he is still not very good

kronwall is NOT a #1 dman nor is he a trully effective ppqb for your #1 pp unit. I love kronner but lets not put so much pressure on him that we expect him to be able to do all things

smith is at least 3-4 years away from being a consistent 45plus pt producer(this year no, next year nope, year after maybe, year after hoperfuly)

shutdown dman(like a brad stuart) can usually be acquired very easily and cheaply and are very interchangeable(by and large)

a true top pairing dman capable of playing 25plus mins a night is much harder to find and significantly more important to a teams success.

Old
02-13-2013, 01:35 PM
joe89

Quote:
I would agree with you if Yandle had played anywhere near his peak in the last season or two. Pretty sure he was a healthy scratch the other night, but can't recall if that actually happened or not. Doesn't seem like a reliable guy to me.
His offensive numbers and role have declined with Phoenix as OEL has surpassed him. He's gone from 24:30/4:30 PP to 22:20min/3:30 PP to 21:50/3:00 PP since 10/11. For us, he'd be the first unit QB with 4+ PP minutes again(Kronwall is logging 5:03 so far this year..)

Old
02-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Perrys from London, closest NHL team to there is Detroit, Toronto is close as well. That might play a factor in if he wants to come to his home area again
Yeah, Perry would be a great get, I just don't see us winning a bidding war. If we can trade for his rights that'd be the way to go. It'd be nice to have at least one season of Datsyuk setting him up.

Old
02-13-2013, 02:06 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Perry played junior hockey in London, but he's from Peterborough.

Much closer to Toronto, but also closer to Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal than to Detroit.

Old
02-13-2013, 03:49 PM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Holland will not be bringing an impact player in at the deadline. As many others have said, we simply do not have the assets (since Helm and Smith are untouchables) to acquire the pieces we need most - a sniper for Pav and a top 4 shut down defenseman.

Kenny will wait for Smith and CC to fully heal (before he gets hurt again) and say that these are our deadline "acquisitions" lol

Old
02-13-2013, 03:57 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Perry played junior hockey in London, but he's from Peterborough.

Much closer to Toronto, but also closer to Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal than to Detroit.
Pretty sure Perry still has a house in London though. Could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure

Hockey buzz (I know, I know) says the wings have a plan in place to go for Bobby Ryan if the ducks need money to sign the other 2

Old
02-13-2013, 04:32 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

I'm... I'm seeing something. The haze, it's shifting. What's that? What are you trying to tell me?!

The Wings are getting Ovechkin, with at least Franzen, Nyquist, and Smith going the other way. Datsyuk will center OV and return him to his former glory.

That is my prediction for the trade deadline.

IIIIIIII HAAAAAAAAAAVE SPOOOOOOOKENNNNNNNN

Old
02-13-2013, 04:43 PM
RedWinger10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditating Guru View Post
I'm... I'm seeing something. The haze, it's shifting. What's that? What are you trying to tell me?!

The Wings are getting Ovechkin, with at least Franzen, Nyquist, and Smith going the other way. Datsyuk will center OV and return him to his former glory.

I wouldn't mind seeing it happen but let's be realistic, I don't see the caps going for it. And a lot of people on this thread would strongly disagree.(most pining for a top D-man) I don't see Kenny burning that much cap space while simultaneously depleting the blue line by losing Smith.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Rock Renegade View Post
i would do smith, nyquist and jurco, but i think it would take even more
MORE than TWO young, NHL-ready talents AND a flashy prospect? MORE?!?

There isn't a team in this league that is going to trade that for an unsigned hold-out of a player, no matter how good and young he is. Hell, even if he were signed, Colorado would be lucky to get that for him.

If he remains a hold out, Colorado can probably expect, at best, a young established NHLer, a good prospect, and a pick. Something like Smith, Jurco, and a 2nd. But that doesn't make much sense, given how much we need defenseman now.

Old
02-13-2013, 04:57 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I don't see Kenny burning that much cap space while simultaneously depleting the blue line by losing Smith.
I doubt Holland would go for that trade either.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:12 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post

I actually don't think Ovechkin would land Franzen + Nyquist + Smith + X going into next season with a $64 million cap. Ovechkin will cost 15% of the cap.

Ovechkin is still a 1st line stud, but no one wants to pay $9.5M for what seems to be a 35G, 80P winger with progressively worse playoff stats, a questionable attitude, and an average-at-best two-way game.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we could get Ovechkin for Franzen + Nyquist + one or two non-first round picks. His contract IS that bad.

Old
02-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
We will hear more excuses about cost at the deadline and liking the team we have. And get "insert injured Red Wings" back is like making a trade.

Old
02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWinger10 View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing it happen but let's be realistic, I don't see the caps going for it. And a lot of people on this thread would strongly disagree.(most pining for a top D-man) I don't see Kenny burning that much cap space while simultaneously depleting the blue line by losing Smith.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I doubt Holland would go for that trade either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I actually don't think Ovechkin would land Franzen + Nyquist + Smith + X going into next season with a $64 million cap. Ovechkin will cost 15% of the cap.

Ovechkin is still a 1st line stud, but no one wants to pay $9.5M for what seems to be a 35G, 80P winger with progressively worse playoff stats, a questionable attitude, and an average-at-best two-way game.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we could get Ovechkin for Franzen + Nyquist + one or two non-first round picks. His contract IS that bad.
(sets reverb to "Stun")

*ahem*

IIIIIIIII HAAAAAAAVE SPOOOOOKENNNNN!!

Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fading Captain View Post
Great plan.

Maybe the next Mikeal Samuelsson will be available in free agency next year.
Just because Holland didn't bother looking at them did not mean there weren't quality FAs available. The offseason before this I wanted one of Ryder or Fleishman, and a player like Pitkitan in addition to Ian White.

Last offseason we probably could have gotten players like Alex Semin had Holland not been infatuated with the pipe dream that was Shane Doan. Just because Holland is unwilling to deviate from a pre-set plan does not mean there are not good FAs available.

Old
02-13-2013, 10:00 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post

Not that I think this trade will happen but if it did Washington would have the option of keeping part of Ovechkin's salary.

I think they can keep up to 50% of it. The more they keep though, the more it will probably cost the other team in prospects/picks going to Washington.

Closed Thread