HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles to Brooklyn 2015 Part III **Preseason Game v Devils 9-21-13

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2013, 06:59 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 500
http://news.yahoo.com/video/sportsmi...050000329.html

Interesting arena feature.

02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Bruce Wayne and Alfred would be proud. Thats pretty kool..

Old
02-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Steve55

http://www.oysterbaytown.com/index.a...C91237BE7C9%7D

Town of Oyster Bay Presents New York Rangers Hockey Weekend in New York

Special Event Slated for Monday, February 18th at the Town’s Ice Skating Center

Political backlash has possibly started.

Old
02-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013...e/?stream=true

SHAKE SHACK TO OPEN SECOND BROOKLYN LOCATION IN FALL 2013

Beloved Burger Stand Setting Up Shop Directly Across From Barclays Center

NEW YORK, NY – February 12, 2013 – No sleep ‘til Brooklyn! Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) is proud to announce it will open its second Brooklyn Shake Shack in Fall 2013. The new Shack will make its home at 170 Flatbush Avenue, just a three-pointer and slap shot away from Barclays Center—NYC’s exciting new entertainment destination and home of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets and NHL’s New York Islanders (2015).

A milkshake and a pizza slice would be nice before an Isles game.

Hopefully I will attend one within the next decade.

MMMMM SHAKE SHACK.

Wasn't that what Travolta & Olivia Newton-John were dancing in front of at the end of GREASE?

Old
02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I'm assuming the answer is 'yes', but is the BC ready to go if the Isles decide to move there this fall?

Old
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Couldn't find a master Brooklyn thread and since it is being talked about here

Obviously the New York Islanders will be the team name, based upon everything I have heard and read, but what would be the reaction if they renamed the team the "Brooklyn Americans"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Americans

Just to toss it out there--I liked their old unis

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

I think they should change their name to be called the Brooklyn something or anothers--

Old
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I think they should change their name to be called the Brooklyn something or anothers--
No

Just no

Too much history. I don't mind them adding Brooklyn to the Island on our logo and making a third jersey reppin' Brooklyn, but that is as far as it should go.

Old
02-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Bunk Moreland

Quote:
I'm sure there are some people who wouldn't mind but I gotta think and overwhelmingly large majority of the fanbase would be pretty pissed if that were to occur.. I know its pretty much a given we will see a Brooklyn third jersey of some sort but I want them to stay as is.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:50 AM
iLandHer

I agree with everyone else, a third jersey is a must or possibly the addition of the letter 'B' somewhere on the jersey...but other than that, they should remain the Islanders.

After all, Brooklyn is a part of the island geographically speaking.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:12 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
No

Just no

Too much history. I don't mind them adding Brooklyn to the Island on our logo and making a third jersey reppin' Brooklyn, but that is as far as it should go.
Well, you get to kill the Islanders off forever, so no more need to worry about the franchise being soiled. The Brooklyn Bagadonuts!

Besides, this isn't the same franchise that Pickett had. Wang won't even acknowledge the old guard unless it's to sell tickets in some charade.

Look at it as if Brooklyn bought an expansion team and the Isles folded!

Sounds better than Charles Wang ran the team into the ground, alienated fans, drove attendance to pathetic levels and kept any player from wanting to sign here so he moved to another location to sell bad hockey to an area deep seeded with rival fans, doesn't it?

Either fold the team or keep the jersey and name the same. You don't change the name and keep the privilege of being a four time Cup winning operation after leaving the fanbase's historic locale. That'd be like the Yankees changing their name to the Hartford Yummy Mumsie's and insisting they were the team Ruth played for.....

Old
02-16-2013, 09:59 AM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Well, you get to kill the Islanders off forever, so no more need to worry about the franchise being soiled. The Brooklyn Bagadonuts!

Besides, this isn't the same franchise that Pickett had. Wang won't even acknowledge the old guard unless it's to sell tickets in some charade.

Look at it as if Brooklyn bought an expansion team and the Isles folded!

Sounds better than Charles Wang ran the team into the ground, alienated fans, drove attendance to pathetic levels and kept any player from wanting to sign here so he moved to another location to sell bad hockey to an area deep seeded with rival fans, doesn't it?

Either fold the team or keep the jersey and name the same. You don't change the name and keep the privilege of being a four time Cup winning operation after leaving the fanbase's historic locale. That'd be like the Yankees changing their name to the Hartford Yummy Mumsie's and insisting they were the team Ruth played for.....
It's not like they are moving to Hartford or some other city and keeping the name. Is Brooklyn that much of a change or so far away that the team will lose all fans and its identity?

Should the team have just moved out the area? It seems that was the only other option at this point as no other arena was going to magically spring out of nowhere.

I don't even live on LI anymore, and my rule to remain a fan was that it stay in the metro area. It is not the ideal option, but I believe it is better than the alternative. Living in Cleveland, my new team options were either Detroit or Pittsburgh. Blue Jackets would have been a tough sell, too many "Islanders-like" issues there too.

Just curious what you believe the other option was.

Looks like Wang wants out, maybe we will all get our wish.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...jlNKje6m8xHezN

Old
02-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

I'd rather the team not be sold to a group but rather an individual. Similar to what Buffalo had. Call the nets owner up and offer a discount.

Old
02-16-2013, 10:30 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I'd rather the team not be sold to a group but rather an individual. Similar to what Buffalo had. Call the nets owner up and offer a discount.
i agree

Old
02-16-2013, 03:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSturat View Post
It's not like they are moving to Hartford or some other city and keeping the name. Is Brooklyn that much of a change or so far away that the team will lose all fans and its identity?

Should the team have just moved out the area? It seems that was the only other option at this point as no other arena was going to magically spring out of nowhere.

I don't even live on LI anymore, and my rule to remain a fan was that it stay in the metro area. It is not the ideal option, but I believe it is better than the alternative. Living in Cleveland, my new team options were either Detroit or Pittsburgh. Blue Jackets would have been a tough sell, too many "Islanders-like" issues there too.

Just curious what you believe the other option was.

Looks like Wang wants out, maybe we will all get our wish.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...jlNKje6m8xHezN
What was being discussed was not the move, which alienates a ton of fans but is not gonna be that bad if the trains are available late night.

What was being debated and I responded to was changing the name. Changing the jerseys.

You do that, might as well just create a new team. We'd be the Winnipeg Jets to the Atlanta fan. The Isles jersey, name, brand GONE and with it goes the link to tradition, history and veterans.

Anyone buying this team for $3OOM wants the old guard wit it. They are paying for the history and culture and brand identity (that was} and would be hoping to reclaim the old status and fanbase.

So I doubt it will happen. The Brooklyn Bagadonuts franchise won't happen. That was my point. A sale cements that opinion. Now Wang is a moron, though......

Old
02-16-2013, 04:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Couldn't find a master Brooklyn thread and since it is being talked about here

Obviously the New York Islanders will be the team name, based upon everything I have heard and read, but what would be the reaction if they renamed the team the "Brooklyn Americans"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Americans

Just to toss it out there--I liked their old unis
Seems kind of pointless to effectively throw away forty years of history, and a freaking dynasty, behind a name only to revive a name that's been dead for seven decades and barely anybody actually remembers.

Old
02-16-2013, 11:26 PM
RealSturat

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
What was being discussed was not the move, which alienates a ton of fans but is not gonna be that bad if the trains are available late night.

What was being debated and I responded to was changing the name. Changing the jerseys.

You do that, might as well just create a new team. We'd be the Winnipeg Jets to the Atlanta fan. The Isles jersey, name, brand GONE and with it goes the link to tradition, history and veterans.

Anyone buying this team for $3OOM wants the old guard wit it. They are paying for the history and culture and brand identity (that was} and would be hoping to reclaim the old status and fanbase.

So I doubt it will happen. The Brooklyn Bagadonuts franchise won't happen. That was my point. A sale cements that opinion. Now Wang is a moron, though......
I agree, I am for the move as I said since it seems the team is keeping it's history. I don't mind some embrace of the new territory in a third jersey or whatnot. It would be naive to think it was not inevitable.

When all is said and done I am just glad they are staying in the NY metro area, just because WE are the best fans in the world! All of us, all the teams. At our best, no one beats us. That's why they all hate us.

Brooklyn Bagodonuts...you better copyright that.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:32 AM
Bert Marshall days

Finally heard a mention of the new arena by Howie and Butch during the game last night.

While discussing the bad ice at nvmc butch said they need a new arena and howie said coming attractions they now have a place.

Not long but something.

Old
02-28-2013, 12:33 PM
BorzNYI

So the Barclays Center has had a page up since late October for deposits on seats at the BC for Isles.. has anybody done this.. if so, what does it get you (sections, etc)

http://https://oss.ticketmaster.com/...tails/barclays

Just curious what its all about since its big on money (200 dollars) and short on details on what it actually entitles you to.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:26 PM
bluechipbonzo

Greg Millen just said "I know the negotiations are underway" to buy the Islanders lease out of Nassau on the Sportsnet broadcast...

Old
02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Greg Millen just said "I know the negotiations are underway" to buy the Islanders lease out of Nassau on the Sportsnet broadcast...
I heard the same.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
I heard the same.
As in you're watching the same broadcast from the safety of your bunker (or should I say eagle's nest?), or something else?

Kindly elaborate...

Old
02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Quote:
I heard the same.
Quote:
As in you're watching the same broadcast from the safety of your bunker (or should I say eagle's nest?), or something else?

Kindly elaborate...

I'm watching the Toronto feed on Center Ice. I also heard him say what you said Greg Millen said.

Old
02-28-2013, 07:54 PM
M Moulson Ale
Brockoli

Quote:
I'm watching the Toronto feed on Center Ice. I also heard him say what you said Greg Millen said.
Is this as in moving the Isles out of Nassau a year early or....?

Old
02-28-2013, 10:44 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
Is this as in moving the Isles out of Nassau a year early or....?
Not sure I understand the question, but the only thing keeping them on LI is the lease, I believe. So as soon as they buy it out they could move to Brooklyn. If they buy it out now they could start next season in Brooklyn.

Closed Thread