HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Kirill Kabanov - What's Up?

Old
02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
NHLFreak

vCash: 500
Kirill Kabanov - What's Up?

Was scrolling through your prospect info but nothing recent there on him so Ive started this thread.
If I missed something i humbly apologize - Please link me ....
I know he had his arm cut/surgery a few months ago but have heard nothing since.

Any updates. Do you still hold out hope for him?

NHLFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
Was scrolling through your prospect info but nothing recent there on him so Ive started this thread.
If I missed something i humbly apologize - Please link me ....
I know he had his arm cut/surgery a few months ago but have heard nothing since.

Any updates. Do you still hold out hope for him?
He's 20 yrs old and has played only 10 games, in his first pro season. Isn't it kind of early to be giving up on KK?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 05:56 PM
NHLFreak

Apologize if my wording is misleading. I definitely wasnt insinuating that.
Just wanted an update and some thoughts on him from the experts who know him better

Thanks

Old
02-13-2013, 06:01 PM
CREW99AW

You might want to take a look in the Bridgeport thread on the board. I'm not sure if 10 games, is really a big enough sample to give us an idea of KK's upside.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFreak View Post
Apologize if my wording is misleading. I definitely wasnt insinuating that.
Just wanted an update and some thoughts on him from the experts who know him better

Thanks
He looked good in the first couple of games in the AHL this year...then he sliced his wrist and was out for most of the season. His first couple of games back he was in a limited role, and wasn't all that noticeable, which was to be expected. The last game they played though, I thought Kabanov was one of the better players on the ice. I haven't seen all that much of him because of the injury, and never really saw him play in juniors (one game that happened to be on TV). But from the few games in Bridgeport and how he looked in preseason last year, I was very impressed with his vision. Not sure how much of a goal scorer he'll be...I just haven't seen him shoot enough yet to have an opinion one way or another, but if he ever does break into the NHL, I think some sniper somewhere is going to love getting passes from him.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:20 PM
NHLFreak

Nice to hear VJ and Ill check the Bridgeport thread Crew.

Thanks again

Old
02-13-2013, 06:24 PM
scott99

He's wayyyy down the line of Islander's forward prospects behind Neiderreiter, Brock Nelson, Strome, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Persson and Anders Lee. Then I might put Kabanov. Though if there's ever a chance of getting Kirill Petrov over here from the KHL, Kabanov would be behind him too. Seems like a career minor leaguer or KHL player. Nice kid, overrated talent. Never dominated anywhere. 139 career points in Junior in 137 career games.

I know he's young, and been injured a lot, BUT, he's never proven to be a top 6 forward, never been a goal scorer, has never dominated at any time in any league. The forwards I've mentioned ahead of him in the talent pool, they all at least have proven something, had moments of greatness. Kabanov has NEVER shown anything of the sort.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
startainfection

he just got back in to the line up a few games ago and he had an assist last night

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
He's wayyyy down the line of Islander's forward prospects behind Neiderreiter, Brock Nelson, Strome, Ullstrom, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Persson and Anders Lee. Then I might put Kabanov. Though if there's ever a chance of getting Kirill Petrov over here from the KHL, Kabanov would be behind him too. Seems like a career minor leaguer or KHL player. Nice kid, overrated talent. Never dominated anywhere. 139 career points in Junior in 137 career games.

I know he's young, and been injured a lot, BUT, he's never proven to be a top 6 forward, never been a goal scorer, has never dominated at any time in any league. The forwards I've mentioned ahead of him in the talent pool, they all at least have proven something, had moments of greatness. Kabanov has NEVER shown anything of the sort.
139 points in 137 games is overrated?? Other then a crazy father, everything else I read and see about him showing that he maturing rather nicely and showing his talent. If he wasnt injured and was on the same scoring pace as Nino and made the AHL all star team we would be creating threads to bring him up also.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:41 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
139 points in 137 games is overrated?? Other then a crazy father, everything else I read and see about him showing that he maturing rather nicely and showing his talent. If he wasnt injured and was on the same scoring pace as Nino and made the AHL all star team we would be creating threads to bring him up also.
When he was mentioned as a top 5 draft prospect a year prior to his draft year, and scores a grand total of 139 points in 137 games, yeah that's way overrated. 139 points in 3 Junior seasons (46 points a season average), yes overrated. People were saying he was an elite talent, so yeah, overrated.

He's never proven to be able to live up to the huge hype surrounding him. If he wasn't Russian, there would never had been the hype, if he were Canadian, you'd hardly ever hear about him, because he has never impressed, never dominated anywhere.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:48 PM
InformTheMasses

Elite overall player? No. He does have elite puck control though. His handle and size/strength alone will allow him to be a useful player on the third or 4th line. He's not a top 6 or bust type guy. And there is some substantial upside to his point production as well as his vision and unselfishness are at a very high level.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 06:53 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
When he was mentioned as a top 5 draft prospect a year prior to his draft year, and scores a grand total of 139 points in 137 games, yeah that's way overrated. 139 points in 3 Junior seasons (46 points a season average), yes overrated. People were saying he was an elite talent, so yeah, overrated.

He's never proven to be able to live up to the huge hype surrounding him. If he wasn't Russian, there would never had been the hype, if he were Canadian, you'd hardly ever hear about him, because he has never impressed, never dominated anywhere.
watch him play, he is arguably the best player at protecting the puck currently not in the nhl or khl

his puck protection along with his hands, hockey sense and size will make him an elite player in his prime

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:11 PM
TCogley

Send a message via AIM to TCogley Send a message via Yahoo to TCogley
I worked on his car...he brings it to my shop in CT...nice guy...kinda quiet tho!

TCogley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 07:19 PM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCogley View Post
I worked on his car...he brings it to my shop in CT...nice guy...kinda quiet tho!
Thats funny. I was at a party with him last year. He was outside drinking a bunch of booze out of his car, came back into the party drunk. One of the bar tenders noticed he was drunk and had brought some of his booze into the bar... she kindly ask him to not drink inside the bar because he is under 21, he told her to "shut up *****"

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Mustang2750

I ran into him in the coliseum once last season during an Isles game and he was walking around the concourse high-fiving fans with a foam hand

Edit: Fans who actually recognized him lol...about 2% of the coliseum.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote